wes

Questions About Future Content

It does feel like you guys put in a new engine and were "excited" about the possibilities, then your first attempt at a "quick" hotfix broke the game in ways no one had imagined, and on Monday morning when you came in after the long weekend and saw the disaster, rather than buckle down and keep going... you called it a day, with this as pretense. 

I mean, the game ends spontaneously, and has for the last few weeks... but if that's all you can do to a game is fixes, and those take weeks/months for glaring issues... hmm.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kitcat said:

Thanks for the honesty, but this is SO lame.

You guys are not even trying. You guys are done with the game and this has nothing to do with lawsuits.

How I wish I had some glimpse of the future before buying this game. F13 and Jason deserved so much better.

Maybe I will keep playing for some time (IF the servers allow me lol), but only because of the good memories and the good friends that I had the chance to find in-game, not because of you guys.

Now I know that some people are simply right about some things. 

Hope you guys *enjoyed* my money. I'll mark the name Gun/Illfonic. Never again. 

Bye. 

Fixed a spelling mistake for you...

See ya then.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, wes said:

Hey Campers,

Sorry for the silence as of recent. It’s been a tough couple weeks, as I’m sure you’re aware. But I wanted to address a few questions that I’ve had sent to me personally, as well as questions we’ve received through the official F13 channels. These questions vary but all have a similar tone/request. “Is there a chance of any content being added to the game if a ruling on the dispute occurs in the near future?” The answer is no. 

Development on games can’t just pause indefinitely and pick back up again; it doesn’t work that way. Especially when you have no idea when that future date will occur. We can’t keep building content that may never see the light of day. That’s bad business. I’ve also had questions about adding “non-F13” related content to the game. “Can’t you make a new level or a new counselor that has nothing to do with the films?” We can’t do that either. We can’t add any content, whatsoever. Nada. Not even a new tree or rock. We can only focus on console dedicated servers, bug fixes, and maintenance.     

I know this isn’t the news you wanted to hear and I wish the situation were different. But it’s the painful truth. I appreciate your passion and look forward to seeing everyone around camp. 

.Meh,  If i was in charge id be adding anything i wanted to add.  This game has nothing to do with the lawsuit and i doubt the people involved in the law suits are squabeling over F13th game content.    It seems to me as if you're using this law suit to not add new content.

I doubt anyone is going to take you to court over adding a new tree.   Let alone anyone playing this game is policing this game for NEW trees being added.

Also development on games can pause and pick up again..  Not sure why it can't.    This seems like a choice you made.

Either way..   Thanks for at least saying you're going to work on bug fixes and maintenance.

• Like 5

This is unfortunate, but thanks for addressing this. Dedicated servers and bug fixes will more than keep me happy, and I plan to be in the game as long as possible.

I covered this on my own channel, and it’s something I think a few folks missed the first time. People made their arguments — over and over again — but couldn’t accept the facts. From their website:

“We’ve now been forced to accept that the lawsuit makes future content for the game, including alternate play modes, new playable Jasons and Counselors, and new maps, unfeasible now or in the future.”

Most notably, the “unfeasible now or in the future” part.

From the moment this statement was posted (actually before this), there was never going to be anything added to the game, even if the dispute got a ruling. So although I’m as bummed as everyone else, I can’t understand why some members continue to fight them on this.

It sucks, but I think they’ve been very clear. 

I've seen some discussions here, on social, youtube, etc, that describe this situation as "shady" or that we are trying to weasel out of the game. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But here's the thing... 

I love this franchise. I loved designing this game. I loved directing Kane in the motion capture. It was awesome working with him on kills that I knew fans would love. I loved working with 2D and 3D artists on characters, props, environments. I loved screensharing with the animation team when they took the aforementioned mo cap data, and started attaching data to the rig. Seeing the work we did in the motion capture studio a year prior, starting to come to life. I loved sitting with Manfredini, discussing music, stingers and stems that would later be connected to cinematic kills. 

To a creator, it's the holy grail to work on a subject that you love AND also have an audience that likes what you do. They like it so much, they give you money for it. That's the most amazing feeling, it's hard to describe. It's kinda euphoric. Not the money, that doesn't motivate me. It's the process and creative collaboration. The hard work and long hours to see something come to life. So when someone says "This is just an excuse for you to weasel out of this game." is dumbfounding to me. Why on earth would I want to stop doing the thing I love with my entire being? As a creator, why would I purposefully want to stop creating something that fulfills me more than anything I've ever done? 

If you have the opportunity in your life to do something you love, do it! Jump all over it with everything you have. Pour your soul into it and hold on as hard as you can. 

-W

• Like 12
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, wes said:

I've seen some discussions here, on social, youtube, etc, that describe this situation as "shady" or that we are trying to weasel out of the game. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But here's the thing... 

I love this franchise. I loved designing this game. I loved directing Kane in the motion capture. It was awesome working with him on kills that I knew fans would love. I loved working with 2D and 3D artists on characters, props, environments. I loved screensharing with the animation team when they took the aforementioned mo cap data, and started attaching data to the rig. Seeing the work we did in the motion capture studio a year prior, starting to come to life. I loved sitting with Manfredini, discussing music, stingers and stems that would later be connected to cinematic kills. 

To a creator, it's the holy grail to work on a subject that you love AND also have an audience that likes what you do. They like it so much, they give you money for it. That's the most amazing feeling, it's hard to describe. It's kinda euphoric. Not the money, that doesn't motivate me. It's the process and creative collaboration. The hard work and long hours to see something come to life. So when someone says "This is just an excuse for you to weasel out of this game." is dumbfounding to me. Why on earth would I want to stop doing the thing I love with my entire being? As a creator, why would I purposefully want to stop creating something that fulfills me more than anything I've ever done? 

If you have the opportunity in your life to do something you love, do it! Jump all over it with everything you have. Pour your soul into it and hold on as hard as you can. 

-W

can you guys attempt a relaunch in the future?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Gloved One said:

This I would like to know as well. Seconded.

Edit - I am still out of bloody emotes, Can we have twenty or a faster refresh rate, please. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SDA said:

See, there are any number of answers relating to future employment that make "why would I stop doing the thing I could never quite get right?" a reasonable question. Sorry.

Exactly. I'm not in the camp of it's a scam. I'm in the camp, that if it doesn't make money, it doesn't make sense. Dream project or not, they're giving up on it because it costs more to maintain that what it's bringing in. Sound business decision. But with the game in the state that it's in, you can't act surprised when people are skeptical.

8 minutes ago, Bigwayne13 said:

@wes I know your taking a beating right now so I'll try not to pile on. I just have a few questions about certain paths that were taken. The copyright motion was filed in 2016, with a termination date of June/July 2018. I know at first you guys were told that the active lawsuit would not affect F13:The Game however, as the 2018 deadline approached with no settlement in sight, I feel like someone had to be aware of the possibility not being able to add future content. I just wondering with this pending deadline looming, why was the decision made, to stop working on content, and concentrate on the engine upgrade? The engine upgrade, dedicated servers, bug fixes could have been worked on, and released after the 2018 termination deadline.

Good questions.

40 minutes ago, wes said:

Only reason it seems shady or people think you're trying to 'weasel out' is because their doesn't seem to be any push back comming from you.  Like you're just accepting it, and thats the end.

I understand theres two old dudes fighting over the rights to F13th.    But do these guys even care if you add a new content to the game?  

Maybe pestering them both, you could make a deal that gets them off your ass.  Theres always a way.   Deals can always be made.

Anyways, Thanks for at least telling everyone whats happening.    Bad news is better then no news.  :(

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, The Gloved One said:

I would like to know this as well.

• Like 4

@wesThank you for the information... I do have a pair of questions though:  Why can you guys not push out things that you did, in fact, release in the game code?  Uber Jason's model and kills are there and have been widely seen and used by hackers.  The Pajama Pack DLC has been seen, and in fact partially used in the single player challenges for at least one of the characters.  Why can't those be pushed out since they were technically already there?  

Secondly, what about the possibility of mods/mod community access?  Not sure if people will take up that mantle, but opening the game up to the Workshop would potentially help it thrive.

Thanks for all you do.  Really wish this content wasn't stopping for sure, but I love this game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Will there be a legendary perk event or will that count as extra content? Are you able to implement the credit roll in some aspect of single player either the challenges or virtual cabin?

• Like 1

I'm sorry this is a total abandonment of the game and quite frankly I'm surprised. No one is asking for anyone to continue creating content not knowing the future outcome. People are asking to pick up where you left off once there is a settlement. I'm not quite sure how that's bad business given the amount of people willing to pay for clothing packs, new kills and emotes. It just doesn't make sense to say picking up where you left off is bad business.

• Like 1

Not a good business decision to weasel out on anything. Every project you work on has your name on it. 

Maybe I’m just being naive, but if I were a game maker — developement or publishing side — I wouldn’t intentionally burn bridges by weaseling out. I don’t know... blaming the people who brought you the game — who have nothing to do with the legal stuff to begin with it — sounds counter-intuitive. 

• Like 1

@wes what are the chances we will see a sequel down the road? Thank you so much for making this game!

1 hour ago, wes said:

Hey Campers,

Sorry for the silence as of recent. It’s been a tough couple weeks, as I’m sure you’re aware. But I wanted to address a few questions that I’ve had sent to me personally, as well as questions we’ve received through the official F13 channels. These questions vary but all have a similar tone/request. “Is there a chance of any content being added to the game if a ruling on the dispute occurs in the near future?” The answer is no. 

Development on games can’t just pause indefinitely and pick back up again; it doesn’t work that way. Especially when you have no idea when that future date will occur. We can’t keep building content that may never see the light of day. That’s bad business. I’ve also had questions about adding “non-F13” related content to the game. “Can’t you make a new level or a new counselor that has nothing to do with the films?” We can’t do that either. We can’t add any content, whatsoever. Nada. Not even a new tree or rock. We can only focus on console dedicated servers, bug fixes, and maintenance.     

I know this isn’t the news you wanted to hear and I wish the situation were different. But it’s the painful truth. I appreciate your passion and look forward to seeing everyone around camp. 

-W

@wes - I love ya, brother, but can't you give us some kind of glimmer of hope here?

Let's look at this academically:

Suppose the lawsuit wraps up (miraculously) in September. Cunningham and Miller reach a mutually acceptable agreement, and they begin working on F13 productions again. 

If Sean Cunningham reapproaches you with more ideas for the game, you're still 100% out? Suppose he has a great idea for a F13 sequel game? Impossible?

"Unlikely" is fine. At this point, many of us are hoping for SOMETHING, like Lloyd Christmas in Dumb and Dumber . . .

giphy.gif

A infinitesimally small chance for SOMETHING in the future is better than death, devastation, post-mortem, flatlined rigor mortis.

NOT that you want to give ANYONE the wrong impression, of course. But do you really, truly, honestly feel that this and ANY future F13 games are completely impossible?

Supporting even a faint glimmer of hope is fine. Otherwise, I will promptly extinguish all sparks accordingly.

Always a fan,
- Skunk

• Like 2

You can love something all you want.  That still isn't going to save Gun from being labeled a flash in the pan game maker and Ill from being labeled completely incompetent at what they do.   Sorry, but the truth hurts.   I will never support another Gun or Ill game not due to this news, but due to the utter amateur way soooo many things were handled from the start with this fun little experiment. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, wes said:

Pour your soul into it and hold on as hard as you can.

You say as you give up...

15 minutes ago, Lost Horseman said:

I'm sorry this is a total abandonment of the game and quite frankly I'm surprised. No one is asking for anyone to continue creating content not knowing the future outcome. People are asking to pick up where you left off once there is a settlement. I'm not quite sure how that's bad business given the amount of people willing to pay for clothing packs, new kills and emotes. It just doesn't make sense to say picking up where you left off is bad business.

I'm with you here.

I wouldn't expect anyone to work on content that may never be released, but I would expect a team so dedicated to the franchise to pick up where they left off if it's settled soon. Especially since you have teased something that you never released. I'm sure you know that was a horrible PR move, but you still had a chance to redeem yourselves... @HuDawg is absolutely right, it looks like you guys just rolled over and accepted it. Might not be the case, but that's what it looks like.

10 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Supporting even a faint glimmer of hope is fine. Otherwise, I will promptly extinguish all sparks accordingly.

Already done at this point... They gave up, maybe it's time we do too. We tried to show them we would stick around. We've given them all the support we possibly could. Clearly they're not on the same page as us... Still glad they came out and said it, but I now have no ambition to defend them. Hopefully they do right by us and give us a polished game before dropping it completely.

Just now, Maddogg_8121 said:

Sorry, but the @Truth hurts.

I sure do man. I sure do...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Lost Horseman said:

"Picking up where you left off" is what i'm saying is not possible. That's not how software development works. What will 2D, 3D, environment, character and prop artists do during that downtime? What will animators, musicians, and foley artists do? What about level designers, and technical/UI artists? 

• Like 3

Just now, wes said:

"Picking up where you left off" is what i'm saying is not possible. That's not how software development works. What will 2D, 3D, environment, character and prop artists do during that downtime? What will animators, musicians, and foley artists do? What about level designers, and technical/UI artists? 

http://forum.f13game.com/topic/20057-the-sequel-or-volume-2/

I got ideas if you want them.

Honestly, it doesn't make good business sense for them. They can't monetize the game right now. Period. Without a regular revenue stream, keeping Illfonic (or any other developer) on as a full-time development team is just not feasible. Illfonic no doubt will need to move on to other projects so they can keep their lights on and people paid. They can't sit around waiting and hoping that this lawsuit will be settled soon. 

And even when the lawsuit is settled, you can't just pull Illfonic back in. They will likely already be waist-deep in another project. Such is the nature of business. The wheel turns. Things keep moving. 

My guess is that there's just enough surplus revenue to keep paying Illfonic long enough to get in the fixes we need and perhaps keep dedicated servers running for a while. That's it. It's the cold, hard reality of the situation. It isn't about Gun somehow "giving up" on the community or trying to pull a fast one. It's just business.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1