jaysonvohees

Rest In Pieces Friday The 13th The Game (Kotaku Article)

23 hours ago, ShaunAburame said:

Trash or not, they nailed it.

I disagree.  

They didn't nail shit.   

This is the same website that promoted Anita Stankeesian.  Was on the WRONG side of gamer gate.  Complained about white people in video games.  Complain about good looking females in video games.  Kotaku is the last gaming website i would ever go to, for video game news.

I could have written a better article..  Piss drunk, with one hand.

• Like 4

The article is a pretty fair summation. 

I for one am about to stop playing altogether. I can't stand the bugs at this point. Between random spawning, matches dropping after they load, and combat lock it's feels borderline unplayable.

I'll have my Hide or Die beta available in about a month, that's exciting. And hopefully soon, Last Year: The Nightmare. 

I've enjoyed myself since coming back, but the combat lock, spectator bug and not being able to reliably pick a counselor or Jason is pretty bad and should've been hotfixed this week.

I remember when L4D2 support was winding down and DLC was more or less stopped and the community picked up the slack of content when Valve introduced the Workshop so the community could effectively mod the game with custom maps and content (another area where F13 will never succeed now). It was later revealed from an insider that Valve basically had/has one guy they paid working on any or all bugs for the game and that holds true today whenever they occasionally push out an update for the game.

Obviously its apples and oranges. F13 is asymmetrical horror while L4D/2 is a coop shooter. However L4D2/L4D are games that are playable.

Point being. It wouldn't surprise me if we are ALREADY at the point where only one person from Illfonic is actually working on the game now. Which is pretty bad after only one year removed from launch. Either way, fixes aren't coming fast enough for key issues and of course...things continue to break and its a wonder why the mood is so bleak.

tumblr_o3ahsnEMWD1u5qowmo1_500.gif

15 hours ago, HuDawg said:

I really don't give a crap about Kotaku.  They bitch about everything anyways... 

Kataku is like the CNN of video game websites.. Meaning its run by idiots for idiots

They get too much into leftist politics for my taste and inject them into gaming when it should not be. Will not read stuff by them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2018 at 3:45 PM, Thatguyinktown said:

Agree completely. This goes to show that dissatisfaction of the game is wide spread, and isn't just confined to factions here on the forums.

This is going to be the last Friday the 13th this game sees. Can't even make a full lobby on Steam today, no one's playing. Not a chance this game is going to make it until the next f13, September 2019.

The game is huge lol on consoles there are thousands of new players consistently coming in full lobbies! Pc maybe always slow?

4 hours ago, Redcat345 said:

They get too much into leftist politics for my taste and inject them into gaming when it should not be. Will not read stuff by them.

Thank you for saying this.  I thought I was imagining it at first, but then one of their writers tried to pushThe Division and its upcoming sequel into vehicles for identity politics and I still have a bad taste in my mouth from that drivel.

speak for yourself “players got bored” who the trolls? Lol not me not all the thousands of fans that still love the game! This article is good but why are there never articles showing negative against people trying to bash the game? It’s bullshit! 

- Camp 

• Like 1

the article was really pretty fair to the game. Actually seems like they played it and knew about it, unlike a lot of articles about games nowadays 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

Thank you for saying this.  I thought I was imagining it at first, but then one of their writers tried to pushThe Division and its upcoming sequel into vehicles for identity politics and I still have a bad taste in my mouth from that drivel.

I'll hook you up with your favorite alcohol to watch that bad taste from your mouth.

1 hour ago, PowellCampsNAKED said:

speak for yourself “players got bored” who the trolls? Lol not me not all the thousands of fans that still love the game! This article is good but why are there never articles showing negative against people trying to bash the game? It’s bullshit! 

- Camp 

I'm far from bored with this game. While its bugs make it less enjoyable, I still have a decent time with it.

• Thanks 1

Good article.

I played again last night after a short break and the game performance seems worse than ever. I thought the new engine was supposed to do the opposite, especially for lower end PCs..

I haven't seen anyone else reporting the graphics settings defaulting to very high every time you start the game. Maybe it's just me then but I constantly have to remember to check those before starting a game. Hasn't happened before.

Anyway, last night ended in frustration as I got stuck holding Jenny in my grasp indefinately. Couldn't kill, she couldn't escape.. And this was preceded by a prolonged episode of otherwise choppy/glitchy action and a pinata dance party. Playing as a counselor wasn't much more of a rewarding experience either.

I still want to love this game but it just doesn't love me back anymore. ?

51 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

I'm far from bored with this game. While its bugs make itmas enjoyable, I still have a de. cent time with it.

Totally agree, i have been playing this game since march, and yes it sucks nothing else may be coming out for the game, I will still play it, it is a unique game  that is fun to play

47 minutes ago, mbaldwin333 said:

Totally agree, i have been playing this game since march, and yes it sucks nothing else may be coming out for the game, I will still play it, it is a unique game  that is fun to play

I agree it does suck that we don't get any more content. And unique is an appropriate word for this game.

That article was so slanted it was ridiculous. There were a "few" details which came across as something you would see in a legitimate article, but overall it was rife with vitriol and hyperbole. The author's disdain for the development community reminds me of the loudest people here on the forums; who are the same ones who like to complain about things such as double xp, increased tape drops, and on and on and on. Makes me wonder the last time that "author" even played the game or if they simply got their "info" from the forums and facebook. 

I am not saying the game is perfect; far from it but it is very much playable and the community that I know and play with love the game for what it is...a game unlike any other out there right now, a game that allows people to play either side of a the greatest cat and mouse chase, and a game that...even with it's flaws...can be a very fun experience especially with friends. 

23 minutes ago, Jasix said:

I am not saying the game is perfect; far from it but it is very much playable and the community that I know and play with love the game for what it is...[...]

a game that...even with it's flaws...can be a very fun experience especially with friends. 

Define playable. I am playing games since roughly 28 years, not even most pirate/amateur programmed Commodore 64 games were as ridden with gamebreaking Bugs as this one. Every round I play at least one double kill, rubberband or interaction lock happens. 

I love the game, most of the community does. Lots of those are critical because of a deep affection for game and franchise. 

And yeah, the game is tons of fun. Especially when we laugh at the hilarious and often gamebreaking Bugs. Which I do. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thor_Bjarnason said:

Define playable. I am playing games since roughly 28 years, not even most pirate/amateur programmed Commodore 64 games were as ridden with gamebreaking Bugs as this one. Every round I play at least one double kill, rubberband or interaction lock happens. 

I love the game, most of the community does. Lots of those are critical because of a deep affection for game and franchise. 

And yeah, the game is tons of fun. Especially when we laugh at the hilarious and often gamebreaking Bugs. Which I do. 

I have seen bugs where people stand in cars, have no body but can still play (talk about stealth!).. etc, but I have never had to end or have a match end because some bug (*see below). I started playing online games in 1996 (Ultima Online) and have played online games since then and have seen even AAA games have major bugs/exploits etc that I consider much worse than anything in F13. The bugs you listed are not game breaking; especially if you are playing with friends. Get locked in an interaction... Jason picks you up and boom.. 5 second headstart. We just have differing definition of game breaking I guess, but like I said.. I ONLY play with friends and group members so things like interaction locks are no biggie; and honestly I think in 7 months of me playing regularly...I have had that happen 3-4 times. I have yet to see the rubberband glitch. The double kill is not game breaking... means Jason gets an extra "kill" and that person gets another chance. Like I said.. this game is nowhere near perfect, but it sure is a lot of fun. I look at the current "rivals" and the ones coming "soon" and they just don't interest me nearly as much as F13. I love the teamwork aspect of it and the scare of it...bugs and all. I am glad the devs have stated they are working on bugs and look forward to that. 

*Oh wait nope.. I just remembered one that happened awhile ago. There were four of us in the car and when Jason went to stop the car.. we all flew underneath the map into the lake. It was sooo weird seeing people walking above us etc. We did reset once we realized us four could not be caught or do anything. So yep.. 1 game breaking bug in 7+ months. 

41 minutes ago, Jasix said:

[...]

[1.]The bugs you listed are not game breaking; especially if you are playing with friends. Get locked in an interaction... Jason picks you up and boom.. 5 second headstart. We just have differing definition of game breaking I guess, but like I said.. I ONLY play with friends and group members so things like interaction locks are no biggie; and honestly I think in 7 months of me playing regularly...I have had that happen 3-4 times. I have yet to see the rubberband glitch. The double kill is not game breaking... means Jason gets an extra "kill" and that person gets another chance.

[2.] Like I said.. this game is nowhere near perfect, but it sure is a lot of fun. I look at the current "rivals" and the ones coming "soon" and they just don't interest me nearly as much as F13. [...]

1. As Bug taking away the vast majority of your avatar's abilities, all of which are neccessary to complete objectives or getting you stuck when movement is absolutely mandatory is not gamebreaking? You have a workaround for it, but even so, time is factor even if you help each other out. Besides, the answer for QP being broken shouldn't be to play Private Matches imo. 

2. I can agree with all of this. But this doesn't negate the serious issues this game has, although they might be considered QP issues if you seemingly don't encounter them in Private matches (or have workarounds for them). 

3 hours ago, Jasix said:

That article was so slanted it was ridiculous. There were a "few" details which came across as something you would see in a legitimate article, but overall it was rife with vitriol and hyperbole. The author's disdain for the development community reminds me of the loudest people here on the forums; who are the same ones who like to complain about things such as double xp, increased tape drops, and on and on and on. Makes me wonder the last time that "author" even played the game or if they simply got their "info" from the forums and facebook. 

I am not saying the game is perfect; far from it but it is very much playable and the community that I know and play with love the game for what it is...a game unlike any other out there right now, a game that allows people to play either side of a the greatest cat and mouse chase, and a game that...even with it's flaws...can be a very fun experience especially with friends. 

The article is somewhat slanted but is also quite respectful. It merely lists the history of major content and patches with a general summary of the community reaction to both. Slanted? Yes. Full of vitriol? Not even close. The article never once makes things up, goes crazy being overdramatic, or resorts to childish name calling. The worst posters here who really are full of bias vitriol do all of those things on a regular basis. The article never does any of this.

people are letting their hate of the site blind them to a decent article, that really shows what has gone on with the game. Of course, people will think its slanted, its saying the game is dead, and unless you think that too, you will think its slanted. The article is 90% facts about the game and how it got to the state is in. thats more facts than most gaming websites use in a year.

It's probably some of the most fair coverage the game has gotten, It's one of the few articles that isn't just press release from gun.

22 hours ago, PowellCampsNAKED said:

- Camp 

No, backers are bored. Lots of people are bored with it. I had friends buy it on my recommendation and only play a few matches before never touching it again. Why? Its a mediocre game at best. Full of bugs and errors. Inefficient aiming  system. We have constant connection issues and now we earn Cp that won't matter in a few months to a year. Then we can only play Jason client side with bots(assuming they make this possible) so who will care? Wont be able to finish 1000 multiplayer matches as Jason. 

I love the game too homie, but dont have blind judgment to accept it is what it is.

And this community is the most negative I have come across. From people whom feel they need to defend the devs and call anyone with valid reasons to be upset buzzwords like "toxic" or "entitled". Just as the other side proclaimed this game was dead before Christmas and the devs are crooks. Both are exaggerations people use to emphasize their point or use as a defense mechanism because they cant refute the reasons people provide in their criticisms.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TheHansonGoons said:

No, backers are bored. Lots of people are bored with it. I had friends buy it on my recommendation and only play a few matches before never touching it again. Why? Its a mediocre game at best. Full of bugs and errors. Inefficient aiming  system. We have constant connection issues and now we earn Cp that won't matter in a few months to a year. Then we can only play Jason client side with bots(assuming they make this possible) so who will care? Wont be able to finish 1000 multiplayer matches as Jason. 

I love the game too homie, but dont have blind judgment to accept it is what it is.

And this community is the most negative I have come across. From people whom feel they need to defend the devs and call anyone with valid reasons to be upset buzzwords like "toxic" or "entitled". Just as the other side proclaimed this game was dead before Christmas and the devs are crooks. Both are exaggerations people use to emphasize their point or use as a defense mechanism because they cant refute the reasons people provide in their criticisms.

What? 

The developers were just too ambitious for their own goods.  They couldn't keep up.

The article is fairly accurate, and it doesn't even mention the update that made messed up the power balance between Jason and counselor's.  You know, the one where there was about a dozen knives per game and about 6 shotguns along with the weak Jason grab, no one even wanted to play as Jason.  Does anyone remember that?  

I think the game is much more playable now than it was then.  Escaping feels more rewarding now since Jason's much needed buff.

I wouldn't say the game is dead yet.  I still see new players whenever I get on quick play.  At least on Xbox anyways.  We will see how long it lasts.

I remember when no man's sky came out. It was beautiful catastrophe. But the Devs have been fighting for their game, adding content, fixing bugs and it is a completely different game from when it launched now. It took them a while but the game is a lot closer to what was promised and that's the devotion from Devs I like to see. It took them a while  but they got there eventually.

Unfortunately, I think if this game was given more time to work out its issues it still would never be what it should have been. That is mainly attributed to illfonic, not that Gun is blameless. There's plenty of criticism to go around. But a year after release my favorite part of this game is still VC and that's just a virtual museum. 

The game does get stale rather quickly. Some games can have a good run with only one core mode. Unfortunately this game just didn't hit all the right points to pull it off. That coupled with the endless onslaught of bugs and glitches made the game just plain frustrating at times. 

I think it's a pretty good article and points out some positives and negatives but nothing new that I didn't already know. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 1:41 PM, jaysonvohees said:

Link to the article

It's sad it's come to this. What does everyone think? Agree? Disagree?

I think it's refreshing to see a major gaming outlet report accurately and fairly on the problems of the game.

Hear this ALL... the game was a MASSIVE underdog/success! The only reason they'll pull the plug is because of the negativity exhibited by you "fans" . give gun a reason to continue work after the lawsuit.  This is a shock and unfortunate but if they feel WE support them they'll pick it back up after litigation. STOP SPREADING TROLL HATE.  this game is a phenomenal singularity. Support it, regardless of the outcome instead of falsely crying fowl. Just once can we rally rather than insult?? One. Time. Just once