The Doctor

Bought three collector sets: should I keep them or take them back?

@JF13 Very very cool. I imagine it's a lot more aesthetically pleasing than having different boxes stacked next to one another. That's kinda what I was hoping for but snooze you lose. What other box sets you got?

i got the individual season sets of Friday The 13th the  TV series.After that,they mad one set that had all 3 seasons,but didn't feel like trading in the 3 seperate ones i had,because it took me a few months of checking Half Price Books in town to get them....lol

also,because i like cartoons and japanese animation,i picked up box sets of stuff like Turn A Gundam,Sailor Moon and Batman- The Animated Series.One of my favorites is my 2 box sets of the american Megaman cartoon.My favorite episode is still the season2 'Mega X' episode where Megaman,Rush and Megaman X take on Doctor Wily,Cutman,Gutsman Protoman,Snakeman,Vile and Spark Mandrill.Seeing Doctor Cain and Sigma in cameo appearances was a nice touch,and i like how they used Protoman as Megaman's evil brother that Megaman was always trying to turn to the good side.Fun times.

@JF13 and that distinct Ian James Corlett Goku voice, Lol. Good times, having to wake up at 5 at AM to catch those episodes on morning television.

@The Doctor, Im 99% sure that Jason goes to Hell and Jason X were never released on Blu Ray. You won't ever find them in a complete set with the first 8 films unless a new marketing deal is worked out since 1 through 8 are owned by Paramount. I believe the set you got (which I also bought) was rushed to market to get infront of the current lawsuit.

@AdmiralJT More than likely, although I'm well aware of the inflated prices for any previous ones. I'm already pretty resolved that I won't have a one-and-done box set but at least I have other options. Obviously it will never be something like this: https://www.ebay.com/i/223009523458?chn=ps

Some double features come up if you google it, so it looks like it was released on blu ray, but most retailers seem to be out of stock. Even then, those copies may not be worth it but it just depends on what kind of bonus features come with it. Certainly not as cheap as the set you and I have for obvious reasons. I'm not terribly worried about the box art etc. so long as the video/audio quality is up to snuff. I know some people are serious collectors and don't mind getting re-issue box sets but I'm just trying to fill out what's missing from my shelf. Not too keen on going the eBay route but @TheHansonGoons did mention a pretty good alternative, albeit not exactly what I was hoping for.

But yeah, there's a good chance I'll be waiting for some time to track down what I'm looking for without having to pay through the nose.

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

@AdmiralJT More than likely, although I'm well aware of the inflated prices for any previous ones. I'm already pretty resolved that I won't have a one-and-done box set but at least I have other options. Obviously it will never be something like this: https://www.ebay.com/i/223009523458?chn=ps

Some double features come up if you google it, so it looks like it was released on blu ray, but most retailers seem to be out of stock. Even then, those copies may not be worth it but it just depends on what kind of bonus features come with it. Certainly not as cheap as the set you and I have for obvious reasons. I'm not terribly worried about the box art etc. so long as the video/audio quality is up to snuff. I know some people are serious collectors and don't mind getting re-issue box sets but I'm just trying to fill out what's missing from my shelf. Not too keen on going the eBay route but @TheHansonGoons did mention a pretty good alternative, albeit not exactly what I was hoping for.

But yeah, there's a good chance I'll be waiting for some time to track down what I'm looking for without having to pay through the nose.

I'm not really a collector of the physical media, I buy Blu rays so that I can rip them and have the movies and TV shows on my Plex server in the highest quality possible. The box art and the extra features aren't really what I go for. I don't like buying movies digitally unless it comes available as a download that is DRM free. I don't like the terms of service with the various online distributors that states I'm only buying the rights to watch the movie and I don't actually own it.

2 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

I don't like buying movies digitally unless it comes available as a download that is DRM free. I don't like the terms of service with the various online distributors that states I'm only buying the rights to watch the movie and I don't actually own it.

Hear, hear. It's why I don't make it my business to seek out Vudu or other services. Thanks for reminding me about Plex, I've been meaning to get to that but I just CBA lately, although I've only heard good things from people that use it.

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Hear, hear. It's why I don't make it my business to seek out Vudu or other services. Thanks for reminding me about Plex, I've been meaning to get to that but I just CBA lately, although I've only heard good things from people that use it.

I've got about 700 movies, 5000 songs and 100 TV shows on my server at home. It's time consing to copy all the discs if you have a large library, but it is very nice to have your own personal Netflix that you can share with family and friends anywhere in the world.  

On 6/30/2018 at 12:27 AM, The Doctor said:

So I recently purchased these three box sets because they were on discount at my local Wal-Mart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Halloween-The-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/36930708

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nightmare-On-Elm-Street-Collection-8-Pack-DVD/13909460

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRIDAY-THE-13TH-T/238143793

In total it was ~ $80 for all three. I'm a bit conflicted on these though for a few reasons. The Halloween box set doesn't include the producer's cut for Part VI, the ANOES one isn't blu-ray but it does include FvJ, and the F13 one only goes up to 8, but it's blu-ray and I have IX and X already. Any reason I should or shouldn't return any of these?

I was deliberating on taking back ANOES and getting the blu-ray version without FvJ and just getting that blu-ray separately, even though I got a steal on it.

The Halloween one is fairly obvious but after a little bit of googling, the "deluxe complete edition" is in the range of hundreds of dollars.

The F13 one, I'm not sure if there's something missing from it.

I haven't been buying a lot of movies in the past several years and now getting some of my older copies up to speed or replaced. Mostly because I got too comfortable with streaming services and my DVR but I'd like to stuff my library shelf proper. 

What do you guys think?

I gotta ask, why the hate of FvJ?

12 hours ago, AdmiralJT said:

@The Doctor, Im 99% sure that Jason goes to Hell and Jason X were never released on Blu Ray. You won't ever find them in a complete set with the first 8 films unless a new marketing deal is worked out since 1 through 8 are owned by Paramount. I believe the set you got (which I also bought) was rushed to market to get infront of the current lawsuit.

Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X were released on Bluray.I have the first Bluray box set they did that has Friday 1-8,Hell,X,VS and remake.It's out there,you just have to look.

6 minutes ago, JF13 said:

Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X were released on Bluray.I have the first Bluray box set they did that has Friday 1-8,Hell,X,VS and remake.It's out there,you just have to look.

Were they released in 1080p in that set? I remember there being a set sold when the remake came out, but it seems like I remember the first 8 were in HD and the last 2 were just the SD DVD versions.

from what is says on the back of the tin,the movies themselves are in HD,but the special features,like the documentaries,are not.It's a 9 disc set,has a 40 page preview of the Crystal Lake Memories book,a Camp Crystal Lake Counselor patch,and 2 pairs of 3D galesses,for watching Part 3 in 3D.

5 hours ago, Evil said:

I gotta ask, why the hate of FvJ?

Is that directed at me? If so, what gave you that impression?

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Is that directed at me? If so, what gave you that impression?

Misunderstanding, all I had to do was read a little further down. * saw you mentioning getting the set without fvj*

1 minute ago, Evil said:

Misunderstanding, all I had to do was read a little further down. * saw you mentioning getting the set without fvj*

Yeah. The ANOES version I had included FvJ, but wasn't blu-ray, so the new one  I got is blu-ray but no FvJ, but I plan on picking that one up at some point. And I think FvJ was a great entry, if you ask me.

7 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

Theres a bluray with F13 ANOES remakes and FVJ

I couldn't readily find it, but I'm going to assume it had all of the bonus features? I'm not too dismayed with this one because all things considered, it's just missing one movie.

Just now, F134Ever86 said:

@The Doctor I think it only had the films but I'm not sure.

Yeah, I re-read what you said. I did mention it earlier in this thread. It's this: "Then I'd just round it out with this https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRIDAY-THE-13TH-NIGHTMARE-ON-ELM-STREET-FREDDY-VS-JASON-BLU-RAY-Blu-ray/39577066" And yeah, it doesn't come with bonus features.

looking at my Friday The 13th tin again,here's the particulars....

Name: Friday The 13th- The Complete Collection

The only 3 movies in it that are in 1080p are Friday The 13th Part 3,Freddy VS Jason and the remake.The rest are all Dolby True HD.

it's a 10 disc set,some discs have 2 movies on them.Disc 10 is the Killer Bonus DVD from Paramount's old F13- From Crystal Lake to Manhattan box set,it has older interviews,deleted scenes and movie trailers from Fridays 1-8,which is nice.

Discs 1-9 are Blurays as follows....

Disc 1 Friday The 13th (1980,uncut version,YAY!)

Disc 2 Friday The 13th Part 2

Disc 3 Friday The 13th Part 3(Comes with 2 pairs of 3D glassed,can be watched in 2D or 3D,which is a nice option)

Disc 4 Friday The 13th- The Final Chapter

Disc 5 Friday The 13th Parts 5 and 6

Disc 6 Friday The 13th Parts 7 and 8

Disc 7 Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X (Hell is only the R rated version,sadly)

Disc 8 Freddy VS Jason

Disc 9 Friday The 13th remake (Both original version and extended cut which is good)

to get the Unrated version of Jason Goes to Hell,i got a slimpack DVD set called New Line Jason Slasher Collection.It has both versions of Hell,plus it has Jason X and Freddy VS Jason,i mainly got it for the Unrated version of Hell,plus the set has a nice outer box.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JF13 said:

to get the Unrated version of Jason Goes to Hell,i got a slimpack DVD set called New Line Jason Slasher Collection.It has both versions of Hell,plus it has Jason X and Freddy VS Jason,i mainly got it for the Unrated version of Hell,plus the set has a nice outer box.

Informative. Thanks, man. I appreciate your detailing that all out.

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Informative. Thanks, man. I appreciate your detailing that all out.

you're welcome!

Thought I'd throw a quick update here. I got some new additions to my library and I want to say that the Triple Feature F13(2009)/ANOES(2010)/FvJ blu-ray was entirely worth it. It came with three separate discs and include all bonus features, so it's an awesome steal for the price. I wasn't going to buy any of them individual so this is a great addition. 

Halloween 6 Unrated Producer's Cut was pretty much what was expected, you're just getting the film that didn't come with the currently available box set. The HD download is a plus, but it is what it is.

I ended up picking up Killer Klowns From Outerspace and Child's Play for relatively cheap because they came with some exclusive coloring books, but they're nothing really to write home about. They literally are the exact same  copies as their regular versions (but online ordering was a bit cheaper), so I wouldn't call them collectible, but with a little something extra, why not? Better than the brick-and-mortar alternative at any rate. What did suck was that what appeared from the pictures was going to have separate box art, but in person what you get is some cardboard cut-out glued on top of the jewel case that could probably be removed with some possible tearing. Again, not a big deal because I don't consider a 7 bucks purchase a "collectors item". They're far from bad, I'm happy with my purchase, but all in all, they're very so-so. If you're going to get Child's Play for the bonus features, get the 2 disc collector's edition, not this. Granted it costs more but you certainly get what you pay for.

I do really recommend the Triple Feature though. I was really afraid that the discs wouldn't contain the bonuses, but they certainly do. The only thing that's confusing is the discs' menus but everything is there. It's especially worth it if you really can't be bothered to purchase the two remakes individually. FvJ comes with tons of bonus features too, all great to have. Great purchase for the money.