Jump to content
Ralph_E_Fresh

Wouldn't a Cease and Desist be issued?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, TheRaven said:

I respect your opinion, but I have mine as well. Not saying we are being lied to, I just think it brings up some red flags due to the timing of it and the eagerness to CANCEL all future content.

The content is only cancelled until such a time as this lawsuit is done with and behind us. Once Sean Cunningham wins (and he likely will), business will go on as usual with the game and anything else involving the franchise. The reason they say future content is cancelled is because of this, it doesn't mean it's permanent. Once the lawsuit is done with, GUN/Illfonic can go back to making new things for this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Nickypoolicious said:

Incorrect. Hell, even Friday the 13th: Killer Puzzles on Steam and the mobile versions are also affected by the lawsuit and can't release future content. But go ahead and keep living in this fantasy of yours.

No, I'm actually correct, they can continue to make content under that law.

A cease and desist is where they wouldn't even if they're in the right, nobody argued against that, hence the thread topic as that's the only way they would be legally prevented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ralph_E_Fresh said:

No, I'm actually correct, they can continue to make content under that law.

A cease and desist is where they wouldn't even if they're in the right, nobody argued against that, hence the thread topic as that's the only way they would be legally prevented.

K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not going to attempt to convince Ralph of anything. As is made plain by his obsession with a phone spawn on the Jarvis house there's no point. To anyone else who actually think he's right with his...legal interpretations, let me ask one simple question. Do you honestly believe that Gun didn't run this by their legal team before taking such a drastic step as to end future content? Can you possibly conceive of something that would make them do that? Why in the hell would they have bothered to make a new engine along with all the content that came with it if they were going to say well that's good enough? The obvious answer is they wouldn't. Even is you are completely jaded towards Gun, do you actually think they'd leave money on the table like that? They wouldn't unless they were forced to. Ralph can make is half baked legal interpretations all he wants, but he's pulling out the interpretation he wants. Bottom line they consulted their lawyers and were advised of the action that wouldn't leave them liable. If you believe otherwise you are deluding yourself. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's worry less about a cease and desist that may or may not have happened, and focus more on playing the game while we can.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thrawn3054 said:

.Do you honestly believe that Gun didn't run this by their legal team before taking such a drastic step as to end future content? Can you possibly conceive of something that would make them do that? Why in the hell would they have bothered to make a new engine along with all the content that came with it if they were going to say well that's good enough? The obvious answer is they wouldn't. Even is you are completely jaded towards Gun, do you actually think they'd leave money on the table like that?

The Engine upgrade was for dedicated servers which never had anything to do with content. Every time they have released major content it has broken the game further and they’ve have had to spend more money fixing the problems. This could be a way for them to fix the current problems and move on from the game without doing more damage to thier reputation by blaming it on the lawsuit. It’s the timing of the situation that bothers me.

 

5 hours ago, Nickypoolicious said:

The content is only cancelled until such a time as this lawsuit is done with and behind us. Once Sean Cunningham wins (and he likely will), business will go on as usual with the game and anything else involving the franchise. The reason they say future content is cancelled is because of this, it doesn't mean it's permanent. Once the lawsuit is done with, GUN/Illfonic can go back to making new things for this game.

Look at the title of thier statement, “End of Content, No Future Content” Sounds to me like a done deal, or they think it is a done deal. The words “ End of” and “No” pretty much means it’s not happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ralph you're not a lawyer, non of us are. If they could release content they would. Just take it at face value, it's the reason the new f13 movie got shut down a few weeks before filming. Don't try to unearth a conspiracy that isn't there mate. 

I'm sure that there has been advisement just recently after a legal development on it all.  It makes sense, as a business owner you just don't fuck with that. 

I don't believe the rumour, 'nothing has changed legally in 11 months' that  I've seen bandied about.What kind lawyers are these? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New content won´t save the game anyways. No matter if lawsuit or not. This game is broken and new content is the last thing it needs right now. If it should have any chance then a few months of bugfixing only it is. Including proper public beta testing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with this entire thing and why many people, including myself, where very suspicious was the timing coinciding with the game upgrade being a failure, the failed patch, and the knowledge that the devs are pursuing another game at this time.  Plus the added fact that there is some key component to the legal battle that no-one seems to be making very clear which again ties into the timing issue.  Any fan of Friday the 13th knows that this legal battle has been going on for years but the decision to halt new content at this very specific point in time is what fuels the suspicion.

The more I read though I'm thinking that the entire thing may just be a failure of communication on Gun's part.  It just seemed to come out of the blue.  Which lead to many unanswered questions which fueled the suspicion even more.

But honestly?  I think this entire thing works in the devs favor.  They don't have to work as hard as they would have to get the new content out now.  Now they say they can focus on patches and the servers.  We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thrawn3054 said:

I'm not going to attempt to convince Ralph of anything. As is made plain by his obsession with a phone spawn on the Jarvis house there's no point. To anyone else who actually think he's right with his...legal interpretations, let me ask one simple question. Do you honestly believe that Gun didn't run this by their legal team before taking such a drastic step as to end future content? Can you possibly conceive of something that would make them do that? Why in the hell would they have bothered to make a new engine along with all the content that came with it if they were going to say well that's good enough? The obvious answer is they wouldn't. Even is you are completely jaded towards Gun, do you actually think they'd leave money on the table like that? They wouldn't unless they were forced to. Ralph can make is half baked legal interpretations all he wants, but he's pulling out the interpretation he wants. Bottom line they consulted their lawyers and were advised of the action that wouldn't leave them liable. If you believe otherwise you are deluding yourself. 

If you believe that they would stop releasing content without any court order then you're not understanding

You don't automatically sue, you get warned to cease and desist, unless they have a cease and desist there's no argument.

Lawyers would have no way of warning someone unless there was a cease and desist.

3 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

New content won´t save the game anyways. No matter if lawsuit or not. This game is broken and new content is the last thing it needs right now. If it should have any chance then a few months of bugfixing only it is. Including proper public beta testing.

New content is what keeps the game going, if you think bug fixes will make everyone happy and pretend people won't get burnt out(especially when dedicated servers come out and there's continuous uninterrupted gameplay) with the same repetitive content then you are mistaken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ralph_E_Fresh said:

If you believe that they would stop releasing content without any court order then you're not understanding

You don't automatically sue, you get warned to cease and desist, unless they have a cease and desist there's no argument.

Lawyers would have no way of warning someone unless there was a cease and desist.

Ralph, just because you watched a few episodes of law and order doesn't make you an expert.

Let's be honest you don't know anything about the case except snippets of info in websites like the rest of us. The rest is pure speculation. 

There's a reason people study law for years, so you don't just start making up assumptions on what you think should happen. 

Just because Gun are connected to the friday the 13th franchise doesn't mean they know all the details about the legal battle. That's in the hands of cunnigham and miller's lawyers. 

A franchisee owner wouldbt know every single issue that's going on with the franchisor if they were involved in legal action. They'd find out on a need to know basis. 

Its not hard to understand. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kohagan said:

Ralph, just because you watched a few episodes of law and order doesn't make you an expert.

Don't really watch law and order.

I'm no lawyer but when there's something clearly stated in law then it's clearly stated, denying a fact presented because I'm not a lawyer is an appeal to authority fallacy, I don't need to be a lawyer to point out something.

Unless the devs get an order directed to them, then they can continue future content.

 

If that jason toy is released in September then I will believe this as a lie, as that is future content as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ralph_E_Fresh said:

Unless the devs get an order directed to them, then they can continue future content.

Accept that they can't without opening themselves to further lawsuits by Miller. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Accept that they can't without opening themselves to further lawsuits by Miller. 

Shhhh, he doesn't and will never understand. Let him live in his own little world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nickypoolicious said:

Shhhh, he doesn't and will never understand. Let him live in his own little world.

Don't you shush me....

Your right of course, I have no more reactions today, but that did make me laugh.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand that people are upset, however there are plenty of already open threads to discuss the subject. Speculation on legal matters does no one justice and frankly unless you were on the team, then you don't know what the situation is. Copyright law is pretty tricky and can get very messy, very quickly. Trust me, if there was a way around it this would not be the current situation. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×