Sign in to follow this  
VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow

How would you have designed the game?

33 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

I am just waiting for a really cheesy answer , like : ''Mah game would have been…… @TestedTwice!''

Also , About the ''Who get's to be Jason'' Thing , I would have done it like this : For every completed match you get one ticket. Who has the highest amount of tickets , gets to be Jason. When you get to be Jason , your tickets get depleted.

What happens when you have two people with the same number of tickets?

4 hours ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

I also think it's Pretty awesome as it is now. It could just Need Little changes (like Stealth being more useful for Jason).

Yes, both stealth and strength need to have more utility within the game.

There would be four primary game modes.

• One game mode would be a first person mode in the style of games like Until Dawn, Amnesia, etc. where you go around Crystal Lake, Higgins Haven, etc. and sort of play detective and find clues. You would pick between one of two protagonists, one which is female and one which is male. The female would be based off Clay's missing sister from the remake and the male would be based off Clay. Depending on which gender scenario you pick, it plays out the same way with one looking for the other, and the choices you make throughout the game determines who lives, who dies, and whether or not you find said person. The game would also have multiple endings.
  • The second game mode would be split into two versions. It would be like single player challenges and would be third person. The reason there would be two versions is because one is Jason's perspective (you play as Jason, obviously) and the other is the counselor's perspective.
  • The third mode would be my take on quick play. The main difference would be rather than you picking a map, it's all interconnected as a big open world and it would be more like an explorative free roam mode with Jason in the midst. Instead of there being a timer, there would be areas you go to where there's totem poles that pushing a button to interact with would trigger events like in Red Dead Redemption. There would be three options, one would be to play a quick play match, where you have to stay in your area and attempt to escape and/ or kill Jason within twenty minutes. Based on how good or bad you do, etc, you get XP points and unlock things. Another accessible feature would be like land grab, where there's a team of counselors playing against Jason and you compete for claiming certain territories by doing damage to each other. For instance, if you're Jason, you could have ownership over a cabin or a strip of the map by killing a certain number of counselors, staying in that area undetected or undefeated for a certain time, etc. The third option would be a scavenger hunt, where for ten minutes, easter eggs such as Pamela tapes, Jarvis tapes, and photographs of young Pamela and young Jason are hidden in drawers, under rocks, next to camp fires, etc all across the interconnected maps and whoever finds the most in a certain amount of time wins. Like the perks in Gun Media's version of the game, in my version, these easter eggs you find would have different levels of rarity, from poor to common to epic to legendary, etc. You would also be able to find parts and combine them, which would be one of the more extremely rare feats. One thing you would be able to do during this ten minute blitz challenge is find different parts for a stronger car engine. If you find all the parts and manage to assemble it, you can now spawn into the game with a faster car speed and have a better change at evading Jason. Jason can play this game as well, and the fun thing for him is that it's inverted. Rather than Jason finding artifacts about himself, it's instead flip flopped and he finds stuff that pertains to characters from the movies, like Crazy Ralph's hat, finding bits and pieces of a guitar until you find all of it and make the pink guitar from Part VIII into a usable weapon, the spear gun from Part 3 (also with assembly required, that's the challenge), Tommy Jarvis's jacket from Part VI, the book of the occult from Part VI, and the rarest artifact for Jason to find would be the Necronomnicon, which would be in the Voorhees mansion portion of the open world, and finding it in the ten minute time frame would require doing a series of complicated steps that are kind of hard to pull off, but once it is located, Jason becomes temporarily unable to stun, has the same destruction strength as when in rage mode, and his abilities don't require a cool down. The counselor side of this would be finding the magic dagger, which would also be the rarest and complicated easter egg,  and would also require several precise steps. By using it on Jason, he will be dragged to Hell and respond a minute and thirteen seconds later in his shack on the other side of the map, and whenever he respawns, he will temporarily be weaker (opposite of all the things I mentioned for when Jason finds the Necronomnicon.) 
  • There would be an easter egg game mode that's like a Friday the 13th equivalent of Frogger. You unlock it by doing the Konami cheat code pattern from Virtual Cabin in the main menu. In this game mode, you as a counselor attempt to make your way across the lake in round after round jumping across canoe to canoe, and at random times, kid Jason, or the zombie version of Pamela from Part 3 will pop up out of the water. As the rounds go on, the Jasons change to stronger ones that can catch you faster, and animals such as birds will also come at you, etc. This also includes a flipped version where you play as Jason and see how many counselors you can drown as kid Jason, and as the rounds go on, you eventually become stronger Jasons.

Playable Jasons in my version: instead of doing weapon swapping, each Jason has a choice between two different weapons. Each Jason also has multiple unlockable skins. 

Part II-

• Weapons: Spear/Pitchfork
  • Unlockable Skins: Light Blood, Heavy Blood

Part III-

• Weapons: Machete/Axe
  • Unlockable Skins: Light Blood, Heavy Blood, Battle Damage (from axe and stab wound to leg, mask is also more scratched and less polished looking), Retro Jason

Part IV-

• Weapons: Hammer/Pig Splitter
  • Unlockable Skins: Light Blood, Heavy Blood, Battle Damage (with neck wound from hammer and split hand from machete)

Part V (Roy)- 

• Weapons: Machete/Garden Shearers 
  • Unlockable Skins: Light Blood, Heavy Blood, Green Coveralls Variant 

Part V (Dream Sequence)-

• Weapons: Machete/Axe (version 2)

Part VI 

• Weapons: Fence Stake/Bowie Knife 
  • Unlockable Skins: Light Blood, Heavy Blood, Clean Variant (no bullet hole on the mask, no paintball markings)

Part VII 

• Weapons: Kitchen Knife/Tree Trimmer
  • Unlockable Skins: Light Blood, Heavy Blood, No Chain Variant 

Part VIII 

• Weapons: Fire Axe/Giant Wrench 
  • Unlockable Skins: Light Blood, Heavy Blood, Toxic Waste Damage 

Part IX (The Coroner) 

• Weapons: Surgical Probe/Road Sign

Part IX (Jason)

• Weapons: Machete/Battle Axe
  • Unlockable Skins: Light Blood, Heavy Blood, Clean (chunk of mask isn't missing, no bullet holes in clothes)

Pre-Uber Jason 

• Weapons: Curved Machete/Log Chain

Uber Jason

• Weapons: Futuristic Machete/Log Chain

Freddy vs Jason

• Weapon: Huge Machete (couldn't think of a second weapon)
  • Unlockable Skins: Light Blood, Heavy Blood, Battle Damage (with claw marks on face)

Reboot Version 1 (cornsack)

• Weapon: Machete/Axe 

Reboot Version 2 (hockey mask)

• Weapon: Bow and Arrow/Machete 

Never Hike Alone (Ghost Jason)

• Weapon: Machete 

Mortal Kombat Jason 

• Weapon: Machete 
  • Unlockable Skins: Light Blood, Heavy Blood, Roy Burns Mask, Silver Mask

Pamela Voorhees 

• Weapons: Hunting Knife/Machete
  • Unlockable Skins: Light Blood, Heavy Blood, Zombie Variant 

For counselors, there would be a create a counselor mode using the same engine as the create a character from the Tony Hawk series. 

Rated: Mature for Intense VIolence, Blood and Gore, Strong Language, Strong Suggestive Themes, Use of Drugs and Alcohol, Sexual Content, and Strong Partial Nudity 

Soundtrack:

His Eyes by Pseudo Echo

Teenage Frankenstein by Alice Cooper

The Man Behind the Mask by Alice Cooper

Friday the 13th by Misfits 

Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight? by Misfits

rest of the soundtrack would be like normal game 

Callable Heroes: In my version of the game, for the quick play option of free roam, you get to pick between four different heroes to call in, which would be as follows below 

• Tommy Jarvis- Play as either the Part V version or the Thom Matthews version Weapon: Shotgun with three rounds
  • Reggie the Reckless- An adult version of the character Weapon: These hands 
  • Tina Shepherd- for when you need to hit Jason in the face with a really thick hard back Bible from across the room, thus knocking him down a flight of stairs Weapon: Telekineses 
  • Creighton Duke- The Duke himself. Nuff said Weapon: Hunting Knife

Maps: the maps the open world would consist of 

• Camp Crystal Lake
  • Higgins Haven
  • Pacanack Lodge
  • Jarvis Residence
  • Pinehurst
  • Shepherd Residence 
  • The Lazarus 
  • Voorhees Mansion
  • Essex County (the diner, street corner, road into Crystal Lake, etc as seen in first movie)
  • Police station from Jason Goes to Hell
  • The Lazarus 
  • The Grendel 

• Like 3

Rework shift ala Left4Dead. That way he would be able to navigate the map invisibly and quickly  but PRECISELY. It would allow placing Jason in optimal positions while counselors are searching cabins or trying to evade chase and produce well calculated and more frequent surprise scares. Doors, shut, locked or otherwise, are completely passable while it is active. Dread from counselors would sky rocket. There would be no shift grab or grabbing to come out of the shift ability. I've always thought "shift grab" was counter intuitive to Jasons style. To me, shift is mostly used to "fish" the kill, not cause fear in the players mind that Jason might be around the corner. "Static, oh shit, I better juke left and right because he hit the nitro boost" as opposed to "Static, oh shit, where is he waiting for me at?" Or perhaps rework MORPH with EXACT location placement including inside of cabins.

Imagine you are a counselor running towards Higgins Haven just about to hit the porch with Jason giving chase close behind and he triggers this ability, he's gone. Where did he go? Is he up stairs? Is he in the kitchen? Is he waiting by the back door? Is he hoping I ran to the barn? It begins to plant fear and doubt in the choices players could make and it would make the next action decided, critical. I think the mechanic reworked into something similar like this would truly create dread in online game play. "Turbo Grab" just makes the game dodging cars and skill catching, not authentic fear. 

I would also rework RAGE to include destroying furniture inside of cabins. Ring around the Rosie is completely embarrassing for Jason and really cuts down on the monster factor and increases Counselor heroism. Who would stick around a cabin knowing Jason could clear a room of any object standing?

I would also institute a mechanic for counselor corpse placement to cause a live counselor to trip and fall backwards in fright or max out fear including screen black out and map loss or something similar. You dont see Jason carrying corpses in the movies, so you dont need to see it in game either. It should a selectable / collectable item once a counselor is offed and can be placed accordingly to "corpse trap spots" (certain places this mechanic can only be used), including throwing them through certain windows. 

My 2 coppers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fair Play said:

….Damn it , forgot to add it.

Well , then it is random between those two.

@gtdjlocker311 Well , I meant Jason being more stealthy for Jumpscare set-ups as an example. Not the counselor stat.

1 hour ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

….Damn it , forgot to add it.

Well , then it is random between those two.

@gtdjlocker311 Well , I meant Jason being more stealthy for Jumpscare set-ups as an example. Not the counselor stat.

Gotcha.  I agree with that as well.

• Like 1

@deathbat96777 you said things I was not able to think of. I'm not a fan of the necronomicon and the coroner, and I would add the ability to pick up and use improvised weapons for both sides.

@Komatose1313 Your idea for shift and corpse placement is perfect!!!!!

@deathbat96777 & @Komatose1313 combine your ideas with mine and we got a perfect F13th game that we should have gotten. Also a NES Jason and map as well that can be switched from regular to 3-d 8-bit mode when needed!

• Like 1

I could make a huge post about this, since I do know exactly how I would've designed it. This is by no means everything I have to say, but at least some points on the topic which help communicate the overall idea  -

Character Control

• Counselors no longer have loss of control through stumbles, and no loss of vision / darkening of screen from Fear. That only begins once they are damaged. The more dmg, the greater the effect.
  • Counselors have infinite jogging stamina (and jog is faster), with a metered sprint. Additionally, counselor mobility will only differ via speed. Crippled state still exists after enough dmg.
  • Jason no longer has loss of control through stuns. He cannot get stunned, simply knocked back, and the counselor gets a speed boost on hit. Shotgun can still lay him out, but the recovery is short ie. Part 6 scenes.
  • Both counselors and Jason can jump over and climb onto things ie. fence, car. Jason can also climb through windows, and leap into cabins in Rage ie. Part 7 scene.
  • Jason is now faster than the counselors, with a true sprint à la Part 4 scenes (metered). Walking Jasons get a short-range teleport that's frequently available to match the speed of running counterparts. Shift is entirely removed from the game.
  • No weapons ever get stuck, all attacks for both Jason and counselor are auto-aimed with selectable target. 1 button block is available. Jason can also grab and toss counselors aside.

Gameplay

• Maps are very small. Much smaller than the versions we have, and that is to promote more player interaction, and more conflict with Jason for action-packed matches. Additionally, it helps make lower mobility counselors more viable. Only the iconic parts of a map and a few additional large cabins are kept, with 1 powerbox, 1 car and the phone.
  • All counselors start with map and walkie, and no drawer is left empty. With the number of cabins kept to a minimum, this would not pose a problem.
  • Jason has an auto refill of knives and traps per x amount of time, however - traps cannot be placed at / block objectives. This encourages creativity with traps.
  • To compensate, objectives will take longer to complete / have more steps / Jason receives an alert upon counselor interaction.
  • Jason can pick up different weapons throughout the match, including projectiles and more unique weapons such as weed whacker.
  • Jason's vision in darkness is akin to his vision with Sense activated, and torches for counselors also produce a stronger light source. In both cases, visibility in the game will be much improved without having to tweak any settings.
  • The overall feel of the match is the last chapter of an F13 movie, fast-paced and exciting without trying to push immersion.

Feel free to question me on any given idea. I have thought it all out but to justify every point here would take too long. I have purposely left out combat for now since that is a huge topic on its own.

Mostly good ideas. Too bad most of them are better than the broken mess we have now.

It is what it is. I've thrown around ideas too. Too lazy to list them or even copy/paste them again.

Multiplayer would be mostly the same but my additions are

-Toggle option for friendly fire. You can not be killed by a shotgun by it does instantly put you in a limping state. Being hit by the car remains fatal.

-A option to have no duplicates in a match. That means no two Vanessas, Chads, etc.

-Ginny, Tina, Creighton Duke, Sgt. Brodski, Kay-Em are hero characters along with Tommy but they are map-specific.

-Forest Green, The Shepherd House, Lazarus, the sewers of Manhattan, Voorhees mabsion, the Diner from Part 9, and the Crystal Lake town would be all added along the way. There would also be a map based on an abandoned Crystal Lake before Steve Christy attempted to reopen it.

-A story mode for single player that plays similar to a F13 film. You pick a character in the game. You and your friends (the othet characters in game) are hired to be counselors during Camp Crystal Lake's reopening. However, Jason is there to crash the party. Depending on your choices, you end up the only survivor among your friends, you and another survives, or you all die. In story mode, a character similar to Crazy Ralph cameos at the beginning, warning you and your friends about coming to Crystal Lake.

-There would be an offline bots with a Jason AI mode, similar to Left 4 Dead. It would debut along with the offline bots where you're Jason. Jason always has permanent stalk in offline.

-

21 hours ago, Fair Play said:

Then you have two Jason's running around. Double the carnage and twice the murders. Total chaos!!:D

Hindsight is always hindsight; ofcourse its easy to point out certain shortcomings; Jason combat, items, intensity, stun/damage resistance, breakable objects, etc. , but the core design is brilliant. I think the basic gameplay is genius in its simplicity. The Jason abbilities are also extremely well designed. I think I'm an intelligent guy but I admit I would never have been able to think out anything so functional, still being "true" to the franchise. 

Give credit where credit is due. Like I said, hindsighted posts are easy to make, and most of you would not have been able to come up with anything even remotely capable of challenging what has been achieved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

Then you have two Jason's running around. Double the carnage and twice the murders. Total chaos!!:D

Sounds like a bug waiting to happen. It would also be interesting if said bug had 8 Jasons in at the same time.

The game needs more variables, new item being at the top of my personal list, this would increase the usefulness of characters and provide different ways to play in this playground. 

Ps. You should change the topic: "how would you now, given the games current situation and the experience you've had since the launch, make this game better priovided you would be given sufficient funds to make whatever changes you'd want to in order to make the game better suited for you"

• Haha 1

Hindsight is easy...

However

Longstanding bugs, content only coming in the form of emotes, Jasons, maps, counselors costumes (Halloween, less so spring break) that have nothing to do with the franchise where crystal lake outfits would've been more sensible, cancelled content due to a lawsuit and generally the only innovation of the game being item markers for counselor, the push mechanic for counselor after team killing was removed and basically nothing for Jason except game breaking problems that hinder him.                    

Point being.

Hindsight wouldn't be so easy if the game actually worked and it didn't feel like even without the lawsuit that the only form of content they felt would be worthy of pumping out in the future is emotes, non franchise related costume packs (pajama pack was next) and kill packs. That's assuming the game wasn't going to die this year no matter if the lawsuit was in the way or not.                                                                                               

4 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

Hindsight is easy...

However

Longstanding bugs, content only coming in the form of emotes, Jasons, maps, counselors costumes (Halloween, less so spring break) that have nothing to do with the franchise where crystal lake outfits would've been more sensible, cancelled content due to a lawsuit and generally the only innovation of the game being item markers for counselor, the push mechanic for counselor after team killing was removed and basically nothing for Jason except game breaking problems that hinder him.                    

Point being.

Hindsight wouldn't be so easy if the game actually worked and it didn't feel like even without the lawsuit that the only form of content they felt would be worthy of pumping out in the future is emotes, non franchise related costume packs (pajama pack was next) and kill packs. That's assuming the game wasn't going to die this year no matter if the lawsuit was in the way or not.                                                                                               

I agree. Though this comes under a totally different topic. I just hate the fact that people are seriously saying that they could have designed something better. I call bullshit.

44 minutes ago, lasse_hei said:

I agree. Though this comes under a totally different topic. I just hate the fact that people are seriously saying that they could have designed something better. I call bullshit.

A lot of people say they could design something "better". I'd rather say "different".

On 7/23/2018 at 6:45 AM, Redcat345 said:

Jason's stun rate would have, I guess you'd call it a bell curve. It takes a few attacks to push him into "high stun chance" range and then he gets easily stunned, but after that it cools down so that he needs to get attacked numerous times again.

I would actually make him easier to stun earlier in the match, but reduce the chances based on the level of Rage Meter. And maybe a cool down on stuns to prevent the roaming herds of Jason mask hunters. And maybe also something to offset being out numbered.

I would have divided melee attacks into "fast" and "strong" attacks. 

I really would have made kills the centerpiece of this game. I know they have a decent number of kills, and I'm not complaining about that. But they should have been added more every content update. More weapon kills. More environmental kills. More general kills. 

On 7/23/2018 at 11:20 AM, The Wolf with that Toast said:

I totally agree with this too.

Another reason , why Jason isn't really the bad one. And also another reason why Jason is better than Michael.

Better than Myers in what way? A better being? Maybe. Myers killed ANYTHING. Although they have diffetent styles of killing...Jason was more of a fast pace killer that worked himself to a frenzy trying to please his mother but could never really secure that last final girl. Myers is just pure evil and kills because he wants to. More of a silent stalker than Jason was. Myers wanted to kill Laurie for the LONGEST time and was his main target, Jason just killed who he wanted to and never had a “main target”. I guess you could say Tommy Jarvis but it never spanned over as many movies as Laurie Strode.

All in all it comes down to preference. I prefer Myers, better chase music and offered more jumpscares and a better horror experience. 

10 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

I could make a huge post about this, since I do know exactly how I would've designed it. This is by no means everything I have to say, but at least some points on the topic which help communicate the overall idea  -

Character Control

• Counselors no longer have loss of control through stumbles, and no loss of vision / darkening of screen from Fear. That only begins once they are damaged. The more dmg, the greater the effect.
  • Counselors have infinite jogging stamina (and jog is faster), with a metered sprint. Additionally, counselor mobility will only differ via speed. Crippled state still exists after enough dmg.
  • Jason no longer has loss of control through stuns. He cannot get stunned, simply knocked back, and the counselor gets a speed boost on hit. Shotgun can still lay him out, but the recovery is short ie. Part 6 scenes.
  • Both counselors and Jason can jump over and climb onto things ie. fence, car. Jason can also climb through windows, and leap into cabins in Rage ie. Part 7 scene.
  • Jason is now faster than the counselors, with a true sprint à la Part 4 scenes (metered). Walking Jasons get a short-range teleport that's frequently available to match the speed of running counterparts. Shift is entirely removed from the game.
  • No weapons ever get stuck, all attacks for both Jason and counselor are auto-aimed with selectable target. 1 button block is available. Jason can also grab and toss counselors aside.

Gameplay

• Maps are very small. Much smaller than the versions we have, and that is to promote more player interaction, and more conflict with Jason for action-packed matches. Additionally, it helps make lower mobility counselors more viable. Only the iconic parts of a map and a few additional large cabins are kept, with 1 powerbox, 1 car and the phone.
  • All counselors start with map and walkie, and no drawer is left empty. With the number of cabins kept to a minimum, this would not pose a problem.
  • Jason has an auto refill of knives and traps per x amount of time, however - traps cannot be placed at / block objectives. This encourages creativity with traps.
  • To compensate, objectives will take longer to complete / have more steps / Jason receives an alert upon counselor interaction.
  • Jason can pick up different weapons throughout the match, including projectiles and more unique weapons such as weed whacker.
  • Jason's vision in darkness is akin to his vision with Sense activated, and torches for counselors also produce a stronger light source. In both cases, visibility in the game will be much improved without having to tweak any settings.
  • The overall feel of the match is the last chapter of an F13 movie, fast-paced and exciting without trying to push immersion.

Feel free to question me on any given idea. I have thought it all out but to justify every point here would take too long. I have purposely left out combat for now since that is a huge topic on its own.

I like the ideas except tweaking maybe two things. Jason being FASTER than a counselor wouldn’t really be accurate. Trish Jarvis still outran Jason in the chase scene in Part 4. Counselors with higher speed should be able to easily outrun Jason. I get it if it is Deborah who is slower than Jason but Tiffany and Vanessa should be a lot faster than a running Jason if you are going to base it on Part 4.

I like the idea of Jason being “knocked back” but I wouldn’t say UNSTUNNABLE. Maybe a slight percentage (5-10%) of being stunned with a good weapon such as a bat or wrench, let’s not forget how many times Chris Higgins knocked Jason on his ass in Part 3. 

Not in favor of maps being smaller.

I like the idea that the maps were supposed to be even larger according to Illfonic.

The lake for instance, doesn't have enough scope, in the big maps or the small maps. Its an iconic part of the franchise, which also means it shouldn't be made a non factor.

Killing Jason either needs to be removed or made more difficult.

The entire skill level needs to scale in favor of Jason, not counselor. They definitely went the Dead By Daylight route instead with the side with the majority having it easier because its supposed to 'balanced'. In other words, Jason should have it easier, which means the newer counselor players aren't going to like the game and the seasoned counselor players will try to exploit what they can of his weaknesses, but there shouldn't be many and most often, it shouldn't work in their favor. Problem in this game is Jason is hampered by both bugs and bad mechanics which can be exploited by decent counselor players. He's too easy to kill, he's inferior in melee and grab is only useful if counselors are spread out enough to execute kills and longer kills are only useful if only a few remain and are spread out. If they are holding hands like they are on small maps at all times,. even meta grab kills can be made a pointless exercise combined with pocket knives and auto freebies with melee.

I have other ideas and believed in special abilities, but eh. Doesn't matter at this point.

• Like 1

Despite being so mad at GUN for halting developement...I gotta say, they nailed this game. From head to toe. The amount of detail from all the movies that went into this game goes beyond perfection.

Does the game have bugs? Sure. But c'mon let's be honest, the game works the way it should more often than not.

I could not have made a better F13 game.

• Like 1