wes

Legal Claim and the Road Ahead

37 minutes ago, MichaelMemers said:

Look at the developer statements.

"We’ve now been forced to accept that the lawsuit makes future content for the game, including alternate play modes, new playable Jasons and Counselors, and new maps, unfeasible now or in the future"

" So what does this mean exactly? There will be no additional content added to Friday the 13th: The Game. This includes “Uber Jason”, The Grendel Map, Jason Kill Packs, Clothing, Emotes and new Counselors. "

" Deeply sorry to share this news. Starting today, no future DLC content for F13 will be released. As you know, it's been our lifelong dream to create a video game based on F13, and thanks to your support, we were lucky enough to realize this dream. We sincerely thank you. "

These are not the statements of someone who believes that in just a few months things will clear up and they can get back to work. The game is done and dedicated servers aren't going to happen. We'll get a patch or two to make the game a little less broken and then they're done.

^
They are flat out LITERALLY saying "THERE WILL BE NO ADDITIONAL CONTENT ADDED TO FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE GAME". People can hope, and wish, and dream all they want to, but it's not happening. The devs are throwing in the towel. I recognize that defeated tone anywhere, because I recently adopted it too.

I'm so bitter right now. Just glad I decided to save those hours of my life by not grinding out the weapon swap levels. 

Please tell April Fools has been moved to June. Uber Jason is all I have been wanting. This can't be real.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, SolidusPrime said:

^
They are flat out LITERALLY saying "THERE WILL BE NO ADDITIONAL CONTENT ADDED TO FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE GAME". People can hope, and wish, and dream all they want to, but it's not happening. The devs are throwing in the towel. I recognize that defeated tone anywhere, because I recently adopted it too.

I'm so bitter right now. Just glad I decided to save those hours of my life by not grinding out the weapon swap levels. 

That’s what I’m trying to say! They aren’t saying it’s postponed and may be possible in the future. They flat out said it WILL NOT BE POSSIBLE NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. They went out of their way to word it like that. So now hackers get Jason X. Finished Jason X. With stats and kills. But we never will. 

5 minutes ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

There’s no more money to be made. 

UNTIL THE LAWSUIT IS OVER.

Once the lawsuit is settled, they'll likely be able to add more content. You're assuming this is the end and they're just giving up. They can fix all the issues now, and release new content later on. It's not the end of the world, it's just temporary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Truth said:

UNTIL THE LAWSUIT IS OVER.

Once the lawsuit is settled, they'll likely be able to add more content. You're assuming this is the end and they're just giving up. They can fix all the issues now, and release new content later on. It's not the end of the world, it's just temporary.

It’s not temporary. In GUN’s own words. They say it will not be possible now or in the future. They said it. And this lawsuit will not end soon. 

Just now, Charlie Chainsaw said:

It’s not temporary. In GUN’s own words. They say it will not be possible now or in the future. They said it. And this lawsuit will not end soon. 

I'm done going in circles with you. Believe what you want, but stop being such a pessimist here. It's annoying.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Truth said:

I'm done going in circles with you. Believe what you want, but stop being such a pessimist here. It's annoying.

I’m being a realist. It’s their own words. You’re just refusing to read them. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

Why is GUN prematurely doing this? They have no legal restrictions right now. 

They do, actually. In pursuant to Victor Miller's termination of copywrite claim, he demands compensation for all Jason derivative content created after June 2018. Depending on how  the District Court of Connecticut decides the case, that could mean he (miller) might be entitled to compensation for any and all content created AFTER that date. Not knowing whether he filed an injunction against Illfonic/Gun, its possible Gun is airing on the side of caution not to cause a legal headache later.

• Like 1

So does this mean that instead of new counselors, will get dedicated servers faster and beta additions faster?

I’m saddened by this, but until the beta animations come back, I’ve lost all hope in this game. Sorry, Wes and the staff.

People really thinking they're gonna resume development if this thing gets held up for a year+?

Christ...It's over, guys.

Best we can hope for is FIXES to the game we currently have. And I'd be satisfied if they could deliver on that, at the very least.

This isn't the end of the world. It means there's nothing left to do other than FIX THE GAME.

They're being forced (legally) to do what most of us have been asking for. I just doubt they're able to do it. The track record isn't in their favor.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AldermachXI said:

People really thinking they're gonna resume development if this thing gets held up for a year+?

Best we can hope for is FIXES to the game we currently have. And I'd be satisfied if they could deliver on that, at the very least.

This isn't the end of the world. It means there's nothing left to do other than FIX THE GAME.

They're being forced (legally) to do what most of us have been asking for. I just doubt they're able to do it. The track record isn't in their favor.

The issue is that they have no incentive to fix a game that they can no longer add content to and thus no longer make money off of. The game is a money pit now.

• Like 2

@wes, could you clarify the press release at least? Can you give us the information rather than watch us argue, I'm not done with this game, I'd like to know if you are?

(read this as curious not angry.)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AldermachXI said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they saw this whole lawsuit thing going on an JUMPED at the chance to quit working on the game. It gets them out of getting trashed on the forums all the time, and they don't have to live up to anything they've talked about doing.

• Thanks 1

It's funny how people can't seem to grasp what NO NEW CONTENT NOW OR IN THE FUTURE means. 

Do people really think gun/illfonic plan on twiddling their thumbs all day/everyday while they wait months/years for this lawsuit to wrap up? It's been two years already. It's over. What we have is what we have. Plain and simple.

3 minutes ago, SolidusPrime said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they saw this whole lawsuit thing going on an JUMPED at the chance to quit working on the game. It gets them out of getting trashed on the forums all the time, and they don't have to live up to anything they've talked about doing.

Nonsense. They've got nothing left after this game and the license is the only thing that brought them success. Nobody would throw this away, regardless of the state it is in.

9 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

They do, actually. In pursuant to Victor Miller's termination of copywrite claim, he demands compensation for all Jason derivative content created after June 2018. Depending on how  the District Court of Connecticut decides the case, that could mean he (miller) might be entitled to compensation for any and all content created AFTER that date. Not knowing whether he filed an injunction against Illfonic/Gun, its possible Gun is airing on the side of caution not to cause a legal headache later.

So, then can’t they just unlock Jason X? He’s already in the game. 

The argument is basically this, that future content is done because they're not gonna keep paying content devs while the lawsuit is ongoing only for them to work/come back after the lawsuit, where many probably move on to another project if the lawsuit takes a while.

Solution? Make all the content you can possibly make, all the maps, characters and etc, keep them saved up and don't release them when the lawsuit is over

1 minute ago, MichaelMemers said:

The issue is that they have no incentive to fix a game that they can no longer add content to and thus no longer make money off of. The game is a money pit now.

Well a functional game would give reason for people to keep playing and would actually be able to sustain new players - even if it's not bringing in huge numbers of new players.

F13 adopts new players all the time. Especially on PC. I think the problem is that most don't stick around for more than a few hours because it's a buggy mess. They don't have the same will to tolerate the bugs that diehard fans do...

If the game was bug free for a solid month, I guarantee we'd see numbers steadily rise. The game is fun enough to play casually for years if not for all the bugs.

You see that people come back with each and every patch, giving it another chance. But when they see things get worse, they don't stick around. That was painfully evident with this patch. Player numbers spiked, then quickly plummeted. 

2 minutes ago, Big Daddy J said:

I'm frankly devastated. I can't begin to explain how excited I was for Uber Jason. I hope Victor Miller goes down in flames.

To be fair if it wasn’t for him we would even have a Jason X ironically. Besides I understand where your frustration comes from but this isn’t such a black and white issue.

1 hour ago, Thatguyinktown said:

Right? Imagine my surprise when I discovered I am an optimist at heart. I mean, I'm sure this is just Broken Window Fallacy, but maybe this unintentional develop break could help shore up the existing game? I'm sure they don't want to cut loose an investment this long in development.

I'm also an optimist, hoping that future DLC is still possible.

And after reading the lawsuit through the link you posted, I envision the first new kill pack to include Jason forcing the counselor to read all 17 pages of it until their head explodes.

18 minutes ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

So, then can’t they just unlock Jason X? He’s already in the game. 

That depends on the definition of "release" means in terms of this and any future copyright dispute

I'm not going to defend the fact that this news was broken elsewhere, as opposed to directly to the fans that made this game happen, but I do feel that attacking Wes for a short and simple statement on the matter is a bit unwarranted.  I get that everyone is shocked and pissed (myself included), but having been entangled in legal B.S. before, I understand that it's hard to speak out on a legal matter with out screwing yourself.  This seems to be Wes' concern here, quote: "Once I have a clearer picture of what details I can discuss, I will."

So, for now I'll be upset about hearing the news second-hand, but not the lack of an in-depth response on the ongoing matter.  Just please don't go radio silent on us Gun, even regularly checking in to tell us that there is no news to report would be appreciated!

• Like 1