Sign in to follow this  
PowellCampsNAKED

Are we better off without Dedicated Servers?

Ok hope this never happens but just say things get really really in a bad spot where Gun can’t afford to keep the servers up and running with the dedicated servers... would we be better off the way it is now without dedicated servers so that we can host our own games and always play with friends forever in private matches? 

If this is how it works?!?  If not is there a way guncan create a system that we can?

• Like 1

I would be fine with dedicated servers being cancelled, if it meant that the existing servers stayed up and running. However, this is probably because I am always hosting public matches, backing out until I become the host. For the others, I can understand their need for dedicated servers, but the current servers are better than no servers at all.

I think we would be better off without them at this point.  Have a few hosts quit or not be able to play at all?   Think I'll take the hosts quitting. 

I still want dedicated servers because im sick to death of 90% of matches i get ending in a host quit because the person i killed was bitch baby. If the game is going to die at some point at least give us this.

Never thought I'd even think the possibility but you could be right. 

10 hours ago, PowellCampsNAKED said:

Ok hope this never happens but just say things get really really in a bad spot where Gun can’t afford to keep the servers up and running with the dedicated servers... would we be better off the way it is now without dedicated servers so that we can host our own games and always play with friends forever in private matches? 

If this is how it works?!?  If not is there a way guncan create a system that we can?

Even if the game remained peer to peer as it is now, there still needs to be a server to connect to that organizes lobbies and stores player information. When that server isn't maintained then there will no online play anyway. 

The only options are to fix offline mode so that it can be played without a connection to the internet. Or to release the server code so that the community could maintain it's own servers and keep the online game alive.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

pier to Pier

This mental image made me laugh for some reason. :)

(I'm not a grammar or spelling nazi, I know what you meant)

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

Even if the game remained pier to Pier as it is now, there still needs to be a server to connect to that organizes lobbies and stores player information. When that server isn't maintained then there will no online play anyway. 

The only options are to fix offline mode so that it can be played without a connection to the internet. Or to release the server code so that the community could maintain it's own servers and keep the online game alive.

Your solution is great for PC, not really feasible for consoles, where the dedicated servers are needed. Not to mention costs of maintaining servers by player fanbase is probably not ideally sustainable.

Xbox used to offer free dedicated servers for companies. I dont know if they still do. 

I dont think dedicated servers will ever come out. If they actually have a third party working on delivering dedicated servers for this long and never got them, either they went to the lowest bidder that is also in over their heads, or they are getting screwed. Its been a year of talk about them, and at least half that time they said they have an outside company working on them. If they actually have been working on them then deliver them. The console fanbase has put up with a year of bullshit and feels they have colon cancer from a year's worth of smoke being blown up our asses.

From a more logical standpoint, at this point its frivolous because who knows what will happen to the life of the game in a month or two, period. 

I personally still want them so if I feel like playing in QP and I am wiping the lobby, people arent ruining my achievement progress. 

Only way I would say otherwise is if they directly came out and asked the community "with P2P we can run another x amount of months. With dedicated servers we can run <x amount of months". 

• Like 1

This is a volatile subject... I'm not sure what to say here lol

We have now reached the point where someone is suggesting no dedicated servers....

It got wild around here,fast.

I don't think they were ever coming anyway,so at this point it probably doesn't matter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Crispen_Glover said:

I still want dedicated servers because im sick to death of 90% of matches i get ending in a host quit because the person i killed was bitch baby. If the game is going to die at some point at least give us this.

Yeah but if it can stay live forever the way it is I would rather gather my friends and host my own lobby

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thatdudescott said:

We have now reached the point where someone is suggesting no dedicated servers....

It got wild around here,fast.

I don't think they were ever coming anyway,so at this point it probably doesn't matter.

I 100% always and do want them but now with my new thought I would say no to them if it means keep the online game forever 

They was promised. Bring them!

They said they was going to add dedicated servers and keep enough staff to support them. For those worried about Gun running out of money to support them. They could easily change the code back to peer to peer connection if that ever happened. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pro5pt0 said:

They was promised. Bring them!

They said they was going to add dedicated servers and keep enough staff to support them. For those worried about Gun running out of money to support them. They could easily change the code back to peer to peer connection if that ever happened. 

True but easily?!

I would much rather see them, at this point, roll out a client side save patch and peer to peer hosting. They'd be pushing the game in to a playable limbo while keeping costs down.

There's no reason that after the lawsuit is done, if they legally can, revitalize the game and bring it out of limbo.

On 6/13/2018 at 8:47 AM, TheHansonGoons said:

I dont think dedicated servers will ever come out. If they actually have a third party working on delivering dedicated servers for this long and never got them, either they went to the lowest bidder that is also in over their heads, or they are getting screwed. Its been a year of talk about them, and at least half that time they said they have an outside company working on them. If they actually have been working on them then deliver them. The console fanbase has put up with a year of bullshit and feels they have colon cancer from a year's worth of smoke being blown up our asses.

Yes!  Give us more! 

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2018 at 8:08 AM, AdmiralJT said:

Even if the game remained peer to peer as it is now, there still needs to be a server to connect to that organizes lobbies and stores player information. When that server isn't maintained then there will no online play anyway. 

Surely there must be a way to do it, there a quite a few games that are old as hell and you can still play online if you want, as long as they used peer to peer.. I could jump on my Xbox 360 and play WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 online, despite the fact that it's a game that came out late 2006 and the company that published it (THQ) is long out of business.

1 hour ago, Big Daddy J said:

Surely there must be a way to do it, there a quite a few games that are old as hell and you can still play online if you want, as long as they used peer to peer.. I could jump on my Xbox 360 and play WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 online, despite the fact that it's a game that came out late 2006 and the company that published it (THQ) is long out of business.

I'm not certain, and none of the clowns at gun or illfonic will give a straight answer, but I think that the dedicated servers that they are trying to get for consoles are owned and maintained by Microsoft and Sony. If I'm correct then the monthly fee for online access is what will keep those servers up, and they will be around as long as this generation of console is supported.

PC is another matter because gun/illfonic has to maintain the servers for PC and those can be turned off anytime.

It costs a lot of money to keep maintenance on servers, if they want to continue supporting the game. We're better off without them imo.