Thatguyinktown

Cunningham v Miller lawsuit, explained.

Just a thought: if this lawsuit is uncertain, and the possible future owner of the license could possibly not invest any interest in this game, and take financial rights to all game assets than it is smart to not release anymore content... they would be in the same boat as Miller (allegedly and unofficialy), someone would take ownership of the game and everything they've created. 

I am unbiased after reading all court docs. It's a very complex case however they may be delaying content (regardless of court deadlines) until they are sure who owns the license.  If it's Cunningham, proceed as planned, if Miller... at least gauge his interest before just handing over hard work. 

They aren't abandoning the game lol... they are being smart with their creation. I could elaborate more on my opinion (which is solid) but will not here as it could hurt the creators if I'm right. Just remember this was a massively successful kickstarter game born of love for F13. Stop asking for answers that could implicate them legally. Duh

All the links to FULL court documents are linked all over. Quit asking Gun to explain because you're too lazy to read! They cannot discuss an ongoing legal battle. I'm no lawyer but even I know that. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 12:14 AM, Smitty_Voorhees said:

The Copyright Act is intended to help artists who sold away their rights. Miller was hired to write the script -- he didn't write it and then take it to Cunningham. This would be like if the guy who designed the McDonald's logo claimed it as a work of art after 35 years and tried to rescind the copyright because of a loophole in the contract that McDonald's wrote, and demand McDonald's pay him a huge sum of money because they made a lot of money.

I mean, I usually side with the writers. But I've taken my fair share of terrible deals as work-for-hires on projects that were brought to me, and while none of them have gone on to the kind of breakout success that FRIDAY has, even if one of them did, I know I wouldn't be entitled to those profits because I knew what the deal was going into it. And if I suddenly decided that I wanted a piece of that pie because I know how much they're making, then I'm being shady and unethical, because I already agreed to the original deal. We can all empathize with Miller and where he's coming from, but it doesn't make it right. 

EDIT TO ADD: It should also be noted that in 1988, Miller sued Georgetown Productions and Cunningham, claiming he was co-creator and therefore entitled to more of the film's profits. They settled with Miller and paid him an undisclosed amount of money. (Citation: On Location in Blairstown -- The Making of Friday the 13th by David Grove.)

Whoa that previous settlement I didn't know about. That changes everything for me if this is true. No way in the world should Cunningham make another deal with Miller if they already made one years ago. No wonder Cunningham isn't budging this time around. Seems like greed got the best of Miller especially if he's hurting for money these days.

• Like 4

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:14 AM, Smitty_Voorhees said:

EDIT TO ADD: It should also be noted that in 1988, Miller sued Georgetown Productions and Cunningham, claiming he was co-creator and therefore entitled to more of the film's profits. They settled with Miller and paid him an undisclosed amount of money. (Citation: On Location in Blairstown -- The Making of Friday the 13th by David Grove.)

4 hours ago, Jasonlives4ever said:

Whoa that previous settlement I didn't know about. That changes everything for me if this is true. No way in the world should Cunningham make another deal with Miller if they already made one years ago. No wonder Cunningham isn't budging this time around. Seems like greed got the best of Miller especially if he's hurting for money these days.

Here is the text of the exact relevant excerpt from that book:

lawsuit.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ralph Voorhees said:

Here is the text of the exact relevant excerpt from that book:

lawsuit.jpg

Wow there it is proof in the pudding thanks for posting this. Victor as far as i'm concerned shouldn't get a dime more.

that's just about what he was paid, really nothing to do with this lawsuit, which is whether or not he has ownership to the copyright. 2 Way different things.

2 hours ago, 2moar said:

that's just about what he was paid, really nothing to do with this lawsuit, which is whether or not he has ownership to the copyright. 2 Way different things.

Ultimately isn't his having ownership or not of the copyright about money? I mean Miller has made clear his feelings on the franchise, so i don't believe it's because he's suddenly in love with everything thats been done since the 1st film.

Just stimulating discussion here and genuinely curious,not looking to rabidly scream that miller should be splifflicated or anything 

Edited by tpb1992
Correction of mispelling

2 hours ago, 2moar said:

Naturally, but a lot of sympathy for Miller is the fact he was paid what was at the time WGA scale, and not his fair due. But it seems he was paid more than he was legally due 8 years later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

Naturally, but a lot of sympathy for Miller is the fact he was paid what was at the time WGA scale, and not his fair due. But it seems he was paid more than he was legally due 8 years later. 

Though I don't agree with you always. I think you articulate your point of view very well. People like yourself make this community.  

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

Though I don't agree with you always. I think you articulate your point of view very well. People like yourself make this community.  

Back at ya, Splatter. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

Trouble is, there is nothing but a bad result. Slash 'N' Cast - have made sure of that. 

What did they do?

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

Started the "FuckYouVictorMiller" hashtag. 

Really, that doesn't seem like a very smart move on their part. Miller might not be my favorited person but he in no way deserves the shit that has been forced his way. I don't understand why so many people can't see that doing this shit hurts us. Thanks for the info, I'm not on tweeter so I miss all that stuff. It also seems that this is the type of thing that gets turned around on you, if you're not careful.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Fans of violence and bloodshed are always percieved the wrong way for some odd unexplainable reason...

Edited by F134Ever86
way?

1 minute ago, F134Ever86 said:

Broken link. Try embedding

You can copy in your browser, but it does not matter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETxmCCsMoD0
The important thing is, it should be a clear signal for other studies that want to produce games on famous characters. I'm curious when DBD gets into trouble, they have Fredie Krueger there ^_^.

Without new content, this game does not make sense, because there is nothing to do next. I'm only surprised that Mr. Miller woke up with his doubts only now. 

31 minutes ago, blablabla said:

You can copy in your browser, but it does not matter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETxmCCsMoD0
The important thing is, it should be a clear signal for other studies that want to produce games on famous characters. I'm curious when DBD gets into trouble, they have Fredie Krueger there ^_^.

Without new content, this game does not make sense, because there is nothing to do next. I'm only surprised that Mr. Miller woke up with his doubts only now. 

Theres plenty they could do.

They could fix Roy : no more pamela VO, fix his coveralls once and for all, make him spawn ANYWHERE but jasons shack, there is also an ambulance model in VC

They could incorporate new ways to kill jason : starting with Roy. simply make it so counselors need to deplete his HP

They could create new intros for jason : part 6 starts in cemetary after being revived, part 7 and 8 revived from lake, savini coming from hell

They could make Rob playable

They could change the way traps work

They should patch in 4k hdr support for consoles... Seriously guys wtf?

They could alter map layouts

They could allow for jason to swap weapons on the fly

They could let the regular pitchfork be used

They could make spc kills useable in mp

They could make it so jason can smash doors with one hit in rage mode

Anyone else?

Edited by F134Ever86

4 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Really, that doesn't seem like a very smart move on their part. Miller might not be my favorited person but he in no way deserves the shit that has been forced his way. I don't understand why so many people can't see that doing this shit hurts us. Thanks for the info, I'm not on tweeter so I miss all that stuff. It also seems that this is the type of thing that gets turned around on you, if you're not careful.

Yep, they jumped the gun without reading any info on the lawsuit. Then did a mea culpa a day later after actually reading the facts and seeing Larry Zerner's tweet on the matter.

4 hours ago, F134Ever86 said:

They could fix Roy : no more pamela VO, fix his coveralls once and for all, make him spawn ANYWHERE but jasons shack, there is also an ambulance model in VC

They could incorporate new ways to kill jason : starting with Roy. simply make it so counselors need to deplete his HP

They could create new intros for jason : part 6 starts in cemetary after being revived, part 7 and 8 revived from lake, savini coming from hell

Anyone else?

Depleting Roys health to kill him would just encourage players to gang up on the player playing as part 5, it would look hilarious to see all 7 counselors ganging up and constantly wailing on Roy but it would make him unplayable. I like the idea of new cinematics for specified Jasons though, sounds cool

2 minutes ago, tpb1992 said:

Depleting Roys health to kill him would just encourage players to gang up on the player playing as part 5, it would look hilarious to see all 7 counselors ganging up and constantly wailing on Roy but it would make him unplayable. I like the idea of new cinematics for specified Jasons though, sounds cool

The only other thing i can think of would require new content  : knock his mask off then knock him on the spikes like the movie or the woodchipper. The way he is now is unplayable. He needs some serious tweaking. This game was supposed to be the ultimate fan service and Roy is the ultimate disservice.

1 minute ago, F134Ever86 said:

The only other thing i can think of would require new content  : knock his mask off then knock him on the spikes like the movie or the woodchipper. The way he is now is unplayable. He needs some serious tweaking. This game was supposed to be the ultimate fan service and Roy is the ultimate disservice.

Hey i agree with you, i always thought they would add Roy, i just thought they'd add him and tailor him to play as something distinct from Jason, but i personally can't see how the devs can make something unique out of Roy, i mean to kill him like the film is very situational, the only way you'd be able to do it would be if you just stayed in the area where the spikes or woodchipper would be and if the person playing as Jason doesn't want to be killed they'll just stay away( me, personally i'd have at them just to see if they get lucky and kill me, but most players seem to find it humiliating to be killed)

But i agree with you, right now Roy is basically just Jason wearing a Roy skin rather than a unique option as killer, bearing in mind wasn't Mrs Voorhees supposed to have been a stretch goal for being apart of the game? if so,the devs were prepared to add someone as killer who's play style would be very different to even a living Jason, so it puzzles me they didn't seem to take the time to implement that with Roy.

6 hours ago, F134Ever86 said:

Anyone else?

Love all of it but :

6 hours ago, F134Ever86 said:

This would probably Count as new Content.