Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Corkenstein

Meanwhile on Reddit pt.3

Recommended Posts

Granted the picture in question on Reddit was from an article a year ago but it does say future content would not be effected. Not sure what changed since this is still the same lawsuit(to my knowledge) and there hasn't seemed to be a cease and desist letter sent out(or at least one made known) so could this be a scapegoat to wash their hands clean of the project?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything is possible, brother.  We won't know for sure.  It would seem that something has changed, but only those involved know for sure at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we need multiple versions of this thread, I didn't think it was that important. It's a year old and speculation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is the lawyer for Horror Inc. full of shit?  A liar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, zmccain said:

So is the lawyer for Horror Inc. full of shit?  A liar?

Arent all lawyers? BOOOONG!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

So we need multiple versions of this thread, I didn't think it was that important. It's a year old and speculation.

Well for one, I didnt see it posted here and since not everyone is on Reddit, I posted it here.  Secondly, it's not speculation since the actual lawyer is saying it wouldn't effect anything then, now, and in the future. It's coming straight from the source.  Even if it is a year old, it's fair to draw questions from it.  

You might not like the narrative but it doesnt make it any less true, concerning, or questionable.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big Daddy J said:

All I've seen the Killer Puzzle guys say is that they are "affected."

 

http://forum.f13game.com/topic/20043-why-does-the-miller-lawsuit-affect-the-game-now/?page=2

this thread is probably something you should take the time to read.

 

edit - by speculation I meant the OP's conjecture about a C&D letter.

@Corkenstein

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corkenstein said:
 Not sure what changed since this is still the same lawsuit(to my knowledge) and there hasn't seemed to be a cease and desist letter sent out(or at least one made known) so could this be a scapegoat to wash their hands clean of the project?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/203

Read what the law says on the topic. Victor is angling for control based on the claim he was not work for hire.

"In the case of any work other than a work made for hire, the exclusive or nonexclusive grant of a transfer or license of copyright or of any right under a copyright, executed by the author on or after January 1, 1978, otherwise than by will, is subject to termination under the following conditions...."

"Termination of the grant may be effected at any time during a period of five years beginning at the end of thirty-five years from the date of execution of the grant "

Do the math on when Victor filed the lawsuit and how long it has been since F13 was originally released. If Victor wins, GUN is screwed. They cannot put anything past the date of the grant because they don't know the status of who will control it. The previous statements by Horror Inc's lawyers was perfectly valid AT THAT TIME. We are a year down the road and there is no legal decision. GUN cannot and won't work past that grant on "derivative" content so they are not on the wrong side of Victor should he win. They would essentially be handing the game over to him. If they stop now, they are "safe" under the existing copyright law that Victor is using against Sean Cunningham. This is not related to a cease and desist...it is insulation against the fallout of the lawsuit should Victor win. 

" A derivative work prepared under authority of the grant before its termination may continue to be utilized under the terms of the grant after its termination, but this privilege does not extend to the preparation after the termination of other derivative works based upon the copyrighted work covered by the terminated grant."

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alkavian said:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/203

Read what the law says on the topic. Victor is angling for control based on the claim he was not work for hire.

"In the case of any work other than a work made for hire, the exclusive or nonexclusive grant of a transfer or license of copyright or of any right under a copyright, executed by the author on or after January 1, 1978, otherwise than by will, is subject to termination under the following conditions...."

"Termination of the grant may be effected at any time during a period of five years beginning at the end of thirty-five years from the date of execution of the grant "

Do the math on when Victor filed the lawsuit and how long it has been since F13 was originally released. If Victor wins, GUN is screwed. They cannot put anything past the date of the grant because they don't know the status of who will control it. The previous statements by Horror Inc's lawyers was perfectly valid AT THAT TIME. We are a year down the road and there is no legal decision. GUN cannot and won't work past that grant on "derivative" content so they are not on the wrong side of Victor should he win. They would essentially be handing the game over to him. If they stop now, they are "safe" under the existing copyright law that Victor is using against Sean Cunningham. This is not related to a cease and desist...it is insulation against the fallout of the lawsuit should Victor win. 

" A derivative work prepared under authority of the grant before its termination may continue to be utilized under the terms of the grant after its termination, but this privilege does not extend to the preparation after the termination of other derivative works based upon the copyrighted work covered by the terminated grant."

 

Please no, He Whom Shall Not Be Named will catch wind of this and appear in this thread and the vicious cycle will continue....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Nickypoolicious said:

Please no, He Whom Shall Not Be Named will catch wind of this and appear in this thread and the vicious cycle will continue....

Hey, all!! Just poking in to say hello to my buddy @Alkavian. Good job, homie. As always, you're saying good stuff!! Keep up the good work!! 🤘😜🤘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BrokenFattHardy said:

Hey, all!! Just poking in to say hello to my buddy @Alkavian. Good job, homie. As always, you're saying good stuff!! Keep up the good work!! 🤘😜🤘

I don't understand why I'm quoted in this, but salutations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alkavian said:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/203

Read what the law says on the topic. Victor is angling for control based on the claim he was not work for hire.

"In the case of any work other than a work made for hire, the exclusive or nonexclusive grant of a transfer or license of copyright or of any right under a copyright, executed by the author on or after January 1, 1978, otherwise than by will, is subject to termination under the following conditions...."

"Termination of the grant may be effected at any time during a period of five years beginning at the end of thirty-five years from the date of execution of the grant "

Do the math on when Victor filed the lawsuit and how long it has been since F13 was originally released. If Victor wins, GUN is screwed. They cannot put anything past the date of the grant because they don't know the status of who will control it. The previous statements by Horror Inc's lawyers was perfectly valid AT THAT TIME. We are a year down the road and there is no legal decision. GUN cannot and won't work past that grant on "derivative" content so they are not on the wrong side of Victor should he win. They would essentially be handing the game over to him. If they stop now, they are "safe" under the existing copyright law that Victor is using against Sean Cunningham. This is not related to a cease and desist...it is insulation against the fallout of the lawsuit should Victor win. 

" A derivative work prepared under authority of the grant before its termination may continue to be utilized under the terms of the grant after its termination, but this privilege does not extend to the preparation after the termination of other derivative works based upon the copyrighted work covered by the terminated grant."

 

Finally, something sane and informative that isn't a conspiracy theory. Good job sir. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kohagan said:

Finally, something sane and informative that isn't a conspiracy theory. Good job sir. 

You'd be surprised how many people don't buy evidence and logic, they just interpret things how they want to and just assume they're right and everyone else is wrong. Must be interesting to be in their head...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Nickypoolicious said:

You'd be surprised how many people don't buy evidence and logic, they just interpret things how they want to and just assume they're right and everyone else is wrong. Must be interesting to be in their head...

Some people like to be right all the time. I don't envy that bunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

Some people like to be right all the time. I don't envy that bunch.

I would give this a like, but I must have reached my reaction quota. I agree with you though, don't envy them at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna have to lock this, there's already threads on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×