The Milwauking Dead

What Would Be The Point Of Dedicated Servers Now?

Serious question. And I couldn’t find an open topic on this. So sorry if there is one. But at this point, wouldn’t dedicated servers be a huge step back??? Wes or Ben posted awhile back that dedicated servers would cost “1 million dollars a month” to maintain. Is Gun really going to keep paying money every month to maintain servers for a game that is “dead”??? Once they pull the plug on dedicated servers, the game truly does die. No more multiplayer. Wouldn’t the most logical thing now be keeping the servers P2P, and focusing all the money and work on polishing this game and making it the best it can be? Keep the servers P2P and give us a client side saving ability for leveling up and unlockables. That’s the best way to ensure the life of this game. Dedicated servers will be useless at this point. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Yeah, I'd much rather this game existed in a largely independent state that doesn't require behind-the-scenes upkeep and maintenance in order for it to function. That includes the ability for us to download all of our progress and not lose access to unlocked content and levels. Continued support is great, but reliance on that support seems too sketchy for longevity. 

Well, once again they had opened their mouths and stated that dedicated servers would be included on all platforms.  At this point, it is just a creditbility issue now.  If they don't do them, they will fall even deeper into the "broken promise" canyon.   I've never been a big fan of the "promise" wording.  To me it has always been a "plan", but others don't view it that way.  I wish they'd just hold off on the dedicated servers as well and focus on keeping the game "functional" (that's a very broad term when it comes to these two teams).   Dedicated servers really do not matter at this point. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, The Milwauking Dead said:

Wes or Ben posted awhile back that dedicated servers would cost “1 million dollars a month” to maintain.

Link?

3 minutes ago, DasMurich said:

Link?

I’m looking for it now. I saw it this morning on the front page because someone replied to it from an OLD thread quoting them on the million dollar claim. It appears that comment was now deleted and I can’t find it anymore. So whoever replied to it on here knows what I’m talking about. It was earlier this morning. They replied asking if it would really cost that much. I believe the original post was from 2016. 

1 minute ago, The Milwauking Dead said:

I’m looking for it now. I saw it this morning on the front page because someone replied to it from an OLD thread quoting them on the million dollar claim. It appears that comment was now deleted and I can’t find it anymore. So whoever replied to it on here knows what I’m talking about. It was earlier this morning. They replied asking if it would really cost that much. I believe the original post was from 2016. 

Hmm well this would need some explaining then.

GunMedia_Ben     2,990

GunMedia_Ben

Well, we're talking about a game that's going to have servers running for a very, very long time. It's not like they'll randomly turn off. A good, good amount of titles have servers up for 15+ years and are still going strong. We're rapidly seeing games take on a longer lifespan, so I wouldn't be too worried about that ;)

Also, we're totally looking to get single player in, as well as bots. Just need to hit that funding goal! Feel free to support us here! https://friday-the-13th-the-game.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

1 minute ago, JED said:

GunMedia_Ben     2,990

GunMedia_Ben

Well, we're talking about a game that's going to have servers running for a very, very long time. It's not like they'll randomly turn off. A good, good amount of titles have servers up for 15+ years and are still going strong. We're rapidly seeing games take on a longer lifespan, so I wouldn't be too worried about that ;)

Also, we're totally looking to get single player in, as well as bots. Just need to hit that funding goal! Feel free to support us here! https://friday-the-13th-the-game.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

I think it was actually in this thread. Somebody posted it this morning. Quoting them saying it would cost 1 million dollars a month to maintain servers. It looks like a mod deleted the new post. So the thread is no longer on the front page. And now it looks like someone deleted the quote from Gun on the cost. 

I think it was actually in this thread. Somebody posted it this morning. Quoting them saying it would cost 1 million dollars a month to maintain servers. It looks like a mod deleted the new post. So the thread is no longer on the front page. And now it looks like someone deleted the quote from Gun on the cost. 

I remember this from a while back, though I don't remember the exact amount they said. But it was enough to make you wonder how long such an expense could be maintained if the game is no longer current. 

My guess is reputation control and usage of those dedicated serverd for future products.

At this point I wouldn't do it if I were Gun. But I'm not in the industry so I don't know the particulars.

I am fine with them being primarily for others projects. 

It would make sense in that the game is all profit at this point. If running properly, the game and dlc will still bring in revenue while at the same time not being the primary cost driver for the servers.

Of course, this is just an educated guess. I do hope we get them, because the host quitting is getting really annoying.

I legitimately want to know how they plan on paying a million dollars a month for a game that is basically done? And how long they can do it for? Even if it’s not a million, it would have to be in the hundreds of thousands a month. How will that even be possible for them to maintain for 15+ years? As Ben stated above. 

• Thanks 1

I legitimately want to know how they plan on paying a million dollars a month for a game that is basically done? And how long they can do it for? Even if it’s not a million, it would have to be in the hundreds of thousands a month. How will that even be possible for them to maintain for 15+ years? As Ben stated above. 

Depending on how much they have to keep the current servers going is something i struggle with because with now not having an active incoming revenue stream i don't see how they will be able to keep the servers going long as they are now nevermind increasing that cost by doing dedicated servers. I just don't see it being long term feasible. I myself think that we will have the servers as they are now for a little while longer and then that will be it. I just don't see how they will feasibly be able to have dedicated servers let alone keep them going. Sad reality but it is the only one that makes sense

24 minutes ago, The Milwauking Dead said:

I mean, the post clearly talks about the choices they are going to make to be sure it does not cost that much. He is not saying it will cost a million dollars. He is saying it WOULD if they didn't take certain precautions into account.

2 minutes ago, Big Daddy J said:

I mean, the post clearly talks about the choices they are going to make to be sure it does not cost that much. He is not saying it will cost a million dollars. He is saying it WOULD if they didn't take certain precautions into account.

No. It’s saying if they ran 100% dedicated servers, like they promised to, it would cost a million dollars a month. This post was BEFORE release. Before they promised dedicated servers. The post is talking about running P2P to avoid the costs. And that’s what they decided to do before release. 

No. It’s saying if they ran 100% dedicated servers, like they promised to, it would cost a million dollars a month. This post was BEFORE release. Before they promised dedicated servers. The post is talking about running P2P to avoid the costs. And that’s what they decided to do before release. 

He talks at the end about how they would have dedicated and P2P running at the same time to stop the costs from getting too high. I'm willing to bet that is still the plan.

At this point I really don't expect it to happen at all. I think we'll go a couple more months before they tell us they're no longer a feasible option. My guess is current servers go offline at the end of the year early 2019 at the latest. Of course I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about this game lately so do take my opinions with a grain of salt.

2 hours ago, The Milwauking Dead said:

Found it! 

Jeez.

Wasn't doubting you by the way, just wanted to see it. I guess that kind of settles it by their own estimation. 

They'd have to sell 25,000 copies of the game per month at full price, and keep every single penny, and spend every single penny on it. They'd have to convince 25,000 video game players every single month to buy the game. Realistically they'd have to sell much more, at least twice that. 

Every single month. 

Yeah, just get the game client side with peer to peer. It's the only way the game continues. 

2 hours ago, JED said:

GunMedia_Ben     2,990

GunMedia_Ben

That million dollar a month to keep the servers online statement is just flat out bullshit, and those stogies make them look like douche bags. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

this will be locked, i had a thread of this exact same question here:

im not seein the link here but idk...

2 minutes ago, DeadlyD said:

this will be locked, i had a thread of this exact same question here:

I hope not. I’m legitimately asking what would be the most logical thing to do at this point. For the life of the game. 

Just now, The Milwauking Dead said:

I hope not. I’m legitimately asking what would be the most logical thing to do at this point. For the life of the game. 

so did I, but the mods do not care

Yep, Wes said dedicated servers would cost $1million a month.

Is there anything on the planet that costs $1million a month?

11 minutes ago, zmccain said:

Yep, Wes said dedicated servers would cost $1million a month.

Is there anything on the planet that costs $1million a month?

I don’t know. In that same thread, he claimed the dedicated servers for the Beta cost $7,500 a day to run. That’s why the Beta was only 3 days. That’s what the thread was about. Now that’s on PC only. Which would come out to $225,000 a month to run. I would suppose you’d have to triple that to include the 2 separate servers for XBOX and PS4. Are they currently paying $225,000 a month to run dedicated servers on PC???