wes

Questions About Future Content

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, wes said:

I don't have rights to make a sequel. 

What about an original concept?

You said before you obtained the rights to Friday the 13th, you were working on a game called... Um...

You know what I'm trying to say right?

Here's a thread suggesting an idea for a new game @weshttp://forum.f13game.com/topic/20230-make-a-create-a-killer-game-based-off-this-game/?tab=comments#comment-310209

Edited by Freddie Mercury
  • Like 2

How about open sourcing the server protocol, dedicated server, and/or matching server code, so we can finish and maintain it after you give up and take the servers down?

I play on PS4, but wouldn't be against picking up the PC version if I knew I could run my own server after the official ones go away.

• Like 1

Wew boy I am...depressed. Nothing like waking up to a punch to the heart. I was really hoping there was a good shot at resuming content production if this suit finished amicably, but I guess not. I can understand that people have to work and it's not something where the staff can sit on their hands until they're "allowed" to make content again, but it still hurts. I enjoy other, similar games well enough, but for all of the hiccups I really enjoy/enjoyed F13 the most. The actual feel of stalking/being stalked, the variety of kills, the size of the playable space. I really hope everything currently wrong with the game can be smoothed out so we can at least have the best version of the current game possible + keeping a potentially small but dedicated playerbase, but I'm not going to pretend I'm not super bummed about this

What about an original concept?

You said before you obtained the rights to Friday the 13th, you were working on a game called... Um...

You know what I'm trying to say right?

Absolutely this, too. 

"BOY, WE SURE SHOULD SURE BE CAREFUL AT THIS CABIN. I HEARD THE INFAMOUS, FOOTBALL HELMETED KILLER MASON JOORHEES IS AROUND. [WINK]"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If I’m correct, there needs to be revenue coming in to continue working on something. Why would a developer create content they cannot release? Food needs to be put on the table. Families need to be taken care of.

7 minutes ago, wes said:

When this lawsuit is wrapped up, are you opposed to having a conversation with the rights holder about it?

They can still have some revenue by selling the game to new players. With a big discount obiouvsly

only thing I am not happy about is no dedicated servers after a year, the bugs, and the possibility of losing unlocked content once the servers go off

any comments on those?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, wes said:

...yet. Now would be a good time to approach John Carpenter. Not that I dont like original concepts, but the fanboy in me is insatiable now that this game exists.

Edited by F134Ever86

2 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

...yet.

Their better of making their own original killer game imo.

What would be the difference between a sequel and the current game anyways?

• Like 1

"The copyright motion was filed in 2016, with a termination date of June/July 2018. I know at first you guys were told that the active lawsuit would not affect F13:The Game however, as the 2018 deadline approached with no settlement in sight, I feel like someone had to be aware of the possibility not being able to add future content. I just wondering with this pending deadline looming, why was the decision made, to stop working on content, and concentrate on the engine upgrade? The engine upgrade, dedicated servers, bug fixes could have been worked on, and released after the 2018 termination deadline."

Answer this question, would you kindly?

• Like 1

They could always create their own IP. The licenses boost sales, but that’s only initially. We obviously love the game beyond the license. There’s a lot that can be taken from this experience that can be applied in an all-new property. I’d play it. They were doing that before the license came along anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Freddie Mercury said:

Why not do the film series?

Friday the 13th: Part 1 could be the events of the first film. You're Pamela and have to silently stalk your victims in each game. Part 2 would be Baghead Jason going through the events of Part 2. Each version could have a multiplayer mode, more specific and less generic than this game. Then continue down the line of films.

I think it would have a huge following and would make lots of money for Gun down the road. 

. . . IF the conversation of sequel games take place, that is.  😥 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Freddie Mercury said:

Their better of making their own original killer game imo.

You've never played a sequel to any game?

@wesI understand that the company must move on and I hope you do well with the next game but why does that mean you have to stop releasing content. If you love it so much there is no reason that after the settlement you can’t release the already completed Jason and what ever else is completed while working on your new project. Lots of companies do this. What about your #savecrystallake? Is it funding you need? Start up a backer kit or gofundme and I will donate or back again. 

• Like 1

Wow.. Well at least Wes is communicating with us.  I do want answers about servers though. @wes When will this happen ?  Will the game still be playable from a bot standpoint , Single Player challenges Ect? Also how about when new fixes happen getting rid of the weapon swapping level requirement ? Might as well give it to all of us now as i'm at level 70 and have a ways to go to get there so we can enjoy it with the time that we have left.

gun/fonic have buried any hopes of making another game i don't see how anyone would want to support them in the future after all this BS. i guess we have what? like 2 months at most before we get the servers are going down post this is a major gut punch to the backers and hardcore fans that have been there since the beginning. i guess now the only thing we can hope for is a working game before they finally call it quits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TWarner said:

Wow.. Well at least Wes is communicating with us.  I do want answers about servers though. @wes When will this happen ?  Will the game still be playable from a bot standpoint , Single Player challenges Ect? Also how about when new fixes happen getting rid of the weapon swapping level requirement ? Might as well give it to all of us now as i'm at level 70 and have a ways to go to get there so we can enjoy it with the time that we have left.

He makes a good point. If "all we have to work on is servers" (put me down as "skeptical"), then in the weeks you've had since mothballing the game, you must have made IMMENSE progress on the thing that is the sole priority- let's hear an update on how that's coming!

Wes is taking a beating and I don't want to pile on. But let's be real here.

How much longer am I going to be able to play this game? When will the servers be shut down? Again, be real @wes.

We want to know .

Well, I saw this coming. Businesses must make money, or they fail. That's a fact Jack! Fix the game now, and keep running as long as you can. It's been fun, we're all disappointed I'm sure. But, that's how it is. Good games everyone, good games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wes said:

Hey Campers,

Sorry for the silence as of recent. It’s been a tough couple weeks, as I’m sure you’re aware. But I wanted to address a few questions that I’ve had sent to me personally, as well as questions we’ve received through the official F13 channels. These questions vary but all have a similar tone/request. “Is there a chance of any content being added to the game if a ruling on the dispute occurs in the near future?” The answer is no. 

Development on games can’t just pause indefinitely and pick back up again; it doesn’t work that way. Especially when you have no idea when that future date will occur. We can’t keep building content that may never see the light of day. That’s bad business. I’ve also had questions about adding “non-F13” related content to the game. “Can’t you make a new level or a new counselor that has nothing to do with the films?” We can’t do that either. We can’t add any content, whatsoever. Nada. Not even a new tree or rock. We can only focus on console dedicated servers, bug fixes, and maintenance.     

I know this isn’t the news you wanted to hear and I wish the situation were different. But it’s the painful truth. I appreciate your passion and look forward to seeing everyone around camp. 

-W

Wait, What? "Development on games can't just pause indefinitely and pick back up again" Well can I ask Why Not? To my understanding Uber Jason/Grendel were near finish so say if the ruling does indeed occur in the near future why can't you continue to work on it? I really don't understand that at all. No one is asking you to work on new content right now, actually the opposite, everyone wants to see bug fixes and dedicated servers. Also no one is expecting content to be released the day after the lawsuit is resolved, people were just hoping  it would continue afterwards since Why not? I'm sorry but this is just really heartbreaking because it just doesn't make sense to me why you can't just continue to develop on new content ONCE the ruling on the dispute is resolved IF its in the near future. This is a huge slap in the face since it feels like you guys are abandoning the game which sucks since aside from the bugs, I love the gameplay of Friday the 13th and it really stings when something like this happens. I've made majority of my friends on steam through the game and it's kind of depressing seeing the number of people playing the game deplete everyday. 

• Like 1

This might be the end of F13, the license. But the game (the concept) doesn’t have to die. No one has rights to that.

The more I think about it, the more excited I am at the possibilities. 

There are downsides to licenses. You’ve got to stick to the source material. But what if there was no license involved? Not every map has to be in the woods (but they shouldn’t just be squares with a bunch of stacks in the middle like DBD either) Killers could be different, not just a different version of the same killer (but they shouldn’t look goofy as hell like the killers in Last Year either). 

Theres a lot that can be said for creating your own IP, while keeping the core gameplay you created under a license. And, with an original IP, no one can take that away.

I stronly believe that you’re weaselling out but let’s not talk about that right now.

Have you received a C&D at all? If so, even the game code shouldn’t be allowed to be changed so that’s definitely not the case. Without a C&D, you should DEFINITELY be able to add content unrelated to the suit. Let’s not forget miller has no rights over Friday The 13th, Jason and any other content released after P1. He only has rights over Pamela, camp Crystal Lake and child Jason. That’s why adding unique content or a “simple rock” as you said shouldn’t be a problem at all.

You also said that you can’t pause game development for moths, even though this community waited 6 months for an engine update without much information in between. The player count still skyrocketed after the updates release.

Without a C&D you should be allowed to work on further content unrelated to the suit whilst it gets resolved. This way, content can be pushed out at the end.

I can for sure say that this game will NOT make it for another year like this. I just don’t see how updating a dead game will be profitable at all. A lot of people (not all!) will not buy a game that gets no further content and has a player count < 500.

Don’t take this the wrong way, I love this game. It’s by far the best game I’ve ever played but I just don’t see it living for much longer.

Damn guys this just seems so...wrong. I dunno. I get that it's a business. But I wish they were at least putting up more of a fight. Maybe they did behind the scenes. Who knows. I'm just really devastated by this news. This game has been a great escape for me. I'm not even into modern day games! I bought a PS4 only for this game! It's the only game I own for the console and the only one I play every night. Damnit all.

1 hour ago, Whitebabyjoker said:

That's exactly what he said. Everything we have, is all we get. All those people on Twitter, as of today, are right. It's now a officially a dead game.

Just because it's not receiving any NEW content doesn't mean it's DEAD...Jeeze. Kids today...

As long as people are playing it, it's not dead. And as long as they fix the problems in the game, people will continue to play it - albeit much more casually.

If they want to extent the life cycle of the game, they should make it cheap (at least 50% of what it is now) and hope to make more sales - which is possible if the game isn't a buggy mess.

More maps/Jasons/Counselors aren't necessary to enjoy the experience the game has to offer when it's working right.

• Like 7