Jump to content
SirMang

Why does the Miller lawsuit affect the game now?

Recommended Posts

Just found an article from 11 months ago where Horror Inc. lawyer Robert Wyman stated that the Victor Miller claim "would have no impact on the current game distributed by Gun Media now or in the future." 

What changed in the 11 months since that statement was made?  I tried to do some research on my own but could not find anything to dispute the original claim that the lawsuit would have no effect on this game. 

https://gamerant.com/friday-the-13th-lawsuit-new-game/ 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best guess is there's a new injunction that now includes the game, or that Gun's lawyers have advised them to not push out content in case Miller wins, and they become liable for ignoring his termination notice he'd filed. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing has changed, this decision came from within Gunn, or their lawyers, don’t believe anything else,  the game is broke, in it’s worse state ever, it would be a good excuse to blame it on something else...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NytmereZ said:

Nothing has changed, this decision came from within Gunn, or their lawyers, don’t believe anything else,  the game is broke, in it’s worse state ever, it would be a good excuse to blame it on something else...

Got references? I'll wait...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, seriously is this the real reason we have been waiting so long on things and just not told?  I mean I have no clue that is why I am asking but if it is the truth and it could be proven that gun/illfonic knew about this ahead of time isn't that a little like fraud or something? Again not jumping to conclusions because I have no clue, love the game, but man I really hope they didn't know about this...I would be very upset and I believe the millions they sold too would be as well.  I guess we will all have to wait and see to get that answer.  They JUST released Victoria though the new counselor so I don't know how much merit this holds if any, I mean I know about the lawsuit, but they said the game was excluded, and who cares if he wins!  If they said the game was excluded then its excluded...right...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NytmereZ said:

Nothing has changed, this decision came from within Gunn, or their lawyers, don’t believe anything else,  the game is broke, in it’s worse state ever, it would be a good excuse to blame it on something else...

Don’t listen to this clown. He doesn’t have a single clue as to what he’s talking about. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ABS DESTROYER56 said:

Every body say out loud gun media and illfonic will win the lawsuite they will win it i know they will

 

do you know how long these court cases take?

 

and do you think they will support the game after again?

 

CM Punk said some means things on a podcast and got sued and that took over four years

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RadikalGamer said:

Wow, seriously is this the real reason we have been waiting so long on things and just not told?  I mean I have no clue that is why I am asking but if it is the truth and it could be proven that gun/illfonic knew about this ahead of time isn't that a little like fraud or something? Again not jumping to conclusions because I have no clue, love the game, but man I really hope they didn't know about this...I would be very upset and I believe the millions they sold too would be as well.  I guess we will all have to wait and see to get that answer.  They JUST released Victoria though the new counselor so I don't know how much merit this holds if any, I mean I know about the lawsuit, but they said the game was excluded, and who cares if he wins!  If they said the game was excluded then its excluded...right...?

My assumption would be that maybe Miller caught wind of the game's financial success from last year and wants in on some of that hot action? So while it may not have been included before, he might have filed and injunction to include it now. From what I understand he basically just wants CREDIT for the character of Jason Voorhees and/or monetary compensations he feels owed to him. I don't think he'll win the lawsuit in any case, from what I've seen of the actual motions that have been filed that's available for public access, I think it'll end up being settled outside the courts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nickypoolicious said:

My assumption would be that maybe Miller caught wind of the game's financial success from last year and wants in on some of that hot action? So while it may not have been included before, he might have filed and injunction to include it now. From what I understand he basically just wants CREDIT for the character of Jason Voorhees and/or monetary compensations he feels owed to him. I don't think he'll win the lawsuit in any case, from what I've seen of the actual motions that have been filed that's available for public access, I think it'll end up being settled outside the courts.

Regardless....   http://www.f13game.com/news/end-of-content/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, John Wick said:

Don’t listen to this clown. He doesn’t have a single clue as to what he’s talking about. 

Exactly. All you arm chair lawyers coming out of the wood work acting like you know what's going on here. And of course, Gun is the big bad villain who all along purposely led you us down a garden path for months to fuck us. Enough of the speculative nonsense. It's a fucking legal order! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kohagan said:

Exactly. All you arm chair lawyers coming out of the wood work acting like you know what's going on here. And of course, Gun is the big bad villain who all along purposely led you us down a garden path for months to fuck us. Enough of the speculative nonsense. It's a fucking legal order! 

And I, for one, would know if I had been garden path fucked. I don't feel it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NytmereZ said:

Nothing has changed, this decision came from within Gunn, or their lawyers, don’t believe anything else,  the game is broke, in it’s worse state ever, it would be a good excuse to blame it on something else...

I want to say somehow meaner, but I don't feel like being banned again, so I'll just say that this "gentleman" has no idea what the hell he's talking about and should be completely ignored by one and all.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The doomsayers are definitely not helping anything. Funnily enough, they seem to be mostly assholes who feel like the game should just go ahead and keel over and die. Which, if that's how they genuinely feel, then why are they still commenting on the forums for said game? That's the million dollar question.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thrawn3054 said:

Best guess is there's a new injunction that now includes the game, or that Gun's lawyers have advised them to not push out content in case Miller wins, and they become liable for ignoring his termination notice he'd filed. 

This is the answer to your question here, no proof but the most logical explanation is almost always the case

 

This kind of crap is usually about as equally trashy as the "slip and fall" or "hot coffee" crap. almost 40 years go by nothing matters, a lawyer taps Miller on the shoulders and says hey we could make some money here in the current climate (game may have had nothing to do with it) could be anything related to the franchise but someone saw an opportunity and went for it. Hell the original work was what another decade from going public, copyright doesn't last forever. of course this is speculation but its basically ambulance chasing or "copyright" chasing.

Anyways they can rott in hell for this stuff, this is the part of the legal system that is broken. Did you know that you can get sued if even people who break into your house get injured due to something considered negligent.

Technology is effectively slowly killing a lot of copyright laws, the legal system is just behind the times.

Just more greed killing something good, how many times have we seen examples of greed ruining aspects of our lives... good old American spirit there....

 

2 hours ago, Nickypoolicious said:

The doomsayers are definitely not helping anything. Funnily enough, they seem to be mostly assholes who feel like the game should just go ahead and keel over and die. Which, if that's how they genuinely feel, then why are they still commenting on the forums for said game? That's the million dollar question.

I guess the logical question behind all of the crap they spew is, how long will they be able to continue to work on fixes and such as the money dries up? I do believe they have a lot of passion for the game and the community but at some point the towel will eventually get thrown in on this just like Microsoft dropping support for operating systems over 10 years old. this was just a blow that might bring that on sooner rather than later.

and no, this is the last thing I want to see happen, for all of the problems with the game it is still the one I like the most of the 239 installed on my xbox one and it gets 90% of the playtime.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

My only question is, Why did Miller wait 37 years to file a lawsuit?

Money. It's about the money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are already fucking about with Victor Miller's wikipedia page. :)

Don't think this guy will be making any appearances at conventions anytime soon...unless he's in a set of stocks for people to throw shit at. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its a shame the statute of limitations doesn't apply here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The horror convention thing must've dried up for Victor Miller.  I don't think he'll be appearing at any more of those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game isn’t a party to the lawsuit.  So there isn’t a court ordered injunction.  At most Victors lawyers sent the game a cease and desist letter.  

They are playing it middle of the road.   If they truly lost the IP they would have to shut down the game.   They just made a business decision to not spend too much on new content development. 

The fact that gun tried to skirt the issue by acting like new content was on hold solely because the game’s bugs are out of control was disingenuous.  

If the lawsuit goes in too long, and the game stops making money, it’s uncertain how long they will spend their massive profits keeping the game running.  They will start running red on the game.   I don’t put it past them to fix some bugs and call it a day, or even shut down the game at some point. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AshTray900 no multi-posting please. I've merged your posts into one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×