Jump to content
Thatguyinktown

Cunningham v Miller lawsuit, explained.

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

As residuals he was entitled to. I was taking issue with the phrase "sold the script," as that implies that the script was a completed copy and sold off, rather than an active project between Miller, Cunningham, and others at Horror, Inc that is described in the lawsuit, if that distinction makes sense?

I can guarantee you this, when Halloween is making 80 to 100 million at the box office this Oct., you can bet your ass that Sean Cunningham and Victor Miller will be kissing and making up to try and kick out a new F13 movie quickly.

 

2 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

As residuals he was entitled to. I was taking issue with the phrase "sold the script," as that implies that the script was a completed copy and sold off, rather than an active project between Miller, Cunningham, and others at Horror, Inc that is described in the lawsuit, if that distinction makes sense?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or it'll have the opposite effect and they'll both dig in more.

3 minutes ago, humerabi said:

I can guarantee you this, when Halloween is making 80 to 100 million at the box office this Oct., you can bet your ass that Sean Cunningham and Victor Miller will be kissing and making up to try and kick out a new F13 movie quickly.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, humerabi said:

Uber Jason should have been a Jason exclusive to the Grendel map, with new ways to escape, and a new way to kill him. Or maybe you want to see Uber Jason on Higgins Haven getting killed by Tommy Jarvis.

Why not? He kills a big purple Jason, Roy Burns and Part 7, 8 and 9 Jason’s on the maps they are not associated with. If this game was going for complete movie atmosphere then each Jason would have had thier own map.

I seriously doubt Uber Jason would have been exclusive and only used on the Grendel map.

The more I read about this fiasco, it’s starting to stink like an onion. I just can’t wrap my head around the fact that they have the entire month left and they are so quick to cancel Uber Jason who is 99.9% in the game files.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BrokenFattHardy said:

Crowdfunding works from what I hear. Make others pay for the things you want. ?

So this is all speculation, but I think this game was the reason, or at least one of the reasons for Miller's lawsuit in the first place. 

1. Miller didn't file his termination of copyright until late fall 2015. This was a full 6 and a half years after the most recent Friday the 13th movie. However, it was also around this time that it was announced that Slasher Camp vol 1 would become Friday the 13th.

2. There are a number of motions filed between the summary judgement filings and August 16th, when briefings were stopped to address pending motions. Also occurring during this time is the games digital release.

3. A hearing for the motion is held October 19, 2017 (6 days after the games physical release)

4. May 7, 2018 - memorandum released that supports the earlier motion.

5. June 11th - Gun releases statement announcing cancellation of future DLC. June 2018 was Victor Miller's termination of copyright date from the 2016 filing.

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/4497508/horror-inc-v-miller/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thatguyinktown said:

So this is all speculation, but I think this game was the reason, or at least one of the reasons for Miller's lawsuit in the first place. 

1. Miller didn't file his termination of copyright until late fall 2015. This was a full 6 and a half years after the most recent Friday the 13th movie. However, it was also around this time that it was announced that Slasher Camp vol 1 would become Friday the 13th.

2. There are a number of motions filed between the summary judgement filings and August 16th, when briefings were stopped to address pending motions. Also occurring during this time is the games digital release.

3. A hearing for the motion is held October 19, 2017 (6 days after the games physical release)

4. May 7, 2018 - memorandum released that supports the earlier motion.

5. June 11th - Gun releases statement announcing cancellation of future DLC. June 2018 was Victor Miller's termination of copyright date from the 2016 filing.

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/4497508/horror-inc-v-miller/

Your speculation sounds closer to being true than anything officially stated by people who could actually shed some light on things. Oh wait......... They didn't really touch on that much did they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely possible but why would a video game that realistically shouldn't have been a commercial success get his panties in a twist? 

4 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

So this is all speculation, but I think this game was the reason, or at least one of the reasons for Miller's lawsuit in the first place. 

1. Miller didn't file his termination of copyright until late fall 2015. This was a full 6 and a half years after the most recent Friday the 13th movie. However, it was also around this time that it was announced that Slasher Camp vol 1 would become Friday the 13th.

2. There are a number of motions filed between the summary judgement filings and August 16th, when briefings were stopped to address pending motions. Also occurring during this time is the games digital release.

3. A hearing for the motion is held October 19, 2017 (6 days after the games physical release)

4. May 7, 2018 - memorandum released that supports the earlier motion.

5. June 11th - Gun releases statement announcing cancellation of future DLC. June 2018 was Victor Miller's termination of copyright date from the 2016 filing.

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/4497508/horror-inc-v-miller/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, thrawn3054 said:

Definitely possible but why would a video game that realistically shouldn't have been a commercial success get his panties in a twist? 

 

It's the only commercially available iteration that's pumping out fresh content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's an old man... He would just see video games and think ???

 

Doesn't know the difference between Gun Media and Activision I'd imagine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, but you'd have thought the reboot would have been more likely to set him off. I think you're probably right, it's just weird this is what would do it.

4 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

It's the only commercially available iteration that's pumping out fresh content.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

So this is all speculation, but I think this game was the reason, or at least one of the reasons for Miller's lawsuit in the first place. 

1. Miller didn't file his termination of copyright until late fall 2015. This was a full 6 and a half years after the most recent Friday the 13th movie. However, it was also around this time that it was announced that Slasher Camp vol 1 would become Friday the 13th.

2. There are a number of motions filed between the summary judgement filings and August 16th, when briefings were stopped to address pending motions. Also occurring during this time is the games digital release.

3. A hearing for the motion is held October 19, 2017 (6 days after the games physical release)

4. May 7, 2018 - memorandum released that supports the earlier motion.

5. June 11th - Gun releases statement announcing cancellation of future DLC. June 2018 was Victor Miller's termination of copyright date from the 2016 filing.

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/4497508/horror-inc-v-miller/

Do mean motions for summary judgment?  I can't find anything in PACER as far as rulings on those motions.  Usually, a memorandum is a filing by a third party in support or opposing either the plaintiff or defendant's respective motion for summary judgment.   Typically, the court will either grant or deny a Motion for Summary Judgment, THATS a ruling, not a memorandum in support.

Edit: that memorandum wasn't released, it was filed in support--thats a big distinction, and again, lacking actual pacer access, we have no way of knowing who actually  filed that memorandum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

Do mean motions for summary judgment?  I can't find anything in PACER as far as rulings on those motions.

What were the October and may memos about?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, thrawn3054 said:

Definitely possible but why would a video game that realistically shouldn't have been a commercial success get his panties in a twist? 

Likely because the guy sees dollar signs. He can't milk the f13 book series, it doesn't exist. He can't milk the f13 tv series, it doesn't exist. 

But hey, they sold (x) amount of video games... maybe he thinks he can get a piece of that action. So he gets an attorney to tie shit up in court, and force the development company to pay him, or risk losing their customer base.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

What were the October and may memos about?

I can't say for certain.  They're a bit persnickety about us using PACER for personal use at work, since the company foots the bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That could be the case. But he first filled right after the name change. Lawsuits are expensive, and he'd have no way of knowing the game would be a money maker. Not saying that wasn't his thought process. Just seems like a hell of a risk.

5 minutes ago, CowardlyBadger said:

Likely because the guy sees dollar signs. He can't milk the f13 book series, it doesn't exist. He can't milk the f13 tv series, it doesn't exist. 

But hey, they sold (x) amount of video games... maybe he thinks he can get a piece of that action. So he gets an attorney to tie shit up in court, and force the development company to pay him, or risk losing their customer base.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

I can't say for certain.  They're a bit persnickety about us using PACER for personal use at work, since the company foots the bill.

I think I might have access to Lexus Nexus or something else through my school. Uncompensated research is how I fill my time...oh who am I kidding? I LOVE reading legal filings, its like my version of gossip magazines.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MaxRenn82 said:

Don't see why clothes can't be added as they aren't specifically from the movies.  Such a shame.  Even when the court rules he can apparently just appeal it.  

 

And agree they should just release Uber, bugs n all, and patch him at a later date if post June means after June, not including.

The characters wore clothes in the first movie, so Miller owns the rights to clothes apparently.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thrawn3054 said:

and he'd have no way of knowing the game would be a money maker.

He's in his 80's, he may not know anything about online games at all.

But, unfortunately, his lawyers probably do understand the ins and outs, and know exactly how to pressure the development team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MichaelMemers said:

This sounds like the most frivolous lawsuit in years.

It really is a frivolous and bogus lawsuit. He's just trying to milk as much money as he can while not giving a fuck about how that affects the millions of fans who poured their hearts into this franchise. I pray for a miracle that his lawsuit somehow gets overturned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So does this lawsuit affect the Friday the 13th:  Killer Puzzle game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, zmccain said:

So does this lawsuit affect the Friday the 13th:  Killer Puzzle game?

That's a better question for Blue Wizard Digital, however, seeing as they are also quoted as having characters and trademarks from Horror, Inc, I imagine they're in the same boat, too.  http://www.f13killerpuzzle.com/presskit/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

That's a better question for Blue Wizard Digital, however, seeing as they are also quoted as having characters and trademarks from Horror, Inc, I imagine they're in the same boat, too.  http://www.f13killerpuzzle.com/presskit/

Just sent them an email.  So maybe we'll find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zmccain said:

Just sent them an email.  So maybe we'll find out.

Cool. Let us know if you find out anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thatguyinktown said:

June 2018 was Victor Miller's termination of copyright date from the 2016 filing.

   So this was known since 2016 then? This explains a lot.
  The rushing of content and the amount of bugs that came with it... just speculating here but...
  They rushed out all the content they could before this date to get as much in the game as they possibly could before they knew they could not get any more in... Screw the bugs... when this date passes, we will have nothing left to do but fix bugs anyway. At least, that is how I would have done it if I had known about this since the game's beginnings.

   I am glad we got the content we did get, but it sucks about the unfinished stuff. I was looking forward to Uber Jason and Grendel.... and perhaps more stuff in the future that we may never see now.
   Either way, they cannot talk about an active court case with the public, or anything it affects with their game without going through lawyers or they could really screw themselves. So we are screwed for more information until they are allowed to talk about it. I doubt we will here much of anything until the proceedings are over and all this is settled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ahab there was a motion filed in October, that was granted last month. If the motion was to include the f13 game, that would align with the accelerated release schedule (and also the waffling on whether to release a new content road map). It also explains the rush to get the may 24 patch out, as buggy as it was, because theoretically if they didn't push it out quickly, all that content they created would have to be put on hold.

Now I haven't seen the motion in October, or the may memorandum, so it could be something unrelated, and I'm trying to connect dots that dont actually connect, but, it makes sense, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just going to remain optimistic and hope Miller loses and the developers can get back to making content. This lawsuit was stupid in the first place anyway...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×