Now that we're starting to somewhat process the grief of no new content at all ever again until the end of time, I think it's time we sit down and discuss the trouble with Jason...

I hate to side with the "Jason is a Joke" crowd, but it's getting harder to argue with them. Level 150 Jasons should not be getting trounced like n00bs. Players shouldn't feel safe enough to run up and smack Jason and then gleefully dance over his unconscious body. Jason shouldn't feel like a target. And again, I hate to agree with this sentiment, but this really has become less of a game of survival and more of a game of Whack-A-Voorhees. Players are knowingly exploiting Jason's slow and clunky mechanics, and the overall result makes playing Jason about as fun as watching your aunt get a colonoscopy.

Here are 5 easy ways that I think we could make Jason scary again...

1.) The New Grab - I love it, but it could be sped up a tad, and the cone (rectangle?) definitely needs to be widened. It's way too easy to run past Jason in a narrow hall, and in a crowd of three or four, he should be able to grab at least one of them.

2.) The Window Force-Field - This one needs no explanation...I'm courteous by nature, but Jason isn't, and he shouldn't have to politely wait for someone to get through a window before breaking it. Remove this and do away with the button prompts, please. We're begging you.

3.) Combat - I think both of Jason's swings could be slightly faster and blocking needs to be fixed because I'm pretty sure it's broken.

4.) Too Many Melee Weapons Per Map - "Oops, broke my weapon when I hit you for the third time after repeatedly dodging your slow and awkward grab! That's okay, I'll just run to the next cabin, where there are at least 3 baseball bats with 'Jason's Ass' written all over them!"

5.) Jason Shouldn't Get Stunned By Melee Weapons While in Rage Mode - This is perhaps the most important one, I think. When Jason is in Rage Mode, he is more powerful, but what does that really mean for you, the player? Well, it means you get to instantly smash through doors and walls, and get stunned by whoever's waiting to swing at you on the other side, with absolutely no way to block them. Jason should be even more fearful when in Rage Mode, it should make the player feel even more intimidating (not that Jason is very intimidating anymore) and Jason should therefore be harder to stun, but instead, Rage Mode has become just another mechanic for counselors to exploit. Firecrackers, rifles, bear traps and flare guns should still stun him, yes, but I firmly believe that melee weapons should be useless against him unless you've activated Pamela's sweater.

That's all I've got, feel free to add any ideas of your own, or tell me how wrong mine are...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@Brevator There are a few active threads on this right now. But, I will say a few things about your ideas.
   I don't think Jason as a whole is a joke... in my opinion, the piñata Jason is a problem. There are many ideas in the other threads about this... and still some deniers as well.
   The New Grab: I actually don't mind the new grab that much... it took a bit of getting used to and you have to aim a bit better, but its not that bad and I like the new animation with "the stinger". The grab should not necessarily be 100% successful and I feel the same way about melee weapons as well. As a counselor (I play the slow ones) I still have a bit of a hard time avoiding the new grab against seasoned Jason players. My only concern about making the cone (or rectangle) wider is that it may make it nearly unescapable with its current range... and I like its current range.
   The Window Thingy: I agree... but I don't mind the prompt to smash... as long as it does not effect anything else. I am not against getting rid of it. Counselors should not get any invulnerability going through a window.
   Combat: I agree 100%... the entire combat system needs work.
   Too Many Weapons: I do not participate in the Jason bullying, but sometimes I still have a hard time finding a weapon. Although I have seen 3 bats in one cabin, they had been dropped there by another player for some nefarious purpose. I have yet to see a bat with "Jason's Ass" written on it, but I think I saw one that had "The Friendly Persuader" carved into it.
   No Stun for Jason in Rage Mode: Firecrackers, shotgun, flare gun, and beartraps... I agree these should remain as they are. Maybe lessen the chance to stun him with a melee weapon in rage mode? I also agree that after smashing through a door (or wall) he should be invulnerable for a few seconds at least. I still maintain the double tap is the big problem with the continual stunning though. Jason needs a defense against this. A few second of invulnerability is not the answer to this one... smart counselors will just stay out of range until the invulnerability is finished. I have also maintained that a hit from behind should still stun him, perhaps with an even higher chance to stun.... cheap shots work... but stunning him from the front or sides should not be so easy.

• Like 2

Again, I'm not going so far as to say "Jason is a Joke", because it's still possible to clear a lobby of experienced players almost every time, but it seems that, to a lot of players, he IS a joke, or at least he's treated like one. And it's not due to player inexperience but because there are well-known flaws with Jason's mechanics and they delight in exploiting the ever loving hell out of them. Certainly this is not how the game was intended to be played, is it?

I don't want his grab range TOO wide like it was with a certain patch last year, because that was insane, but I've ran clear past Jasons in spots where he should have grabbed me and likewise I've grabbed right through people who as far as I could tell were made of air. It needs a small tweak.

The 3 bats was a bit of an exaggeration, but I've encountered many a camp of counselors who seemingly had a limitless supply of baseball bats at their disposal. That or Crystal Lake has a baseball bat factory nearby. It's anyone's guess, really.

I'll concede cheap shot stuns for Rage Mode Jason, but I don't think they should have a higher chance of stunning him.

Anything else that could make Jason fearsome again?

I completely agree with every point you made here.

I've seen a few threads talking about how the game is perfectly balanced, and from a more straightforward standpoint, it is. Every counselor has what they need to defend themselves against Jason, preventing people from dying straightaway. Yeah. However, looking at the movies, that wasn't really the case. The only people we saw single-handedly fend off Jason in the movies through the ways the in-game counselors currently do, were the movie's final girls, and that's for plot purposes. I think the Jason bullying that can happen is entirely absurd, especially because you can do it as a lone counselor. I do personally think, though, that in groups, counselors should have an equal stance, and depending on their numbers, an advantage. In the movies, that would have been more than likely enough to stop Jason. 

But truly, the ability to bully Jason as a single counselor for the sake of making it "more fair" for counselors is ludicrous. They could easily tone down on the weapon spawns and still make them common enough to almost always be safe for at least 60 seconds alone as a counselor. I mean, after all, it's still incredibly possible to enter a house with no weapon even with how often they spawn, and have Jason morph right next to you in the beginning of the round. Game over.

Good work on these points here.

I prefer to run from Jason, he's Jason you run from him. Sometimes I warn them that if they tunnel me I'll punish them but I don't really like the combat system, as a counselor. I lay out a path and give myself every advantage, it's all about buying time. I even try not to use the free stun when he's in rage and walks through something, I do it but only when I have to ie suicide cabins, or relentless pursuit when I need stamina.

As Jason it's more fun, you just hack away at groups, toss knives, and use your powers to control were the fight goes. Jason will win eventually if you choose to fight him, that can be frustrating but knowing that if they make a mistake the counselors are dead is a great comfort to me. It doesn't matter if you lose a fight your Jason, you'll be back.

7 hours ago, al1ve said:

I completely agree with every point you made here.

I've seen a few threads talking about how the game is perfectly balanced, and from a more straightforward standpoint, it is. Every counselor has what they need to defend themselves against Jason, preventing people from dying straightaway.

That's just it, it's a little too balanced.

2 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

meat shielding

So we finally have a term for that. lol..  Would like to know if the devs even know it was removed, and could atleast give a good reason why they did if was intentional?

9 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

So we finally have a term for that. lol..  Would like to know if the devs even know it was removed, and could atleast give a good reason why they did if was intentional?

Yeah , I think it was the best and I don´t want to write every time 10 word for that….

But it had to be an accident. It doesn´t even make sense that the weapons go through the counselor. By that Logic , the weapon should go through Jason as well.

15 minutes ago, Brevator said:

Meat-shielding sounds awesome, was that a thing at some point @The Wolf with that Toast?

You could grab a counselor and when somebody wanted to hit you to free that counselor you could quickly turn and they would take the hit and you could kill that bastard. When Team killing was a Thing , they could have even killed them. And also they had to get behind Jason which would have cost even more time (most likely enough to get a kill anyways. It was really awesome. And I think it will come back. If the next patch Drops we should tell the devs loudly. It got removed with the May update and doesn´t even make sense , so I think (and many others) that it must have been a mistake.

Jason should have been given perks, just like the counselors, with dozens to choose from, like escape counselor placed traps quicker. Or faster movement while shifting. Or start match with 2 extra traps. Etc...

2 minutes ago, ShaunAburame said:

Jason should have been given perks, just like the counselors, with dozens to choose from, like escape counselor placed traps quicker. Or faster movement while shifting. Or start match with 2 extra traps. Etc...

Not ragging on you idea, I would be fine with your suggestions but Jason has strengths and weaknesses for exactly that reason. In fact one of your suggestions is a strength. The next game will need a better way to keep it unpredictable but still balanced. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

What About.....meat shielding counselors?

And no lock-on in Combat stance?

Yes, we need meat shield, and Combat lock on removed for Jason. Does this count as content, though?

8 minutes ago, Dead Meme said:

Yes, we need meat shield, and Combat lock on removed for Jason. Does this count as content, though?

No , it was there before , probably now is a glitch and the second is just removing something.

5 hours ago, kepps-66 said:

@ShiftySamurai bring back "meat shielding", it sounds like it totally belongs in a horror game!

It does, and personally they should just revert the grab back. Just like the window. They broke these things by trying to fix something that was fine. The only people crying for the new grab was the people who want to hunt Jason down as opposed to surviving or escaping. Shifted the balance way too much.

Nah, I love the new grab, it's fine as it is, just widen the range a smidge.

1 hour ago, Brevator said:

Nah, I love the new grab, it's fine as it is, just widen the range a smidge.

The grab is horrible, after landing it you can't even shield with the grabbed counselor anymore. The animation looks nice, but is just one more thing the nerfed Jason and buffed counselors.

• Like 1

i agree with everything. only thing i would add is that jason shouldnt be stunned by firecrackers!! that is a joke!! i think the firecrackers should be more of a sound distraction like the radios are. ive hit jason with every melee weapon and there have been a few occasions where they didnt stun jason at all(excluding shotgun and flare gun) so i dont understand how a firecracker can stun him???

• Like 1

My only complaint with Jason and when he's being teamed up on (only had this happen twice so far in about 40 goes as Jason) is how slow his kill commands will load in before another counselor whacks you, freeing the one that you've grabbed. I'm not talking about any specific kill, just any. I've had a few times where I've got the grab on someone for a second or two before I get hit and no prompt ever showed. If you can't get in those kills when you can, it's very hard to take on a whole group just dedicated to beating on Jason...which isn't fun at all.

Other than that, I enjoy playing as Jason as much as a counselor. I like that cat and mouse aspect.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:56 AM, sfosterjr said:

i agree with everything. only thing i would add is that jason shouldnt be stunned by firecrackers!! that is a joke!! i think the firecrackers should be more of a sound distraction like the radios are. ive hit jason with every melee weapon and there have been a few occasions where they didnt stun jason at all(excluding shotgun and flare gun) so i dont understand how a firecracker can stun him??? 

I think it blinds him…..yeah...it got changed because it was Pretty useless before.

Jason is in serious need of a 'stun rate' buff to help counter counselor groups that only want to use him as a punching bag for 20 minutes.

Make Jason be able to combat stance doors without stepping back (part 2 can't damage doors well) bring back meat shielding, and make Jason immune to constant stuns/mob stunning.

On 6/29/2018 at 6:32 AM, al1ve said:

Yeah. However, looking at the movies, that wasn't really the case. The only people we saw single-handedly fend off Jason in the movies through the ways the in-game counselors currently do, were the movie's final girls, and that's for plot purposes

i highly disagree here. i made a million posts and even threads about this already but people love to ignore what actually happened in pt1-5 (i think to 5, if not then to 4) 

which is that jason was stealth and killed people who split up, from behind by ambushing them. he utilized stealth throughout the entire movies, hiding in the shadows and waiting for the perfect moment to strike

this games jason plays and is encouraged to play the exact opposite way he did in the movies. so seeing him ganged up on and murdered like this, atleast part 2-4 and maybe 5, is as accurate as you can be to the movies. even infact not even that accurate considering how much punishment pt2 and 3 take to actually die.

infact i personally would really wish that instead of buffing jason for combat, they just change the gameplay in general to be more like the movies, and encourage counselors to split up while giving jason good stealth powers. such as infinite stalk mode being a good start, and the ability to kill people fast, such as an instant kill from behind or instant wound from behind, or grabbing someone from behind removes the 7 seconds time where he slowly pulls his arm up which is the number one cause why jasons have no chance when surrounded by groups, people have plenty of time to even just slowly jog towards jason while hes pulling a counselor up and then free that counselor from his grab. its a joke.

• Thanks 2