jscott991

Considering Buying the Game

I know there is a lot of negativity around this game because of the lack of new upcoming content, but with the Steam sale going on, I wanted to see if it was a waste of time to jump in.  Do people still play?

If people are still playing, I had a few questions about gameplay.

Is there a way to only play as counselors?  I was told elsewhere that since so many people prefer Jason, you can almost always end up as a counselor if you want.

How often do you get the counselor you prefer?  This is honestly my biggest question.  If I'm going to have to play as undesirable counselors more often than not, then I probably don't really want the game.

Thanks for any help!

Unless it is around ten bucks or so, don't bother. But, yes you can set your preference to counselor. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's not quite $10, but it is 50% off.

Thanks for the answer.  I'm still curious about how often you get to play a specific character vs. being randomly assigned.

8 minutes ago, jscott991 said:

It's not quite $10, but it is 50% off.

Thanks for the answer.  I'm still curious about how often you get to play a specific character vs. being randomly assigned.

You assign your counselor and Jason in the lobby.  Current state of the game means it may give you random anyway but you're only gonna start with a few counselors and jasons anyway. 

Just now, jscott991 said:

So there's a bug now where you might get assigned a random counsel to play?

That would make it kind of annoying.

It sure does.

• Confused 1

Ah, ok.  That's a deal breaker for me.  On to Dead by Daylight, even though I like the concept and design of F13 better.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jscott991 said:

I know there is a lot of negativity around this game because of the lack of new upcoming content, but with the Steam sale going on, I wanted to see if it was a waste of time to jump in.  Do people still play?

If people are still playing, I had a few questions about gameplay.

Is there a way to only play as counselors?  I was told elsewhere that since so many people prefer Jason, you can almost always end up as a counselor if you want.

How often do you get the counselor you prefer?  This is honestly my biggest question.  If I'm going to have to play as undesirable counselors more often than not, then I probably don't really want the game.

Thanks for any help!

I still think it's worth a buy and a play through. You can play as any counselor you want, although only online and in the virtual cabin. I would suggest finding pc people to play with so you don't run into hackers. I still enjoy playing the game and turn it on from time to time. FYI this community is full of whiners and complainers., but there also a lot of awesome people too. 

They are fixing the character/counselor selection bug in this week's patch by the way.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it at this point. The flash is over and with the bugs and no dedicated servers still for consoles, I can't in good faith recommend it. If you are on pc, you have the bugs, and hackers to deal with but get the security of having dedicated servers. The no new content doesn't affect me like it does a lot of people, as most of the content was sims style fluff stuff in my opinion (costumes and emotes), and never cared for Jason meets Star Trek. Those are just my opinions on it, and it is hard for this die hard fan to blindly support and stand by these decisions. I held out hope longer than I should have, I still enjoy the forum's community for the most part and love talking with folks, even if we disagree. It was great when it first dropped, but it fell fast unfortunately.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

Where did they say theyre patching this week @Jasix?

See here:

http://forum.f13game.com/topic/20220-state-of-the-game-critical-issue-update/

That is the announcement of what is in the patch. I cannot for the life of me remember who told me it was this week or if I read it somewhere, BUT they are fixing the character selection bug. 

6 weeks ago I would have told you yes buy it.

Considering there has been mass Exodus of players and the game is nearly unplayable, with no timeline given to when it'll be fixed, I wouldn't recommend spending more than $10 on it. 

If it is cheap it is probably worth it. No new content isn't what is keeping this from being fun. It is the bugs that are frustrating. However, if you get in with a good group those won't matter as much.

Like last night I was with a good crew and Jason saw me finish repairing the car and have enough time that I should have been able to run into the nearby house. I was stuck by the car. He came by grabbed me saying once I break to get away because I was glitched. 

I have also been glitched as Jason and had the counselors help me get unglitched (and have helped Jason myself) as opposed to just be dicks about it. But you also have those moments that people don't care either.

If you were looking at console I would say pass due to the servers as previously stated.

Edit* Also I play on Xbox and not PC. I don't know how many are still playing on PC. If the numbers are way low then while thematically not as awesome DbD would be a better option. 

1 minute ago, AdmiralJT said:

6 weeks ago I would have told you yes buy it.

Considering there has been mass Exodus of players and the game is nearly unplayable, with no timeline given to when it'll be fixed, I wouldn't recommend spending more than $10 on it. 

I really hate when people say the game is unplayable/nearly unplayable/so broken it can't be played... etc.The game is very much playable.

I have played numerous hours 4-5 days a week for the past few weeks and have only seen ONE glitch that messed things up to the point of not being able to play a round.. one round. 

This person is asking about PC and apparently we have less issues than console players because everyone that I play with is still playing and aside from a few goofy glitches (and the one major one that time) our games have been relatively bug free. 

As for numbers... Steam averages 700 players on at any given time... that is roughly 90 full lobbies. With the friend and group functions you can easily amass enough friends/group members to never play in QP. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I see no indication anywhere that the patch for fixing counselor selection will be released this week.  The Steam sale lasts until July 5, so I can wait to see if they fix it before then.  I won't buy it if I can't reasonably play as the character I select.  I hate random character choices.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jasix said:

I really hate when people say the game is unplayable/nearly unplayable/so broken it can't be played... etc.The game is very much playable.

I have played numerous hours 4-5 days a week for the past few weeks and have only seen ONE glitch that messed things up to the point of not being able to play a round.. one round. 

This person is asking about PC and apparently we have less issues than console players because everyone that I play with is still playing and aside from a few goofy glitches (and the one major one that time) our games have been relatively bug free. 

As for numbers... Steam averages 700 players on at any given time... that is roughly 90 full lobbies. With the friend and group functions you can easily amass enough friends/group members to never play in QP. 

7 out of 10 matches end early because of a variety of bugs.

How is that not broken?

I was finding lobbies on PS4 in under 2 minutes, now it takes nearly 10.

How is that not tied to reduced player count?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jasix said:

See here:

http://forum.f13game.com/topic/20220-state-of-the-game-critical-issue-update/

That is the announcement of what is in the patch. I cannot for the life of me remember who told me it was this week or if I read it somewhere, BUT they are fixing the character selection bug. 

I still wouldn't recommend, there is no date set on the next patch, and who knows how long it will take them to fix these six bugs, while the game is still plagued with many more. A lot that have been here since launch. With the state it is in, and this person more than likely having to deal with cheaters/hackers/modders, I still can't recommend it. Maybe after they fix things, and prove that continued support for servers will last for some time to come. As well as actually doing better about handling the hackers and such.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jasix said:

I wouldn't say its unplayable but it sometimes is a factor based on your group. I find something I repair it. Getting stuck by the car very much feels like its unplayable if no one helps you get unstuck or if Jason is a dick about it.

4 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

7 out of 10 matches end early because of a variety of bugs.

How is that not broken?

I was finding lobbies on PS4 in under 2 minutes, now it takes nearly 10.

How is that not tied to reduced player count?

Everyone has different experience, and have different interpretations of their sessions. I was hosting several games on PS4, and didn't have any issues for the most part. The only issue I had was getting stuck to the boat, although I was able to break free eventually. I think outta the 10 games I played, only 1 ended early. I also don't consider this game unplayable due to glitches. Than again, I am more of a glass half full person.

I honestly wouldn't recommend it. It's a fun game when you play with friends but that's about it. Even then you can't guarantee that you'll be able to finish a match. I can't speak for consoles but PC player count is nearing extinction level numbers. So, unless John Hammond gets his hands on this game it's days are numbered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jscott991 said:

I see no indication anywhere that the patch for fixing counselor selection will be released this week.  The Steam sale lasts until July 5, so I can wait to see if they fix it before then.  I won't buy it if I can't reasonably play as the character I select.  I hate random character choices.

Random can be fun in it makes you mix up your play styles. Plus if you get good you can still repair with the dumb characters.

2 minutes ago, jameson87 said:

I still wouldn't recommend, there is no date set on the next patch, and who knows how long it will take them to fix these six bugs, while the game is still plagued with many more. A lot that have been here since launch. With the state it is in, and this person more than likely having to deal with cheaters/hackers/modders, I still can't recommend it. Maybe after they fix things, and prove that continued support for servers will last for some time to come. As well as actually doing better about handling the hackers and such.

He does make some good points. I think since I have played since launch I have in some way accepted these glitches. Which isn't a good thing. I would also be lying if I said I have had no fun playing the dog shit bug fest too.

1 minute ago, Manny1985 said:

Everyone has different experience, and have different interpretations of their sessions. I was hosting several games on PS4, and didn't have any issues for the most part. The only issue I had was getting stuck to the boat, although I was able to break free eventually. I think outta the 10 games I played, only 1 ended early. I also don't consider this game unplayable due to glitches. Than again, I am more of a glass half full person.

I cut this game a lot of slack over the last 8 months I've played it. But it has only gotten worse with every update. I'm generally a fairly optimistic person too, but I can only stand to be disappointed so many times.

5 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

I honestly wouldn't recommend it. It's a fun game when you play with friends but that's about it. Even then you can't guarantee that you'll be able to finish a match. I can't speak for consoles but PC player count is nearing extinction level numbers. So, unless John Hammond gets his hands on this game it's days are numbered. 

“We spared no expense”

13 minutes ago, jscott991 said:

Not sure why anyone said it was next week... That was never said by the devs. It is supposed to be fixed in the next update, but we don''t have a hard date on that yet. You have some time before the sale ends, so waiting might be a good call. It couldn't hurt, right?

I would still recommend this game to people, but they should be aware that there are more bugs than most games. If that's not something you can deal with (until they're hopefully fixed), then you shouldn't buy the game. Most bugs aren't big issues, but there are a few that really suck. Some people rarely see any bugs, some people seem to have problems with every other match.