The Doctor

Creighton Duke Spinoff?

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/277185/creighton-duke-jason-goes-to-hell-spin-off-in-the-works/

http://comicbook.com/horror/2018/06/27/friday-the-13th-spinoff-jason-goes-to-hell/

So I didn't see a topic about this but I saw that NthnButAGoodTime mentioned this in a status, so here's two more links that weren't shared. I don't really see anything of major substance here. Even the article writers mention the lawsuit so who knows what any of this could possible mean. Likely that it won't even be F13 related other than actor and director? Thoughts?

(Sorry if I missed this already being discussed somewhere else)

While I liked Creighton, the kills, and how Jason looked I am not particularly interested in much of anything from Marcus. He butchered the lore with his retcon reimagining. Will still watch it probably if it comes to light just because of the Creighton Duke roll.

A prequel where we see Jason kill his girlfriend maybe? What if it tied all the films together? Duke figures out that Jason possessed Roy Burns as his first attempt at body swapping. After the fact, he tracks the murder spree of Jason from afar, collecting evidence and data, watching Jason as he attempts to perfect his new power.

20 minutes ago, deathbat96777 said:

A prequel where we see Jason kill his girlfriend maybe? What if it tied all the films together? Duke figures out that Jason possessed Roy Burns as his first attempt at body swapping. After the fact, he tracks the murder spree of Jason from afar, collecting evidence and data, watching Jason as he attempts to perfect his new power.

A prequel where he's 25 years older?

If you read the article, he says "Creighton Duke-inspired." Since this dude wouldn't have the authority to use the character, the actor is older and the character is dead, F13 is in a lawsuit that probably won't end for years, and there's no mention of any F13 producers or executives, this sounds like he's simply making a movie with this dude and creating a character that is going to be pretty much the same guy, but has nothing to do with F13. He might try to throw in Easter Eggs that try to tie it in, but nothing more than innuendo, since that's all he can legally get away with. Probably more likely he's going to rip off EVIL DEAD in tone/style/story. 

Of course, we'll see if this guy can actually sell the script and/or get funding. If you look at his IMDB, it's not like he's had a stellar career, and I doubt he has the clout to guarantee funding for anything. And I doubt Steven Williams has enough star power to guarantee financing, either (in fact, there's no way he does on his own).

On 6/29/2018 at 8:38 PM, Smitty_Voorhees said:

A prequel where he's 25 years older?

Assuming I read that correctly, according to Adam Marcus in this article:

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/friday-the-13th-spinoff-could-follow-creighton-duke-as-he-hunts-down-jason?__source=Blastr_Vayner_syfy_Facebook&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fridaythirteenth&utm_term=organic&utm_content=link_ad

the character didn't die in JGTH. The spinoff would take place after said movie:

“Creighton Duke didn’t die! There’s the answer,” said Marcus. “…The way I shot it was to give you this kind of moment of, like, ‘Oh, no!’ — but honestly…he exhales, but you don’t really see the light go out of his eyes…And to that end, my new production company, Skeleton Crew, is basically doing something to resurrect Creighton Duke as a standalone character.”

like how would they even do that, no rights, can't use the character it was based off of.

And frankly i thought the character was pretty one not and boring.

23 minutes ago, makred78 said:

Assuming I read that correctly, according to Adam Marcus in this article:

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/friday-the-13th-spinoff-could-follow-creighton-duke-as-he-hunts-down-jason?__source=Blastr_Vayner_syfy_Facebook&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fridaythirteenth&utm_term=organic&utm_content=link_ad

the character didn't die in JGTH. The spinoff would take place after said movie:

“Creighton Duke didn’t die! There’s the answer,” said Marcus. “…The way I shot it was to give you this kind of moment of, like, ‘Oh, no!’ — but honestly…he exhales, but you don’t really see the light go out of his eyes…And to that end, my new production company, Skeleton Crew, is basically doing something to resurrect Creighton Duke as a standalone character.”

Nice find. What a stretch, but if they get the rights... Which I just somehow doubt they would give him. Especially Paramount.

EDIT TO ADD: Of course, the simple way around rights issues is to just make a movie called "THE DUKE" or whatever, never use his full name, and have him on a totally separate adventure/mission (again, like Ash from THE EVIL DEAD). 

But I'm really curious who is going to finance this guy's movies. Maybe he knows a lot of people with too much money who are prone to squirrely investments. 

The only way I could see it working was if it was an origin story with a younger actor playing the character, and that's not possible with the copyright issues because you'd have to have  Jason in it somehow (yes, I know that's not what the article said, don't bring that up again). I refuse to believe that he survived getting bear hugged like that. It's Jason we're talking about. If Jason can exert enough force to punch a heart out, punch off a head, etc, then I have no doubt he broke the Duke's back. If he survived, then he's paralyzed from the neck down riding around in a Stephen Hawking wheelchair talking with a computer about little girls sticking hot dogs through donuts