Sign in to follow this  
TheReaper666

Halloween 2018 ignoring part 2?

Looks good but ignoring every movie after part 1 bothers me. I'm one that always makes movies work and connect them together, like to me Friday the 13th 2009 takes place after Freddy VS Jason and isn't a reboot. But maybe it's just me. But I am determined to make Halloween 2018 fit with the other movies... Here is how

Halloween 2018 is supposedly a direct sequel to the original 1978 movie, ignoring every movie after it. In reality though it doesn't ignore every movie after the original and here is why... In the trailer for the new movie they say "Laurie isn't Michael's sister, that is something people made up" But why even mention this in the trailer? If the movie ignores every movie after part 1, then there shouldn't even be a "story people made up" about them being siblings, because it was never mentioned in the original movie, only in the sequel. So already right there it isn't ignoring part 2. "Michael was arrested on Halloween night in 1978 after the murders" Halloween 2 takes place directly after the first movie on Halloween night 1978, and we know for a fact that in Halloween 4, Michael was arrested at the end of part 2 after being taken to the hospital, and then locked back up in an asylum. So far the new movie doesn't ignore any of this, it only changes the fact that Michael and Laurie aren't really related, which is fine because nobody told Laurie in part 1 or 2 that they were related anyways. Dr Loomis didn't even know, so it can be said that it was false information. Laurie didn't research it when she finally found out, she changed her name, faked her death and moved to California to protect her daughter Jamie who dies in part 6 and her other daughter which she has in the new movie, and so on H20 happens and leading to the events of Resurrection.  Laurie is stabbed falls from a roof but survives, Michael is captured and put back in the asylum and it's covered up by the media, so the public believes Michael has really been locked up for 40 years and never escaped to begin with, and the reality show from Resurrection labled as an elaborate hoax. Laurie moves back to Haddonfield where she now has a grand daughter and tries to have a relationship with her and her daughter after bailing and leaving them. Michael escapes now (which the public thinks is his first escape since they believe he's been locked up since 1978) and now we have the new Halloween 2018 movie...

I wasnt crazy about the whole thorn thing and i think michael myers would better off as a non supernatural psychopath with no motive. Any backstory takes away from the shape image. The only thing I would like to see from the old movies is Danielle Harris.

• Like 1

Well the way I see it Michael and Laurie aren't siblings. Halloween 2 and 4 are probably my favorite sequels, 5 was just ok, 6 was meh, I did like H20 and Resurrection was another meh for me. 

Danielle Harris as Jamie is about the only thing I'd have liked to have carried over, but I knew that'd be a pipe dream.

The first and Halloween 4 remain my favourites. H20 was okay. Never been as wowed about 2 as other people, and the rest are middling or just poor.

I'm not upset about them eliminating the sibling angle. I agree with Carpenter there, always felt a bit shoe-horned in for a shock element.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DamonD7 said:

Danielle Harris as Jamie is about the only thing I'd have liked to have carried over, but I knew that'd be a pipe dream.

The first and Halloween 4 remain my favourites. H20 was okay. Never been as wowed about 2 as other people, and the rest are middling or just poor.

I'm not upset about them eliminating the sibling angle. I agree with Carpenter there, always felt a bit shoe-horned in for a shock element.

I feel the same way. I would have loved to see Jamie Lloyd to exist in this timeline, and I enjoyed H20, but I can see Carpenter wanting to eliminate both timelines. I’m just glad that no Thorn bullshit will once again not be relevant in this version. And Resurrection being not canon to this film is also a mega plus.

I really hope the best for this reboot because the last time a major slasher franchise decided to ignore all of its sequels in favor for the new one, we got Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D ?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DamonD7 said:

I believe that Danielle Harris probably would have been a no-brainer casting choice, had she not starred in the Zombie re-makes. Maybe they thought it would confuse too many people. I would have loved to see her in this too. I am not taking away anything from Judy Greer. I'm sure she will do a fine job. I just believe that Danielle had earned the right over the years.

She was excellent in Pts 4 & 5, and the idiot that refused her meager request for $5 grand to be in 6 should have been drawn and quartered. Either way, I am looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. But, I am going in with tempered expectations. This is one of my favorite horror franchises, and I hope this entry shows the proper respect.

• Like 1

Crazy Fact: Danielle Harris and Jamie lee Curtis have never met each other . Plus John Carpenter didn't know who Danielle was when they met at a convention .

@Rexfellis it may also be the fact that Danielle still looks like she is in her early twenties.

I'm not going to be seeing this one.Kinda tired of the Halloween movies ignoring previous entries in the series.I'm glad this will be out there,for those who will enjoy it,but i think i'm  done with Halloween.I got the bluray box set that has all the previous ones,and i think that will be fine for me.

I'm tired of entries being ignored also, which is why I came up with my way of making this movie fit. You can make a good sequel without retconning the entire story. This could of easily referenced 4 through 8 and still became basically the exact same movie that it is. That is what I do not get. All they have to do is say hey they really aren't siblings, mention John living in California, or showing a picture of Danielle Harris in Laurie's house and change Michael from being locked up the last 40 years to being locked up the last 15. Simple as that. Same storyline, same script, same movie, without shitting on fans who want it to be a part of the story. I don't see why this couldn't of been done, and done very easily. 

I like the fact that they're doing away with all of the sequels. I never cared what so ever for the brother/sister story line. They gave Michael a reason to kill, which in my opinion took away from what made him scary. It's much more scary when there's no reason behind it. They're still acknowledging the sequels in one way or another but they are not canon.

The trailer for the new Halloween looks good... and I will go and see it.

The first two Halloween movies I thought were a good story together... with a definitive ending for Michael. I did watch all of the other movies in the series, but each one left me thinking that they could have done so much better. I only own the first two Halloween movies, but I did buy the Rob Zombie movies as well to check them out. His direct remake was pretty good, but I did not like his sequel to it at all. The original movies I will always like better than any remakes or sequels... unless the new movie somehow changes my mind.
   The whole story of Lorie being his sister gave him a reason for going after her specifically, although how he would have known that was her in the first place is another question that was never even addressed... If the new movie is ignoring everything beyond part 1, then why would he bother going after her specifically? If there was no reason for him killing people in his hometown other than the fact they were there, then why would he be going after her again all these years later?
   I guess I will have to wait until I see the movie for the answers to my questions... if they even try to answer these questions. I just hope it is a good movie.... and that there is VIP access for the movie, so I can drink beer in the theater.

2 hours ago, Ahab said:

The trailer for the new Halloween looks good... and I will go and see it.

The first two Halloween movies I thought were a good story together... with a definitive ending for Michael. I did watch all of the other movies in the series, but each one left me thinking that they could have done so much better. I only own the first two Halloween movies, but I did buy the Rob Zombie movies as well to check them out. His direct remake was pretty good, but I did not like his sequel to it at all. The original movies I will always like better than any remakes or sequels... unless the new movie somehow changes my mind.
   The whole story of Lorie being his sister gave him a reason for going after her specifically, although how he would have known that was her in the first place is another question that was never even addressed... If the new movie is ignoring everything beyond part 1, then why would he bother going after her specifically? If there was no reason for him killing people in his hometown other than the fact they were there, then why would he be going after her again all these years later?
   I guess I will have to wait until I see the movie for the answers to my questions... if they even try to answer these questions. I just hope it is a good movie.... and that there is VIP access for the movie, so I can drink beer in the theater.

You should definitely watch the sequels before the new Halloween . The new movie borrows elements and contains easter eggs to the sequels .plus , most of them are good.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Gloved One said:

You should definitely watch the sequels before the new Halloween . The new movie borrows elements and contains easter eggs to the sequels .plus , most of them are good.

I like to sit outside in my carport with a cooler full of beer and my laptop (with speakers) and watch movies when the weather is nice. It is a lot less effort than bringing out a larger TV and DVD player. Movies were meant to be watched outside in my opinion. A friend does have all the DVDs of each Halloween movie and have already asked to borrow them. I will definitely be watching them all again (not necessarily in one sitting though) within the next week or three.
   I have seen them all before... but it has been years since I watched any of the later movies. I only feel that part 1 and 2 gave a definitive ending for Michael. I do not really dislike any of the other movies at all, I just think they could have been done better.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I like to sit outside in my carport with a cooler full of beer and my laptop (with speakers) and watch movies when the weather is nice. It is a lot less effort than bringing out a larger TV and DVD player. Movies were meant to be watched outside in my opinion. A friend does have all the DVDs of each Halloween movie and have already asked to borrow them. I will definitely be watching them all again (not necessarily in one sitting though) within the next week or three.
   I have seen them all before... but it has been years since I watched any of the later movies. I only feel that part 1 and 2 gave a definitive ending for Michael. I do not really dislike any of the other movies at all, I just think they could have been done better.

H20 was a fantastic ending as a trilogy. You'll see why I said this when you watch Part 8...…...

• Thanks 1

I'm disappointed that they are ignoring Part 2 as well (and H2O as the story set up was great in that ... though Michael's mask and the film's ending was pretty poor).

... but I don't think you can explain away the ignoring. Michael got blown up at the end of Part 2, so I don't know how this new film would be able to ignore that fact and still have that fact in existence.

I'm assuming they are removing Part 2 onwards from canon because the Laurie is Michael's sister twist was pretty dire and having Michael survive all these deaths makes him unrealistic and, to some, less scary as a result.  I'm ok with accepting this is a new Part 2 providing its a decent movie.

On 6/14/2018 at 7:07 PM, Ahab said:

I find watching dark horror films in sunny conditions pretty impossible, even more so off of a laptop ... much easier to see what's happening on screen after dark.

3 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

I find watching dark horror films in sunny conditions pretty impossible, even more so off of a laptop ... much easier to see what's happening on screen after dark.

It is impossible to watch a laptop or flat screen of any kind outside when the sun is up.... once it goes down, its a different story.

I have been watching movies with a TV & DVD player (or laptop) outside for many years... and lived in many different places over that time. Each new home I lived in, the neighbors were wondering what I was doing. The moment they discovered I was watching movies outside, each one of my neighbors started to pull their TVs outside at night during the summer months. Some would watch their favorite tv shows, others would watch their favorite movies. Personally, I never bothered running the cable outside... it reeks of effort.
   Some of them did not realize that they would not be able to see their TV screen very well or at all while the sun was up. I actually had to explain to them why it worked this way... and I could never understand why it would need to be explained to anybody... but some people just don't think much.
   When you have good wi fi outside... you can still watch youtube, Netflix or whatever your favorite streaming service may be.
   Its just a good reason to sit outside for me... and I like watching movies.... so doing it outside was just a good idea... with a cooler full of beer beside me or not. I have always been nocturnal anyway.

On 6/13/2018 at 10:57 AM, Rexfellis said:

I believe that Danielle Harris probably would have been a no-brainer casting choice, had she not starred in the Zombie re-makes. Maybe they thought it would confuse too many people. I would have loved to see her in this too. I am not taking away anything from Judy Greer. I'm sure she will do a fine job. I just believe that Danielle had earned the right over the years.

She was excellent in Pts 4 & 5, and the idiot that refused her meager request for $5 grand to be in 6 should have been drawn and quartered. Either way, I am looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. But, I am going in with tempered expectations. This is one of my favorite horror franchises, and I hope this entry shows the proper respect.

Harris will never see another Halloween movie again. Even though she was in Zombies Halloween movies that was his casting choice, she bad mouthed part 6 when she told people she refused to do it, first she said they weren't going to pay her enough and then she said after the role went to someone else and they didn't up her salary as she wanted, that the script was terrible and she didn't do it for that reason.  Who knows for sure...it's a she said studio said situation, Zombie was a fan and she was cast in his movies for that reason for his fandom of her in 4 and 5.  Now that he is out she will not see anymore Halloween movies, she was never even an option, prolly a little chuckle came from the heads of everything at the studios if her name was even mentioned during the process of casting etc.

The way I see it, there's six timelines in the Halloween series:

Timeline 1- Consists of the first two movies. Michael burns to death in the hospital along with Loomis and Laurie Strode survives into ambiguity. 

Timeline 2- Consists only of Season of the Witch.

Timeline 3- Consists of Halloween 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6

Timeline 4- Consists of Halloween 1, 2, H20, and Resurrection

Timeline 5- Consists of Rob Zombie's Halloween 1 and 2

Timeline 6- Consists of Halloween 1 and Halloween 2018

Personally, I would've liked for the 6th and most recent timeline to have been made up of Halloween 1, 2, and the new one, but it's just the first one :( 

EDIT: On a very important side note, here's a legitimate question I have: If Michael was taken into custody after he fell off the balcony, where did they find him and how did he survive? Did he put up a fight? Did he use a bullet proof vest? Is he still supernatural and can't die? 

i like the idea that it all ended after the first, michael would have crawled away and try to stop his bleeding and survive rather than go after Laurie again, makes it more realistic this way to me

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, Ahab said:

It is impossible to watch a laptop or flat screen of any kind outside when the sun is up.... once it goes down, its a different story.

I have been watching movies with a TV & DVD player (or laptop) outside for many years... and lived in many different places over that time. Each new home I lived in, the neighbors were wondering what I was doing. The moment they discovered I was watching movies outside, each one of my neighbors started to pull their TVs outside at night during the summer months. Some would watch their favorite tv shows, others would watch their favorite movies. Personally, I never bothered running the cable outside... it reeks of effort.
   Some of them did not realize that they would not be able to see their TV screen very well or at all while the sun was up. I actually had to explain to them why it worked this way... and I could never understand why it would need to be explained to anybody... but some people just don't think much.
   When you have good wi fi outside... you can still watch youtube, Netflix or whatever your favorite streaming service may be.
   Its just a good reason to sit outside for me... and I like watching movies.... so doing it outside was just a good idea... with a cooler full of beer beside me or not. I have always been nocturnal anyway.

Ahhhh, that makes sense :-)

I'm an 'after dark' person myself, so this sounds right up my street. Unfortunately in the UK the weather can be a bit rubbish so the number of evenings I could do this would be limited, but I might give it a try.

I went camping a couple of years ago and took the original Friday the 13th with me ... we had a real good summer storm that night so me and the missus hid in our tent watching the film, with a backdrop of heavy rain, trees, a little lake ... it was fantastic!!

6 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Ahhhh, that makes sense ?

I'm an 'after dark' person myself, so this sounds right up my street. Unfortunately in the UK the weather can be a bit rubbish so the number of evenings I could do this would be limited, but I might give it a try.

I went camping a couple of years ago and took the original Friday the 13th with me ... we had a real good summer storm that night so me and the missus hid in our tent watching the film, with a backdrop of heavy rain, trees, a little lake ... it was fantastic!!

A friend of mine just got a 62" projection screen TV that he sets up outside to play video games with and watch movies at night... It is an awesome setup... I may have to pay him a visit in the near future with a case of beer. 
   I have a carport to sit in with my setup, so unless there is heavy wind with the rain, I am still alright out there.

I'm curious to see how this movie ends. I would love to see an ending similar to Logan. Have it end with Michael and Laurie in a final showdown, Michael in this situation would be X-24 and Laurie would be Wolverine (not literally, but you get what I mean. I hope?) and Michael shoves Laurie through some spikes. As Laurie is dying and Michael is about to finish her the rest of the way off, Laurie's daughter pops up behind Michael and blows his brains out. That would be a grisly, climatic ending to me. Then have it mimick the breathing scene from the end of the first movie after Michael gets shot, only this time it's dead silent and we just see different exposition shots of Haddonfield with the wind blowing.

5 hours ago, deathbat96777 said:

I'm curious to see how this movie ends. I would love to see an ending similar to Logan. Have it end with Michael and Laurie in a final showdown, Michael in this situation would be X-24 and Laurie would be Wolverine (not literally, but you get what I mean. I hope?) and Michael shoves Laurie through some spikes. As Laurie is dying and Michael is about to finish her the rest of the way off, Laurie's daughter pops up behind Michael and blows his brains out. That would be a grisly, climatic ending to me. Then have it mimick the breathing scene from the end of the first movie after Michael gets shot, only this time it's dead silent and we just see different exposition shots of Haddonfield with the wind blowing.

I think they will be killing Laurie off for sure ... whether they 'kill' Michael as well depends on whether the studio are hoping this will launch new sequels, which I assume they will be ... money to be made and all that.

Depends on how much input Carpenter has been allowed. I reckon if he had his way he'd kill Michael off for good. But then they might do it in a way where its possible that he could survive just to keep both parties happy ... shot in the chest, so if they do another film it could be argued he lived, but if they don't do another film it could be argued he died.