Sign in to follow this  
FlameRiderSD

How do they do a door smashing effect

I notice in many horror movies a whole door is smashed apart by the killer charging through (very common in friday the 13th) but how did they do this effect, the doors dont have cracks when we see them, and they always massively fly apart in all directions, so Im curious how since theres no CGI 9Ut849i.gif?noredirectgiphy.gif

My first thought is that they use a fake door. Probably some type of foam that is finished and painted to look like wood.

8 minutes ago, BrokenFattHardy said:

My first thought is that they use a fake door. Probably some type of foam that is finished and painted to look like wood.

Either foam or balsa wood. I mean, they're all from prop companies and probably weigh only a couple of pounds.

15 hours ago, F134Ever86 said:

@FlameRiderSDAre you kidding? Its Hollywood. The answer is cocaine. Lots of it.

No seriously, I want to know how they actually made the effect. not about a joke on hollywood

Just now, FlameRiderSD said:

No seriously, I want to know how they actually made the effect

Probably some Kind of weaker material and a strong Actor. They may also be a stunt man in that Scene.

@FlameRiderSD

Explosives and duct tape. Those will solve most problems.

1 hour ago, FlameRiderSD said:

No seriously, I want to know how they actually made the effect. not about a joke on hollywood

Its either balsa wood or a pre cut door (like a puzzle). Heres what its not - CGI

Its

1 hour ago, Truth said:

@FlameRiderSD

Explosives and duct tape. Those will solve most problems.

not explosives since they immediately walk out the door, also we would notice the tape

3 minutes ago, FlameRiderSD said:

Its

not explosives since they immediately walk out the door, also we would notice the tape

Not like a brick of dynamite, just a small amount to pop the door at the seams. The tape would only be visible if you REALLY slowed it down (and if it was better quality video). Or they could use clear tape...

Just a guess.

22 hours ago, Truth said:

Not like a brick of dynamite, just a small amount to pop the door at the seams. The tape would only be visible if you REALLY slowed it down (and if it was better quality video). Or they could use clear tape...

Just a guess.

but wouldn't we at least see a little of the explosion itself?, also no matter how small it is, its impossible we cant see that and that they can go through at the exact same time as it falls apart

1 hour ago, FlameRiderSD said:

but wouldn't we at least see a little of the explosion itself?, also no matter how small it is, its impossible we cant see that and that they can go through at the exact same time as it falls apart

The gifs you posted do have some smoke/fog effect as he busts through. Maybe they used that to mask it?

In the time period it was probably a very thin material made to look like a door. If you look at the remainder of the door you can see it has little depth to it it almost looks flat. It's difficult to know for sure without asking someone who worked on the shot because in film making there isn't really "a way to do X,Y or Z" it's thinking about the effect, and how you sell it as real. That's how most visual effects are even done today. I have always appreciated visual effects from old film it was very interesting how they pulled off a lot of things that they did and most times it was really really elaborate. 

Sorry it may not be the answer you were looking for but it's the reality of it. 

On 7/4/2018 at 6:19 PM, JPops said:

In the time period it was probably a very thin material made to look like a door. If you look at the remainder of the door you can see it has little depth to it it almost looks flat. It's difficult to know for sure without asking someone who worked on the shot because in film making there isn't really "a way to do X,Y or Z" it's thinking about the effect, and how you sell it as real. That's how most visual effects are even done today. I have always appreciated visual effects from old film it was very interesting how they pulled off a lot of things that they did and most times it was really really elaborate. 

Sorry it may not be the answer you were looking for but it's the reality of it. 

That could be the case, wish we can get one of the guys to explain this great effect

https://www.newrulefx.com/collections/breakaway-prop-furniture/products/budget-breakaway-door

"We use balsa wood to create the collection of prop furniture, tools and other items that you see here. Because balsa wood is so light, it is far more safe than ordinary wood and many of the items here can be broken very easily. Balsa is the pros choice for creating realistic wood props that break dramatically in production and on stage."

1 hour ago, ShaunAburame said:

C'mon, we are talking Kane Hodder here...no need for fake doors.

Did he actually break a door? The Gifs are Tom Morga and Ted White. 

@FlameRiderSD  I have actually done this at work on a demolition job. I measured the thickness of the door, set my skill saw for a quarter inch less than the depth and carved away on the side I planned to burst through, being very generous with the cuts on the area to make sure I will actually get through in one shot... cutting while it was closed so it did not fall apart. I am not saying that this is how they did it in the movies, but it is how I did it. You can plainly see a piece of the door smash the corner of the wall in the part 4 door smashing and it broke in two... so that was most likely balsa wood.
  I set it up before lunch break and burst in on the other guys I worked with at the time while they ate their lunch. The door was across the room from all of them and I had a man on the other side to give me a signal for when it was safe to try it (no one was anywhere near the door). Really freaked some people out, but that was before everyone had a video camera in their pockets... so no footage from the "inside man" unfortunately. In hindsight, it would have been funnier if I was wearing a hockey mask. I almost fell on my ass, but managed to keep my footing.
  There was a bit of blood as I was wearing short sleeves at the time, but nothing that needed stiches... I probably got very lucky I did not hurt myself worse than that... beer after work made everything better... PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!... I was A LOT crazier when I was younger than I am now (still a little bit crazy though). I am also a big guy and a lot stronger than I look.