wes

Legal Claim and the Road Ahead

i am so disappointed with all this, i have been a F13 fan for a long time, loved the game the moment i saw it, and was even more excited that we where getting some new content on a somewhat regular basis, i was so excited for part 10 jason but i guess i'll never get to see him, great game but i always love seeing new content for it. will most likely uninstall the game soon. 

This is a desaster !!!  I was hoping that this game can do a second year run, with new content, maps Jasons etc... now I'm just shocked. The game still feels unfinished and need some polish and final changes. I am so sorry, but thankful !

but in the end it so fucked up !

5 hours ago, wes said:

Once I have a clearer picture of what details I can discuss, I will.

@wes@Tim Voorhees13... Looks like some people didn't read this part of Wes' post before getting mad at him for "cutting and pasting" so to speak.

• Like 1

I'm praying that this is a prank for E3... It's strange how this comes up out of the blue during E3.

3 minutes ago, Qcici said:

I'm praying that this is a prank for E3... It's strange how this comes up out of the blue during E3.

Probably intentional so it won't make the news outside of F13 havens.

Time to get on the bug fixes then... Until the world ends, we should carry on like it is any other day. At least like any other day in which there is absolutely nothing to work on besides bug fixes and dedicated servers.
   The court case is out of their... and our control. Hopefully it is cleared up soon and the winners & losers can come to a reasonable decision on where the property goes next. We will not know what is going to happen until then. Perhaps, if it is resolved soon enough.. the production of the game can continue beyond fixes and balance. Announcing any release of any new content at this time could land them in the proverbial fire... including content that was known to be coming soon... The statement Wes provided was written that way for a reason, they had to say something, but cannot say anything without consulting a lawyer to make sure they cannot be sued for something that is misstated or misconstrued... legal mumbo jumbo sucks.
   This court battle has been going on for a while, but this announcement comes as a surprise.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, EspionageCosmo said:

@wes What can we fans do to help? Will a friendly letter writing campaign to Mr. Miller help?

no, people need to not engage with anything or the people involved in the court case.

I don't see why they couldn't add new counselors and maps. No one said they have to be strictly based off of the movie franchise.

2 minutes ago, x OLd ScRatCh x said:

I don't see why they couldn't add new counselors and maps. No one said they have to be strictly based off of the movie franchise.

doesnt matter, anything in the game is under the f13 banner, the game is a licensed property.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2moar said:

no, people need to not engage with anything or the people involved in the court case.

So what can the fans do? It is just a waiting game at this point? If so, I can accept that. I'd just like to know from someone who's in the know.

5 hours ago, MichaelMemers said:

The game is done and dedicated servers aren't going to happen.

Are you basing that statement on personal speculation or are you doubting what the devs have said as businesses need money to survive? It's been said that dedicated servers are still coming. Not sure where you're coming from with that statement, just trying to understand. 

5 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I'm not a lawyer but from my understanding of it they can get around Millers suit, by naming the dlc something else. As long as their not trying to profit off the F13 name in the process.

Maybe it's time for Gun and Illfonic to remove Jason's mask, change his head and clothing completely, rework the maps completely, re-work Jarvis completely, and change the game's name to "Summer Camp Vol.1" 

• Confused 1

So this is all happening due to the F13 rights. Is this happening to other companies that carry the rights to sell F13 merchandise? Are F13 lunchboxes and action figures being taken out of other companies inventory? Can I no longer go order an F13 comic? Is Mezco taking down the preorder for their upcoming J3 figure? Is all current production of anything licensed by F13 dead until further notice? 

19 minutes ago, A.J. Mason said:

So this is all happening due to the F13 rights. Is this happening to other companies that carry the rights to sell F13 merchandise? Are F13 lunchboxes and action figures being taken out of other companies inventory? Can I no longer go order an F13 comic? Is Mezco taking down the preorder for their upcoming J3 figure? Is all current production of anything licensed by F13 dead until further notice? 

This literally happens all the time with licensed products. To answer your question, yes you can still order all if that stuff. No one is magically pulling all of it out of existence. It's just that none of it is being produced new by the manufacturer anymore. So if you don't get it now you run the risk of having to pay outlandish scalper prices on eBay or Amazon. This actually happened already with the F13 Blu Ray tin set.

• Like 1

There is something i don´t understand, that i hope someone involved in this can answer (devs).

First of, a decision has not yet been made so whats stopping you?

Second, the decision was supposed to come around 2017, that would mean before the game was launched?

Here is the strange part.

You had the game summer camp slasher or whatever on different pledge sites to get money to develop. Then you get the rights for F13 and can use all sorts of F13 materials such as the same music composer actors, masks maps and councilors. And now all of a sudden your not longer allowed because of a lawsuit?

Tought you had the right all ready.

So whats stopping you guys from going back to work on summer camp slasher instead then? Just switch out some things and keep at it.

Please can someone who worked on this explain instead of just go silent. 

8 hours ago, Brogan322 said:

Didn't you guys know about this news since October? Why are you acting like this is new news to you, Wes? I am very confused. 

it didn't affect the game till now and in october case preceding looked like it was only going to affect movie rights 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, pioneer67fkd said:

it didn't affect the game till now and in october case preceding looked like it was only going to affect movie rights 

I see. So did they just learn about the news recently like us? 

10 hours ago, wes said:

Campers,

You may or may not have seen the press release circling around the internet about future content for Friday the 13th: The Game. We're still sorting through the pieces while trying to shove our hearts back into our chests. Once I have a clearer picture of what details I can discuss, I will.

We CAN work on bugs, balance, performance, optimizations and of course dedicated servers. That's what ILLFONIC are doing as we speak. Sorry, I don't have more to share at this time, but I didn't want total silence on this topic.

This really sucks. I need a drink.

-W 

Please don't just permanently call it quits. Yeah, I can understand that you guys have to put future content updates on hold but just don't flat out say they'll never be new content added ever again. Just wait and see how this Lawsuit Settlement drama pans out first. I don't care if I have to wait a year for new content. As long as bugs are getting fixed and proper moderation over those who misbehave in the game are being dealt out, a lot of us who are patient are cool with it.

• Like 1

Well couod they chatge money for already released content?  What I mean is, if they get pressed for revenue, couod they actually sell Savini Jason since its already released content?

This is so sad. I feel for Gun as well. I don't believe that they're the soulless uncaring money hungry cunts that some people seem to think they are. They love Friday the 13th as much as any of us do - some of the people who doubt that probably aren't big enough fans of the franchise to be able to appreciate how much love and authenticity has been painstakingly poured into the game.   

No video game has ever meant more to me - with the possible exception of Silent Hill 2, for very different reasons. 

I had the worst most excruciatingly painful and traumatic year in 2016 and was still recovering from the fallout of that well into 2017...

I'd been quietly anticipating this game as I'd been a Friday the 13th fan since I was like 6 years old and used to watch all the movies with my brother - constantly anxious that my mum would walk in at any moment and have the intrinsic knowledge that it was an R rated movie (in Australia anyway) and banish us to an alternate dimension where VCR's didn't exist. 

Having been hopelessly depressed and heartbroken for months on end, right around the time Friday the 13th: The Game released last May, things started to get a little brighter.

The game was definitely a big part of that. It was one of the main reasons that things started to turn around for me around that time, and for that I'll always be thankful to the people who created it.

It got me through June-July 2017, a year on from the vague horribleness I alluded to earlier... That period which I'd been dreading more than anything up until around the time of the game's release, actually turned into a really good time in my life. Obviously there were other factors in that as well but the game was a significant one, as well as the friends I'd made playing it.  It may have saved my life - no hyperbole. 

I'd never really played multiplayer games much in the past and it's funny looking back on when I was awaiting this game's release, the multiplayer was an afterthought in my mind. I figured I'd be all about the single player (not aware that it wouldn't be added till later). Needless to say, I was wrong.  

I played my first game on PS4 on day 1. Counselor on random - happened to be Chad. Perhaps foreshadowing future events involving me being Chad, in hindsight - haha.  

Had no idea what I was doing as I walked around aimlessly. More or less unaware that objectives existed. Being in the vicinity of Jason was genuinely unnerving at that point. I somehow ended up being the last counselor alive by sheer accident, if anything I wanted J-dog to eviscerate me much sooner than he did. I pressed X near a tent and climbed inside it without even really meaning to. Jason showed up and sleeping bagged poor Chad to death. And the rest is history. 

For all it's technical flaws (especially lately...), I could have fun playing any iteration of this game for the rest of my life. I'm sure many others feel the same. 

I made some awesome friends through F13 - some of which I talk to pretty regularly outside of the game. It helped me more than anything else has in the last 12 months and I'll always be extremely grateful for the simple fact that it exists. 

I know other people will differ from how I feel, but I love the foundation of this game (when the gamebreaking bugs are gone anyway) and personally I'd never bore of a solid playable version of the game that didn't add any new content. I always find new ways of entertaining myself in the game regardless. I know that whether it's feasible to keep it going beyond the foreseeable future is another matter entirely, but there are people out there who love the game itself and don't need endless "new stuff" added in order for it to be worth playing. I get bored of 90% of new games that I attempt to play nowadays, but this game never ceases to entertain me in one way or another.

No other video game has made me laugh as hard as this one either, and it's not even close. Whether it be the time I trolled a pair of fuckwits who were trying to team up (one of them was Chad running around with the gas, his friend was Jason) and baited Jason into slashing his dear friend Chad to death while attempting to slash me - that being his only kill in the game. Or when a party of three were teaming in a lobby I was hosting for about 90 minutes, then I fixed the car and ran over all three of them in hilariously brutal and merciless fashion. Then I picked up an injured Buggzy, drove all the way to the exit, but what's that? One of the teamers has now returned as Tommy? Well I better drive all the way back to Packanack Lodge, run him over as he attempts to shoot me through the windshield... Narrowly avoid the noob Jason trying to stop the car, drive back to the exit and escape unscathed. LOL. Then I got back into the lobby, they all readied up - eager for vengeance. You were kicked. Host has left the game. 😁 (sidenote: it's always a noob Jason in games like this, a good Jason would put an end to such shenanigans)

That's not even mentioning the countless meltdowns I've heard on mic throughout the last 12+ months. Endlessly amusing. 

Thank you Gun/Illfonic for creating this game.

Please work on the bugs now and have faith that there are people like me who genuinely love the game and aren't going to bore of it immediately if nothing new is added content-wise in the future.  

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

I just wish this lawsuit would have killed the game BEFORE this shitty engine update. 

Then leave. Spouting off doomsday like Crazy Ralph is not helping, especially since you, nor anyone who shares your opinion, are in full possession of the facts. All we have is speculation to go off of. They can and will continue to release bug fixes, dedicated servers for consoles, etc. They have even said as much, in fact I take this as an excellent time for them to do so since that's all they can legally do, so if they can make the game play and feel more responsive and smooth I am all for it in the mean time. 

10 hours ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

Also, there have been no legal rulings in this case. No other merchandising has been halted in other aspects. Why is GUN prematurely doing this? They have no legal restrictions right now. 

They're doing it, frankly, because they probably don't want to get sued as well. I mean I would't want to be sued, would you?

• Like 1