tyrant666

Perks you used to use right around launch and a bit after, then never bothered with again?

Pretty simple.

Before we knew what 7 or 8 perks were actually good and mattered all around. Some of us probably used perks that we thought were cool at the time but realized later they served no real purpose.

For me

My Dads A Cop - While it was cool that there was a perk that allowed the cops to come faster if you called...nowadays its really simple...you call the cops by way of the Jason player being incompetent or the Jason player literally has too much to deal with at the phone box and that's how they get called.

Start With The Map - I don't remember the name off the top of my head, but I remember I used to use this perk early on and while I still pick up maps inside the kiosk or drawers. Using this perk doesn't serve a purpose anymore, though if Grendel came out, I could see myself dusting it off again.

Start With Firecrackers - I remember feeling like I had to have a defensive item to start, but with other perks being much more valuable, I stopped using this.

Start With A Walkie - I used to think this was so key, especially in beta/early launch because I felt like with proximity based communication, this would come in handy. Nowadays I don't bother with them and of course they came out with the non vocal method of communication,  dancathon aka 'emotes' as the excuse to cater to people who didn't want to use a mic for things other than trolling.

Start With A Bat - For the same reason as firecrackers, I thought it would be good to have a defensive item to start, but other perks much too valuable

What were yours?

• Like 2

Tinker.  I thought it made repairs easier, not faster (i.e. harder for most characters).

I still use "start with a map" on Jenny for her no-fear build that is viewed as her best build at the moment.  Also you don't always find a map right away.  It's also very helpful to see where everyone immediately spawned, so you know what cabins are going to be looted and you can create a path where you are most likely to find unlooted cabins.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

Start With The Map - I don't remember the name off the top of my head, but I remember I used to use this perk early on and while I still pick up maps inside the kiosk or drawers. Using this perk doesn't serve a purpose anymore, though if Grendel came out, I could see myself dusting it off again.

Preparedness?

I only used this one until I memorized the maps. Didn't bother with it for Jarvis/Pinehurst though.

I mostly used sense avoidance perks in the beginning. They've always been good to me so I never really stopped using them. Now I've mixed in some combat perks (slugger, swift attacker, and sucker punch) with a few "Vanessa perks" here and there.

Can't really think of any others that I started with. I got some good sense avoidance perks in the beginning, so I never really bothered changing things up too much.

I used to try and pick perks that suited the Counselors, not so much anymore but I do still experiment with the odd off perk. 

I run Thick Skin on most Counselors but rarely run medic, it took some getting used to running without medic. With the number of med sprays, I can see it being even better/more popular now.

I love NOS, since I rolled it, but only run it on Jenny currently as she’s my go to Counselor. 

Gave up on using Man-at-arms, can’t think of any others I used but don’t use anymore, never used the water based perks.

Any of the sense avoiding perks, and tinkerer. I use Preparedness all the time, I don't need it for the map really as much as the +10% to fear. It is nice to have to see where people are at the start, and get an idea of the layouts of the cabins for quick Tommy calls and fuse house locations. I know the maps pretty good, but to see the layout of the cabins is very telling of where things are.

3 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I used to try and pick perks that suited the Counselors, not so much anymore but I do still experiment with the odd off perk. 

I run Thick Skin on most Counselors but rarely run medic, it took some getting used to running without medic. With the number of med sprays, I can see it being even better/more popular now.

I love NOS, since I rolled it, but only run it on Jenny currently as she’s my go to Counselor. 

NoS is a perk I ignored for a long time and now I try to put NoS on everyone.  It's super-useful to know what direction Jason is moving since it's pretty generous to see him on your minimap after each time you see him.  You can usually see the start of his shift and what direction he's going - i.e. into the cabin to trick you into using the window, or around the cabin to grab you.

I still use preparedness because knowing where an objective is when you have a part can mean the difference between life and death.

• Like 2

I main AJ, so I use perk that muffles sound when you run and use the perk that gives more stamina.  That way I can move repair parts quickly back to the goal without making sound waves. Ive found that most Jason's tend to focus on the nosier councelors, (sorry Deborah and Lachappa, but I prefer Jason coming after you.)

For the third ive had sucess with either, Lone Wolf (manages composure and fear, keeping stamina Regen fast and me more mobile), swift attacker (this is more situational, I tend to avoid direct conflict, most of the time I don't have weapon because I'm hauling a part). Or  Any sense avoidance works, (level headed) but again it's only good for the first half of the match).

I used to bring my dad's a cop, preparedness, or medic. But found that they were useless because I could find what I needed or were too situational and found something better.

Preparedness.

Got the good ones Always fast and I Always knew what to choose. And also now I have The XP perk (I think Grinder or Meat Grinder) to get Weapon swapping as fast as possible.

11 minutes ago, shodan said:

I used to bring my dad's a cop, preparedness, or medic. But found that they were useless because I could find what I needed or were too situational and found something better.

You don´t know , that Medic is the best perk in the game? You don´t know how fucking annoying it can be if you are Jason? It´s not even a Little bit situational. Who doesn´t Need a healthspray?

Sorry , if I Sound pissed.

I used to use the swimming perk back in the day. Then I found out that water is a death trap.

Used to use my dads a cop. I always play deborah or aj so i was the one fixing the phone anyway. Currently I just play Tiffany and carry parts to where they need to be. Try to even fix it if I know Jason is preoccupied.

11 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

Preparedness.

Got the good ones Always fast and I Always knew what to choose. And also now I have The XP perk (I think Grinder or Meat Grinder) to get Weapon swapping as fast as possible.

You don´t know , that Medic is the best perk in the game? You don´t know how fucking annoying it can be if you are Jason? It´s not even a Little bit situational. Who doesn´t Need a healthspray?

Sorry , if I Sound pissed.

It's  just never not been able to find a spray. I don't play to fight Jason, so unless I'm tanking a trap, or being tunnelled.  I don't have to heal, often I'm dumping the spray if I get lucky and find an extra fire work or pocket knife.

Despite popular opion it's pretty easy to stay off Jason's radar for the first half of the game with stealth.  (Provided you played smart).  With high composure it's easy to use hiding spots, you don't hold your breath and just wait for him to leave. (Prerage).

Like I said I used to take it, it's not a bad perk. And I recommend to all newer players or combat orientated players.  With my play style there's better things to take.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TangledHelix said:

Used to use my dads a cop. I always play deborah or aj so i was the one fixing the phone anyway. Currently I just play Tiffany and carry parts to where they need to be. Try to even fix it if I know Jason is preoccupied. 

If you do it often enough , you will also be able to fix it without making a mistake. Vanessa is of Course much better at it but I guess you just want to Play as Tiffany.

@shodan good Points you have. And it is easy to avoid him even as Vanessa....guess how….run away. As Long as you don´t look at him in a hidind spot he , your character won't say anything. Except Maybe Chad but yeah. But everyone who wants to waste the whole Lobby members time and just can't lose , yeah , those People Always have medic and it is horrible.

Used to run Marathon, then I learned how to hit Jason consistently :D

• Like 1

I used medic until I learned how to juke Jason better. Have not used it for ages... I have no trouble finding med sprays, even currently. There are far more useful perks to use.
   Situational perks are too... situational to waste time with. I have friends that run certain situational perks... like my dad's a cop. With communication, and knowing which friend is running which perk... we can make these situational perks far more useful... but I do not bother equipping them myself.
   For quite a while I ran with marathon and restful... until I discover the no-fear build.
   I have used the map perk since I first got it... have had the epic for quite a while, still don't have a legendary version. Having a map early on can be very important not only to know which cabins to loot, but to know where to bring a part when you find one early. I find maps all the time when running this perk... but the moment I switch this perk up, I have a hell of a time finding a map, maybe that is just my shit luck... Knowing the layout of maps is one thing, being able to instantly recognize where you are on a map is another, even if you have all the maps  memorized. You do not know where the cars or boat spawn without a map unless you see them on your screen... and having communication with people across the map takes finding a walkie. I also do not rely on other's ability to read a map... which is often questionable... and the fear reduction bonus is helpful to all counselors.
   Currently, I use Epic Preparedness, Epic Lone Wolf and Legendary Nerves of Steel (the only legendary perk I have (out of 14) that I actually use). It is much easier to keep fear to a minimum, so less stumbling (the bane of all counselors)… stamina regenerations stays high and even on low composure counselors I find this better than using restful.. even at epic level. Consistently high stamina regeneration makes Marathon unnecessary. Never losing the mini map with nerves of steel is extremely helpful in many situations if you do fall into fear. Seeing Jason on the mini map when driving the boat for instance. Only a +Water Speed Jason stands a chance of catching you if you can keep him behind you... and he only catches up so quickly. I have even been able to out maneuver fast water speed Jasons thanks to not losing the mini map many times.
   This build works best on Jenny, but is extremely helpful to any high composure counselors as well... anything above 6 composure and you will notice a huge difference with this build. Surprisingly enough, I find it more helpful even with low composure counselors than many other builds I have tried.

I do keep perks that may be useful, even situational perks. One day, for whatever reason, I may want to try some other perk builds again. As I said, I have 14 legendary perks, but everything else I have is of epic level and most have zero penalties. Some of those penalties you have to keep an eye on... using multiple perks with even 2 or 3 % reduction to sprint speed can be very harmful to low speed counselors.
   Faster swimming, faster car speed, faster boat speed, faster repair speed... stuff like that I find unnecessary or even useless... and will never bother using them. So these get sold every time they come up on a roll.

• Like 1

Lightfoot on AJ. If I need(ed) to be near an objective to repair it and make myself useful, then whether I'm easily detected or not is irrelevant, because I'll be right ass there soon enough.

Also, everyone saying "I don't run medic, I find plenty of sprays", clearly isn't considering that every spray you find is one a teammate doesn't, and you can't be as helpful to other players when you can only heal yourself- I can't think of another perk you can effectively "transfer" and still use.

• Like 1

The walkie one and the tent one. When I was new and the game was still scary, if I was the last one alive I'd hide in a tent. 🤣 Believe it or not it worked out for me a handful of times and I survived the night. Those poor spectators...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, BFizzle said:

The walkie one and the tent one. When I was new and the game was still scary, if I was the last one alive I'd hide in a tent. 🤣 Believe it or not it worked out for me a handful of times and I survived the night. Those poor spectators...

ROFL.  I've still survived the night a few times by juking Jason as long as I had items, then limping over to a bed in one of those houses with 20 beds and running out the timer before Jason is able to stab the right one.  Thank you Jenny for your composure :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SDA said:

Lightfoot on AJ. If I need(ed) to be near an objective to repair it and make myself useful, then whether I'm easily detected or not is irrelevant, because I'll be right ass there soon enough.

Also, everyone saying "I don't run medic, I find plenty of sprays", clearly isn't considering that every spray you find is one a teammate doesn't, and you can't be as helpful to other players when you can only heal yourself- I can't think of another perk you can effectively "transfer" and still use.

I heal other players all the time... when they require it. When in quick play with randoms, its not like anybody does it for me, but I will still do it for them. The only problem I see with med sprays are that thee are still too many.
   Most people in quick play hog them for themselves and use them in their self destructive quest to bully Jason for as long as possible. These types of players are the ones who are not considering the team. Putting Jason in rage mode within the first 5 minutes (and using up how many med sprays?) helps NO ONE but Jason. This is why I do not participate in bullying Jason, it screws over everyone left alive after the battle Chads are dealt with. Most know this, but do not care... its all about what is fun for them... which is a "Fuck the Team" attitude if you ask me.... Now tell me why I should heal a player that was bullying Jason and already used several med sprays on themselves, and left us a Jason with early rage mode to deal with.... but I will heal them anyway... even if it is my only spray.
   As a Jason player, I whole heartedly welcome an early rage mode... the battle Chads never last long and they are pretty salty or even damned rude when they get cut down so fast. I have had a great deal of practice in dealing with them. That... and on one of the maps which has "reduced sprays" on it... Crystal Lake I think it was... I counted 19 med sprays used or dropped by counselors that I killed. Perks may have been involved, I did not ask... but just how many med sprays do we really need on one map? That was truly ridiculous... and on a "reduced spray" map no less.

Even an epic lightfoot only reduces your sound pings so much. 15% if I am not mistaken... that gives one less sound ping out of ten. 20% would only give you two less sound pings out of ten. Patience works better. Sprint less with A.J. she give off zero pings when jogging... But if someone puts Jason into rage mode early as mentioned above, no amount of stealth will help you. The sense avoidance perks are a big help here if you are knowledgeable and patient enough to use stealth effectively. Most people just don't have the patience to use it effectively. It is almost always the sound pings that give them away. I have a few friends that have the knowledge about the stealth system and the patience to use it effectively. When they run the sense avoidance perks I have a hell of a time finding them... but these perks are not perfect. They help, but not all the time, and nothing in the game should be 100% anyway.

5 hours ago, NScarlato said:

Thank you Jenny for your composure :)

Yes! I was Jenny every time I survived the night in the tent. She really is underrated.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ahab said:

Most people in quick play hog them for themselves and use them in their self destructive quest to bully Jason for as long as possible. These types of players are the ones who are not considering the team. Putting Jason in rage mode within the first 5 minutes (and using up how many med sprays?) helps NO ONE but Jason. This is why I do not participate in bullying Jason, it screws over everyone left alive after the battle Chads are dealt with. Most know this, but do not care... its all about what is fun for them... which is a "Fuck the Team" attitude if you ask me.... Now tell me why I should heal a player that was bullying Jason and already used several med sprays on themselves, and left us a Jason with early rage mode to deal with.... but I will heal them anyway... even if it is my only spray.

LOL, the mistake that many Kill-squad make is their plan is centred around bulling Jason until he is dead.  They mob up as ASAP, then mug him until his mask is off, then continue to fight him until Tommy and Sweater show up.  The mistake that many attempt on me is they do this Even When Tommy Hasn't Been Called Yet.  WTF lol.  Even against a Bad Jason, tangling with him too long risks losing weapons, survival resources, and even the sweater.  A friend of mine sent me a replay where a Vanessa grabbed the sweater first thing, organized a mob, attempted to bully Jason, but ended up wasted sweater in a panic, died, then became Tommy.  Total Fail.  Even as a Jason hunter, I avoid any unnecessarily risks, and make my move deliberate and fast.  Most kills I don't even need my meds or PK since the actual "fight" is brief.  Mobbing Jason is a crude method of attempting a Jason kill, usually done by players not skilled enough to accomplish it beyond just Tommy and Sweater Girl.  I always play it safe.  I won't grab the sweater until Tommy is at least on the map.... unless I notice that a inexperanced player (usually a squeaker) is attempting to go for it and I can get to it first.

6 hours ago, Ahab said:

As a Jason player, I whole heartedly welcome an early rage mode... the battle Chads never last long and they are pretty salty or even damned rude when they get cut down so fast. I have had a great deal of practice in dealing with them. That... and on one of the maps which has "reduced sprays" on it... Crystal Lake I think it was... I counted 19 med sprays used or dropped by counselors that I killed. Perks may have been involved, I did not ask... but just how many med sprays do we really need on one map? That was truly ridiculous... and on a "reduced spray" map no less.

A cleaver trick I do with Jason I'll conceal achieving Rage from the counselor if I get it early.  Even better when done with a Destruction Jason.  Since they haven't realize you got rage yet, you can catch them off guard in moments when they lunge though windows or think they have time for a breather inside a cabin.  

Most likely they have Hypochondriac + Medic if there is that many sprays on any map.  I currently have Hypo/Swift Attacker/Nerves of Steel on my main build, and while I generally do find a extra spray, some games depending on my spawn location and my drawer luck, I may not have a additional spay.  As I mentioned before, many players looking to bully or troll Jason will likely run Thicked Skin, Medic, Hypochondriac.  Many of these player don't understand the real value of NoS, so against these Battle Chads or Trollnessas, when they scatter away looking for weapons or resource, it's easy to catch them off guard once they lose Jason's position from both their view and lack of Mini-map.  While mobs do exploit Jason's weakness dealing with multiply targets close together, mobs too big, 4-5 counselor, are not using counselors biggest strength, to push Jason into dealing with too many objectives at once.  For every moment group gets a stun, teabag/dance on Jason, is time wasted not getting a objective worked on.

The only perk you need is the one which alllows you to barricade doors 2% faster.

Jason is ab-so-lute-ly f**ked when I have that perk equipped.

#gameover  #nochance  #jasonragequitcentral

• Haha 2

Just remembered: the sleeping bag perk. I used to think that was a good way to survive, then realized how boring it was. Had a really good one though.