Thrasher

Is Part 9 Jason too weak?

Does anyone else get the feeling he's a little unbalanced? I don't think the slightly faster Shift and Stalk regeneration make up for the fact that he has less HP and less traps. The stun resistance seems non-existent too, he seems to take just as many hits as a Jason without it.

Every time I play him, I do the worst. I don't seem to have this problem with any of the other Jasons. He just seems kind of useless, which is a shame because he is one of the coolest looking ones. Anyone else feel this way?

He probably just doesn't fit your play style. I know lots of people think part 6 is amazing. I personally can't stand playing part 6.

• Like 2

To be honest, there is only 3 Jasons that is well-rounded enough to defend both objective and skilled mob/kill-squads,  Savini, Part3, and Part8.   Not counting Savini, Part 3 is the strongest since every Jason that doesn't have weapon strength will have trouble cutting down mobs or groups.  Every Jason not these 3 has something that ether weakens his ability to effectively control objectives or puts Jason at a disadvantage to Kill-squads.  I agree with you, while +Shift is nice, it not that good too lose out on 2 traps and weapon strength, I believe Part9 has now fallen behind Part7.

I think he is still one of the best in the Right Hands but he really doesn't deserve the minus traps. Less HP makes almost no difference and stun resistance has varying results. But I like stun resistance but it could Need a buff.

He's one of the best for my playstyle. Only his -traps bother me. And weapon strength is awesome. I actually Always do worst when I Play Part VIII.

But I love my Boy Part IX , He is my main!:JasonPt9:  But if it gets serious , Retro-Jason will do the Job.

26 minutes ago, thrawn3054 said:

I know lots of people thibk part 6 is amazing

Ah, yes, the "Lennie Small" Jason.  I'm fairly confident in my decision to NOT allow him to pet the puppy.

I love part nine.... he is my go to Jason.

I love the plus stalk and shift I can be stealthy or aggressive.

• Like 2

Part 9 is weak early in the match, but beastly late in the match.

The key is to protect the phone early and tunnel anyone near it if they insist on trying to come near.  Later in the match you can catch the car and anyone else from a ridiculous distance.

He's my favorite Jason, but on small maps he can be frustrating since all objectives can be completed within about a minute.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GeneiJin said:

To be honest, there is only 3 Jasons that is well-rounded enough to defend both objective and skilled mob/kill-squads,  Savini, Part3, and Part8.   Not counting Savini, Part 3 is the strongest since every Jason that doesn't have weapon strength will have trouble cutting down mobs or groups.  Every Jason not these 3 has something that ether weakens his ability to effectively control objectives or puts Jason at a disadvantage to Kill-squads.  I agree with you, while +Shift is nice, it not that good too lose out on 2 traps and weapon strength, I believe Part9 has now fallen behind Part7.

Part 2: Good map control although when the objectives start moving he is as good as done for due to a slow shift and slow water speed, you have to defend the objectives with his plenty of traps and he very fast morph or you’ll have a very hard time catching them.

Part 3: Very well balanced as he doesn’t have any crippling weaknesses. Weapon strength can also help a lot.

Part 4: A more aggressive style of Part 2 although I feel as though he is weaker because of his slow shift, water speed, AND only three traps. He doesn’t have the traps or morph to defend objectives. You have to get early kills especially in smaller maps or you’ll have a real hard time.

Part 5: Weakest Jason against group attacks. He has nothing very good going for him and his weaknesses make him vulnerable to group attacks. Stay away from mobs at all costs.

Part 6: Very underrated but he heavily relies on shift. He has a bad morph but that’s really the only downfall to this Jason.

Part 7: Still not one of my favorites, although the buff was needed. He still gets bullied more than other Jason’s. Still can’t remember the last time I was killed by a Part 7 player ?

Part 8: Very well balanced with no crippling weaknesses.

Part 9: Ehh...he can go either way depending on the players skill. Great shift and stalk can help a lot in chases.

Savini: People say he is the best Jason, he is certainly top tier due to having strengths in three of the best categories (shift, weapon strength, destruction). Every time you see a Savini player, watch out.

22 minutes ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

Part 5: Weakest Jason against group attacks. He has nothing very good going for him and his weaknesses make him vulnerable to group attacks. Stay away from mobs at all costs.

Absolutely not. A running Jason with +TK can be very powerful, and on the contrary those extra knives are your best weapon against group combat as they are Jason’s only ranged attack, and also 100% unpunishable. There are also combos you can do with them which makes them very valuable for combat overall, and deal as much dmg on their own as a +Weapon Str slash (30).

In regards to -Defence, I am releasing a guide later today which will prove without a doubt that the only difference between Base Def and -Def is lower HP. Approx 10 less health, exactly the same as J9’s Less HP. There is no such thing as block chance / block chance is always 100%. Other than -Def, Roy has no real weaknesses.

• Like 1

Part 9 is my one of my favorites in the game. It depends on playstyle, but his +shift is amazing to me, I nearly always get 6+ kills with him. His -traps sucks, but I feel his +shift more than makes up for it. Part 9 and Savini are my 2 mains.

32 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

Absolutely not. A running Jason with +TK can be very powerful, and on the contrary those extra knives are your best weapon against group combat as they are Jason’s only ranged attack, and also 100% unpunishable. There are also combos you can do with them which makes them very valuable for combat overall, and deal as much dmg on their own as a +Weapon Str slash (30).

In regards to -Defence, I am releasing a guide later today which will prove without a doubt that the only difference between Base Def and -Def is lower HP. Approx 10 less health, exactly the same as J9’s Less HP. There is no such thing as block chance / block chance is always 100%. Other than -Def, Roy has no real weaknesses.

He doesn’t have many weaknesses...he is just a “meh” Jason to me. Extremely mediocre at best. His strengths and weaknesses are not game changing in the slightest. His -grip strength MAY let a highly composed counselor out of his game but it isn’t a biggie. Still paired with the fact that he is one of the more easily stunned Jason and he STILL has 10 less health then let’s say Part 4. He is demasked easier and is stunned easier, weaker against group attacks than most other Jason characters.

Not everybody blocks attack, I rarely if ever see most Jason’s block attacks. A lot of them will just run up you and swing or grab expecting not to get stunned. An experienced Jason player wouldn’t but we are talking the majority of the players AKA randoms in QP. You also have to have precision on throwing knives and counselors can still dodge the knives and they have sprays paired with the medic perk and if there is 5 of them all together they will stick together and you do not have infinite knives, you’ll run out. With 5 counselors together you are gonna lose that mask in a heartbeat.

Part 9 isn't weak IMO. His speed more than makes up for his cons and in the right hands he wipes a lobby in no time.

1 hour ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

He doesn’t have many weaknesses...he is just a “meh” Jason to me. Extremely mediocre at best. His strengths and weaknesses are not game changing in the slightest. His -grip strength MAY let a highly composed counselor out of his game but it isn’t a biggie. Still paired with the fact that he is one of the more easily stunned Jason and he STILL has 10 less health then let’s say Part 4. He is demasked easier and is stunned easier, weaker against group attacks than most other Jason characters.

-Stun Resistance is actually a favorable stat against high dmg weapons eg. machete, axe. You would rather be stunned and take almost zero damage, rather than take 75-80 just off one heavy hit from a 10 Str. Stun Resist is one of the last things I intend to test as well however. Also 10 more health simply = 1 less mistake. If a group is intent on demasking you then they can just as easily succeed, if a normal Def Jason even steps in a bear trap he is already almost down to -Def / Less HP stat. Or even 1 close range shotgun will take about half your health. It is simply too easy to demask Jason, his mask HP is a joke even at base stat so it is basically a non-point. 

1 hour ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

Not everybody blocks attack, I rarely if ever see most Jason’s block attacks. A lot of them will just run up you and swing or grab expecting not to get stunned. An experienced Jason player wouldn’t but we are talking the majority of the players AKA randoms in QP. You also have to have precision on throwing knives and counselors can still dodge the knives and they have sprays paired with the medic perk and if there is 5 of them all together they will stick together and you do not have infinite knives, you’ll run out. With 5 counselors together you are gonna lose that mask in a heartbeat.

Well yes but we are talking in the context of skilled players. There is no discussion to be had about a tier list out of that context, since casuals / inexperienced players will get pummeled even with Savini who is head and shoulders above the other Jasons.  I would also generally discourage even aiming knives, since they are so easy to dodge at mid range. Close range quick toss, with no aiming will catch any counselor off guard particularly if you use it at as a counter and interrupt recovery with block for safety. But yes you are correct they are a finite resource, and if going up against a kill squad are best saved solely for group combat. A +TK Jason also saves a lot of time finding and even picking up knives, since the animation is lengthy.

In regards to J9, his +Shift paired with normal morph allows good mobility and stam pressure. You have a better chance of catching cars as well. But beyond that, there is nothing special about him and -Traps is a big negative. +Shift is obviously his strongest stat, but he absolutely needs to rely on it. I don't see good reason to use him over J3, J8 or J5. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

-Stun Resistance is actually a favorable stat against high dmg weapons eg. machete, axe. You would rather be stunned and take almost zero damage, rather than take 75-80 just off one heavy hit from a 10 Str. Stun Resist is one of the last things I intend to test as well however. Also 10 more health simply = 1 less mistake. If a group is intent on demasking you then they can just as easily succeed, if a normal Def Jason even steps in a bear trap he is already almost down to -Def / Less HP stat. Or even 1 close range shotgun will take about half your health. It is simply too easy to demask Jason, his mask HP is a joke even at base stat so it is basically a non-point. 

Well yes but we are talking in the context of skilled players. There is no discussion to be had about a tier list out of that context, since casuals / inexperienced players will get pummeled even with Savini who is head and shoulders above the other Jasons.  I would also generally discourage even aiming knives, since they are so easy to dodge at mid range. Close range quick toss, with no aiming will catch any counselor off guard particularly if you use it at as a counter and interrupt recovery with block for safety. But yes you are correct they are a finite resource, and if going up against a kill squad are best saved solely for group combat. A +TK Jason also saves a lot of time finding and even picking up knives, since the animation is lengthy.

In regards to J9, his +Shift paired with normal morph allows good mobility and stam pressure. You have a better chance of catching cars as well. But beyond that, there is nothing special about him and -Traps is a big negative. +Shift is obviously his strongest stat, but he absolutely needs to rely on it. I don't see good reason to use him over J3, J8 or J5. 

I wasn’t trying to state that Part 9 was BETTER than Part 5, I was just stating my opinion of each Jason character themselves and how they should be played to be the most efficient in killing. I’m not the best Jason player but I can still go around 6/8 every round.

Even with stun resistance a machete has a low stun chance, two shots with Buggzy and that mask is GONE. I even think it is too easy to knock off the mask, cheap shots with low strengths counselors like Tiffany and Jenny will add up and that mask can say goodbye. The stun through the window will deal some damage and add up over time.

A tier list of the best Jason’s would probably go as followed...

1. Savini

2. Part 3

3. Part 8

4. Part 6

5. Part 5

6. Part 2

7. Part 9

8. Part 7

9. Part 4

Feel free to disagree, I’ve just seen SO many Part 7 and Part 4 Jasons get demolished by counselors, I’ve seen Part 4 get killed more times then I can count. He is just super weak to controlling any of the objectives.

14 minutes ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

Feel free to disagree, I’ve just seen SO many Part 7 and Part 4 Jasons get demolished by counselors, I’ve seen Part 4 get killed more times then I can count. He is just super weak to controlling any of the objectives.

Actually I almost 100% agree with that tier list. I would personally put Part 5 above Part 6 however, as I think -Morph can be a significant weakness. I also prefer the running Jasons particularly in group combat setting.

And yes, I agree that competitively Part 4 is the worst Jason hands down. There is just no reason at all to pick him over Part 3 who is very similar but without the -Shift and -Traps combo of doom. The bonus +Destruction is not worth those negatives at all, even Part 7 is now better post-buff.

It's a bit absurd that two non-running Jasons have a trap weakness. On the other hand I just about main Part 4 because the ability to run while having a strength in both damage and destruction more than make up for -traps.

• Thanks 1

I always do well with Part 4, and I'm always defending him, but I understand why people overall do poorly with him, due to his weaknesses, it really comes down to play style, and being aggressive while not losing sight of the objectives, and destroying as many doors early game, and utilizing stalk as much as possible. I'm surprised people say he is easily killed, he has no -defense weakness, or stun weakness, and his weapon strength mows down groups.

The reason I would put part 4 above part 3 jason, is the Destruction, and normal stalk. I find stalk to be the best ability in the game, it's under utilized, but can even trick the most experienced players if used correctly, and J3 has that stalk weakness that goes against my play style.

Regarding Part 9. I believe he is a good jason, especially in the right hands. I believe he is the best Jason at stopping cars due to his +shift, and normal morph.

My pick based off my playstlye would go as follows

1- part 4- Suits my aggressive play style, and decent ability to stalk, and does well against group attacks.

2- part 8 - Obviously the best Jason, I just put him below part 4, because I have more fun with him

3 - Part 9 -  Best Jason at stopping cars, and well balanced, just watch those objectives, and his mask due to the -HP

4 - part 3 - Good balanced Jason,  just loses points due to his -stalk/sense combo

5 - part 5 - Balanced jason with great stalk, and long range attacks, just watch his mask, and group attacks. Very fragile Jason when it comes to groups. I see him killed the most.

6 - part 6 - Similar to part 5 just replace run with +Shift. Does slightly better with group attacks due to normal grip, and no stun weakness, but his -morph can be an issue, especially early game.

7- Part 7- Balanced, but is basically a weaker version of part 8 or 3 due to the trap weakness

8 - Part 2- best Jason at objective control, but once those traps are used up, he is lacking, he is weak against groups, and has no real advantages. Another easy to kill Jason due to -defense, and no weapon strength.

• Thanks 1

He's fine.

But anyone can look bad if you play against counselors that can routinely exploit weaknesses.

I'd argue traps are a pretty pointless venture no matter which Jason you have. You go against 7 counselors with the right perks and even decent skill. All traps mean nothing other than alarms for Jason. Nobody is going to use a pocket knife on them when they are the only chance for salvation without a mob to help them.

Allowing all Jasons to rearm and reposition their traps once each would do wonders and tanking would actually have more consequences. Part 2 with 14 uses, neutral with 10 each and the others 6.

- Shift does suck. I would much rather have that weakness tied to cooldown rather than speed, but they see fit to make it a real potent weakness. Minus shift wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to burn morph/stalk with it for it to be anything decent. If you wanna catch faster counselors, your only hope is morph/stalk/shift with the morph in front then the rest after and whatever you decide for up close.

No Jason 9 isn't the weakest i say 7 is still Jason 9 is one of the better Jason's because he's so damn fast also his stun is shorter yes he get's stunned but the stun is for a shorter period so you recover faster. I hate how not all Jason's don't have at least 5 traps this is where 9, 7 and 4 are at a major handicap yet Jason 9 does make up for it by being so damn fast.

1.) Part 8 destruction + traps + fast shift and water speed + morph makes getting around the maps fast

2.) Part 6 fast shift reload plus traps and knives

3.) Part 5 knives can run fastest and traps 

4.) Part 2 morph very useful for getting around the map fast plus traps slowing counselors down

5.) Part 3 weapon power + grip strength + traps decent shift speed great for hack and slash

6.) Part 4 can run weapon strength weapon destruction great for hack and slash

7') Part 9 very fast shift fast stun recovery 

8.) Part 7 even with faster shift still slowest and weak looks the best tho

There's my list all.

i couldn't care less about which jason is better/stronger, i play them all, to me there is such a extreme minor detail in the "stats" of jasons, if each jason actually had different abilities then i'd have a fav, but every jason does the exact same thing just a faster cd here or there, an break doors a lil faster. only running is a true difference. i wish we could have seen real differences between jasons, like p9 maybe have a shapeshift to be a lil like his possesion, or p7 maybe take tons of dmg early but each time hes knocked down lightning strikes him an he can take more each time ect. if we had stuff like this i'd care but as it is, to me jason's are only different in terms of some can run, but still thats with 4 jasons so its not unique enough for me

23 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

-Morph can be a significant weakness.

Very true, against a lobby with heavy coordination, the wrong morph will cost him giving no chance to contest the pushed objective.  Part 6 was once viewed very highly, not as much anymore as the game and the way it's played has changed over the year.

On 8/2/2018 at 7:30 PM, JennyMyers1984 said:

Not everybody blocks attack, I rarely if ever see most Jason’s block attacks.

Any tier list should be a evaluation of all choices and options at the highest level of play, not the typical QP which is always a mish-mosh of varied skills.  But otherwise solid tier list, agreeing with Tommy86 again as Roy is the strongest "Jason" that isn't the 3 I aforementioned.

• Like 1