The Doctor

Bought three collector sets: should I keep them or take them back?

So I recently purchased these three box sets because they were on discount at my local Wal-Mart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Halloween-The-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/36930708

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nightmare-On-Elm-Street-Collection-8-Pack-DVD/13909460

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRIDAY-THE-13TH-T/238143793

In total it was ~ $80 for all three. I'm a bit conflicted on these though for a few reasons. The Halloween box set doesn't include the producer's cut for Part VI, the ANOES one isn't blu-ray but it does include FvJ, and the F13 one only goes up to 8, but it's blu-ray and I have IX and X already. Any reason I should or shouldn't return any of these?

I was deliberating on taking back ANOES and getting the blu-ray version without FvJ and just getting that blu-ray separately, even though I got a steal on it.

The Halloween one is fairly obvious but after a little bit of googling, the "deluxe complete edition" is in the range of hundreds of dollars.

The F13 one, I'm not sure if there's something missing from it.

I haven't been buying a lot of movies in the past several years and now getting some of my older copies up to speed or replaced. Mostly because I got too comfortable with streaming services and my DVR but I'd like to stuff my library shelf proper. 

What do you guys think?

12 hours ago, The Doctor said:

So I recently purchased these three box sets because they were on discount at my local Wal-Mart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Halloween-The-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/36930708

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nightmare-On-Elm-Street-Collection-8-Pack-DVD/13909460

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRIDAY-THE-13TH-T/238143793

In total it was ~ $80 for all three. I'm a bit conflicted on these though for a few reasons. The Halloween box set doesn't include the producer's cut for Part VI, the ANOES one isn't blu-ray but it does include FvJ, and the F13 one only goes up to 8, but it's blu-ray and I have IX and X already. Any reason I should or shouldn't return any of these?

I was deliberating on taking back ANOES and getting the blu-ray version without FvJ and just getting that blu-ray separately, even though I got a steal on it.

The Halloween one is fairly obvious but after a little bit of googling, the "deluxe complete edition" is in the range of hundreds of dollars.

The F13 one, I'm not sure if there's something missing from it.

I haven't been buying a lot of movies in the past several years and now getting some of my older copies up to speed or replaced. Mostly because I got too comfortable with streaming services and my DVR but I'd like to stuff my library shelf proper. 

What do you guys think?

I am a collector of sorts so I would probably keep the ANOES on, I used to have it, with the cool box layout, it got stolen years ago, and the only Friday one I found at the time only had the paramount ones which just felt incomplete for a box set.

11 minutes ago, jameson87 said:

I am a collector of sorts so I would probably keep the ANOES on, I used to have it, with the cool box layout, it got stolen years ago, and the only Friday one I found at the time only had the paramount ones which just felt incomplete for a box set.

That's the one I got ahold of was the Paramount films. I'd need to get IX and X on blu-ray but I have them already on DVD but eh, it is what it is.

5 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

I would get rid of the dvd.

What I was deliberating on was returning the ANOES and getting the blu-ray version box set of it instead (doesn't include FvJ) but it's the more expensive/higher quality one that comes with the bonus features. Then I'd just round it out with this https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRIDAY-THE-13TH-NIGHTMARE-ON-ELM-STREET-FREDDY-VS-JASON-BLU-RAY-Blu-ray/39577066 and I guess buy Halloween VI producer's cut separately on blu-ray and call it a day.

I don't see why everyone is hating on dvd. I personally have a few films on blu ray and dvd and the difference isn't really enough to justify the higher price tag in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, jameson87 said:

I don't see why everyone is hating on dvd. I personally have a few films on blu ray and dvd and the difference isn't really enough to justify the higher price tag in my opinion.

While I agree with you that the box art is extremely cool and the price tag was very selling, it just is lacking in some other areas. Who knows, I may just keep it and get a second set anyway. I usually don't really care too much about the video quality but I'd like to sort of keep everything in order.

Sucks that you got yours stolen, though. I know that feeling all too well. You can never be too cautious with roommates. :unsure:

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

While I agree with you that the box art is extremely cool and the price tag was very selling, it just is lacking in some other areas. Who knows, I may just keep it and get a second set anyway. I usually don't really care too much about the video quality but I'd like to sort of keep everything in order.

Sucks that you got yours stolen, though. I know that feeling all too well. You can never be too cautious with roommates. :unsure:

Yeah they really can be more of a problem than anything else.

How do you feel about digitally owning films? Typically on Friday the 13th they have sales on collections of the movies online. I have all of them digitally. Then own the 1-8 on Blu Ray. 

Personally, I want all of my movies on Blu Ray now. I am sure each will earn a 4k restoration soon, but for now, I try to get all of my flicks on Blu-ray. 

For the ANOES, i would take it back and get the blu ray. I picked that collection up off Amazon cheap. 

In my opinion FvJ, and JGTH and JX arent worth having any special editions. Honestly not even owning at all really, though I do have them digitally. 

Though I am a huge fan of extras and such, how often do you sit and watch them is something you have to ask yourself? If not often, no reason not to love that Halloween collection. After all, are extras of Curse of Michael Myers or Resurrection worth wasting any time on?  All of the collections you have seem to be about having the films and not extras. May as well have them in a format that will be around for a while and enjoy the improved sound and picture.

@TheHansonGoons I'm not opposed to it, but I also like having physical copies regardless. Occasionally I do watch those extras, namely the commentaries. They're nice to have and if they only cost a little extra, I say why not? I did take the ANOES set back after sleeping on it and will probably look on Amazon for the rest instead of scouring brick-and-mortar stores. Those three (FvJ, JGTH and JX) I don't have on blu-ray so I don't think I'll waste time getting those separately if I can help it or find them also cheap. I would like the remakes on one disc which I linked above, and as far as I can tell those don't contain bonus features but at least they are blu-ray quality so I can live with that. Other than that, all I'm interested in is the different version of H6. I'm happy with the other two box sets and can't take them back now lol. 

If I could get a digital and physical copy I'd obvious go that option, but I'm not dead set on going through Vudu or the like. And yeah, getting 4K would be even better but for now I'm not really stressing on it. Not even really an issue when you don't have a 4K compatible TV so, yeah.

Wish Umbrella Entertainment would throw me a bone here with some discounts. Argh.

13 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

@TheHansonGoons I'm not opposed to it, but I also like having physical copies regardless. Occasionally I do watch those extras, namely the commentaries. They're nice to have and if they only cost a little extra, I say why not? I did take the ANOES set back after sleeping on it and will probably look on Amazon for the rest instead of scouring brick-and-mortar stores. Those three (FvJ, JGTH and JX) I don't have on blu-ray so I don't think I'll waste time getting those separately if I can help it or find them also cheap. I would like the remakes on one disc which I linked above, and as far as I can tell those don't contain bonus features but at least they are blu-ray quality so I can live with that. Other than that, all I'm interested in is the different version of H6. I'm happy with the other two box sets and can't take them back now lol. 

If I could get a digital and physical copy I'd obvious go that option, but I'm not dead set on going through Vudu or the like. And yeah, getting 4K would be even better but for now I'm not really stressing on it. Not even really an issue when you don't have a 4K compatible TV so, yeah.

Wish Umbrella Entertainment would throw me a bone here with some discounts. Argh.

‘Halloween II’ and ‘Halloween III’ Steelbooks Coming from Scream Factory With New 4K Scans! : http://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3507823/halloween-ii-halloween-iii-steelbooks-coming-scream-factory-new-4k-scans/

Just read that article if affects your purchases at all.

I watch those features for films like Dawn of the Deas, Suspiria and such. Maybe the first Halloween or few Fridays. The ANOES extras are fun though.

Do you play on Xbox? If so thats how i got my FvJ, JGTH and JX. Like havijg them but dont feel they are collection worthy films.

9 minutes ago, TheHansonGoons said:

‘Halloween II’ and ‘Halloween III’ Steelbooks Coming from Scream Factory With New 4K Scans! : http://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3507823/halloween-ii-halloween-iii-steelbooks-coming-scream-factory-new-4k-scans/

I watch those features for films like Dawn of the Deas, Suspiria and such. Maybe the first Halloween or few Fridays. The ANOES extras are fun though.

Do you play on Xbox? If so thats how i got my FvJ, JGTH and JX. Like havijg them but dont feel they are collection worthy films.

It does and doesn't because those limited edition ones never come cheap, naturally. It would be nice to have but I'm not too impatient about wider distribution. 

Unfortunately no, PS4 here. I could probably find them on Vudu but I don't really want to waste my time with that. I do like the bookends, though. I'll keep that link bookmarked but I was already sitting on this for the time being.

The Halloween one you speak of may have been the 10 disc one,that one is the bare bones set.The version of the box set that has the Producer's Cut of Halloween 6 is the deluxe 15 disc set.That's the one i have.i also have the Nightmare box set you have,it doesn't have Freddy VS Jason or the remake of Nightmare 1,but i like it because it has the Ready for Freddy music video with Robert Englund and the Fat Boys,which is priceless,plus it has episodes 2 and 3 of the Freddy's Nightmares TV series,which was nice to see again.The Friday The 13th bluray set i have is the first one,it's in a metal tin,and has Fridays 1-8 by Paramount,plus Jason Goes to Hell,Jason X,Freddy vs Jason and the Friday remake by New Line.I'm not sure if that set was a limited run or not,but it's awesome.

@JF13 That deluxe set is the one ranging between like 200-400 bucks, right?  That ANOES one I returned only had the DVDs + FvJ, it didn't mention any extras like that on the back cover.

Also @TheHansonGoons yeah apparently PSN offers that 3 pack as well for 30 bucks. Could be worse, but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

54 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

@JF13 That deluxe set is the one ranging between like 200-400 bucks, right?  That ANOES one I returned only had the DVDs + FvJ, it didn't mention any extras like that on the back cover.

Also @TheHansonGoons yeah apparently PSN offers that 3 pack as well for 30 bucks. Could be worse, but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Wait until Frisay the 13th and it may be 13 bucks or something. Love that Re-Animator collection. I have been thinking about picking up Arrow's 4k restoration of it.

1 hour ago, TheHansonGoons said:

Wait until Frisay the 13th and it may be 13 bucks or something. Love that Re-Animator collection. I have been thinking about picking up Arrow's 4k restoration of it.

Did you get it from Umbrella or some other retailer? 

2 hours ago, TheHansonGoons said:

Yeah the extras on ANOES movies are fun. I love Robert Englund, such a humble and funny guy. Met him at a dragoncon a couple of years back very cool guy.

10 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Did you get it from Umbrella or some other retailer? 

That Umbrella one looks awesome, but I was going to go with the company Arrow. Its just the first one.

https://smile.amazon.com/Re-Animator-Special-Blu-ray-Jeffrey-Combs/dp/B076W77XYQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530581479&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=re-animator+blu+ray+arrow+video&dpPl=1&dpID=6192TKtaljL&ref=plSrch

Hopefully that link works

4 minutes ago, TheHansonGoons said:

Oh, I think I gotcha. Yeah, I'm not quite sure if there's much of a difference between the two editions except maybe the quality or menus? That Umbrella one isn't the trilogy, per se. The first movie is sold separately where Bride and Beyond are packaged together, so you're looking at 100 bucks for all three. Guess I need to look at a few more reviews because your link is obviously the cheaper of the two.

On 7/2/2018 at 6:16 PM, The Doctor said:

um,no,not unless the price of it skyrocketed when i wasn't looking.I got the Halloween deluxe 15 disc set when it first came out,so it was only about $89 when i got it at the local Best Buy.Since i've had it all this time,i haven't heard if it was out of print already or anything.Also,they did recently at some point do an individual release of Halloween 6- Producer's Cut,i saw that locally within the last year or so here in Wisconsin,so it shouldn't be that hard to find.

also,i am looking at the back of the box for my Nightmare Bluray box set,and it says right on the back....Disc 3 has movies 4 and 5,plus 2 music videos Fat Boys- Are you ready for Freddy? and Whodini- Any way I gotta swing it,plus Disc 5,which has bonus features,also says 2 episodes from the Freddy's Nightmares TV series- It's a Miserable Life and Killer Instinct.

All that is on the back of the box,and i read it in the store,that's why i bought it.

5 minutes ago, JF13 said:

um,no,not unless the price of it skyrocketed when i wasn't looking.I got the Halloween deluxe 15 disc set when it first came out,so it was only about $89 when i got it at the local Best Buy.Since i've had it all this time,i haven't heard if it was out of print already or anything.Also,they did recently at some point do an individual release of Halloween 6- Producer's Cut,i saw that locally within the last year or so here in Wisconsin,so it shouldn't be that hard to find.

Can't say I'm all too sure which version you're talking about then. There's too many I myself get confused. Not asking you to hunt down a link or whatever but apparently some of these 'deluxe' ones are out of print and that's why the price is steep.

2 minutes ago, JF13 said:

also,i am looking at the back of the box for my Nightmare Bluray box set,and it says right on the back....Disc 3 has movies 4 and 5,plus 2 music videos Fat Boys- Are you ready for Freddy? and Whodini- Any way I gotta swing it,plus Disc 5,which has bonus features,also says 2 episodes from the Freddy's Nightmares TV series- It's a Miserable Life and Killer Instinct.

All that is on the back of the box,and i read it in the store,that's why i bought it.

Yeah, I think I've got the same one. The other box just contained the DVDs and no features. I think I got that part covered.

11 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Can't say I'm all too sure which version you're talking about then. There's too many I myself get confused. Not asking you to hunt down a link or whatever but apparently some of these 'deluxe' ones are out of print and that's why the price is steep.

Yeah, I think I've got the same one. The other box just contained the DVDs and no features. I think I got that part covered.

wow...i didn't know the Halloween deluxe bluray set was out of print already.I hate when that happens.people shouldn't have to pay hundreds of dollars just to see the versions of the movies they really want to see.I wish the industry had a better way of doing things.

3 minutes ago, JF13 said:

wow...i didn't know the Halloween deluxe bluray set was out of print already.I hate when that happens.people shouldn't have to pay hundreds of dollars just to see the versions of the movies they really want to see.I wish the industry had a better way of doing things.

I imagine it's the same reason why you can't get F13 1-10 anymore either because of Paramount and New Line butting heads.

i consider my self blessed that i got the Friday the 13th Bluray tin,which has Friday 1-8,Hell,X,FVSJ and remake.I had a feeling it might be a limited time thing,my late father and my ex pitched in and bought it for me for my birthday the year it came out.I'm glad i said something about it back then,but that is an issue when you have a series that changes owners at different times.For a long time,that's why Child's Play 1 wasn't in the box sets with the other movies,the first one was done by MGM,the later movies were done by Universal,but then a few years ago,they finally made some Chucky box sets with all of them together,so it proves sometimes good things can happen.