My friends and I have been trying out something a little different just for a change of pace and so far, it's pretty fun. We made our own version of Paranoia Mode.

Essentially this is a private match with as many unknowns as possible. We put everyone in party chat to get rid of the voice chat ID on screen and to make sure everyone can be heard at all times, including Jason. Everyone in the lobby has the same player and Jason selected (random/random works too) and when the match starts, you don't know who is playing as Jason. No one is allowed to look at the status screen (honor system). You have to be careful with what you say because Jason is in the same chat as everyone the entire time. Everyone is encouraged to play as many mind games as you can get away with. Jason might chat like he is a counselor or you might chat about an objective that you haven't even seen yet. We had a dead guy in the lobby keep chatting like he was Jason and did such a good job, everyone though he was Jason till the final status and score cards popped up. He was the first person killed and then was spectating Jason the rest of the match.

We took it one step further this past weekend and everyone played with their sound muted (honor system again). Chat was still on, but all in game music and audio cues were off. No Jason music. No failed repair pings. Very creepy and allows for tons of jump scares.

One guy in my group insisted I come here and share, so here we are. It's pretty fun and I'm always open to new ideas to make it better. Anyone is welcome to join us if you'd like to try it out. We will usually run a bit on the weekends, afternoon/evening time - eastern US. (PS4: Verontis) We are doing normal quick play most other nights.

It's not for everyone, but it's something different. Try it out and let me know what you think.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a good time, thanks for sharing that with us.

That's much better than my idea. You've accounted for knowing that "'so-and-so' always plays as Part 4, so it has to be them". My idea involved Jason showing up to a counselor at random appointing them to be the killer, but that meant Jason was basically a spectator for the round. You lose the suspense of proximity chat, but eliminate the clear knowledge of who is saying what (beyond recognizing voices). 

I like it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Verontis said:

My friends and I have been trying out something a little different just for a change of pace and so far, it's pretty fun. We made our own version of Paranoia Mode.

Essentially this is a private match with as many unknowns as possible. We put everyone in party chat to get rid of the voice chat ID on screen and to make sure everyone can be heard at all times, including Jason. Everyone in the lobby has the same player and Jason selected (random/random works too) and when the match starts, you don't know who is playing as Jason. No one is allowed to look at the status screen (honor system). You have to be careful with what you say because Jason is in the same chat as everyone the entire time. Everyone is encouraged to play as many mind games as you can get away with. Jason might chat like he is a counselor or you might chat about an objective that you haven't even seen yet. We had a dead guy in the lobby keep chatting like he was Jason and did such a good job, everyone though he was Jason till the final status and score cards popped up. He was the first person killed and then was spectating Jason the rest of the match.

We took it one step further this past weekend and everyone played with their sound muted (honor system again). Chat was still on, but all in game music and audio cues were off. No Jason music. No failed repair pings. Very creepy and allows for tons of jump scares.

One guy in my group insisted I come here and share, so here we are. It's pretty fun and I'm always open to new ideas to make it better. Anyone is welcome to join us if you'd like to try it out. We will usually run a bit on the weekends, afternoon/evening time - eastern US. (PS4: Verontis) We are doing normal quick play most other nights.

It's not for everyone, but it's something different. Try it out and let me know what you think.

That’s a great idea. I will try it tonight. 

6 hours ago, Cer1alkill3r said:

That’s a great idea. I will try it tonight. 

We played all night tonight and it was a lot of fun!!! Thank you for your idea!!!!

• Like 1

Even I like the sound of this and I'm usually against these kinds of 'honor' games because there's always cheats.

Thank you. I'm happy others are enjoying this as well. I am running a marathon lobby tomorrow night (Fri 13th) for this. I've already had several people send me messages and friend requests to join up. We might have to run 2 lobbies.

For those that have had a chance to try it out, any ideas to make it better? Always looking to expand.

25 minutes ago, Verontis said:

Thank you. I'm happy others are enjoying this as well. I am running a marathon lobby tomorrow night (Fri 13th) for this. I've already had several people send me messages and friend requests to join up. We might have to run 2 lobbies.

For those that have had a chance to try it out, any ideas to make it better? Always looking to expand.

Only use game chat. 

We tried that originally. I wanted something that would get rid of the in game name display to really push the unknown factor the entire match. The party chat also allows the dead spectators to continue to participate. I do love the proximity chat in this game and I think I would like it for this mode too if it just didn't have those names on the screen.

For me, I really like the mystery of it till that final score card comes up. Ruins a little bit of that for me if certain voices gradually disappear from the chat over time. It really pushes the paranoia for me when you know death could be around any corner. I think this one area that will just be a personal preference more than anything else.

It says the name above the characters head in the game.can that be turned off?

2 hours ago, Verontis said:

We tried that originally. I wanted something that would get rid of the in game name display to really push the unknown factor the entire match. The party chat also allows the dead spectators to continue to participate. I do love the proximity chat in this game and I think I would like it for this mode too if it just didn't have those names on the screen.

For me, I really like the mystery of it till that final score card comes up. Ruins a little bit of that for me if certain voices gradually disappear from the chat over time. It really pushes the paranoia for me when you know death could be around any corner. I think this one area that will just be a personal preference more than anything else.

I really wish they would have added a screen that told you what everyone in the round did. Then everyone would know who did what and who just hid. A total stats screen. 

That sounds fun...gonna bring this up to my friends. 

2 hours ago, Cer1alkill3r said:

It says the name above the characters head in the game.can that be turned off?

I'm pretty sure you can only see the name over their head if you are on the same "team."

On 7/11/2018 at 1:03 AM, Cer1alkill3r said:

We played all night tonight and it was a lot of fun!!! Thank you for your idea!!!!

Will you guys be playing again tonight? I’m gonna try to get on in a few hours.

There is usually some of us on. Not sure about Tashi but auto,sailor,doc and jaguar will be on. Me a little later because I work late. Just hit them up. You will like this play mode it’s a lot of fun

On 7/10/2018 at 2:50 PM, Verontis said:

Any chance you and your friends, or anybody else here for that matter, can get this invented game-mode on video and share it? It sounds like a really cool idea and would be cool to see it in action!

There are a couple of Twitch streamers in our group. I will post their channel names when I get home from work. I haven't posted anything to my YouTube channel in ages, but maybe I'll get back into that.

I don't know how well this would be represented in a video though. It would just be a group of people talking over a silent game. The tension is something that must be experienced first hand I think. We were supposed to do a big marathon event last weekend for Friday the 13th, but PSN issues kinda ruined that for everyone. I am hosting another marathon event this Saturday, July 21 starting roughly 9pm eastern time. Anyone is welcome, just send me a message and I will add you to the group.

PSN: Verontis

Edit:

My friend's channel is twitch.com/vashiel233  He is be streaming our Paranoia Mode this Saturday night.