Jump to content
cinda

Worst Friday Film in Series?

Recommended Posts

For me, I have to say it's JGTH.  I mean, the body jumping.  The snakish thing coming out of his mouth and going into the next body?  All the weird stuff.  I get it, they wanted to try new things.  Hell, I even liked some things.  At least, when the real Jason was in the movie.  And what was up with that huge Voorhees house?   Guess Jason moved up from his little shack in the woods!

I enjoyed every other movie much more.   Jason X, although it's Jason in space(A little ridiculous) still was fun to watch.  At least you get the actual Jason throughout the movie   And I didn't have too much of a problem with the remake   Could have been better.  Could have been A LOT worse   

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first heard about JGTH, I thought it was going to be some awesome sci-fi movie where he's in the fiery depths of Hell killing everything. But it was far from. Pretty disappointing. The whole mouth to mouth thing was just strange and hilarious.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the entire series and can't just "pick" a worst film... however...

Worst movie of the franchise (editing, writing, direction) - A tie between Manhattan and Part V. Say what you will about JGTH but it is much better put together movie than ANB / JTM.

In the end every entry is memorable and fun to watch for me. Though I have to be in a certain mood to properly enjoy Jason X and JTM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Survival said:

I love the entire series and can't just "pick" a worst film... however...

Worst movie of the franchise (editing, writing, direction) - A tie between Manhattan and Part V. Say what you will about JGTH but it is much better put together movie than ANB / JTM.

In the end every entry is memorable and fun to watch for me. Though I have to be in a certain mood to properly enjoy Jason X and JTM.

I guess I have to disagree here. Jason Goes to Hell was made by a bunch of kids just out of college and it shows. In terms of quality, it's only slightly above Jason X- it's poorly filmed, paced, edited, written, directed, everything. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

I guess I have to disagree here. Jason Goes to Hell was made by a bunch of kids just out of college and it shows. In terms of quality, it's only slightly above Jason X- it's poorly filmed, paced, edited, written, directed, everything. :)

I guess we will have to disagree there... :D

Though I still find the editing in Parts IV & V to be the worst of the series imho. Part IV is great, but the editing is horrendous. The movies were made on a very tight schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although there are certainly a lot of worthy contenders for the title of "most hated," for me, I really think the reboot deserves the honor alone. Not because of the bad writing or changes to the Jason's abilities and mythos, but more so for the overall shallowness that everyone seems to exude. They're either immensely cruel to one another or just plain shallow. Not to say the other installments are without their deplorable characters, but at least it was more believable that in those films their friendships and relationships were more believable.  There were numerous occasions where I found myself asking, "why are these people even friends?" 

And then there were the actual kills, I will never forget the first (and last) time I showed my girlfriend this film. She couldn't make it through the opening segment because of how horrific the kills were. Having been a major fan of horror films for a long while now, I never really thought anything of it when I first saw the flick, but I started to see her point after her reaction to the film. Unlike other kills in the series, the reboot seemed to put a larger emphasis on the suffering of Jason's victims. Whether it was watching a girl being burnt alive or a screwdriver go through their head, the director makes sure you hear (and see) almost everything. It was almost like they wanted you to enjoy their pain.

Personally, I don't watch Ft13th (or any slasher) for shlock like that. To me, these films are all about enjoying the hilarity of every silly mistake the counselors make, or the suspense of wondering how Jason is going to take each one of them out. It's about the thrill of the chase!

The reboot was only about the thrill of pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jack said:

Although there are certainly a lot of worthy contenders for the title of "most hated," for me, I really think the reboot deserves the honor alone. Not because of the bad writing or changes to the Jason's abilities and mythos, but more so for the overall shallowness that everyone seems to exude. They're either immensely cruel to one another or just plain shallow. Not to say the other installments are without their deplorable characters, but at least it was more believable that in those films their friendships and relationships were more believable.  There were numerous occasions where I found myself asking, "why are these people even friends?" 

I'm gonna have to debate you here. Shallow characters. Our lead, Sam Winchester has more motive then most leads in these films. His sister has motive as well. And the rest of the partygoers are no more shallow then in any other installment. I don't get how Shelly and Andy's friendship was any more real then Chewy and Lawrence. This smacks of  personal bias. 

As to why anybody was pals with Chad Kensington Trent, the answer is money. 

17 minutes ago, Jack said:

And then there were the actual kills, I will never forget the first (and last) time I showed my girlfriend this film. She couldn't make it through the opening segment because of how horrific the kills were. Having been a major fan of horror films for a long while now, I never really thought anything of it when I first saw the flick, but I started to see her point after her reaction to the film. Unlike other kills in the series, the reboot seemed to put a larger emphasis on the suffering of Jason's victims. Whether it was watching a girl being burnt alive or a screwdriver go through their head, the director makes sure you hear (and see) almost everything. It was almost like they wanted you to enjoy their pain.

 

What you're telling us is that the reboot did something most in the series fails to do. It made your girlfriend empathize, get in the shoes of the characters. "That could be me. Oh shit, that's messed up." is much better then "Wow, by killing those six extras in a vanilla axe slash, they made the killcount higher then the last one." The fact is that Friday the 13th is full of people suffering. Chris, the lone survivor from 3 had a mental breakdown. Tommy did as well, though by the completion of his character arc, he had overcome his demons. The fact is that in F13 people die in terror and pain. 

Also while some may enjoy seeing people in pain, maybe the director wanted people to realize that being murdered by a psycho wasn't a picnic. 

22 minutes ago, Jack said:

Personally, I don't watch Ft13th (or any slasher) for shlock like that. To me, these films are all about enjoying the hilarity of every silly mistake the counselors make, or the suspense of wondering how Jason is going to take each one of them out. It's about the thrill of the chase!

The reboot was only about the thrill of pain.

Eh. This sounds like morality policing to me. "I don't enjoy slasher flicks for it's lowbrow violence and sex, I enjoy it for it's higher pursuits such as how these idiots put themselves in position to die." You're enjoying the same schlock as the rest of us plebs. 

All in all you are entitled to your opinion, but I have to say your commentary sounds pretty ridiculous.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love all the Jason movies. However, I am against Jason X simply because it has the possibility to restrict Jason from being in a more current time. I guess the easier way to say it is: Jason X fucked the timeline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iFruit 9iX said:

I love all the Jason movies. However, I am against Jason X simply because it has the possibility to restrict Jason from being in a more current time. I guess the easier way to say it is: Jason X fucked the timeline.

Check out a comic page from a possible Jason X future. Remember how the mask landed in a lake on Earth 2 at the end of the movie? What if the nanotech remade Jason!? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Or.... PLANET JASON?!?!?!?!

Sorry. I'll let that die now.

How do you kill that which is already dead?

Also, the planet Jason idea would work better as an Alien multiplayer game in my opinion. Or zombies, but zombies are everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

How do you kill that which is already dead?

Unplug it from the outlet?

Now i'm thinking of that happening to Uber Jason.

54 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

Also, the planet Jason idea would work better as an Alien multiplayer game in my opinion. Or zombies, but zombies are everywhere.

I'd prefer something of an alien/xenomorph game like that. With animals and such that also roam the world. When the animal is then face fuc- *ahem* hugged by a facehugger the alien that bursts from it will have characteristics of the animal in question. And when people are inflicted we will see the standard xenomorph we've all grown to know and love. I mean imagine a crocodile mixed with a xenomorph.. oh wait.

maxresdefault.jpg

They already did that for a batman/alien crossover for a comic book

Yes you read that right. Batman Vs Aliens.

And that Alien came from Killer Croc. Why does this comic sound so stupid but so awesome?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rewatching them all to build up towards the game, it'll be interesting to see if my opinion wavers at all. Okay, maybe only interesting to me :P but we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaaand...done. Having seen them so often now, I think these would be my final placements in terms of personal enjoyment.

1. Part VI: Jason Lives
2. Part II
3. Part III
4. Part VII: The New Blood
5. Jason X
6. Part IV: The Final Chapter
7. Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
8. Part I
9. Jason Goes To Hell
10. Part V: A New Beginning

6 and 2 are my clear favourites. 3, 7 and X have big flaws but remain entertaining. 4 and 8 have bigger flaws though are still watchable and 1 is actually one of the better films proper, but I really do miss Jason. JGTH and V are the only ones that irritate and bore me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DamonD7 said:

*stuff*

Not a bad list, Damon. I'm surprised the Final Chapter was so low, but I think your construction is solid on the whole.

Though you did skip the reboot, heathen. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heh! Like FvJ, it always feels like maybe I shouldn't include it with the rest. I dunno my feelings about that. The film itself I think is okay, just okay. Mears does a good job.

Final Chapter has some great bits but I always come away a bit disappointed. Less than the sum of its parts, guess I'd say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DamonD7 said:

Heh! Like FvJ, it always feels like maybe I shouldn't include it with the rest. I dunno my feelings about that. The film itself I think is okay, just okay. Mears does a good job.

Final Chapter has some great bits but I always come away a bit disappointed. Less than the sum of its parts, guess I'd say.

FvJ was a dumpster fire on wheels in my humble opinion. I really liked the reboot. It's ending was a bit meh, but on the whole it worked. 

And same for Final Chapter. The tone was sick. Loved it. But the ending was shitastic. It's the opposite of 3. 3 kinda meanders along until the end, but the climax chase/Jason demise is platinum grade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed about III, that whole last 15 minutes or so elevate it hugely. Chris really rises to the occasion and the film does a good job playing off the Chekov's Guns of the fuel being siphoned, rickety bridge and hay bale rope.

And I just love that simple shot of Jason coming in through the shattered window to confront Chris as the leaves blow around behind. Really iconic to me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, DamonD7 said:

Agreed about III, that whole last 15 minutes or so elevate it hugely. Chris really rises to the occasion and the film does a good job playing off the Chekov's Guns of the fuel being siphoned, rickety bridge and hay bale rope.

And I just love that simple shot of Jason coming in through the shattered window to confront Chris as the leaves blow around behind. Really iconic to me.

Hooray, I have some likes again! Liked this for mention of Chekov's Gun, which I never even thought about in the structure of Part III. 

I think if we combined Part 2's Act I and II with Part 3's Act III, we would have the perfect Friday film. I loved Ginny's sweater action and pissing herself under the bed, but her "showdown" goes far too long with her running across the same creek a million times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ban_All_Music said:

I think if we combined Part 2's Act I and II with Part 3's Act III, we would have the perfect Friday film. 

Agreed. 

Also: I think this is why I like the reboot. It felt like they were trying to do this. The execution of the climax (pardon the pun) is a bit lacking, but it did a pretty decent job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

Agreed. 

Also: I think this is why I like the reboot. It felt like they were trying to do this. The execution of the climax (pardon the pun) is a bit lacking, but it did a pretty decent job.

We need Rick instead of Paul though. After he tried to pressure Chris into sex throughout 3 after she was assaulted by Jason(though we don't know what happened there and in his defense, he didn't know but he is still a jerk for bashing her friends), it feels excellent to see his skull crush with the eyeball pop. 

As far as the remake...if you are going to have a mostly unlikable cast, don't tease us with the kills! They need to also be stupendous!

Edit- I have the perfect solution for the Rick problem. Keep both couples, Paul's death can remain a mystery while Rick's is clear. Have Ginny replace Ali with the sneak attack, insert sweater scene, Jason stabs her leg and turns around to take an axe to the head by Chris. Two final girls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ban_All_Music said:

We need Rick instead of Paul though. After he tried to pressure Chris into sex throughout 3 after she was assaulted by Jason(though we don't know what happened there and in his defense, he didn't know but he is still a jerk for bashing her friends), it feels excellent to see his skull crush with the eyeball pop. 

As far as the remake...if you are going to have a mostly unlikable cast, don't tease us with the kills! They need to also be stupendous!

Edit- I have the perfect solution for the Rick problem. Keep both couples, Paul's death can remain a mystery while Rick's is clear. Have Ginny replace Ali with the sneak attack, insert sweater scene, Jason stabs her leg and turns around to take an axe to the head by Chris. Two final girls. 

I dunno that Rick deserved a headcrush per'se.. Maybe a few stern words would have sufficed. 

I liked the kills well enough. Most were nothing spectacular, but it worked.  The only real issue was how Jason went down. 

Wait, wha, huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

I dunno that Rick deserved a headcrush per'se.. Maybe a few stern words would have sufficed. 

I liked the kills well enough. Most were nothing spectacular, but it worked.  The only real issue was how Jason went down. 

Wait, wha, huh?

The one kill from the remake that never happened is crystal clear in my mind...the Asian fella walks by the bug zapper...gets killed not by Jason shoving his head into it, but in a completely mediocre way. That movie was a tease. Although the black fella's death was pretty good with the bear trap in the back and everyone wondering if they should help or not. (have to refer to them by their ethnicities to differentiate them because I do not remember any of their names at all)

Of course you would defend Rick. Even after she tells him what happens and they go back to the house, he makes yet another snide comment about not liking her friends. I get that Shelley got a window smashed in his VW, but Rick didn't like them before that. He had one thing on his mind and that old perv needed to back off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ban_All_Music said:

The one kill from the remake that never happened is crystal clear in my mind...the Asian fella walks by the bug zapper...gets killed not by Jason shoving his head into it, but in a completely mediocre way. That movie was a tease. Although the black fella's death was pretty good with the bear trap in the back and everyone wondering if they should help or not. (have to refer to them by their ethnicities to differentiate them because I do not remember any of their names at all)

Of course you would defend Rick. Even after she tells him what happens and they go back to the house, he makes yet another snide comment about not liking her friends. I get that Shelley got a window smashed in his VW, but Rick didn't like them before that. He had one thing on his mind and that old perv needed to back off.

Asian guy was Chewy. Black guy is Lawrence. Douchebag is Chad Kensington Trent.

Chris had some asshole friends. Also if somebody fucked up my car heads would have rolled. Rick was chill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...