Are you a Streamer? And yes, they need to fix blocking. 

If you’re the host it works normally. For everyone else, Jason or counselor, blocking requires you delay the block button in combat stance by like one second. 

I think Jason should be able to block without going into combat stance. 

• Like 1

@Showstopping  I know what you mean, I don't block nearly as much as I used to. I don't play Jason often, so I'm talking about counselors. Now, I go for more of a off angle short sprint to evade instead of blocking. As host it's not bad and I can block like normal, otherwise I try other things. Are you the same Showstopping I played a few weeks back? If so, glad to see you on forums. Regardless, welcome!

36 minutes ago, Manny1985 said:

Agreed. Just make it a single button on the dpad.

48 minutes ago, Manny1985 said:

This would be an awesome addition to the game, IMO! 

12 hours ago, Manny1985 said:

I concur with that, that's a solid suggestion. Just standard block button without combat stance, I don't recall that button doing anything else.

5 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

I concur with that, that's a solid suggestion. Just standard block button without combat stance, I don't recall that button doing anything else.

For whatever reason they simply assigned that button to activating abilities. R1 could’ve been easily assigned to block and buttons used for automatically activating an ability. It is a no brainer that R1 should’ve been assigned to instant block to begin with. It was possible with a glitch prior to the engine update but that’s long gone.

Part of the reason why people don't use combat stance as Jason is because the counselors are too easily able to get away since he slows down significantly no matter if you play as a running or can't run Jason. This is why the whole 'stay out of reach and then stun him when close' works so well as counselor. Unless Jason stockpiles throwing knives, then every miss leaves them open to knives that make up the distance.

1 hour ago, Tommy86 said:

For whatever reason they simply assigned that button to activating abilities. R1 could’ve been easily assigned to block and buttons used for automatically activating an ability. It is a no brainer that R1 should’ve been assigned to instant block to begin with. It was possible with a glitch prior to the engine update but that’s long gone.

Oh yeah shit I forgot, it's the ability button lol. Maybe holding LT instead? Hold LT to block, tap for the grab.

1 hour ago, tyrant666 said:

This is why the whole 'stay out of reach and then stun him when close' works so well as counselor. 

This what needs to be fixed in game, BADLY!

Counselors should not be able to do this, it gets so rage inducing while playing as Jason, I have lost friends because of anger at this.

Jason's original grab with the current animation needs to be restored.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Redcat345 said:

This what needs to be fixed in game, BADLY!

Counselors should not be able to do this, it gets so rage inducing while playing as Jason, I have lost friends because of anger at this.

Jason's original grab with the current animation needs to be restored.

No, only thing that needs to be restored is client side responsiveness of block. As host it still works as normal. A Jason who is susceptible to turn and burn is not a good Jason. After enough playtime you should not only be aware of this counselor technique, but anticipate it and even bait it out. Pressure their stamina till counselor is required to hit, watch for swing start up then block + grab or knife (during swing start up) > grab.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 3:54 PM, Manny1985 said:

Yes please!!!!

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, Manny1985 said:

I suggested this many times over the last few months.... I argued with people for days about this. People hated the idea.... I see the reception you got here is far more favorable. I am pleased to see that. This is something we need.

i love this idea. plus i would like to see a quick throw with knife while in combat stance

3 hours ago, Ahab said:

I suggested this many times over the last few months.... I argued with people for days about this. People hated the idea.... I see the reception you got here is far more favorable. I am pleased to see that. This is something we need.

I'm sure the reason why block was reserved for Combat Stance was to be consistent with the button layout of the counselors.  Personally, I don't have a problem with block restricted to CS, as long as it works properly.  Jason with the access to move at full speed, block, and grab without any transitions would be very strong, perhaps too strong.  Back before the engine update, I ran into several Jasons that abused the pseudo-stance glitch to run at full speed, instant block, then grab.  It's hard to say if there is any counter-play to it.  

By Design, blocking requires the player to commit to CS, at least split moment.  A blocked swing puts a counselor in a very compromised position, however since the Jason had to commit to a stance that restricted his movement, a cleaver counselor can flaunt CS several times to fakeout Jason and wear down his anticipation, then risk a sneaky swing somewhere or run around him taking advantage of his restricted movement and inability to grab during CS.  Overall I thought that was fair, but with blocking currently broken for non-hosts, the "turn-n'-burn" is too easy to land on a Jason attempting to block on reaction and it's currently a better option to play a spacing game and use movement to avoid swings.  Blocking still has it uses now, but can no longer be relied upon on reactions until it is fixed.

Note: It not mentioned quite as much as Jason's, but counselor's quick-block is also janked.  Before I was able to quickly block throw knives or swings, but it is now also slow get into block just as Jason.  If quickly press CS then block too quickly, you'll enter CS but the camera view will switch to backview (as if you weren't in CS) instead of blocking, which wasn't an issue before.

1 hour ago, GeneiJin said:

I'm sure the reason why block was reserved for Combat Stance was to be consistent with the button layout of the counselors.  Personally, I don't have a problem with block restricted to CS, as long as it works properly.  Jason with the access to move at full speed, block, and grab without any transitions would be very strong, perhaps too strong.  Back before the engine update, I ran into several Jasons that abused the pseudo-stance glitch to run at full speed, instant block, then grab.  It's hard to say if there is any counter-play to it.  

The only possible counterplay was dodge cancel, but that was not viable if the Jason was perfect at block grabbing (like sub 1% of the playerbase). Pseudo / running block is no longer possible since engine update (although all other pseudo actions still possible as counselor), but that doesn’t make perfect block grab any less dangerous if the Jason is host. It will beat the dodge cancel if it is executed with 100% accuracy.

As far as making the inputs consistent, the reverse view activated for counselors with R1 could’ve easily been removed and replaced with insta block just the same. It is actually disadvantageous in that a button needs to be held for it, when you can simply reverse your camera during the chase which is actually the better option since you are not required to hold anything. The reverse view is useless in that sense, and if you are accustomed to higher sensitivity settings then they are just as good for instantly rotating the view backwards. Absolute waste of a button IMO, and horrible hindsight on the part of the devs.

21 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

No, only thing that needs to be restored is client side responsiveness of block. As host it still works as normal. A Jason who is susceptible to turn and burn is not a good Jason. After enough playtime you should not only be aware of this counselor technique, but anticipate it and even bait it out. Pressure their stamina till counselor is required to hit, watch for swing start up then block + grab or knife (during swing start up) > grab.

That doesn't always work either, because then they loop you and it's always when you are out of knives and morph and shift are recharging.

Instant block with a single button tap without CS would be cool, but counselors will still do the pattern of jog run stun jog again while staying out of reach which negates block and if not that, they suicide.

9 minutes ago, Redcat345 said:

That doesn't always work either, because then they loop you and it's always when you are out of knives and morph and shift are recharging.

Instant block with a single button tap without CS would be cool, but counselors will still do the pattern of jog run stun jog again while staying out of reach which negates block and if not that, they suicide. 

Looping is easy to overcome. You have both stamina + health pressure to make use of. 2 knives will cripple non-thick skin (30 dmg each), and in case you don't have knives, even just a couple of full duration Shifts will delete mobility advantage of even the highest stam counselors. That is when you bait their attack for a counter, because counselor has no other option but to hit to regain stam. Even if they are cabin looping, if you have been breaking windows all match they still take 10 dmg off a simple climb, and 20 off a dive both of which you can additionally punish with knife which will necessitate spray. Even max thick skin can only take 1 extra knife for a cripple. Not to mention you also have Stalk and Shifting into objects for a stand still at your disposal.

1 minute ago, Tommy86 said:

Looping is easy to overcome. You have stamina + health pressure to make use of. 2 knives will cripple non-thick skin, and in case you don't have knives, even just a couple of full duration Shifts will deplete the highest stam counselors. That is when you bait their attack for a counter, because counselor has no other option but to hit to regain stam. 

I'd have to see what you are describing to understand, it's confusing to me unless I can see it.

They have a habit of doing a sudden U-turn type run to counter shift, then disappearing into a cabin.

28 minutes ago, Redcat345 said:

I'd have to see what you are describing to understand, it's confusing to me unless I can see it.

They have a habit of doing a sudden U-turn type run to counter shift, then disappearing into a cabin.

I posted this many months ago, and since that time, the speed at which I block + grab is almost 2 simultaneous actions (as host). This is slow in comparison to now and even then 99% of counselors couldn't deal with it.

This is how I bait, I drain stamina and / or health and force them to hit me to regain mobility, at which point I watch for their swing start-up and counter. If you aren't host, I recommend replacing block with throwing knife during their swing start-up and interrupting the recovery frames with grab. Once you have enough practice at it, it is truly the most OP of tactics, and not even a counselor cancelling their swing recovery with dodge can escape the grab in time.

In regards to throwing knife punishment for window looping -

This is why it is a bad idea to preemptively lock doors, it should only be done when Jason is on your back. If you know this tactic as Jason, you will purposely leave doors barricaded to herd counselors through windows for a massive 50% damage off a simple window dive. Either when they are escaping from you, or even when you aren't there they will take 20 dmg simply climbing in and out of a cabin with all broken windows. Barricaded doors are an advantage for Jason in this case.

• Like 1

@GeneiJin My original suggestion for an out of combat stance block button (if memory serves) was to block a stun yes, but not block the same amount of damage (not sure if I ever specified an amount). Before the block was slowed many of us could get into block as quickly as most people press one button anyway. I originally suggested this only as a possible counter to the piñata Jason... not to avoid demasking... but it would still make demasking harder like this anyway.
   I was always an advocate of a hit from behind being a stun as well... cheap shots work. Remember part 3... Chris Higgins knocked Jason on his ass twice, and one of these times knocked him out long enough for her to hang him. Many people use this to justify the frequency of stunning Jason without thinking. Both were cheap shots from behind, which was the only thing that made the effect of these blows believable in ANY way. Even the biggest and strongest of people fall to a cheap shot in real life. I did not include the stab in the knee for obvious reasons... it was a stab in the knee. Any kind of damage to someone's knee, well let's just say you will miss your knee when its gone. But for block to be effective without 360 degree protection, target lock needs to go.
   But no one is perfect, people make mistakes... and mistakes leave players (on either side of play) vulnerable. Just because we could get into block very quickly, did not mean every swing was blocked anyway. Never underestimate the sneakiness. 
   I never thought to specify that block was slowed for counselors as well. To me at least... block means block across the board... but good point, it probably should have been specified in the beginning.

@Tommy86 I could never execute a grab that quickly off of a block... but not for lack of trying. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. Can you please explain how this is accomplished so I can understand what I am doing wrong? Or point me out a thread in which you already explained this?
    I am pretty damned good at using a quick throw to cancel a counselor's swing, even if they have swift attacker... and then they are walking into your grab (or slash), so this was usually my preferred tactic. Unfortunately, I run out of knives like everybody else though.

13 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

I posted this many months ago, and since that time, the speed at which I block + grab is almost 2 simultaneous actions (as host). This is slow in comparison to now and even then 99% of counselors couldn't deal with it.

This is how I bait, I drain stamina and / or health and force them to hit me to regain mobility, at which point I watch for their swing start-up and counter. If you aren't host, I recommend replacing block with throwing knife during their swing start-up and interrupting the recovery frames with grab. Once you have enough practice at it, it is truly the most OP of tactics, and not even a counselor cancelling their swing recovery with dodge can escape the grab in time.

In regards to throwing knife punishment for window looping -

This is why it is a bad idea to preemptively lock doors, it should only be done when Jason is on your back. If you know this tactic as Jason, you will purposely leave doors barricaded to herd counselors through windows for a massive 50% damage off a simple window dive. Either when they are escaping from you, or even when you aren't there they will take 20 dmg simply climbing in and out of a cabin with all broken windows. Barricaded doors are an advantage for Jason in this case.

how do you do the block/grab/knife throw so fast on PC?

18 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

The only possible counterplay was dodge cancel, but that was not viable if the Jason was perfect at block grabbing (like sub 1% of the playerbase). Pseudo / running block is no longer possible since engine update (although all other pseudo actions still possible as counselor), but that doesn’t make perfect block grab any less dangerous if the Jason is host. It will beat the dodge cancel if it is executed with 100% accuracy.

As far as making the inputs consistent, the reverse view activated for counselors with R1 could’ve easily been removed and replaced with insta block just the same. It is actually disadvantageous in that a button needs to be held for it, when you can simply reverse your camera during the chase which is actually the better option since you are not required to hold anything. The reverse view is useless in that sense, and if you are accustomed to higher sensitivity settings then they are just as good for instantly rotating the view backwards. Absolute waste of a button IMO, and horrible hindsight on the part of the devs.

Ahh Dodge canceling....  Of my repository of many "tricks", Dodge canceling is my favourite.   Unfortunately it's exactly that, a trick.  Any hit done in front of Jason he can grab during the start up before you'll get to your end point of the dodge (which works as a teleport to anyone who didn't know that). These days I use it to style on Jason, as if you can land a swing at Jason's 3 and 9 o'clock position (usually off a grab wiff) then Dodge behind him, since it takes some extra time or frames to orientate himself to grab, and by that time you've already dodge into you're new position safely.  I was able to solo demask several Jasons with Jenny doing this, lol.   Of course a Jason who knows your "trick" can simply grab at your end position during your recovery, so its not exactly "safe" ether and it's a 50/50 he guesses what direction you dodge at.

@Ahab The pitfalls of combat stance is that it was clearly designed to accommodate a 1v1 scenario.  This is fine for counselors, as they will auto target Jason (in most cases -_-), but the devs should have considered a way for Jason to toggle between multiple targets.   As is, Jason has to mindful of his surroundings and targets as they swarm around him.  If the mob is impatient and striking Jason the moment they see him, of course blocking is a good choice.  However, if they are just spacing you out and waited for Jason to commit to something, then there is little purpose to CS, especially if quick-block isn't reliable.