tyrant666

2 Seater And The Boat: Gameplay Failures Or Victims Of A Casual, Lazy Playerbase?

This has come to me a lot as I came back to playing the game recently, but even before when I was heavily playing the game over the 2017 Summer/Fall. It just seems like these two escape methods are more or less ignored in favor of the following in interchangable order.

1. Cops/Kill Jason/4 Seater

2. Kill Jason/Cops/4 Seater

3. See Above

4. Time Limit Win

I can't count how many times I've seen escape parts around the 2 seater, only for players to hijack them and put them over by the 4 seater, even if the 4 seater is all the way across the map.

I can't count how many times I've seen the boat untouched time and time again, regardless if it was on the original 3 maps or the much larger, permanent boat escapes on Pinehurst and Jarvis. A lot of that I feel is because the propeller is SO HARD to find visually. Its always in weird spots on all the maps and with speed looting for knives/spray a thing and others concerned with other things, the propeller is easy to miss, not to mention I think a lot of the newer players don't know about item location on maps being a thing when they are dropped. The other issue with the boat escape is its the only method of play where counselors can't freely gang stun Jason when he tips the boat. Jason owns the water, the counselors don't and I think that ego trip for those types of players keeps them from giving a shit about the boat escape, knowing they can't stun Jason to oblivion to escape like with a car.

Or could it be because you simply can only have two counselors in each escape? There is more incentive in the other methods. 4 people can escape with the 4 seater, everybody can escape with the cops or time limit win and only a couple of counselors have to die in order for Tommy and a sweater girl to beat Jason to death.

I remember a long time back I proposed a way to make the 2 seater more interesting via a gameplay mechanic and that was allowing the counselors to do a QTE to remove all the luggage from the backseats of the car that would effectively turn it into a 4 seater. However it would require at least two counselors to do the QTE, which would balance it out I feel as well as Jason would hear things being tossed around if the counselors failed the checks, which would alert him to the car. Bottom line, once done the car could now effectively hold 4 players. I felt this would help make the 2 seater more attractive if it could be modified to hold 4 counselors via QTE.

So what becomes of all this? Are the two seater/boat escapes just gameplay failures that didn't keep casual play in mind or were they fine features, but victims of a casual playerbase that became too entitled to bother using them more in comparison to the kill/troll Jason, cops, 4 seater and time limit win?

tumblr_od4rhh8tJ31tq4of6o1_400.gif

Well stop dropping parts by the two seater and install them.....

I install the parts as I find them and take them to the proper place. Now if only 4 people are left and the four seater needs a part I will take the two seaters part to it, but that's a numbers game.

In quickplay I am more than happy to leave by myself in the two seater to watch everyone else die because they can't fix anything or call Jarvis.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

So what becomes of all this? Are the two seater/boat escapes just gameplay failures that didn't keep casual play in mind or were they fine features, but victims of a casual playerbase that became too entitled to bother using them more in comparison to the kill/troll Jason, cops, 4 seater and time limit win?

I think they're fine. In fact I often make it a priority to try and escape in the boat when it's available. Well, unless it's a Part 7 or 8 Jason, then I'm far more unlikely to yet it. If the escape attempt gets me drowned, so be it. Unlike rubber-banding, that's how the boat is played and I'm agreeing to that risk.

As far as the 2-seater is concerned, I sometimes prefer it over the 4-seater. Counselors do often tend to swarm the 4-seater as if it's the only means of escape. This distracts Jason and buys me time to repair, and drive off, in the 2-seater. As far as carting all parts to the 4-seater, yeah that can be irritating but since the items are visible on the map I find that the majority of the time nothing is taken anywhere anyways. 

I like the fact that 6 total seats also means not everyone is getting out, or, suggests it. There's always the cops.

• Like 2

I believe it's both.

I prefer escaping by boat because of this and the majority of the time, due to the prop being hard to spot for many as you mentioned. On a map with a boat spawn I seek the prop immediately and usually it isn't hard to find if you know the right places to look. 

The gas is usually a different story because people either take it to the car no matter how far away it is or some troll grabs it, only to cling to it for dear life while wandering aimlessly. 

Ummmmm I’m not a repairer so I’m dropping it off at the car for someone else to repair it, too bad!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Yoshman2523 said:

Ummmmm I’m not a repairer so I’m dropping it off at the car for someone else to repair it, too bad!

Bugzy can repair too. Honestly at the beginning if you find a part put it in even if a dumb character. One less thing he can trap and if everyone is repairing something he can't be everywhere at once.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I play QP, I find that basically no one ever attempts any fixes no matter what.  Half of the time, the other counselors don't even attempt to call Tommy.

Way to get that pocketknife, you speed-looting asshole...good luck surviving the whole match with that as your only objective.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Getting 4 people out in the blue car is better than only 2 in the yellow car.  So if the battery or gas hasn't been put in the 4 seater and you find it, even if it's next to the 2 seater, I can see the allure of carrying it over.  

The boat is pretty much to borrow Crazy Ralph's verbiage "a death curse" 

8 minutes ago, SirMang said:

Getting 4 people out in the blue car is better than only 2 in the yellow car.  So if the battery or gas hasn't been put in the 4 seater and you find it, even if it's next to the 2 seater, I can see the allure of carrying it over.  

The boat is pretty much to borrow Crazy Ralph's verbiage "a death curse" 

Your logic falls apart in reality.  If a gas can is near the 2-seater,  put it in there.  The gas for the 4-seater will be somewhat near it.  And if the rest of the party is too stupid, lazy, or dead to find that gas can, you don't need 4 seats anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gtdjlocker311 said:

Your logic falls apart in reality.  If a gas can is near the 2-seater,  put it in there.  The gas for the 4-seater will be somewhat near it.  And if the rest of the party is too stupid, lazy, or dead to find that gas can, you don't need 4 seats anyway.

Oh, I know that if there are both cars on the map the gas and battery for each respective car are near the car.  Doesn't mean everyone realizes this.  Or you could be in one of those matches where some troll finds a gas can, picks it up and just carries it for the rest of the match around the map or even worse locks it in an upstairs bedroom at Packanack or Higgins. 

There are reasons to carry around the 2 seater gas to the 4 seater, both legitimate and stupid. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SirMang said:

Oh, I know that if there are both cars on the map the gas and battery for each respective car are near the car.  Doesn't mean everyone realizes this.  Or you could be in one of those matches where some troll finds a gas can, picks it up and just carries it for the rest of the match around the map or even worse locks it in an upstairs bedroom at Packanack or Higgins. 

There are reasons to carry around the 2 seater gas to the 4 seater, both legitimate and stupid. 

Fair enough.  I just know that the best groups are always pushing every objective.  It's the best way to beat Jason.

• Like 2

I go for the boat as often as possible... so often that the name "Pequod" should be painted on the bow. I escape more often than not, the speed of whichever Jason in the water is not an issue... It is whether or not the Jason player notices the boat is moving and where they choose to teleport to. Only a +Water speed can even catch up to you in the boat at all. If they are far enough behind you, they will not catch you anyway... If you can get any other Jason behind you, it is a non issue, you will escape. Only Part 2 has a short enough Morph regeneration to have a chance of getting in front of you again... As long as you are not in a narrow canal at this point, you can still work around them as Jason is visible on the mini map anyway.

Many people pass by the propeller, either by accident or on purpose. I usually find it in a cabin that has been looted before I got there. The key to the boat escape is the sneakiness. If you advertise it over the walkie... four or five counselors show up before you can get it moving... all those sound pings in the same direction as the boat are how I usually notice it is about to start moving when someone tries for the boat. Make one mistake with that propeller, or even a mistake with the gas if there is only one car and Jason already saw someone put the gas in it.... and the Jason player knows to watch for it. I always try to convince someone to follow me to the boat without mentioning the boat... easier to accomplish if I am carrying the propeller, but I will leave alone in the boat if no one is around on my way to the boat with the final repair part. Ass I already said, a successful boat escape is dependent on the sneakiness.
   If he does not notice the boat is moving, or hears the engine... or has just used a morph... then you have a free ride out. It is always worth the risk.

@tyrant666 I don't think there should be an option to turn the 2 seater into a four seater. Good teams can already get both cars moving before Jason gets his first shift. Its nice to still have at least one counselor to kill when this happens.
   If this was an option, even fewer people would try for the boat than the few that try now. But against a good Jason, fighting over the car only leads to three slashing kills and a grab kill for the last one... that never works out well for people that do that against me. They have a much better chance running away and circling back around to the car after it is stopped, particularly if they got it close to the exit.

• Like 1

I always go for the boat if possible. Most of the time Jason doesn't notice it leaving so it's usually worth the risk. Especially if you time it for when you know he'll be busy. As for people taking parts to the other car, yeah that sucks. If you found it near that car leave it at that car. Only reason not to is if the other car has the gas and just needs the battery or the reverse. 

• Like 1

I suck at driving the car (I never tried that "let's take turns practicing in a private match" thing) so I only accumulated a few minutes in the car as a driver, but the boat is super easy to maneuver as long as you don't get lost. I prefer it personally, it's just finding the propeller that is the problem.

3 hours ago, gtdjlocker311 said:

Yep. Drives me nuts when people do that shit.

It's all about strategy & I rarely have trouble escaping if I get the boat repaired. As mentioned above, staying low key & having someone help find the gas or knows how to search for the propeller is the way to go. 

Speed looters are notorious for missing it because as also mentioned, they are looking for pocket knives and/or a gun which is usually a foolish method in most cases against even a half brained Jason. 

One can be a lone wolf while working for the whole team and be a tremendous asset if done correctly and in any match not full of selfish baffoons who are afraid to die and believe a good time is gang banging Jason with virtual bats, balls and pussies. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, malloymk said:

Yep. Drives me nuts when people do that shit.

Only makes sense when you have 4 counselors left and the 4 seater is closer to being ready. Not early in the match. Heck even then if I have keys and a good idea where the last piece is I still may do two seater. If nothing else I can drive jason around while they fix 4 seater.

7 hours ago, SirMang said:

Or you could be in one of those matches where some troll finds a gas can, picks it up and just carries it for the rest of the match around the map or even worse locks it in an upstairs bedroom at Packanack or Higgins. 

you cant do this anymore all doors that dont have a barricade can be unlocked from both sides

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tyrant666 said:

This has come to me a lot as I came back to playing the game recently, but even before when I was heavily playing the game over the 2017 Summer/Fall. It just seems like these two escape methods are more or less ignored in favor of the following in interchangable order.

1. Cops/Kill Jason/4 Seater

2. Kill Jason/Cops/4 Seater

3. See Above

4. Time Limit Win

I guess it depends on the Lobby, the less coordinated it is, ether nothing gets done or any random objectives may be pushed.  If a group of players come in together, the more likely the escapes you repeated, Cops/Kill Jason/4-seater, will be pursed to ensure the survival of many as possible.  Even as Jason, I rarely place traps on the 2-seater, only when it's the only car on the map or its already started and I still have the spare trap I like to keep for re-trapping.  If it gets started, I'm usually able to prevent it from escaping, but I'm willing to let it go if a more important objective is being pressed simultaneously.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sfosterjr said:

you cant do this anymore all doors that dont have a barricade can be unlocked from both sides

shows how much I play this game anymore.  LOL 

• Haha 1

If it’s quickplay it doesn’t matter -90% of those matches not a single part is installed in anything unless I pick a repair counselor...or am willing to try as Jenny lol. 

• Like 1

That's so weird. When people are actively pushing objectives and the boat is on the map, the lobbies I've been in have had people trying to escape in it. If anything I've seen a huge increase in trying to escape by boat.

As far as the 4 seater being repaired over the 2 seater, that one is obvious. The 4 seater can take more people. Its not only generous to try and fix that one over the 2 seater, but it increases your chances of being saved if Jason stops the car since more people are likely to be there to save you from Jasons grasp. I know when I'm playing, I will usually run parts across the map to fix the 4 seater.

• Like 2

yea but if the parts are already by the 2 seater then your possibly screwing those who cant get a seat in the 4 seater. granted the person dropped part off by 2 seater should at least attempt to fix it if its early in match

Boats are a death sentences. The water eats your stamina, nullify weapons and pocket knives. I'll only take the boat if the car is started and Jason is trying to catch those there AND he's a Jason that's slow in the water. Or if it's at the beginning of the match and Jason barely has any abilities. The propeller is ridiculously hard to find, so when it comes to the newer maps like Jarvis House and Pinehurst the cops are more favorable. But then again it's QP so chances are someone has the fuse and is too scared of the traps and won't even drop it. So Jason's guarding the phone, there's a 2 seater and the boat is a death sentence. At this point if any of my friends spawn as Tommy, I would rather kill Jason or die trying than fix an objective. If any of my friends are alive then we survive the night by saving each other everytime Jason grabs. And just in case he slashes we all run thick skin and Medic.

I think the problem with people preferring to kill Jason over doing an objective is the traps. Since I run thick skin and Medic they aren't much a problem for me but they don't just function to notify Jason they do a lot of damage as well and this paired with the fact med sprays are harder to find deters people from fixing thing opting to kill Jason because they don't trap the shack, often.

• Confused 1

if there's a 2 and a 4 on the map, i almost always go after the 2-seater (especially in QP) because most jasons focus all their energy on the 4-seater. even if you screw up the mini-game, you're still relatively safe because there's a good chance jason will morph to the 4.