wes

Questions About Future Content

6 minutes ago, Mawlock said:

Lol wow, I forgot about him trying to remain relevant in the 90's early 00's. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Now to wipe that out with some Pantera.

This game was not worth $40 from the start. At least we got a half decent challenge sort of story mode out of this. 

34 minutes ago, jameson87 said:

Lol wow, I forgot about him trying to remain relevant in the 90's early 00's. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Now to wipe that out with some Pantera.

Welcome. I loved the 90's.

Just now, Mawlock said:

Welcome. I loved the 90's.

It was a mixed bag for me. But again thanks for that lol, always blows my mind looking back at the times, and the trends. Has a way of making some of us feel old lol.

As much as I loved playing this game and met some cool people playing it, it was doomed from the start. Launch day melted their servers cause they miscalculated how popular it would be after it was live. Took them FOREVER to get the servers improved and getting bugs worked out. With that they promised dedicated servers, all bugs fixed, a mode called "Paranoia" that they advertised and NEVER finished for release AND the final Jason to be released in Uber Jason/Grendal map. ALL of that could've been done AND added before they were served with a "cease and desist" from all lawyers and judge involved but they dragged their feet in it all.  Granted all online multiplayer games are FAR from perfect but all this content could've been issued and all bugs could've been fixed in the meantime. When @wes mentioned that it's bad for business to just pick up out of nowhere and continue support on a game, I think it was bad for business to have said that where other posts have mentioned how games YEARS after it has gone away gotten DLC's or updates.  I'm sorry @wes but that statement just killed not only your game but possibly your company as well. Many of us stood by while both Gun and Illfonic worked on this game to get it all corrected but yet we were given empty promises and false hopes. IF this suit is settled in the next couple of months, who is to say you cannot take what you have done to this point and release it with the appropriate permission and bug fix it as it is played.

I am just as upset as the next person and I hope that either 1) The developers go back and do what is right to us that have not only backed them but supported them and put out one LAST big update and have the dedicated servers up and running or 2) someone else picks up the license and not only re-releases it but does with it where Gun/Illfonic couldn't. I wish both companies nothing but the best of luck and thank you for bringing Jason BACK to the video game home console for us fans to enjoy. With out this game, my darkest days would've been much darker and my evenings wouldn't have been as much fun. IF this game goes dark for good, one suggestion I have @wes and @ShiftySamurai is that make the counselors playable on "Offline Bots" mode, I would think that it ISN'T considered "new content" just a bug fix. Yes it's cool running around with Jason killing the AI bots but it would be fun to run from AI Jason and try to survive.

Telling you right now, that last comment from @wes DEFINITELY killed all my future purchases regarding anything Gun Media/Illfonic. After all, it's bad business to invest in a company that lives only to crush your soul. I literally supported you guys all the way up until that last comment... Bad business... whatever...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I didn´t buy the game.  Because it was not finished.  I wanted all film maps.  I am ignorant about PS4.....so with that said...Say 15 years from now I feel like playing this game....Can I buy the PS4 F13 game at the flea market and play it?  OR is it only going to be online and 15 years from now it will not be right?

3 minutes ago, Hobgoblin238 said:

I didn´t buy the game.  Because it was not finished.  I wanted all film maps.  I am ignorant about PS4.....so with that said...Say 15 years from now I feel like playing this game....Can I buy the PS4 F13 game at the flea market and play it?  OR is it only going to be online and 15 years from now it will not be right?

That's the million dollar question in regards to client side saves. At present, if nothing changes, you'll be able to play Single Player and Offline Bots with only Parts 3 and 5 and none of their other unlockables.

We all know what the answer is, but Gun KNOWS that the moment they confirm it, we'll revolt.

So it's nothing but locked threads and bans to avoid the truth, which we will never get.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mawlock said:

We all know what the answer is, but Gun KNOWS that the moment they confirm it, we'll revolt.

So it's nothing but locked threads and bans to avoid the truth, which we will never get.

I think you are on to something.

52 minutes ago, jameson87 said:

I think you are on to something.

Yes, we all need to be a united front and demand the truth on everything gun has been bullshitting us about.

Client side saves, dedicated servers, why the priority to fix only the game breaking bugs and completely ignore everything else, Uber Jason, everything. Every...damn...thing.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Hobgoblin238 said:

Sorry, but I don’t buy this response (no pun intended). Many games today are shipped “unfinished”; day one patches, season passes, pay-to-win microtransactions or the “promise” of free future content.

E3 just showed off Division 2 and Fallout 76 - both fit the description of “unfinished”, minus pay-to-win.

Just my opinion but if the majority of gamers held to this standard, then a bunch of games would never be purchased.

F13th was advertised just like many others before and after it.

18 minutes ago, Grape said:

Sorry, but I don’t buy this response (no pun intended). Many games today are shipped “unfinished”; day one patches, season passes, pay-to-win microtransactions or the “promise” of free future content.

E3 just showed off Division 2 and Fallout 76 - both fit the description of “unfinished”, minus pay-to-win.

Just my opinion but if the majority of gamers held to this standard, then a bunch of games would never be purchased.

F13th was advertised just like many others before and after it.

Right. There are ups and downs to everything, including console HDDs. Unfortunately, games today ship unfinished because developers/publishers feel they can always patch it later. Plus, it’s free beta testing for them. 

I tweeted to Wes and never got a reply, so I will just leave my .2 here:

I was a backer for this game.  I forked over $275 bucks for the Steelbook Edition of the game,  along with MORE cash for the art book and soundtrack (that still is not here) as well as all of the available DLC that was sold independently.  I hyped this game so goddamn much it was insane.  Now, just like everyone else, I find out how the rights to the Friday the 13th license that were given Gun and Illfonic for the game, and it seems like they knew that the pending lawsuit could impact the game in itself.  Yet none of this was disclosed to any of the backers, or made public until the shit hit the fan.  The best part is, this whole DLC cancellation is because of Cunningham's lawsuit against Miller, and Cunningham gave them the license in the first place.  DLC was promised and never delivered in a timely fashion, bugs plagued this game and still do, the worst being the host bouncing out and players losing all their XP, and must I not forget the "accidental" releasing of Savini Jason on both the PSN and Microsoft consoles that was originally supposed to be a backer specific item.  To me, this whole thing reeks of a cash grab, and I was a huge proponent of the game (got my buddy and his 5 friends to buy the game and also just got a physical copy for a friend for his birthday literally the weekend before the DLC cancellation announcement was made).

I can't help but feel duped.  Also feel free to correct any misinformation if I listed anything that is not correct.

P.S. - I am still waiting for the digital version bloody splatter outfits that were promised when the physical version released last year.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, SpraykwoN said:

I tweeted to Wes and never got a reply, so I will just leave my .2 here:

I was a backer for this game.  I forked over $275 bucks for the Steelbook Edition of the game,  along with MORE cash for the art book and soundtrack (that still is not here) as well as all of the available DLC that was sold independently.  I hyped this game so goddamn much it was insane.  Now, just like everyone else, I find out how the rights to the Friday the 13th license was given Gun and Illfonic for the game, and it seems like they knew that the pending lawsuit could impact the game in itself.  Yet none of this was disclosed to any of the backers, or made public until the shit hit the fan.  The best part is, this whole DLC cancellation is because of Cunningham's lawsuit against Miller, and Cunningham gave them the license in the first place.  DLC was promised and never delivered in a timely fashion, bugs plagued this game and still do, the worst being the host bouncing out and players losing all their XP.  To me, this whole thing reeks of a cash grab, and I was a huge proponent of the game (got my buddy and his 5 friends to buy the game and also just got a physical copy for a friend for his birthday literally the weekend before the DLC cancellation announcement was made).

I can't help but feel duped.  Also feel free to correct any misinformation if I listed anything that is not correct.

I understand, but I feel much different on this issue. First, the game was only $40 at launch - most are $60. The Devs are a small company and to me, they did a fantastic job with making it faithful to the source material. Are their bugs - yep, but how many AAA developers have bug free games. I know Ubisoft and Bethesda games are never bug free.  For F13th, all of the maps and Jason’s were free. The only dlc’s with price takes were vanity/kill packs that never impact the game. Going back to Ubisoft and Bethesda - many of their gameplay DLC’s cost money and the game was $60 at launch.

I guess maybe the glass is either half full or half empty, depending on your point of view.

As always, just my .02 cents.

10 minutes ago, Grape said:

I understand, but I feel much different on this issue. First, the game was only $40 at launch - most are $60. The Devs are a small company and to me, they did a fantastic job with making it faithful to the source material. Are their bugs - yep, but how many AAA developers have bug free games. I know Ubisoft and Bethesda games are never bug free.  For F13th, all of the maps and Jason’s were free. The only dlc’s with price takes were vanity/kill packs that never impact the game. Going back to Ubisoft and Bethesda - many of their gameplay DLC’s cost money and the game was $60 at launch.

I guess maybe the glass is either half full or half empty, depending on your point of view.

As always, just my .02 cents.

I see what you are saying.  I should have highlighted some positives, which would be the free Jason's because to me that is a definite plus.  However, the empty promises and lack of a solid timeline with release dates is what got me.  Plus, knowing now that the game could be affected by this lawsuit from the beginning is a bit irritating.  I've worked in gaming for a long time, and I get that companies can't dev content not knowing if it will ever be released, but I feel that EVERYONE working on the game could have been more transparent from the beginning.  Just my opinion.

11 minutes ago, SpraykwoN said:

I see what you are saying.  I should have highlighted some positives, which would be the free Jason's because to me that is a definite plus.  However, the empty promises and lack of a solid timeline with release dates is what got me.  Plus, knowing now that the game could be affected by this lawsuit from the beginning is a bit irritating.  I've worked in gaming for a long time, and I get that companies can't dev content not knowing if it will ever be released, but I feel that EVERYONE working on the game could have been more transparent from the beginning.  Just my opinion.

I get it.

I'm with SpraykwoN, I was an ardent defender of Gun Media while already-promised content, like Single Player Challenges, was being pushed back indefinitely, or in the case of "Paranoia", scrapped altogether. I stood by their side because I love what they have crafted. I play the game, glitches and all, for hours on a daily basis, and I thoroughly enjoy every moment of it. I have no doubt that Gun Media and Illfonic love Jason just as much as I do, and their passion for the Friday the 13th films is visibly evident in their game.

Your fandom was never in question, Wes.

What is questionable is your decision to cancel ALL future content, even content that was already promised to us, even if the lawsuit is settled. I find this decision hard to defend, and even a little bewildering. I felt like you'd already gutted us with a machete when you made the announcement, but then Wes decided to come up and decapitate us just for good measure.

Unless you are just strictly prohibited from discussing even the possibility of future content until after a settlement is reached, I see absolutely no reason for telling us this. But even if that were the case, wouldn't it be better for you and for us to just say, "We'll discuss the future of DLC when we're legally allowed to"? Instead, it sounds as if you have no interest in adding any future content at all, and are actually hiding behind this lawsuit, which to me seems like...I don't know..."BAD BUSINESS", hmmm?

I mean, this legal battle isn't a secret, it's been going on for over 2 years. You had to have known this was coming. I would expect you to have at least some passing knowledge about the subject, considering that you went about obtaining the F13 license from one of the lawsuit's parties to begin with. You've spoken with Sean Cunningham, probably on more than one occasion. Surely you must have had some heads-up about this. A little word of warning would have been nice. So much for transparency...and "Good Business"...

Revoking mostly completed content that was promised to us back in December with a massive, much-hyped Easter Egg and then telling us in an admonishing, paternal tone that you're not ever going to release it even if/when you're legally allowed to do so is (say it with me) "Bad Business". Not to mention all the other shit people paid for that they still haven't received. Here's hoping you guys learned a valuable lesson about advertising unfinished content...I don't agree with the "cash grab" conspiracy theory (especially since most of the in-game content was free), but I can most certainly chalk it all up to extreme incompetence.

Good luck with your next game.

Sincerely, Former Customer

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Brevator said:

extreme incompetence.

The lawsuit didn't help,but this is what truly doomed the game from launch.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 9:47 PM, R.J MacReady said:

Oh God, f**king spare me.

You act like him and his cohorts haven't pulled that same trick before.

F**k up the game with a dumb patch or get caught up in some PR snafu that they get flamed for, then one of them comes out with a "this is our dream, how could you even suggest we'd mean wrong?!", and then the apologists/enablers like you come out and shun the people that were (rightly) handing them their ass on a platter and holding them accountable for thier mistakes.

Its the same damn cycle everytime, except this time, there's less apologists/enablers as even the most stanchest supporters of the devs can't find it in them to defend this dumpster fire of a company anymore.

Why is it that most of this forum acts as if the devs are gods? They have consistently released buggy updates that have been much more buggy than the previous update. They knew more than what they have been telling us, so why was the promised content not released  BEFORE? According to what I see, the news broke over a year ago that there was an issue as to who owns the copyright. Also, they entrust the coding to Illfonic, who seems not to be able to code much at all. Gun has broken the game, and made teaming well and fine. I think Gun has totally screwed this game over and has been deceptive in the process.

I quoted you because you seem to think for yourself and you don't need the devs to tell you how to think.  

17 minutes ago, thatdudescott said:

The lawsuit didn't help,but this is what truly doomed the game from launch.

So it would seem. Again, I was a staunch hawk against haters of this game, and I have the posts to back me up, but the "Aw, gee shucks, we're just a little indy dev" excuse isn't going to fly this time. Not with me.

33 minutes ago, Brevator said:

Unless you are just strictly prohibited from discussing even the possibility of future content until after a settlement is reached, I see absolutely no reason for telling us this. But even if that were the case, wouldn't it be better for you and for us to just say, "We'll discuss the future of DLC when we're legally allowed to"? Instead, it sounds as if you have no interest in adding any future content at all, and are actually hiding behind this lawsuit, which to me seems like...I don't know..."BAD BUSINESS", hmmm?

Exactly! He copped out and used the lawsuit as a means to "get away" from a game that has remained broken or glitchy from day one!

Futhermore, I agree. Why not just say "Let's see when the lawsuit will be settled, and see what the outcome is first. Then we will discuss content and add-ons once we are legally able to explore those types of questions."

But no, he just says f*ck you guys, no content!

• Like 2

I genuinely feel like they realized back in March or April that the Grendel Map, like "Paranoia", just wasn't going to work at all the way they wanted it to, and they were waiting until June to give us this bullshit cop-out. I hate to say it, because I've spent hours arguing against people who have accused them of such tactics, but I can't find any other logic in this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1