Thatguyinktown

Cunningham v Miller lawsuit, explained.

25 minutes ago, RadikalGamer said:

The post says no content in the future as well reread please.

The official response from Gun Media states that until the lawsuit is resolved, they cannot release new content. Presumably that means when it is resolved, they can resume releasing new content.  http://f13game.com/news/end-of-content/

You'd think itd be in the best interests of Miller or Cunningham to let the game keep going and then get money from it after it's settled.  I get that's not how the law works, just stinks.  And up yours Vic Miller!  

Victor Miller is old.

Paramount should've thrown a ton of money at this guy a long time ago and that probably would've cured all.

He'd be on a beach somewhere, sipping a martini and hanging around some 20 something supermodel after his cash and this would not be a huge issue in regards to anything about the future of the franchise. Money can buy a lot of things and this guy would most certainly go away for the right payday.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

Nobody here knows, and blindly lashing out at Miller without any sort of context or understanding of what actually occurred is irresponsible and reckless.

Court of public opinion. Ready, shoot, aim.

5 hours ago, F134Ever86 said:

Miller claims to never have seen the sequels and has a major problem with them because jason is the villain. He simply cannot win because he will kill jason once and for all. I was thinking about going over to http://victormiller.com/index.php to ask him to stand down.

You forgot to add: "Politely" to ask him to stand down... you have probably read at least some of the hatred directed towards Mr. Miller so far since this announcement. I am not sure how good an idea it is to let the hot heads ask him to stand down, I can imagine how rude many of them will get and that does not help the situation at all. In fact, it could very well make things worse... if he truly wants to "kill Jason" once and for all, we do not want to justify his reasons to do so.

@Bropollocreed79 I am happy to read a post from someone with a "cooler head" that has actually looked at some of these documents and may understand what is being said better than many of us. You asked some good questions, and we all know so little about any of this. There are many other questions that need answers before anyone can have a "valid" opinion on any of this... but people will continue having opinions, regardless of their validity... and I doubt very many of our questions will be answered before this whole thing is resolved.
  I have read quite a few of the legal documents that we have access to and many articles about the situation and found much of the same stuff I found in links already posted in threads on these forums... I have "some" understanding here, more than some... but less than many... Still for what I can get out of it, it is not even close to enough to answer many of the questions we all have. It was a lot of reading for very little information.

There are many people asking for, wanting or demanding explanations, without knowing or giving thought to the fact that anyone involved or effected by this cannot speak about much (if anything) about the subject without getting themselves into trouble of one kind or another. Legal mumbo jumbo sucks, but it is what it is.
   We can only hope that the old saying "Cooler Heads will prevail" will ring true here.

@Thatguyinktown I have to say thanks for looking into this and posting your findings... I have done some research into this as well, but found nothing worth posting beyond what you and some others have already stated and / or posted links for. But whatever Mr. Miller's and Mr. Cunningham's reasons for this mess are... and whatever evidence they have for each of their sides of this, in the end it can simply fall to whoever's lawyer put up the better argument.
   Despite our early speculations in this thread... we still do not have enough facts to really know much about what is going on unfortunately. Even if we had access to more information from the documentation or other developments of the case itself, we may never know the real reasoning behind any of this. But hopefully, when it is resolved, at least some of our questions can be answered.
   Even if (or when) the Devs make a statement, it will be limited by a lawyer to what they can state without jumping out of the frying pan and landing you know where. We all hope for good news to come soon... but this is probably going to drag on for some time. We can also hold out hope that when we do get more news on this... it is not bad news for the entire franchise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any derivative work and it's terms granted prior to termination continue after termination.

Future content is one of the terms.

14 hours ago, Ahab said:

... and whatever evidence they have for each of their sides of this, in the end it can simply fall to whoever's lawyer put up the better argument.

Exceedingly true. And so often the case.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ahab said:

am happy to read a post from someone with a "cooler head" that has actually looked at some of these documents and may understand what is being said better than many of us. You asked some good questions, and we all know so little about any of this. There are many other questions that need answers before anyone can have a "valid" opinion on any of this... but people will continue having opinions, regardless of their validity... and I doubt very many of our questions will be answered before this whole thing is resolved.

Thanks.  I mean, I read court docs for most of the day in my current position, so it's not new to me.  It's far easier to distill something down to facts when you have a broader knowledge base on a given situation, but reading the two motions, it's clear that this isn't going anywhere fast without some sort of unseemly judicial activism (regardless of which party it would potentially rule in favor of).

Not having access to the evidence means we can only rely on heresay, and that's never enough for me to make an informed opinion unless my wife is the one relaying the information.  It's like the notable philosopher Stone Cold Steve Austin said on multiple occasions, "Don't trust anybody."  Once I got over my initial ire at the entire situation, I started looking at it as an opportunity for things to finally be addressed and potentially corrected in the game, such as the rubberbanding, innumerable technical glitches, or even (dare I dream to say it aloud?) dedicated servers.  If they seize this opportunity, I think that given a chance, the community will embrace the "new and improved" F13th experience.  

For me, I prefer to play Jason, but when I have the "inactivity glitch" (i.e. you can't interact with anything and can only run or grab, no slashing), the game becomes a flaming dumpster fire fueled by wet turds and bitterness.  I don't need that in my life, nor do I think that it's asking too much that the game I paid $40 in a retail store, you know, actually WORK.  The IP issue is becoming a distraction from the larger issues that have plagued this game since it was released.  People need to focus on what's still broken, and not get caught up in the lack of upcoming DLC.  After all, what good is new DLC if the game is still bogged down in preposterous bugs and glitches?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LadySansaLannister said:

Keyboardheroes thats all.Nothing to worry about.

On 6/11/2018 at 4:20 PM, Super Ty said:

Anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong on this, but it seems like they had free reign to add anything from the old movies up UNTIL June 2018. If that is the case, and Uber Jason (and his kills) were completed, and knowing this date was imminent, why did they not just bite the bullet and put him in the game? They did all that work for nothing, and only hackers will ever have access to him.

Consoles require certification if Jason X is not working right and they tried to bundle it in with the last update it may not have met the game console requirements... And we wouldn't have any new content.

An interesting and informative (and not too long) article about the lawsuit. I hadn't realised Victor Miller was himself the defendant - and that it was actually Horror Inc. Who were suing him.

https://1428elm.com/2018/06/12/friday-13th-vs-victor-miller/

I have to be honest some of the vitriol being spouted at 78 year old Miller is quite sickening. Calling for his death, threatening him with death, threatening to assault him, threatening his family members etc. If this was my 78 year old Father or Grandfather being subjected to this kind of manic abuse relentlessly through his email and Twitter channels - I'd be extremely upset and angry.

I'm frustrated and extremely disappointed about what has happened in regards to the game - but it's got completely out of hand, and people need to wind their necks in. This is the kind of abuse and fury normally reserved for a pedophile or rapist. He's an elderly film and television writer involved in a lawsuit of which he is the defendant.

As if hurling frenzied abuse is going to change anything or have any positive/desirable outcome.     

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

An interesting and informative (and not too long) article about the lawsuit. I hadn't realised Victor Miller was himself the defendant - and that it was actually Horror Inc. Who were suing him.

https://1428elm.com/2018/06/12/friday-13th-vs-victor-miller/

I read that article this morning too. Miller initiated the termination of copyright and Cunningham and co. countersued. I have updated the thread title accordingly.

1 hour ago, Splatterhouse said:

I have to be honest some of the vitriol being spouted at 78 year old Miller is quite sickening. Calling for his death, threatening him with death, threatening to assault him, threatening his family members etc. If this was my 78 year old Father or Grandfather being subjected to this kind of manic abuse relentlessly through his email and Twitter channels - I'd be extremely upset and angry.

I'm frustrated and extremely disappointed about what has happened in regards to the game - but it's got completely out of hand, and people need to wind their necks in. This is the kind of abuse and fury normally reserved for a pedophile or rapist. He's an elderly film and television writer involved in a lawsuit of which he is the defendant.

As if hurling frenzied abuse is going to change anything or have any positive/desirable outcome.     

Yep, what he said, I'm very disappointed in some of you as well. 

I might not agree with Millers assertion but he is the defendant and this is beyond all of our control. 

8 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Yep, what he said, I'm very disappointed in some of you as well. 

I might not agree with Millers assertion but he is the defendant and this is beyond all of our control. 

He's only the defendant because he tried to rescind copyright. Cunningham's point is that Miller never would have written the script if it weren't for him, and they developed the concept together (there are multiple interviews where both men admit they debated and bounced ideas off each other what the setting should even be before finally landing on a summer camp).

Now, Cunningham could have made a deal instead of suing, but Miller is being greedy. But whether or not he's entitled to being greedy, a judge will decide. But I hope for the industry's sake the judge says no. If the judge says yes, it opens the floodgates to a lot of out-of-work writers to go back to their originally dated drafts and/or treatments and comparing them against final contracts with the studios.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

. If the judge says yes, it opens the floodgates to a lot of out-of-work writers to go back to their originally dated drafts and/or treatments and comparing them against final contracts with the studios.

Not necessarily, the floodgates were already "open" since January 2013, the first date any author (operating outside of an employment or work for hire basis) could legally terminate any copyright enacted since January 1978 (In accordance with the Copyright Act of 1976). Some existing copyrights have already been terminated, for example, some early works of Stephen King and some of the songs from The Village People.

@Splatterhouse Thanks for the link... saves me a bit of searching today. I already knew almost everything spoken about in the article except for the way the fans have been reaching out to Mr. Miller. This was predictable, however... but that does not make it right. We may be seeing a lot of people charged with death threats over this... and they should be charged!
    Toxic crap thrown around at ANYONE is not the way to go... threats or not, it is bullshit! It helps nothing and no one. I hope Mr. Miller has nothing to worry about with these threats... but there are actually people dumb enough and crazy enough out there that threats of this nature must be taken seriously.

@Slasher_Clone You are not the only one disappointed with these people... but we can't even say for sure who has been doing this crap... It would also be wrong for us to start pointing fingers at individuals though... that could lead to death threats against them. Its a vicious circle of crap! It also gives critics of the entire horror genre more ammunition in their fight to censor all things horror... this we do not need.
   The fans of the franchise and the community formed by this game should be condemning these jerks that we cannot even put names to. Fortunately, everything sent over the internet to anyone can be traced back to the individual who sent it... condemnation is one thing, death threats is entirely different and these people need to be charged.

@Bropollocreed79 Well said as always... your particular brand of wit always makes me laugh... even in dark times.
   That inactivity glitch you spoke of does suck... but even in quick play you can usually get someone to knock some sense back into Jason to correct it... but it still sucks and has happened to me on many occasions.
    Hopefully the dev team stays focused on the issues at hand now and gives us the nice, working game with as few bugs as possible in the near future... and those dedicated servers for consoles that are sorely needed. Even with all the bugs in game now, those servers seem like a high priority to me based on the number of complaints I have read about them. Now that they cannot work on new content... the fixes and servers can hopefully happen much faster than any of us previously expected... but I am still glad they managed to get the content into the game that they did get finished in time.
   Either way, its all a waiting game at this point for us. Both for fixes and servers... and news of the court case. Hopefully, the wait for all of these things will not be as long as some think it will be.

• Thanks 1

@Ahab, I'm not allowed to name and shame them, that doesn't mean I can't shame them. At least that's how I interpreted it. ?

6 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

@Ahab, I'm not allowed to name and shame them, that doesn't mean I can't shame them. At least that's how I interpreted it. ?

Exactly my point... we cannot name and shame for a reason, or more precisely, many reasons... all of which are understandable and logical reasons.

But we CAN and SHOULD condemn and SHAME this crap behavior!! We just cannot and should not be using names. Condemn and shame the behavior, not the people... they already know who they are. We need to emphasize that horror fans are not the psychotic freaks that some wrongly consider us all to be... there are good and bad people in every type of group or community.

@hu_soldier13 Thanks for the link... I did not know Mr. Zerner had become a lawyer... we learn something new every day. I am happy to see him explain a bit about what is going on.  
    Although the article and his tweets were informative,  I hope the fans do not suddenly decide to turn their hatred and threats towards Mr. Cunningham either. Some people are just blowing all of this way out of proportion. It can hurt the franchise, the game and anyone or anything else involved.
    Hopefully.... Cooler heads will prevail!

30 minutes ago, Ahab said:

The fans of the franchise and the community formed by this game should be condemning these jerks that we cannot even put names to.

Agreed. Shitty people always have to ruin it for the people who actually care.

• Thanks 1

Sending death threats over a film franchise is sick in the head.

I’ve read a bit of this now and it’s enough to make my head spin, but, putting on my positivity cap here, should the judge rule in favor of Cunningham, content would be allowed to continue. Not trying to grasp at straws here, but if the judge rules within the next 4 months or so, and gun continues to work on bug fixes and dedicated servers, could there be a chance that they may revisit releasing new content? I love this game and would hate to see it die this way. 

• Like 2