The Arrogant Man

Was Part 4 Jason "Alive"?

It's pretty well excepted that Jason was alive in parts 2 through 4, and undead in part 6 on wards. But are we sure Part 4 Jason is actually still alive? He was pronounced dead after all, and he seemed kind of off in the movie. He seems oddly implacable and painless unlike the last two, and he spends most the movie standing in the cold and heavy rain. Parts 2 and 3 would have sought out shelter. He gets a machete planted between his fingers and barely gives a fuck! Parts 2 and 3 would have been doubled over in pain. Then there are those scenes where he spends extended amounts of time under water. He moves unusually stiffly throughout most of the film, and when we finally see his face, he looks VERY ill. I'm aware that he was suffering blood loss, but I don't know. I'm not saying he was a proper zombie killing machine then, but he seems like he wasn't exactly living Jason either.

What are people's thoughts on this? I'm curious what other people's opinions on this are.

• Like 1

hunny we know jasons mind is stuck in the one of a kid, its debateable if he was alive at all until part 4, i highly doubt it for several reasons such as nobody surviving that but i have to take in mind its movies. 

just remember different people made the movies almost each time making their own take on the franchise.

and we don't know if he was ever alive after drowning, i think he is dead since the 1st movie but that he somehow makes it back victor crowley style in anger

• Like 1

hunny we know jasons mind is stuck in the one of a kid, its debateable if he was alive at all until part 4, i highly doubt it for several reasons such as nobody surviving that but i have to take in mind its movies. 

I feel really confident that Part 2 is a normal human being. 3 was a bit freakish for sure though. But he still reacted to pain like a normal person.

just remember different people made the movies almost each time making their own take on the franchise.

Oh I know that, but what fun is that explanation :P

and we don't know if he was ever alive after drowning, i think he is dead since the 1st movie but that he somehow makes it back victor crowley style in anger

Actually...he never really died when he drowned as a kid,here's the thing...they never found his body,so somehow his body must have washed ashore somewhere near the lake,then expulsed the water from his lungs and lived lonely in the woods for years.

Jason look very alive in part 2,3 and 4,you can see it by the color of his skin and that it's not decomposed.

Also The arrogant man,part 4 Jason can feel pain,when you see Tommy whacking the machete in his left eye,you can hear Jason screaming in pain,so yeah he his still a 'living human'.

• Like 1

i also think that. Part 4 is diferent than part 1/2. Also, i remember that his skin color changes to a much more white tone :) anyway, the franchise has a lot of holes (including... Where the fuck did he get his mask back in "Takes Manhattan"? Where did he get the overalls from part 9?

Actually...he never really died when he drowned as a kid,here's the thing...they never found his body,so somehow his body must have washed ashore somewhere near the lake,then expulsed the water from his lungs and lived lonely in the woods for years.

Jason look very alive in part 2,3 and 4,you can see it by the color of his skin and that it's not decomposed.

Also The arrogant man,part 4 Jason can feel pain,when you see Tommy whacking the machete in his left eye,you can hear Jason screaming in pain,so yeah he his still a 'living human'.

Not true. The only time he makes noise in that movie is when he stabs banana chick. And if course he doesn't look super decomposed. It's been like a day since Part 3. Plus he does look a little decayed. His face looks deflated, and his skin is SUPER pale.

Well it doesnt matter anyway,even if you are doubtful about Part 4 Jason being either alive or undead,most of us members know that Jason is not an undead until Part 6.

That is all.

Well it doesnt matter anyway,even if you are doubtful about Part 4 Jason being either alive or undead,most of us members know that Jason is not an undead until Part 6.

That is all.

I'm trying to have a fun discussion here. Not change the canon. It's interesting to consider.

Not true. The only time he makes noise in that movie is when he stabs banana chick. And if course he doesn't look super decomposed. It's been like a day since Part 3. Plus he does look a little decayed. His face looks deflated, and his skin is SUPER pale.

FreakyFrank is correct that Jason does yell in pain when he gets hit in the head with the machete. It's tough to hear over Trish's screaming but it's there. And I don't think Jason is undead as he still clearly shows that he doesn't want to experience pain. When Trish is wielding the machete he's straight up trying to dodge it and tentatively picking his spot to attack so he doesn't get hit. If Jason was undead he wouldn't give a damn about getting hit lol. 

FreakyFrank is correct that Jason does yell in pain when he gets hit in the head with the machete. It's tough to hear over Trish's screaming but it's there. And I don't think Jason is undead as he still clearly shows that he doesn't want to experience pain. When Trish is wielding the machete he's straight up trying to dodge it and tentatively picking his spot to attack so he doesn't get hit. If Jason was undead he wouldn't give a damn about getting hit lol. 

You are both correct. I just finished re watching the movie less than half an hour ago, and Jason makes a lot of noise in that movie. I was wrong. Direct me to some crow, that I may eat it.

My head canon is that Jason is already...not quite right in part 2, let alone 4. I think he's alive, but he's already able to survive and function and quite likely regenerate through stuff that a normal human being wouldn't be able to do. That machete wound in part 2's finale should've killed him by itself, between the shock, organ damage and blood loss.

I get that feeling there's already something looking over and protecting him. Some 'higher power', either for evil or just plain mischief.

It's just that he does have limits, and he is alive in that sense, but the damage in 4's finale is just too much in too short a space of time and he dies.

By the time he's getting revived in part 6 (and the lightning has always felt like both a supernatural influence and a supercharge to his regenerative process, to me), all bets are off and he's functionally undead.

My head canon is that Jason is already...not quite right in part 2, let alone 4. I think he's alive, but he's already able to survive and function and quite likely regenerate through stuff that a normal human being wouldn't be able to do. That machete wound in part 2's finale should've killed him by itself, between the shock, organ damage and blood loss.

I get that feeling there's already something looking over and protecting him. Some 'higher power', either for evil or just plain mischief.

It's just that he does have limits, and he is alive in that sense, but the damage in 4's finale is just too much in too short a space of time and he dies.

By the time he's getting revived in part 6 (and the lightning has always felt like both a supernatural influence and a supercharge to his regenerative process, to me), all bets are off and he's functionally undead.

I suppose that makes sense.

Im gonna say hes alive just because the first movie that shows him being brought back from the dead is part 6

I think he was supernatural. I dont think he knew it. Let's break this down. Part 2 was survivable. Perhaps. But not in a way that he couldve gone on killing the next day. The very fact that he was up and hunting the next day shows he is inhuman at that point. The end of Part 3 certainly wouldve killed him from both skull damage and blood loss. By part 4 I think he was dead and rotting but just didnt know it. He isnt too bright, after all.

• Like 1

I think he was supernatural. I dont think he knew it. Let's break this down. Part 2 was survivable. Perhaps. But not in a way that he couldve gone on killing the next day. The very fact that he was up and hunting the next day shows he is inhuman at that point. The end of Part 3 certainly wouldve killed him from both skull damage and blood loss. By part 4 I think he was dead and rotting but just didnt know it. He isnt too bright, after all.

So Jason is an ork from WH40K?

Part 4 Jason definitely had an almost gray-ish tinge to his skin. I'd still say he was alive, as in not full blown zombie, but he was certainly the least alive of the alive Jasons.

• Like 1

Part 2 Jason was already undead, you can tell this by the part of the thumbnail where it is black. This indicates there is not living blood cells because in a live person, that area is white on the thumb due to living blood cells. As discussed on another F13 website, Jason is a revenant, a spirit whose unfinished business is so strong, that they are stuck on earth (due to Pamela's death).

Friday-the-13th-Part-2-jason-voorhees-26

• Like 1

@redcat. Errr umm...you do know that if you smash your finger or nail hard enough like with a weapon or tool or in a door that your nails will turn black just like that? And fall off even...its just blood pooling under a surface..similar to a black eye. Killing people is rough (i think) and it could be argued he smashed his hands carrying a body, or breaking a window. What "dead body" you know gets hit in the nuts and doubles over? Jason wasnt dead until after Tommy/Trish killed him in part 4. People need to get with it and get out of here with this silly theory. If Jason lacked blood cells in his hands or fingers he would have gangrene. Even worse you would see rigor mortis bruising if he was truely dead. This jason part 2 and after "being dead already" idea is straight bunk.

• Like 2

Definitely still "alive." His different demeanor is from a different actor, director but if you want to use a point in the earlier films to explain it: Jason received an axe in the head, likely causing significant brain damage. Info on left side brain damage: https://www.reference.com/health/happens-left-hemisphere-brain-damaged-f6e30c6f8d6c2391

First of all he is not human in first 4 parts. Since Pamela revived Jason with Necronomicon we can't call him real human, he was somehow undead (extremely durable + regenerative powers) but skill killable.
After lightning struck his dead body he came back to life as a zombie which boosted him to the state he cannot be killed.

He wasn't actually alive after his revival by Pamela hands but if we wan't to reduce it all to basic thinking we can say that till the end of part 4 Jason was "somehow alive".

I respectfully disagree. First off, part 8(arguably the worst of the series) explains nothing, other than the book lying around. 2nd thru the first few movies no plan could have been made to foresee that this was how the story goes. If we look at this thru the eyes of Part2 only, because simply that is when Jason makes his appearance....

-Jason drowned(not really)

-his body was never found

-he survived the drowning and lived in the woods for years

-did not want to return to his mom for whatever reason(abuse possibly)

-saw mom beheaded and it angered him

-goes on his own revenge killing spree

-part2 explains most of this

*part1 was a dream ending and part of Alice's imagination based on what she knew about Jason from Mrs. Voorhees.

That's my take on it from a kid who was born in the 70s. ;)

Not sure where you get the Necronomicon thing from? Is that in Jason Goes to Hell or a comic? If that's the real explanation that's awful.

That begs the question...what actually classifies something as being "true" and "canon"? Most of these theories are being based off the spinoff comics. In JGTH the necronomicon was seen. True that was a film (although if you notice, neither Jason Goes To Hell nor Jason X carry the Friday the 13th logo or name) but they were different takes or branches of the main Paramount series. Does that make it canon? What makes one thing canon and the next thing not? If someone makes a fanfilm why do some say its not canon...but a comic is? Since this Friday the 13th game is "official", if the devs create scenarios and characters now does it make it canon? Why or why not? Is Kenny Riddell officially canon to Friday the 13th?