wes

Collectible Photos We Wanted To Add

Obviously, we can’t put these in the game as they are considered “New Content”. Either way, I wanted to share. Not to rub salt in the wound, but to show some of the art that we wanted to add in. 

We had been working on content for the “collectibles” that can be found in game. Some are familiar with the Pamela and Tommy Tapes within Friday the 13th: The Game. We were going to add photos to that system. In these photos (found around in drawers, etc.) the subjects were going to focus on a young Pamela and young Jason. I wasn’t sure about doing this at first. Not about adding to the collectibles, more about the subject and theme of the photos. I was afraid that by showing these that we would be humanizing Jason too much. But the more I discussed this idea and the further into concepts we got with Rachael, the illustrator we were working with, the more I wanted to do it. 

The idea here was to shed some light on the life of Pamela and Jason before the events of the first film. Back when Pamela worked at the diner and was then asked by the Christy family to come work at the camp. I was also interested in digging a little deeper into what life was like for a younger, more innocent Jason. Again, this is a delicate subject. So I used as much care as I could. We came up with a series of photos, and below are two of my favorites. The first shows a younger Pamela.

F13PamDiner2.jpg

Jason would have only been an infant at this point. Pamela seems happy working at the diner. Perhaps for the first time in her life, that is, if you follow or accept some of the semi-canon out there about the abusive relationship Pamela was in previously. I thought this was important to show her in a stable state. It solidified her as a provider and good mother to Jason. I felt it also showed that her demeanor was pleasant and that folks in town probably liked her. Which brought more power to the character when she lost Jason and with him, her mind. It showed how far she fell when she snapped. All out of love for her son.  

The second photo is of a young Jason, perhaps around age 4-5.

F13_Photos_Halloween54_2.jpg

He is excited because it’s Halloween. I had the artist put him in a Frankenstein costume, as a slight nod to Part 6 and Tom McLoughlin, as his approach to that film was very much a “monster movie” from the golden days of cinema. And of course, J6 was reanimated by lightning, much like Frankenstein’s monster. I also had the artist add a cute little nod to “Forest Green” on the shirt. I also researched along with Rachael, the types of costumes that would have been available at the time. I think she did a great job nailing the look. 

Lastly, and maybe the most important aspect of this image, was that Halloween was probably Jason’s favorite time of the year. Jason was...mentally simple. Intellectually disabled, but still full of life. A life that was full of ridicule from other kids. He probably never felt like he fit in. But on Halloween, he got to pretend. Even with a disability, he understood that dressing up, putting on a mask, and hiding what he looked like, was empowering. On that night, he just got to be another kid, getting free candy. I thought about that a lot. Perhaps, and this is a stretch, he reached for a mask later in life as a way to cope with the loss of his mother. Perhaps it reminded him of a different time. Maybe that’s too deep, LOL. Either way, it was very interesting to me and I bet some fans out there may find it interesting too. 

-W

• Like 11
  • Thanks 14

Thanks for sharing, Wes.

It is indeed quite interesting. There's not much about Pamela and Jason pre-Friday the 13th so it's cool to see what could have been :)

Cool pictures, i think these would've gave a closer look into the Voorhees famliy life before the events of the firs film, thanks for sharing this fellow moustached brother.

Just got a question. Did you ever consider or make any collectible photos of Elias Voorhees?

• Like 1

Thats what drew me to Jason in the first place @wes. How he is corrupted innocence. To me thats what sets him apart from the other killers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Gloved One said:

@wes is that Michael Myers figurine in jasons candy bag ?

Looks like Uber Jason to me...

Nice little teaser there.

• Like 2

I like the color being used here. Sign of the times. Also reminds me how old I am, as there are pics of me as a kid that have a similar vintage look. 

1 minute ago, The Gloved One said:

@wes is that a Michael Myers figurine in jasons candy bag ?

Zooming in, it looks like the edge of a Baby Ruth wrapper, with a different, darker bar wrapper in front of it.

Cool stuff, Wes. Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

Pretty cool stuff, thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing, I don't know what to say, I'm touched by the thought put into the art. 

Thanks for sharing... hope to see more in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wes said:

First post

These are wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing. If you have any more, I'd love to see them, and to read the thought that went into their design as well.

BTW, your interpretation of young Jason is perfect. It just sounds so right.

1 hour ago, Super Ty said:

Pretty cool stuff, thanks for sharing.

Yeah would have been nice.  Sadly that ship has sailed.

Cool, will this and any of the other artwork related to the "unfinished"/planned content make it into the artbook? Also any idea when we might see said artbook now that content creation for the game has (unfortunately) come to an end?

8 minutes ago, i-cold said:

Jason+Voorhees,+1953..png

Dude you might be a psycho but that is a cool photo, can I ask where it's from?

@wes Interesting photos, thanks for sharing. It makes me think a 1950's style based multiplayer where players can control either a young Pamela or Counselors would be interesting. Perhaps for another time period once everything related to the lawsuit settles down. 

On 6/27/2018 at 2:08 PM, wes said:

Obviously, we can’t put these in the game as they are considered “New Content”. Either way, I wanted to share. Not to rub salt in the wound, but to show some of the art that we wanted to add in. 

Wes, I and every other actual fan know the love and hours put in to this game by you (your teams as well). We watched as you turned your fandom dreams into a very authentic F13 experience... and it is fun! I really do hope you pick this back up and continue your vision. Whether that becomes  possible next week or a year from now. YOU made Friday relevant to new generations! I'm sure you've read the threads on "what devs should pick it up" and continue your teams legacy. There is no other team. Sure, you're not the biggest AAA in the biz, but vision, heart and being a true fan made this what it is. (I'd take a constant work in progress from an underdog with an actual emotional attachment to their work over an overly polished game focused on revenue without any vested emotional attachment ANY DAY). I have been trying to spread the optimism  throughout the threads, as I'm sure the knee-jerk criticism was very hurtful to a team like yours... you already got thrust into limbo by no action of your own (other than getting too excited about future content and wanting to share that, we've all done it.) The last thing you need is your own fan base attacking you. 

In summation: I hope you don't give up, (although I can't blame you for not expressing even a 1% chance you wont. It would be twisted into another "promise". But you are the most relevent thing to happen to Friday since the 90s. That work, that dream will live on, if law permits however, eventually this could be your full vision. 

If the current suit makes it toi far out to feasibly continue. Than let's crowdfund another but ONLY your team can do it right. 

Sorry, the art is amazing thank you for sharing @wes ?

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:17 PM, The Gloved One said:

@wes is that a Michael Myers figurine in jasons candy bag ?

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:18 PM, Freddie Mercury said:

Looks like Uber Jason to me...

Nice little teaser there.

You two should go to the doctor if you see Michael Myers or Uber-Jason in there , lol.

And of Course , great work wes.

@Truth, here you go. You wanted to know what was interesting, I think this was a very good move on the part of the pubs. It certainly put a smile on my face, the tears were just something in my eye. ?