Sign in to follow this  
Brevator

How to Spot a Troll

We've all encountered them in their many shapes and forms in this game, but I think it's time we build a definitive guide to identifying and recognizing troll behavior. Some people seem to correlate trolling with having fun in-game and need help differentiating between the two, while others may be new to the game (surprising as that sounds) and may have trouble recognizing some of the more subtle and stealthy trolls. As always, your contributions are welcomed and very much appreciated. And be sure to share these with randoms you play with. Hopefully, if enough people learn how to spot a troll, the less effective they will be.

1.) Are they Level 80 or higher and use Vanessa as their main counselor? - This is quite possibly the easiest identifier in F13 troll-spotting. Vanessa is good for two things; speed-looting and hitting. So she's going to be hoarding all the sprays and/or pocketknives while skipping around the map from cabin to cabin, raiding drawers. Her repair is trash and she is the loudest character in the game next to Buggzy (another troll favorite), so she's not going to be sneaking around and calling the cops for you while you're getting chased down. If you see a Level 150 Vanessa and they aren't doing anything helpful, like running parts to objectives or rescuing people from Jason, you can safely assume that they are a troll. Particularly if they are wearing the Wonder Woman costume. If you can help it at all, DO NOT let them get the keys or find their way into the driver's seat, because there is a damn good chance they will either A.) run you over/drive off without you, B.) crash multiple times to get you killed by Jason, C.) get the car stuck in an unmovable position, or D.) just straight up drive into the fucking lake.
*this goes for Level 80+ Tiffanies too (especially the Devil costumed ones)

2.) Are they Level 80 or higher and use Chad as their main counselor? - Pretty much the same as Vanessa. Yes, Chad has better stealth, but he's "The Douchebag" character and thus makes the perfect troll avatar. If you see a Level 150 Chad, they will mostly likely be dancing, flexing, hiding, bullying Jason...anything but helping their fellow counselors escape. Be sure to show them the same courtesy.
*(Speedo Chads are almost always trolls)

3.) Are they intentionally committing suicide to come back as Tommy? - This is a newer tactic I've seen. They'll find a bear trap in two minutes and step in it twice. Then they'll either sit out the rest of the match or get Tommy and take one of the cars for themselves, after all the repairs have been done. Unless they feel like running everyone over, in which case, get ready to play The Purge Goes to Camp!

4.) Are they crashing on purpose when driving the car? - With the game's car physics, nobody is perfect behind the wheel, and we all accidentally crash into a tree, or a bridge, or a Jason from time to time. But then there are those counselors that start the car and drive into every possible tree and post and rock they can find along the road. If you're in the passenger seat and they crash more than twice and you're somehow not dead yet, get the hell out of there because you're not escaping in that car.

5.) Are you ten minutes into a match on a Small Map and the fuse/keys/gas/battery hasn't been found yet? - It's a good bet there's a troll holding onto it...watch to see who dies and what falls out of their pockets. Or if someone escapes by their self and it winds up on the shore. Sure, it could be a n00b who just simply can't find their way around, but always be vigilant.

6.) How often do they click their flashlight? - Using the flashlight for communication is great. But if you see someone just running around clicking it like some spastic spidermonkey on Colombian snowflake, stay away from them.

That's all I've got for now! Again, I want this to be an organic and eclectic list, so feel free to submit your own entries.

Happy spotting!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brevator said:

Are they crashing on purpose when driving the car? - With the game's car physics, nobody is perfect behind the wheel, and we all accidentally crash into a tree, or a bridge, or a Jason from time to time. But then there are those counselors that start the car and drive into every possible tree and post and rock they can find along the road. If you're in the passenger seat and they crash more than twice and you're somehow not dead yet, get the hell out of there because you're not escaping in that car.

They could also have a bad ping. If not , then they're are a troll or a kid.

But never Forget Buggzy. They like to be assholes.

And on PC , Adam's are often just Talking some dumb shit (insulting with dumb reasons , cry if they get killed).

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

They could also have a bad ping.

True. You just gotta watch out for that one troll who gets the keys and hides until the car is ready.

Buggzy players are usually kids or trolls.

Adam players are either kids or guys who think they're badasses and take the game way too fucking seriously. They're especially fun to kill, particularly when they get salty and rage-quit.

• Like 1

I can't say I agree with your first two points. Yes some people playing Vanessa and Chad will be trolls, but that's true with every character. Usually Adams where the worst in my experience. 

• Like 1

Just now, thrawn3054 said:

I can't say I agree with your first two points. Yes some people playing Vanessa and Chad will be trolls, but that's true with every character. Usually Adams where the worst in my experience. 

Of course, every character can be used by trolls, and I've seen quite a number of Shelly and LaChappa trolls as well. But generally speaking, Chad, Buggzy, Tiffany and Vanessa are the 4 favorites of the troll community.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brevator said:

Of course, every character can be used by trolls, and I've seen quite a number of Shelly and LaChappa trolls as well. But generally speaking, Chad, Buggzy, Tiffany and Vanessa are the 4 favorites of the troll community.

Probably true the numbers for those four are higher then the average.Though I personally never trust an Adam.

• Haha 1

Do you play on PS4? Most Adams I encounter have been trustworthy, some of them are now even my friends. I've definitely seen troll Adams though.

I'm a Mitch Floyd man, myself...he's my secret weapon.

8 minutes ago, Brevator said:

Do you play on PS4? Most Adams I encounter have been trustworthy, some of them are now even my friends. I've definitely seen troll Adams though.

I'm a Mitch Floyd man, myself...he's my secret weapon.

I mainly play on PS4. Most of my Adam distrust steams from the days when TK was still on. I generally don't trust randoms anyway, but I'm especially weary of an Adam behind the wheel of a car.

2 hours ago, Brevator said:

4.) Are they crashing on purpose when driving the car?

Another thing they do with the car that drives me insane is, they'll make it to the main road and keep driving back and forth to both exits until Jason gets there. You cant exit the car until they stop, so when Jason arrives they purposely stop with you on the side Jason is approaching from.

I applaud your list. Everything you listed is pretty much spot on.

• Like 2

If Chad is bullying Jason, wouldn't that still count as him contributing to the team? I mean, he is distracting Jason from the rest of the team, and allowing others to knockout the objectives. Sure it's a fine line that's being crossed there, but he's still "technically" contributing

• Like 1

I get the sweater early. And I’m usually one of the last people alive.   It’s easier early game when Jason needs to trap and if you find it early enough he may not even have shift yet. 

5 hours ago, Brevator said:

7.) Are they going for the sweater right at the start of the match? - Nobody should be going after the sweater unless Tommy is there. The sweater does not repair the car or call the cops. Only trolls or absolute idiots do this.

This is a legit strategy for good runners. It nice that your opinion is that they’re idiots but in my opinion grabbing the sweater before Jason has shift is a smart move. Not only does it pull Jason away from trapping objectives, making them easier to do them early but it also puts a bit pressure on the troglodyte. 

Granted if you grab the sweater and suicide you’re a troll. 

6 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

This is a legit strategy for good runners. It nice that your opinion is that they’re idiots but in my opinion grabbing the sweater before Jason has shift is a smart move. Not only does it pull Jason away from trapping objectives, making them easier to do them early but it also puts a bit pressure on the troglodyte. 

Granted if you grab the sweater and suicide you’re a troll. 

It only pulls Jason away from objectives if that Jason is also an idiot. There is no reason to go after the sweater girl until Tommy Jarvis shows up. If I hear mother screaming in the first few mins of the match, I ignore it and continue with objectives. Let them feel safe for awhile. I will kill them eventually.

4 minutes ago, Brevator said:

It only pulls Jason away from objectives if that Jason is also an idiot. There is no reason to go after the sweater girl until Tommy Jarvis shows up. If I hear mother screaming in the first few mins of the match, I ignore it and continue with objectives. Let them feel safe for awhile. I will kill them eventually.

Not really interested in arguing about it, your opinion isn’t well thought out. You’re just stating anyone who does it differently than yourself is an idiot at this point. 

“There is no reason to go after sweater girl until Tommy Jarvis shows up.” I think only an idiot would say something like this, killing the sweater girl before Tommy shows up, means he never even gets to try and kill you. Seems we have very different ideas about what is smart. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Not really interested in arguing about it, your opinion isn’t well thought out. You’re just stating anyone who does it differently than yourself is an idiot at this point. 

“There is no reason to go after sweater girl until Tommy Jarvis shows up.” I think only an idiot would say something like this, killing the sweater girl before Tommy shows up, means he never even gets to try and kill you. Seems we have very different ideas about what is smart. 

Yeah, I guess so. Completing objectives backwards doesn't seem that smart.

Going after the sweater girl instead of ignoring mother and taking out the generator to the CB cabin so that Tommy never even gets called seems stupid. She will most likely kite you while everyone else completes objectives and by the time you catch her, most of them will be repaired and/or Tommy Jarvis will have shown up.

• Confused 1

I'm on the fence about when to take out "sweater girl". On the one hand, taking her out after she gets the sweater but before Tommy spawns makes perfect sense. On the other hand, waiting until later after you've trapped objectives makes just as much sense. It's more of a situational circumstance.

@Brevator and @Slasher_Clone, neither of you is completely right or wrong in this situation. Each of your approaches would work in some scenario.

• Like 1

Fair enough, @Fair Play. Situation is everything.

Generally speaking though, it's wise to ignore mother's screams if you hear them in the first few minutes of the match. I'll concede that if you're on a small map with a group of experienced counselors, it might not be a bad idea to snag that sweater stealing skank double-time. But I tend to save her for later.

4 minutes ago, Brevator said:

Generally speaking though, it's wise to ignore mother's screams if you hear them in the first few minutes of the match. I'll concede that if you're on a small map with a group of experienced counselors, it might not be a bad idea. But I tend to save her for later.

I've used that strategy just as much as I've taken her out when she first gets the sweater. It's all about circumstance. A good Jason considers all things to get those kills. That's the bottom line. Keep mother happy with those kills.

• Like 1

There are times when it's necessary. But they walk in there expecting you to show up. They want you to chase them. And I like to keep my Jason unpredictable, so my victims keep guessing...makes them feel less in control of the match.

27 minutes ago, Brevator said:

Generally speaking though, it's wise to ignore mother's screams if you hear them in the first few minutes of the match. I'll concede that if you're on a small map with a group of experienced counselors, it might not be a bad idea to snag that sweater stealing skank double-time. But I tend to save her for later.

You shouldn’t ignore mother. ?

Situation is everything,  awesome I agree. I like the rest of your list, I just feel there’s more strategy in this game than most people think. I also take umbrage at the idiot comment, I play Jenny mostly and while I will certainly kite you on the right map, it makes more sense to grab it early. If you have shift, I die most likely. I also only grab it if it’s convenient now, but as a new player it’s a valid play and doesn’t make them idiots. 

I Morphed to the shack last week and was very surprised to find two very stealthy AJ’s stealing mothers sweater as a team, to be honest I didn’t stand a chance till they went in a cabin. One was invisible to sense and with them sticking so close together, one of them always got the stun off.  Traps in doors are your friend. 

While your points are valid, I gotta say it depends on the player. I'm a Mitch Floyd main too, and 150. When I get Vanessa, or Chad I run parts, drop the fuse off. I feel it's my Job to speed loot and distribute to teammates all the Pk's, and sprays. and If Jason comes after me to keep him busy as long as possible. I'll run intercept for fixers, smack Jason and cover for them because I have the speed to elude him. And when I get Tiffany I'll go for the sweater early if I'm close, then disappear till Tommy shows. When I get fixers I roam and fix drops on the map, try to stay active. It just depends on the player how they're gonna play those characters, but as a whole those points you put up can be a good basis of behavior. I always find that any level player is liable to troll though, not just 80 and up.

• Like 1

Let’s be honest - aside from the reasons I and Slasher said, as a present Jenny main it’s safest for me to get the sweater pre-shift.

In QuickPlay killing Jason is absolutely the worst strategy as 99% of Tommy’s are AFK, disconnect, don’t know how to kill Jason, choose to escape on their own, or are bad and Jason slashes them to death immediately.  A lot of Tommy’s are usually the worst players who died first.  

Grabbing the sweater early means I had to make Jason choose to tunnel me or just give it to me for free.  If I get tunneled and in a half decent lobby, a car is fixed or the cops are called for free.   Even if I die at that point I more than did my part to help the lobby. 

If I get it for free, I can still help.  When the car is started I can use the long ass sweater-stun to let them restart the car if we crash, or finish a repair to begin with.  I’ve also used the sweater-stun numerous times to make sure other players reach the cops that have run out of stamina and otherwise wouldn’t have made it. 

The sweater isn’t solely about killing Jason and can be used in many situations that lead to Counselor success.  Getting it early increases the chance it can be used for something important rather hoping you get a Tommy that doesn’t suck ass.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also gotta say , more than often it is a smart move to grab the Sweater Right at the beginning. Morph is on cooldown , he doesn't have shift , Tommy is called are a very good Scenario. Get the Sweater and first hide in the nearest cabin for some time. Then you can look Survival items and all that. Find a machete for Tommy and yeah…...But you should never grab the Sweater if Tommy isn't called (well , in the beginning of the match it isn't as dumb as in 15 minutes in).

21 hours ago, Brevator said:

7.) Are they going for the sweater right at the start of the match? - Nobody should be going after the sweater unless Tommy is there. The sweater does not repair the car or call the cops. Only trolls or absolute idiots do this.

Unless they are looking to kill you which indicates you are up against a decent team. If you knew at all about the Cosby Sweater technique you would not have included this point in your post. Tbh I despise the term "trolls" in the context of this game, since it typically describes a counselor who can reliably assert his/her dominance against Jason. In which case the Jason player who is simply not good enough is making any excuse to make up for their shortcomings. Based on your previous posts, I am putting you in that category as well. You are lacking knowledge and not even aware of it.

It is truly a shame that the bulk of the community respect the crouch walking AJ more than the counselors who confidently stand their ground against Jason. You base your opinions on the extremely weak QP lobbies rather than counselor teams with fully developed skills. This is why you feel the need to post videos of your matches against "trolls" rather than analyzing why you were trolled in the first place.

PS: If you truly want to test your skills, PM me and I will arrange a match. I will even get my US friends to host so you are not playing on 500ms.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

Unless they are looking to kill you which indicates you are up against a decent team. If you knew at all about the Cosby Sweater technique you would not have included this point in your post. Tbh I despise the term "trolls" in the context of this game, since it typically describes a counselor who can reliably assert his/her dominance against Jason. In which case the Jason player who is simply not good enough is making any excuse to make up for their shortcomings. Based on your previous posts, I am putting you in that category as well. You are lacking knowledge and not even aware of it.

It is truly a shame that the bulk of the community respect the crouch walking AJ more than the counselors who confidently stand their ground against Jason. You base your opinions on the extremely weak QP lobbies rather than counselor teams with fully developed skills. This is why you feel the need to post videos of your matches against "trolls" rather than analyzing why you were trolled in the first place.

PS: If you truly want to test your skills, PM me and I will arrange a match. I will even get my US friends to host so you are not playing on 500ms.

Wow, you sure used an awful lot of words to say absolutely nothing at all. Based on your previous posts, I could think of a few categories to place you in as well, but I'll leave you to guess those for yourself...

I'm quite aware of the Cosby Sweater technique (but way to make an ASSumption there), and I've killed several teams attempting to use it because, as I'm sure you know (since you singlehandedly designed and developed the game yourself), it's pretty unreliable against a Part VIII Jason who knows what he's doing. Or are you just basing your opinions on the few weak Jasons you've been able to do it to? 

Now that we've gotten that irrelevant bullshit out of the way, does anybody have anything of substance to contribute, unlike Tommy Boy here? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1