Smitty_Voorhees

Friday the 13th: The Game: The Movie! (fan fiction script)

On 8/18/2019 at 1:49 PM, Smitty_Voorhees said:

Bumping for the 1-year anniversary ('ish). Was hoping to write a sequel this summer, but alas, did not have the time. The lawsuit continues to drag on, but hopefully by next summer there will be some sort of resolution, and we can get more content!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1alhxDgb-ev9LmokPUGVv-ZBgzLfxU_yP

This was quite a nice read. If you ever get the time and inspiration for a sequel, I'd enjoy reading that as well.

We need more people who are confident enough to express themselves creatively.

You get a six-pack of your beverage of choice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

This was quite a nice read. If you ever get the time and inspiration for a sequel, I'd enjoy reading that as well.

We need more people who are confident enough to express themselves creatively.

You get a six-pack of your beverage of choice.

Haha, thanks! (And thanks for expressing an interest in the sequel -- will definitely let you know should it get written.)

26 minutes ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

Haha, thanks! (And thanks for expressing an interest in the sequel -- will definitely let you know should it get written.)

No problem.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

Any luck with a sequel @Smitty_Voorhees?

Unfortunately, no.  :(   I did write, I think, 13 other scripts or so in the last year, though! But actual scripts, and not for-fun fan scripts.

But I still, from time to time, try to imagine what a good, modern F13 script would look like. There's a very specific formula to the originals that have, unfortunately, been outdated by today's standards, and I fear whoever eventually does get a new movie going, they'll overthink it and make it terrible. Or they'll miss the right tone of the violence. No old-school horror fan would confuse a TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE with a FRIDAY THE 13th film. Both very distinct types of violence. It would need a filmmaker and producer(s) who understands that.

It's fun to think about. Especially since just thinking about it is probably all we have for a long time.

7 hours ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

Unfortunately, no.  :(   I did write, I think, 13 other scripts or so in the last year, though! But actual scripts, and not for-fun fan scripts.

But I still, from time to time, try to imagine what a good, modern F13 script would look like. There's a very specific formula to the originals that have, unfortunately, been outdated by today's standards, and I fear whoever eventually does get a new movie going, they'll overthink it and make it terrible. Or they'll miss the right tone of the violence. No old-school horror fan would confuse a TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE with a FRIDAY THE 13th film. Both very distinct types of violence. It would need a filmmaker and producer(s) who understands that.

It's fun to think about. Especially since just thinking about it is probably all we have for a long time.

You've been quite busy to put together 13 scripts in a year's time. If any of those make it to the big screen, let us know.

Out of curiosity, which filmmaker visionaries could do your scripts justice?

12 hours ago, Fair Play said:

You've been quite busy to put together 13 scripts in a year's time. If any of those make it to the big screen, let us know.

Out of curiosity, which filmmaker visionaries could do your scripts justice?

To be fair, I count rewrites and producer/director drafts as new scripts, not just totally new scripts. But yes, I'm extremely busy, for sure. I'm working with a few very talented filmmakers, but there of course is a wishlist that I'd like to work with someday as well. But at this stage of my career, I'm just happy with whoever can pull financing, attract talent, and not make something that will kill my career before it can really begin.

I have never had a theatrical release produced, and I wouldn't, for example, do a FRIDAY THE 13th movie as my first (not that I'd get hired to do one, but still), because I don't think a F13 movie, even if really successful, would really move the needle. Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like a risky move. And if I were already an established writer, I don't think I'd take the chance to do a F13 movie, either. I have a bunch of really bad, straight-to-video movies produced and those have neither helped nor hurt my career, because those movies don't even show up on the radar of legit Hollywood. But you do a movie like F13 with big theatrical distribution and it tanks, and you don't have any other studio movies that have made a lot of money, and you're done. Straight to writer's jail, do not pass go, do not collect your WGA residual check.

But, even though I'd never go anywhere near this franchise professionally, I absolutely love it. And I just hope that whoever does take it on can do it justice. I honestly wasn't very happy with the '09 version. It felt tonally off to me. I think if it wasn't actually Jason, I would have dug it. But expectations are a bane to enjoying a movie for what it is.

@Smitty_Voorhees, I've seen my share of straight to video movies, and they're not all bad. I do hope that one day, long after the lawsuit ends, an F13 movie will come along and restore glory to the franchise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fair Play said:

@Smitty_Voorhees, I've seen my share of straight to video movies, and they're not all bad. I do hope that one day, long after the lawsuit ends, an F13 movie will come along and restore glory to the franchise.

The wait is maddening. I hope Zerner's optimistic prediction of it being settled in June turns out to be true!

14 hours ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

The wait is maddening. I hope Zerner's optimistic prediction of it being settled in June turns out to be true!

You and me both my friend...

• Like 1