Ralph_E_Fresh

Wouldn't a Cease and Desist be issued?

If this game was infinging rights, there would have been a Cease and Desist, so why would they stop releasing new content? There's no legal ramifications unless they violate a cease and desist.

So there's no reason to stop releasing content until there is a cease and desist.

Maybe they have already gotten one.  If so, I'm sure they probably couldn't discuss it.  Maybe it is to avoid any further issues.  Maybe it is just to protect themselves as a company.  Who knows.  

6 minutes ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

Maybe they have already gotten one.  If so, I'm sure they probably couldn't discuss it.  Maybe it is to avoid any further issues.  Maybe it is just to protect themselves as a company.  Who knows.  

You could discuss or make it public knowledge about a cease and desist.

I don't know this is looking bad on the devs, they should tell us if there's one because if there isn't they can still release future content.

1 minute ago, Ralph_E_Fresh said:

You could discuss or make it public knowledge about a cease and desist.

I don't know this is looking bad on the devs, they should tell us if there's one because if there isn't they can still release future content.

You may be right about the cease and desist.  Idk.  I'm not a lawyer so I won't pretend I know.  Maybe this is their way of separating themselves from it from a business standpoint.  Idk, man.  I really don't know what to tell ya.  It sucks for sure.  It really does.  Time will tell.  Maybe Gun has been instructed not to say anything yet.  Just spitballing ideas here.  I'm certainly not trying to defend them.  They don't need me for that.  

1 minute ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

You may be right about the cease and desist.  Idk.  I'm not a lawyer so I won't pretend I know.  Maybe this is their way of separating themselves from it from a business standpoint.  Idk, man.  I really don't know what to tell ya.  It sucks for sure.  It really does.  Time will tell.  Maybe Gun has been instructed not to say anything yet.  Just spitballing ideas here.  I'm certainly not trying to defend them.  They don't need me for that.  

A cease and desist is what is given when you infinge a copyright, that's what's given before a lawsuit, if they didn't get a cease and desist then they can still work on the game.

Just now, F134Ever86 said:

Like the developers need any more problems.

Unless there's a cease and desist then there isn't a problem and they can still release content, if there's no cease and desist or any court order towards the game and it's development then frankly this is a lie

It could be to prevent a letter from being sent that forces them to shut down the servers. You should relax, this doesn't help.

• Like 2

Unless there's a cease and desist then there isn't a problem and they can still release content, if there's no cease and desist or any court order towards the game and it's development then frankly this is a lie

If they released content they would get a cease and desist and hefty fines for infringement. Problems they dont need.

5 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

It could be to prevent a letter from being sent that forces them to shut down the servers. You should relax, this doesn't help.

Yeah but what prompts them now suddenly? The only way they could not release future content is if there is a cease and desist.

Otherwise nothing's changed and this is quite frankly a lie. I'm not saying they're lying, hence why I ask if there's a cease and desist

I dont know but to be frank, its not worth any of us getting worked up over. Enjoy what we have and wait for something to change. E3 just ended and were about to get a bunch of really great games.

Look I'm trying very hard to be nice, so I'll explain. Currently I assume that if any new content is released, then they may get a cease and desist letter, if that happens. Then they turn off the servers and you don't get to play anything but bots, oh and you lose almost everything you've unlocked because that is stored on their servers. If and when a patch is released that fixes that, then it will be a lesser blow. But why the hell would you want it to happen? 

5 minutes ago, Ralph_E_Fresh said:

Yeah but what prompts them now suddenly? The only way they could not release future content is if there is a cease and desist.

Otherwise nothing's changed and this is quite frankly a lie. I'm not saying they're lying, hence why I ask if there's a cease and desist

It has nothing to do with a cease and desist. It has to do with copyright law and conditions of termination and effects of termination. GUN is trying not be on the wrong side of the copyright law (should Miller win).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/203

• Like 1

It's up to whether there's a cease and desist, if there isn't then they lied as there would be nothing preventing them from releasing it(a cease and desist is what prevents it)

The only way they would know they cant issue new content for the game is via a cease and desist.

Further more if there is a cease and desist that prevents them ftom creating copyrighted content, then the game would be stop completely, as a cease and desist entails not only ceasing/stop infingement but desisting infingement, meaning not letting the game continue as it is, so if that was the case the servers would be offline and games removed from stores

8 hours ago, Alkavian said:

It has nothing to do with a cease and desist. It has to do with copyright law and conditions of termination and effects of termination. GUN is trying not be on the wrong side of the copyright law (should Miller win).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/203

And if they're on the wrong side of the law a cease and desist would've been issued already, simply for the game being online.

Copyrighted content is copyrighted content, if they have a problem with future content then thyere gonna have a problem with current content, if the game was infringing a cease and desist would've been issued long ago, and the game would go offline until the lawsuit finishes. 

They're in the same position they were in past year, unless there is a cease and desist, if not then there's no legality stopping them.

31 minutes ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

The members of Gun and Illfonic will get the complete specifics. The fans get to know that a legal matter has tied their hands on development at the moment. That's about all we should expect.

Rather than pushing the issue, let's let Gun and/or Illfonic decide what they can and/or will tell us.

1 minute ago, Fair Play said:

The members of Gun and Illfonic will get the complete specifics. The fans get to know that a legal matter has tied their hands on development at the moment. That's about all we should expect.

Rather than pushing the issue, let's let Gun and/or Illfonic decide what they can and/or will tell us.

Exactly.  They will tell us if they can and if they decide to.  They don't have to tell us anything really.  They don't even have to say when the servers will close.  We could just log in one day to see it down.  It's up to them. 

7 hours ago, Fair Play said:

We need to address this because if there's no cease and desist they can release content.

Also begs the question, if they can't release new content due to copyright infringement, then they would be probhbited from keeping games online and on sale, since that would be an even worse infringement

7 hours ago, F134Ever86 said:

They havent infringed yet so why would there be a cease and desist?

If future content is infringement then anything already in the game is infringement, an even worse infringement as it's for sale, so not only would they be prevented from making new copyrighted content, they would be prevented from having current copyrighted content in stores/on sale and online

Just now, Ralph_E_Fresh said:

They're in the same position they were in past year, unless there is a cease and desist, if not then there's no legality stopping them.

No. Read what the law says.

"A derivative work prepared under authority of the grant before its termination may continue to be utilized under the terms of the grant after its termination, but this privilege does not extend to the preparation after the termination of other derivative works based upon the copyrighted work covered by the terminated grant. "

This is purely related to the copyright argument being used by Victor Miller claiming he was not doing work for hire under the writer's guild.

2 minutes ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

Exactly.  They will tell us if they can and if they decide to.  They don't have to tell us anything really.  They don't even have to say when the servers will close.  We could just log in one day to see it down.  It's up to them. 

You are right. If and when the servers shut down, they don't have to say anything. I trust they'll be kind enough to do so though.

We need to address this because if there's no cease and desist they can release content.

Also begs the question, if they can't release new content due to copyright infringement, then they would be probhbited from keeping games online and on sale, since that would be an even worse infringement

Gun and Illfonic are the ones who are affected by the legal matter, not us. If they decide to share any more about the matter, it's up to them. If they don't, we should respect that and not push the issue further. Besides, harassing them about the issue isn't gonna make content start pumping out.

Ralph if someone infringes a copyright they can claim damages I believe.  The cease and desist language is to stop future use but you can always sue for illegal prior use.  That said I still think they’re using this as an excuse.  I haven’t really trusted them since 2017 based on failure to meet or temper expectations in my personal opinion.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

Gun and Illfonic are the ones who are affected by the legal matter, not us.

Every fan of the franchise is being affected. We were supposed to have a movie last year and now the game many of us have dreamed about for decades will be incomplete.

1 minute ago, F134Ever86 said:

Every fan of the franchise is being affected. We were supposed to have a movie last year and now the game many of us have dreamed about for decades will be incomplete.

We may all be affected by the situation, but Gun and Illfonic will get the specifics about the legal matter. We'll get as little or as much as they want us to know. No amount of pushing them for information is gonna change that.