Jump to content
Thatguyinktown

Cunningham v Miller lawsuit, explained.

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, cruehitman said:

It comes across like maybe they had an emergency meeting over the weekend after their latest patch screwed things up even worse again, and decided hell with it, not gonna be able to milk much more from this game and we obviously can’t fix it, so let’s pull the plug and use the court battle as the scapegoat

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruehitman said:

It comes across like maybe they had an emergency meeting over the weekend after their latest patch screwed things up even worse again, and decided hell with it, not gonna be able to milk much more from this game and we obviously can’t fix it, so let’s pull the plug and use the court battle as the scapegoat

Perhaps. We don't have any concrete information anyway, but @Truth and I actually agree that they probably rushed the release of the may 24th patch to get it out ahead of the June 2018 deadline (it still isn't certain if the date starts June 1,2018 or after June 30). If they hadn't released the patch before then, all "new content" in the patch (single player challenges, Victoria, new emotes, possibly even roys coveralls, etc) could have needed to be shelved until the lawsuit is settled. Since they could patch existing pre-june content, as long as they got it out before then, they always had the option to patch it later.

As far back as before the games release, they have been saying that the lawsuit wouldn't affect the game, and that may have either been their lawyer's understanding. Looking at the case filings, there was a motion hearing October 19th, 2017 (6 days after the games physical release). On May 7th, 2018, there was a memorandum issued in support of the motion. While I don't have a PACER account to view that filing (with an account, it costs $.10/page to view them), it *might* mean that the game was enjoined as part of HORROR, Inc's assets that Miller would like to be compensated for, making all or part of the game a part of the lawsuit they were previously assured was a seperate matter. Again, I don't know that for sure, as I don't have an account to view that filing located here: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/4497508/horror-inc-v-miller/

As for Uber Jason, that's a better question for the devs as far as why it was released in the game files, yet inaccessible in game. Simplest explanation could probably be that there were *substantial* bugs with that character that was already built, and it was easier to lock it than remove it from the patch entirely.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also possible they are just being cautious about the lawsuit. I read through the old filing and can't see how Miller has a leg to stand on. Also possible they've been enjoined from doing anything new until the lawsuit is settled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thrawn3054 said:

Also possible they've been enjoined from doing anything new until the lawsuit is settled.

Thats the vibe im getting. If only i could access that october 2017 motion filing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't see why clothes can't be added as they aren't specifically from the movies.  Such a shame.  Even when the court rules he can apparently just appeal it.  

 

And agree they should just release Uber, bugs n all, and patch him at a later date if post June means after June, not including.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, TiffanyCakes said:

No councilor PJs....that’s the real bummer ..f*ck Jason 

Hell yeah that was what i was waiting for the counselors pajamas Victoria def needs new cloths and if the game is dead i'm gonna be mad a hell all the time money and effort i put into this game just to have it all go away to nothing if this happens i'll never ever buy anything from this company again and i'm sure as hell hoping nobody else would either just to have any future game shut down on them for whatever reason if they need money then use the pajama's as paid dlc hell i'll pay i don't mind buying clothing dlc or even paying for uber Jason if it helps keep the company alive i'll pay

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Omg really? Victor Miller is being incredibly shady saying he created Jason when he was the one against using Jason as a character for sequels. This might actually be tough because the character of Jason Vorheea as we know him was NOT created by Victor. He only created the deceased character of Jason as a boy who drowned in the lake. Even the characterization of Jason as a Mongoloid was created by Tom Savini.

Victor’s claim that he created the iconic character of Jason could easily be argued false as the creators of the third film have more of a case. Saying Victor created who we know as Jason is a stretch even legally. Victor may regret all the interviews of him saying Jason is dead and at the bottom of Camp crystal lake and that he had nothing to do with the sequels. Simply saying the characters were “based on characters created by Victor Miller” doesn’t make it true if it can be proven Jason as a child who died in the first film is a distinct character from the one in the sequels. I just cant believe this lawsuit is happening now almost 40 years later. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe people are still on about a never confirmed clothing pack.

@Thatguyinktown That is my guess as well. Unfortunately I think the lawsuit will not be over in time for it to matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BeautyNumber2 said:

Victor may regret all the interviews of him saying Jason is dead and at the bottom of Camp crystal lake and that he had nothing to do with the sequels. 

It's funny that you mention that, as both Victor Miller and Sean Cunningham's statements in the Crystal Lake Memories book and documentary are named in the summary judgements filed, so they are already used as evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

It's funny that you mention that, as both Victor Miller and Sean Cunningham's statements in the Crystal Lake Memories book and documentary are named in the summary judgements filed, so they are already used as evidence.

I figured as much. Both men need to stop being shady. Victor should obviously have some legal share for creating “Jason Voorhees” but it has to be shared with all those who contributed to his legacy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miller has made money for years off the franchise, and he sold his screenplay.  Them's the breaks.  Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes not.  Just sucks it has to halt production for the fans.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MaxRenn82 said:

Miller has made money for years off the franchise, and he sold his screenplay.  

I'm not sure that's factually correct. Had he actually "sold" the screenplay, he may have more credibility to his claim. However, in reading into the lawsuit today, as I understand it, he actively worked on the script in close association with Cunningham, the production company, and the WGA. How much, creatively, Miller contributed to the script and when, as well as the legal classification of this specific arrangement are what is being decided (as far as I can tell).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Super Ty said:

Anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong on this, but it seems like they had free reign to add anything from the old movies up UNTIL June 2018. If that is the case, and Uber Jason (and his kills) were completed, and knowing this date was imminent, why did they not just bite the bullet and put him in the game? They did all that work for nothing, and only hackers will ever have access to him.

I cant wait to see Gun Media skirt around this question. Like I said before, Uber Jason has been done for months now, why have we not gotten him yet? Is it because if they released him, they would have had to release Grendel too. And im sure Grendel is a map that they never did figure out what to do with. But we will never hear the truth.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, humerabi said:

Is it because if they released him, they would have had to release Grendel too.

Not really, no. They could have always cancelled the Grendel and just put Uber Jason in. I don't see a Part 8 map, but there's Part 8 Jason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

I'm not sure that's factually correct. Had he actually "sold" the screenplay, he may have more credibility to his claim. However, in reading into the lawsuit today, as I understand it, he actively worked on the script in close association with Cunningham, the production company, and the WGA. How much, creatively, Miller contributed to the script and when, as well as the legal classification of this specific arrangement are what is being decided (as far as I can tell).

Cunningham claims he received benefits for the last 38 years due to his WGA contract.  That's where I got that from.  I suppose it's he said she said at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MichaelMemers said:

Not really, no. They could have always cancelled the Grendel and just put Uber Jason in. I don't see a Part 8 map, but there's Part 8 Jason.

Uber Jason should have been a Jason exclusive to the Grendel map, with new ways to escape, and a new way to kill him. Or maybe you want to see Uber Jason on Higgins Haven getting killed by Tommy Jarvis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, humerabi said:

I cant wait to see Gun Media skirt around this question. Like I said before, Uber Jason has been done for months now, why have we not gotten him yet? Is it because if they released him, they would have had to release Grendel too. And im sure Grendel is a map that they never did figure out what to do with. But we will never hear the truth.

 

Oh they won’t skirt around it. They’re going to straight up ignore it, like they’ve done so many times in the past. “We’re going to take Retro Jason down for a month, and when he comes back he’ll be his own unique Jason.” Guess that’s ancient history too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Super Ty said:

Oh they won’t skirt around it. They’re going to straight up ignore it, like they’ve done so many times in the past. “We’re going to take Retro Jason down for a month, and when he comes back he’ll be his own unique Jason.” Guess that’s ancient history too.

Don't forget about tricking out the cars with your own personal touch lol

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MaxRenn82 said:

Cunningham claims he received benefits for the last 38 years due to his WGA contract.  That's where I got that from.

As residuals he was entitled to. I was taking issue with the phrase "sold the script," as that implies that the script was a completed copy and sold off, rather than an active project between Miller, Cunningham, and others at Horror, Inc that is described in the lawsuit, if that distinction makes sense?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thatguyinktown said:

Thats the vibe im getting. If only i could access that october 2017 motion filing.

1og0.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BrokenFattHardy said:

1og0.gif

(I don't want to pay the $.10/page to view it, but I am REALLY tempted to, just to see what it says and if it does involve the game)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thatguyinktown said:

(I don't want to pay the $.10/page to view it, but I am REALLY tempted to, just to see what it says and if it does involve the game)

Crowdfunding works from what I hear. Make others pay for the things you want. ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×