SirBenley

Clarification on the future of this game

From my understanding, the copyright law that affects this case stated that there needs to be at least a 2 year notification that rights are terminated or taken away. It seems that you guys would have had knowledge of this way before you announced this lawsuit not too long ago. Why weren’t we given any information on this way prior? And why can’t you make any new content if the lawsuit will only affect the 1st F13 of the franchise?

3 hours ago, SirBenley said:

From my understanding, the copyright law that affects this case stated that there needs to be at least a 2 year notification that rights are terminated or taken away. It seems that you guys would have had knowledge of this way before you announced this lawsuit not too long ago. Why weren’t we given any information on this way prior? And why can’t you make any new content if the lawsuit will only affect the 1st F13 of the franchise?

I cannot answer your question as to why, however from past exp I can tell you that they had no legal obligation to tell us earlier.  I do not know why they chose not to.  I have my opinions but I am being careful about spreading those opinions around, as anything I say at this stage regarding this or subjects close to the heart of this, may be considered "inflammatory" or otherwise, not that I would care if it was, (because just because you disagree with an opinion doesn't make it flame bait or "inflammatory".) it would just be pointless for me to waste my time typing it out, if it would just get the topic locked or get my post deleted entirely.  

I understand your point of view and it is a fair point, however I feel if they would of told us about this lawsuit from the beginning, it may have been bad for business. I’m just curious to know why they continued to develop this game knowing this day would inevitably come. I feel this contradicts their standard of transparency and feel betrayed in a sense. To me, it’s like they baited millions of people into investing their time and money into the game, with the player’s continual motivation being progress and future content, but now that’s completely halted and now we’re all stuck with a stagnant game with nothing new in the future to show for it. 

8 hours ago, F134Ever86 said:

What you see is what you get. Clear enough?

Read my most recent post. This should explain things further. Your response is not “clear enough.” How do you think the millions of people feel knowing now that GUN was aware of this lawsuit all along, still sold the game to millions of people, knowing that their operation would be halted eventually? Personally, it leaves me with doubt and distrust. 

Oh sorry i was responding to the thread title @SirBenley I think its because Victor Miller would own the rights to Friday the 13th and would ask for more money than GUN media would want to pay.

5 hours ago, RadikalGamer said:

I cannot answer your question as to why, however from past exp I can tell you that they had no legal obligation to tell us earlier.  I do not know why they chose not to.  I have my opinions but I am being careful about spreading those opinions around, as anything I say at this stage regarding this or subjects close to the heart of this, may be considered "inflammatory" or otherwise, not that I would care if it was, (because just because you disagree with an opinion doesn't make it flame bait or "inflammatory".)

And just because you think we remove content because we 'disagree' with it doesn't make it so. Posting flame bait and aggressive opinions makes it flame bait or an aggressive opinion...

10 hours ago, F134Ever86 said:

Oh sorry i was responding to the thread title @SirBenley I think its because Victor Miller would own the rights to Friday the 13th and would ask for more money than GUN media would want to pay.

No worries. As I said before, it was from my understanding that Victor would only receive the rights to the first movie. I don’t know how that would effect the progression of the game when the updates would be for movies that were made after. 

I’m just looking for some clarity due to all the rumors floating around out there. This whole deal just doesn’t make sense to me. I don’t know how this effects GUN. 

Anyone else in this forum have any additional answers for my questions? Feel free to chime in,  I’d love to hear your thoughts.

40 minutes ago, SirBenley said:

Anyone else in this forum have any additional answers for my questions? Feel free to chime in,  I’d love to hear your thoughts.

It comes down to the interpretation of derivative works. Everything after part one is derivative of part one. This logic is bad logic but it's how the court sees it. New content is seen as derivative of the original, even if it's completely unrelated to the original, because it is all under the same banner or name. 

Unrelated to my first answer, why the pubs would keep it a secret, money. There's no grand conspiracy, they just wanted to make money, so they put it off until the last minute. Personally without knowing more I can't judge them to hard, I wouldn't have purposely sabotaged my own sales either. The decisions they've made regarding communication about the lawsuit make sense in that context. Their other decisions about communication, seem to not be well thought out or discussed at any length. I'm a bit more judgmental about that, if I can see how it can be improved, it boggles my mind that they can't. The game is in stasis, converting the fans into a resource for their next game or launch should be a priority. Maybe in a few weeks, they'll try, it might be to late by then. This is all just my opinion though. 

2 minutes ago, SirBenley said:

Thank you Slasher. ?

Your welcome

You can quote people or tag them by using the @ symbol followed by their name to give them a notification that you want them to see your post. Welcome to the forums by the way.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2018 at 10:46 PM, SirBenley said:

There's a thread around here somewhere that explains the lawsuit pretty well. 

There was a notification and the developers didn't think they would be hampered by the suit but it turns out they were mistaken.

Just search "lawsuit" and you'll find it.