Sign in to follow this  
ResolutionBlaze

Why Do People Like Life Is Strange?

I've never seen a more poorly produced, stereotypical, lackluster story based Telltale Games 'The Walking Dead' rip off in my life....

Seriously, idk how anyone can like this... I've played the first episode (sadly) and all I came across was bad dialogue, voice actors, animation, models, art style, music, and story.  This game looks like it was made cheaper than a Telltale Game....  It's ugly to look and listen to.

There's little gameplay.  The only unique feature is the time travel mechanic, which all it does is make you question yourself and solve puzzles.  Then it pulls a "Mass Effect" on us and gives us two options:

A ) Negate all choices and kill one person

B ) Negate all choices and kill an entire town

The character you're supposed to like, Chloe, is a dropout weed smoking do-nothing selfish and sheltered hipster brat who always gets your character into trouble and abuses her powers to commit several crimes in the game, is rebellious to her step dad for no good reason, doesn't know how to handle a gun to save her life (literally she gets herself shot way too many times in this game)...

What is redeemable here?  What is deserving of so much praise?  What does it need eight out of tens for?

I actually found it pretty crazy. You have to go past the first for sure it picks up. Is it chick flick material? Sure, but it actually get pretty crazy as it progresses. My initial thought after I played the first episode was like eh even though it was on sale this was a wash. I however forced myself to get the achievements and the game gets a little hectic.it's heavily narrative driven and as you progress you are faced with tough choices. I enjoyed the game as a whole honestly. I think the first episode is more of an introduction to the main characters more than anything.

Honestly I can only say how I grew to love this game I never played but saw let's play's of this game though and loved it!

I feel as though people relate to Max, and this is character wise with involving yourself in this universe that's been created.

Max is a shy introvert, that wants to do the right thing type of person. It's like she doesn't have a bad bone in her body, pure you would call it.

That's how I see Max and chose the heroic decisions I felt it fitted her character well. A lot of people relate with me on this, hence

the let's play videos. The gameplay and what they were/about was different for me in a psychic/phenomenon type way witch I love oh so much.

Being able to reverse time as a power in your ordinary human existing life I felt that was a plus. I just feel people have the same amount of problems

like Chloe who are now good people, pretty much good people can come out from the bad in some scenarios. Of course it's your logical opinion from

a video game stand point but I felt if you had situations like these things it would hit more to "home". Also I new about this game while Telltale was out, I saw it as

it's own game by the people who make final fantasy and all. I feel you and other people should not compare, of course you are gonna have your favorite but

a game that has similar concepts are good on their own merits. It's like saying for me, "I love episodic like video games I'm gonna make my own!" nothing wrong with

that. The graphics at first I didn't like I thought it was gonna be more polished and not have blurred textures, but I got used to them and grew to love the style.

I really don't know what to say, this video game is made to be set in the modern day world with a little phenomenon twist to it, that you would believe would never happen in real life!

Something that could be relatable to the time this game was set in or made in it appeased to people I would say. Honestly I feel people would need to put their self in peoples shoes and

actually know how they were like back in high school, cause you are playing a "teen story" lol.

(Honestly I'm a person that just loves something I want to love if I feel it in my gut. I wish people are more like this, dislike what you like is also good too.

Hopefully my comment or someone elses gets you to a certain understanding that you are seeking by the way. )  ^_^

My guess, it's the only of it's kind. It explored themes no other game really did. If games about similar subject matters were common place when came out, everyone would think it was crap. But it's unique. Sometimes that's all a work of fiction needs. I agree though. It sucks. All you need to do is watch the Adum Playze series on it to see why.

I actually found it pretty crazy. You have to go past the first for sure it picks up. Is it chick flick material? Sure, but it actually get pretty crazy as it progresses. My initial thought after I played the first episode was like eh even though it was on sale this was a wash. I however forced myself to get the achievements and the game gets a little hectic.it's heavily narrative driven and as you progress you are faced with tough choices. I enjoyed the game as a whole honestly. I think the first episode is more of an introduction to the main characters more than anything.

Riddle me this:

What makes Chloe likable?

• Like 1

Riddle me this:

What makes Chloe likable?

Chloe is sort of the character that shakes shit up and without her would this be as interesting? Maybe, but probably not. The game throughout aims to humanize her a bit and develop the story of why she feels the way she does. It is something that people could relate to. She is a little dramatic but kids sometimes are. I think it is to appeal to a younger audience most likely but it is the narrative that got me and just how stuff unfolded throughout.

Chloe is sort of the character that shakes shit up and without her would this be as interesting? Maybe, but probably not. The game throughout aims to humanize her a bit and develop the story of why she feels the way she does. It is something that people could relate to. She is a little dramatic but kids sometimes are. I think it is to appeal to a younger audience most likely but it is the narrative that got me and just how stuff unfolded throughout.

I again ask:

What makes her likable?

I can relate to a personification of angst and humanize it.  But what makes her likable?  What makes you want to root for her?

Idk maybe it's just me, but I cannot relate to Chloe at all, and I fear for anyone who does.  Which is why its high praise concerns me so much and why I'm genuinely curious to know why people think this game is worth the money.

addtext_com_MDAwNjE0MTAyNjE.jpg

• Like 2

I again ask:

What makes her likable?

I can relate to a personification of angst and humanize it. But what makes her likable? What makes you want to root for her?

Idk maybe it's just me, but I cannot relate to Chloe at all, and I fear for anyone who does. Which is why its high praise concerns me so much and why I'm genuinely curious to know why people think this game is worth the money.

addtext_com_MDAwNjE0MTAyNjE.jpg

Well I could dive in and throw spoilers all over the place but I was kind of trying to avoid that. I will however try to do it without.

First part is not so much liking Chloe she is a singular character in a game that has a wide array of characters. Chole suffers from loss and feeling like she has been untreated fairly (dramatic) but she is a flawed character and she knows she is, she will admit that in points as the game progresses. I would not say I identified with any character on a deep level but like I said it was the narrative that got me hooked. Chloe is a big character in the story so I understand your hesitation not liking her and not wanting to play the rest but the story is really about Max it's all complete fiction of course but there are life like elements that that sold me on the game opposed to identifying with any character within the story. Granted the life like elements are extremes and not typical of most people but these crazy things do happen.

I am more advocating for the game as a whole than Chloe herself. Your original post was asking why anyone likes the game. I was just expanding upon my personal view point of what I liked about it.

Well I could dive in and throw spoilers all over the place but I was kind of trying to avoid that. I will however try to do it without.

First part is not so much liking Chloe she is a singular character in a game that has a wide array of characters. Chole suffers from loss and feeling like she has been untreated fairly (dramatic) but she is a flawed character and she knows she is, she will admit that in points as the game progresses. I would not say I identified with any character on a deep level but like I said it was the narrative that got me hooked. Chloe is a big character in the story so I understand your hesitation not liking her and not wanting to play the rest but the story is really about Max it's all complete fiction of course but there are life like elements that that sold me on the game opposed to identifying with any character within the story. Granted the life like elements are extremes and not typical of most people but these crazy things do happen.

I am more advocating for the game as a whole than Chloe herself. Your original post was asking why anyone likes the game. I was just expanding upon my personal view point of what I liked about it.

You haven't answered the question. Just forget the spoilers, no one cares. Chloe is a selfish, mean spirited, borderline sociopath. Max is boring.

It's a masterpiece of gaming experience.  Why people love it, it is pretty much the same reason you hate it.  It all comes down to classic text book psychology.

Are you the type of person who thinks "that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.", or  do you believe that certain people are clearly more important then others?

In the end, "Life is Strange" is basically a "Teenage Hipster Simulator".   One simulator that I enjoyed a lot.  Can't wait for a sequel or their next big project!

It's a masterpiece of gaming experience.  Why people love it, it is pretty much the same reason you hate it.  It all comes down to classic text book psychology.

Are you the type of person who thinks "that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.", or  do you believe that certain people are clearly more important then others?

In the end, "Life is Strange" is basically a "Teenage Hipster Simulator".   One simulator that I enjoyed a lot.  Can't wait for a sequel or their next big project!

So a selfish, mean spirited, borderline sociopath's life is worth more than entire towns? Yikes.

So a selfish, mean spirited, borderline sociopath's life is worth more than entire towns? Yikes.

If that's the way your story plays out in the game then yes.  That's the beautiful thing about video games.  The stories are like art.  Some may like it, some may hate it, some might not even know what its about.  It's all in the eyes of the boulder.  What you see as selfish, mean spirited, sociopath, I see a girl who doesn't want to lose her friend, who gets upset easily and likes to be social butterfly.

;)

If there's anything else you'd like to disagree with me about then may I suggest private chat instead of commenting and selecting my comments to cry havoc on?  I was just answering the question that the OP was asking in my own words.  

It's a masterpiece of gaming experience. Why people love it, it is pretty much the same reason you hate it. It all comes down to classic text book psychology.

Are you the type of person who thinks "that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.", or do you believe that certain people are clearly more important then others?

In the end, "Life is Strange" is basically a "Teenage Hipster Simulator". One simulator that I enjoyed a lot. Can't wait for a sequel or their next big project!

I don't care who you are... nobody is above the lives of hundreds. Not even family.

The reason people tend to justify stuff like that is because of emotions... but with a clear mind, I wold surrender a family member if an entire town or city was at stake.

Not because I want to, nor because it would hurt less. But because it would be selfish of me to choose otherwise. And it would make me a mass murderer on a grand scale.

And if I were in the shoes of the one sacrificed, I wouldn't be able to live with that on me. I'd hate the one who saved me, and would probably want to die anyway.

• Like 1

I don't care who you are... nobody is above the lives of hundreds. Not even family.

The reason people tend to justify stuff like that is because of emotions... but with a clear mind, I wold surrender a family member if an entire town or city was at stake.

Not because I want to, nor because it would hurt less. But because it would be selfish of me to choose otherwise. And it would make me a mass murderer on a grand scale.

And if I were in the shoes of the one sacrificed, I wouldn't be able to live with that on me. I'd hate the one who saved me, and would probably want to die anyway.

This right here is why people loved this game.   Not everybody will make the same choice as you.   Call me a bad person, call me the devil...but if it somebody that I love more then life itself, I would sacrifice a thousand worlds just so that he lives.  

This right here is why people loved this game.   Not everybody will make the same choice as you.   Call me a bad person, call me the devil...but if it somebody that I love more then life itself, I would sacrifice a thousand worlds just so that he lives.

Even if that person were to hate you?

Spoilers:

Because it brings together many things that people like: first, ship female characters. Second, to be able to make decisions within the game (more or less), third, to be able to handle the time at our whim and to be able to go back, who has not dreamed of that? And fourth, presents a small moral dilemma at the end of the story, mixed with that strange love story. In addition, the characters have an established role. Chloe is the girl who is fucked because she lost her father and can not stand it, so she starts to self-destruct her life because she feels miserable. And Maxine is the good girl, who always wants to help everyone, the girl who can make that final decision only for love, because in the end she starts the game making that same decision, alters the natural order of things to save To Chloe, so the end is something similar, only that on a large scale.

• Like 1

Yes.  Love is a strange and powerful emotion.

But that doesn't necessarily make it right.

I can love my neighbors wife but that doesn't make it right for me to sleep with her.

I can love my best friend but forcing her to bear the burden of being partly responsible for the death of hundreds is not a burden any human could bear.

Hence why I really hated the ending of this game when I found out about it.

A ) It negates hours of gameplay and boils down to one choice that actually matters

B ) It gives you a bad choice... Kill your best friend or kill an entire town letting you and your best friend live with the burden of letting an entire town die.  Emotional scenes and endings doesn't automatically make something good.

• Like 1

Chloe was tolerable. I just felt bad for her because the universe kept trying to kill her. I enjoyed the game though, I thought the photos and time story thing was fun. The game was really just Chloe's story and Max just felt like a bystander and a stranger to me. Even though she was the playable character.

But that doesn't necessarily make it right.

From your view it doesn't make it right....from my view it's perfect choice.

A ) It negates hours of gameplay and boils down to one choice that actually matters

B ) It gives you a bad choice... Kill your best friend or kill an entire town letting you and your best friend live with the burden of letting an entire town die.  Emotional scenes and endings doesn't automatically make something good.

If you let her die then the two killers live.

I have no problem with the characters or the moral choice at the end of the game.

The only problem I had with life is strange is the same problem I have with all of the Tell Tale type games.

Its a story that's based entirely on the illusion of choice. Sure the story itself is good, and it gives you a series of choices that seem impactful... than it kind of dues ex machina's all of them.

Same with the walking dead... in the end not much changes based on the choices you make. The story is cool, and it gets you invested in the characters but at the end of the day its a visual novel. Not a game.

Same as Fallout 4.. no matter what choice you make its going to end up in the same way with little to no impact on anything. (Tho they also have a poor illusion of choice on top of it...)

At the end of the day I want more games to have the choices you make feel lasting and important. Life is strange KIND OF does this by letting you choose who dies, your friend or the town. But all previous choices are rendered pointless by it. Your not really shaping the world through your choices... your picking A or B in the home stretch.

I just wanna see a game that you can CHOOSE to rescue a town and it exists. Let it fall and its a scrapheap. Save someone important and the game changes reflecting that... let him die and the same occurs.

I can count the number of games that give you REAL choices like that on two hands... Hell Fallout 3 with all its faults was INFINITELY better than Skyrim OR Fallout 4 about this. You blow up megaton.. those characters are gone and the area is a waste land.. and a few characters notice this, You let ten penny tower fall you can see the impact. Sure they could of made it MORE impactful but that was a step in the right direction. But even these choices at the end of the day are A or B...

Over all choice in video games has moved like 2 steps forward and 3 steps back in recent years...

From your view it doesn't make it right....from my view it's perfect choice.

If you let her die then the two killers live.

Point of view has very little, if anything to do with right and wrong.

You're willing to sacrifice hundreds of innocents for one lover/friend. That doesn't make the choice right or good. It just means you have motivation. Sure sounds romantic but it just means you're a mass murderer on a larger scale than most serial killers.

• Like 1