wes

Questions About Future Content

Do what you guys can within in your limits.

Once the lawsuit settles, jump on getting the rights again and start development for a next gen Friday the 13th game. Maybe you can even use some of your existing assets to build off (not sure how that works). I'll back the project again. Probably at a higher tier.

@wes not sure if this has been answered or is in the wrong spot, but what about the backer purchases? I paid for the coffee table book and soundtrack. Am I still gonna get these?

• Like 1

This is the worst news possible, so even if they make a ruling in the near future you aren't going to add any new content whatsoever? Lol you guys really are dumb if you think moving on from this game is going to be good business for you. Hardly anyone is going to buy any future projects you release. Your name has been tarnished forever. The only reason we put up with your bullshit like the glitches, bugs and broken promises is because we love the Friday the 13th franchise that much! If you try pulling anything like you did here with future projects you can kiss your company goodbye you simply won't last. Essentially, you didn't just put the nail in the coffin for your Friday the 13th game but also your companies as a whole, you just don't know it yet.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Carl Winslow said:

This is where he says “near future”......

These questions vary but all have a similar tone/request. “Is there a chance of any content being added to the game if a ruling on the dispute occurs in the near future?” The answer is no. 

But he’s saying that even IF the case is resolved in the “near future”, they will not be adding new content. Ever. It’s done. 

Yeah he's really trying to let everyone still hoping for the best down gently. 

8 minutes ago, steven_kale99 said:

@wes not sure if this has been answered or is in the wrong spot, but what about the backer purchases? I paid for the coffee table book and soundtrack. Am I still gonna get these?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wes said:

Development on games can’t just pause indefinitely and pick back up again; it doesn’t work that way. Especially when you have no idea when that future date will occur. We can’t keep building content that may never see the light of day. That’s bad business.

-W

So now we're talking about bad business?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Carl Winslow said:

He said not now or in the future in the first statement. Now today he flat out said NEVER. 

“Not now or in the future” does mean never. That’s how I took it as soon as I read it.

Honestly, this has been the case since all this went down. I’m not sure how people thought they’d come back to the game after they posted it in print that they were not.

It’s the same as when they said they were not legally allowed to release new content, and people here were fighting them on it. They’re still fighting them now. If they were able to release it, they would’ve. They can’t, so they won’t. The debate ends there. 

1 hour ago, hu_soldier13 said:

I'm holding out on buying that until this game officially dies, as in servers go offline.

Yup, this! Like I said, AFTER this game dies. (Which it will, with no revenue) I really don't like the game, but we already have friends there who play. And when this game goes dark, unless something else comes out by then...

This just seems to have added to the confusion.

If hypothetically the lawsuit is settled in September...then why can't new content be added to the game from that point on? I appreciate new content can't be developed up until that point...but after that point? When dedicated servers would have surely gone live?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Tommy said:

So now we're talking about bad business?

What I don’t understand about his statement is illfonic will still be working on bug fixes and polish on the game anyway.....so unless they feel that they will have all the remaining fixes patched up fairly quickly 3 to 5 months there is no reason to say if the lawsuit was resolved before that time frame content couldn’t pick back up unless there is another reason for it.......and I strongly feel that it’s a paying for the license issue that is the true culprit to no more new content. The agreement with Sean was probably only for a year.

1 minute ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

What I don’t understand about his statement is illfonic will still be working on bug fixes and polish on the game anyway.....so unless they feel that they will have all the remaining fixes patched up fairly quickly 3 to 5 months there is no reason to say if the lawsuit was resolved bh that time frame content couldn’t pick back up unless there is another reason for it.......and I strongly feel that it’s a paying for the license issue that is the true culprit to no more new content. The agreement with Sean was probably only for a year.

Sean gave them the license for free. It wouldn’t make sense for him to put restrictions on it.

But, stranger things have happened.

Just now, JackTV said:

Sean gave them the license for free. It wouldn’t make sense for him to put restrictions on it.

But, stranger things have happened.

Sean is a business man too my friend and he would be an idiot to continue to gift somebody something he can make money on.....the game has made a lot of money.....Gun and Illfonic can effectively afford to pay for it now...... 

28 minutes ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

Because they don’t want us to know that it’s because they don’t want to pay to add more content to the game.... the team is using this as a out and trying to make it seem like it’s out of their hands.

And that doesn't look good on a resume lol 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ghostboy20 said:

And that doesn't look good on a resume lol 

Resume? They're gonna need a new company name lol

10 minutes ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

Sean is a business man too my friend and he would be an idiot to continue to gift somebody something he can make money on.....the game has made a lot of money.....Gun and Illfonic can effectively afford to pay for it now...... 

If that’s the case, that’s a bad deal for them. According to Gun, they never anticipated the demand/success the game initially had.

If you take everything the game put in place, they could turn everything they’ve done into their own property. I’m not a DBD fan, and I think Last Year looks corny. The only game I really think could outdo them is Hide or Die, and that game is still early. 

The core of the game was theirs at one point anyway. It’d be the same game, sans the license. But the loss of the license is also the loss of a lot of restrictions. If this is the way F13 has to go, let it go, and move forward with their own property in the future. The core of everything is theirs.

Im still trying to figure out what all the hate is about. Is it about Uber Jason? That’s what I keep seeing. If that’s the case, people are crying over one model and one map. If it’s NOT the case, they’d be mad that Uber Jason/Grendel was the last content being made anyway, because they’d want more.

At this point, I’d just move forward with their own stuff.

I am more concerned that we have not been given an answer about saving data to our consoles......

@wes this is one of the most important questions going on today since your post, with out being able to save the content unlocked on our side we will only be able to play offline bots with 3 jasons and virtual cabin.....and trust me no one wants to play the virtual cabin anymore after this news and seeing a character that should have unlocked at level 101 4 months ago on the screen.

6 hours ago, wes said:

Hey Campers,

Sorry for the silence as of recent. It’s been a tough couple weeks, as I’m sure you’re aware. But I wanted to address a few questions that I’ve had sent to me personally, as well as questions we’ve received through the official F13 channels. These questions vary but all have a similar tone/request. “Is there a chance of any content being added to the game if a ruling on the dispute occurs in the near future?” The answer is no. 

Development on games can’t just pause indefinitely and pick back up again; it doesn’t work that way. Especially when you have no idea when that future date will occur. We can’t keep building content that may never see the light of day. That’s bad business. I’ve also had questions about adding “non-F13” related content to the game. “Can’t you make a new level or a new counselor that has nothing to do with the films?” We can’t do that either. We can’t add any content, whatsoever. Nada. Not even a new tree or rock. We can only focus on console dedicated servers, bug fixes, and maintenance.     

I know this isn’t the news you wanted to hear and I wish the situation were different. But it’s the painful truth. I appreciate your passion and look forward to seeing everyone around camp. 

-W

Just fix all the remaining bugs and release the source code, the Internet will provide new content.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DJM said:

Just fix all the remaining bugs and release the source code, the Internet will provide new content.

Yes please. 

Oh , man , Fuck.

Really never?……..AAAARGH.

Why , just why……...

I hate it but I am not in the mood Right now to get pissed again , so I am not going to write anything more.

6 hours ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

Nice exit strategy. "You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, and know when to run.".  Really wish I hadn't backed this game.  Only a matter of time before the next server delay announcement, then the next, then the next until we get the "game is going offline" post.  Looks like a certain undisclosed YouTuber is right about some things. 

Yeah, I regret backing my hard earned cash into this game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What goes around, comes around

Whether truly out of their control or not, a bad experience like this shatters consumer faith

• Like 2

well, i guess that's all, but ill still play till there are no more players, or at least Last Year comes out, or Hide or Die

44 minutes ago, The Tommy said:

Resume? They're gonna need a new company name lol

I'm guessing they'll need new names lol I know a guy who can help 

4 minutes ago, Carl Winslow said:

When I backed this game, it was because Gun said it would be the “definitive Friday the 13th experience” and “supported for years to come”..... I didn’t know they actually meant “for YEAR to come. Then it’s dead”. 

oh :c thats a shame, i didnt backed them because i didnt know about this game,  too bad for those who supported them