wes

Legal Claim and the Road Ahead

2 minutes ago, Barbara Ann said:

Does the lawsuit also unable the possibility of original content? Film content is not everything. 

Original maps, original Jasons (Like Savini), original counselors and original gamemodes should still be possible. Or am I mistaken? 

I think the issue is -- anything creative (i.e., beyond fixes and patches) is considered "intellectual property" the moment it enters the game, since it's a licensed property. So yes, even adding original stuff instantly makes it part of the F13 game franchise-- thereby further complicating an ongoing legal suit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

The one thing no one is saying is that this is not a permanent thing. 

Yes, future development has to be postponed until the lawsuit is resolved, but that IS finite. It could be weeks or months, or yes, a year or two.

Again, neither Cunningham nor Miller want to see this franchise shrivel up and die. They both want the lawsuit to end amicably so that money can be made again and the franchise can continue.

I, for one, can and will wait. I'm confident we'll see Uber Jason, Grendel and more. We just have to be patient and let it happen in its own good time.

I said it's not a permanent thing. (I think you mixed things up there)

Once things settle down and the rights are figured out, they'll be able to get back to new content. Until then, they can fix everything they added.

2 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

The one thing no one is saying is that this is not a permanent thing. 

Yes, future development has to be postponed until the lawsuit is resolved, but that IS finite. It could be weeks or months, or yes, a year or two.

Again, neither Cunningham nor Miller want to see this franchise shrivel up and die. They both want the lawsuit to end amicably so that money can be made again and the franchise can continue.

I, for one, can and will wait. I'm confident we'll see Uber Jason, Grendel and more. We just have to be patient and let it happen in its own good time.

Yeah, it's the only hope here. It's just difficult due to the amount of time the lawsuit has already been dragging on.

If it could finally get resolved before too long, there's a chance. The complication, I'd guess here, would be that it was Cunningham that allowed them to use the rights. If Miller gets them instead, could be a different kettle of fish.

My speculation, of course.

I just wish this lawsuit would have killed the game BEFORE this shitty engine update. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

I don’t think you guys are reading the statement closely enough. It’s not saying that Jason X and ALL future content is postponed. It’s saying that it is CANCELLED. It’s dead. Otherwise they would have worded it differently. This game is dead. Bug fixes mean nothing when there are no dedicated servers. No more playing online at all. And no more leveling up Offline to unlock in game content. 

Promising that content they're not legally able to add currently might become available later as a way of maintaining sales would probably count as violating the court order, regardless of if the team internally thinks that's a possibility.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Truth said:

But they're both already in the game. That's why people on pc are able to hack Uber and use him. Retro was just a rework, so it's not really new content.

For some reason, it sounds as though they can’t get around it, or they’d try. “No new content” seems to mean just that. I HOPE you’re right, but I have a feeling they’re already aware of what they can/can’t do.

1 minute ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

I just wish this lawsuit would have killed the game BEFORE this shitty engine update. 

Comment of the year. Congrats!

I find it rather intriguing that it's not "we are shelving future content for now," and it ended up being "we are canceling future content."

Here’s the thing, it says nothing about possibly releasing new content in the future if/when the lawsuit gets resolved.  It’s like they purposely worded it to say, new content is over, forever.  That is the part that is both confusing me and bumming me out. What if, hypothetically, the lawsuit gets resolved in 2 weeks?  Could they not put out new content then?

1 minute ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

Are you seriously this negative or is it something you do for attention? Either way; your inferences are inaccurate to say the least. It amazes me that people like you actually come here, read, and post on something you have such animosity towards. You do not know how long the lawsuit will stall things; at this point no one knows. You do not know what will be done (bug fixes etc) and your statement which contradicts the official statements is just your usual vitriol. Will the game die because of this - well that depends on how long the lawsuit goes on for. Will the devs work on fixes and dedicated servers...I believe them when they say they will. You seem to assume the worst on every aspect which I hope is just an act you do on here and not a true characteristic of you in the real world. 

• Like 4

I think the developers of F13 game did what no one else had been able to do, re-create the look and feel of the movies and make them fun.
But where there's a startup trying to create something for the benefit of a large fanbase, there's an opposing side trying to get their cut. 

Here's hoping Victor Miller will rage quit mid lawsuit and end up in the salt mines.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jasix said:

Are you seriously this negative or is it something you do for attention? Either way; your inferences are inaccurate to say the least. It amazes me that people like you actually come here, read, and post on something you have such animosity towards. You do not know how long the lawsuit will stall things; at this point no one knows. You do not know what will be done (bug fixes etc) and your statement which contradicts the official statements is just your usual vitriol. Will the game die because of this - well that depends on how long the lawsuit goes on for. Will the devs work on fixes and dedicated servers...I believe them when they say they will. You seem to assume the worst on every aspect which I hope is just an act you do on here and not a true characteristic of you in the real world. 

Already out of reactions, but this was VERY well said. People need to take a moment to breathe before jumping to conclusions. Especially with something like this, where not even the people involved truly know what will happen or what this means. Everyone needs to take a step back and let them figure this out. This is not the end of the game. This is a temporary situation that will be resolved when the lawsuit is.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AdrianBlackbear said:

I find it rather intriguing that it's not "we are shelving future content for now," and it ended up being "we are canceling future content."

3 minutes ago, Treymaker said:

Here’s the thing, it says nothing about possibly releasing new content in the future if/when the lawsuit gets resolved.  It’s like they purposely worded it to say, new content is over, forever.  That is the part that is both confusing me and bumming me out. What if, hypothetically, the lawsuit gets resolved in 2 weeks?  Could they not put out new content then?

I don't think they're legally allowed to say that. Even if the lawsuit is somehow resolved tomorrow and the game continues as if nothing happened, saying this is a possibility right now would count as marketing the hypothetical future content. There are likely provisions in the court order itself to prevent this.

To use a very simplified example, I can't say that something I'm making MIGHT have Mickey Mouse in it in the future. Disney could come after me for making such a claim.

1 hour ago, TuffinMuffin said:

Thanks Victor Miller, I'm not one to insult people very often, but... 

He's a greedy piece of shit.

I really wish people would stop blaming him directly.  No ruling was made to shift this outcome today.  THey've known about the suit since 2016, when it was initially filed with Victor Miller as the DEFENDANT, simply because he attempted to assert his perceived "rights".

This content that was pushed out?  That was an internal decision, and this decision to stop new content was the studio's decision, not that of a court or decision.

15 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I'd really like to read the ruling that included the game in this mess.

You won't because their wasn't one. 

1 minute ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

I really wish people would stop blaming him directly.  No ruling was made to shift this outcome today.  THey've known about the suit since 2016, when it was initially filed with Victor Miller as the DEFENDANT, simply because he attempted to assert his perceived "rights".

This content that was pushed out?  That was an internal decision, and this decision to stop new content was the studio's decision, not that of a court or decision.

That isn't true. You're confusing the initial lawsuit with the new claim Miller filed. While the initial lawsuit didn't affect the development of this game, the new one does.

well, they dont own any rights really, so they really couldn't, they are using the rights for the game, its all about licencing for gun, and the lawsuit is about how owns the rights.

Also, strange this isn't on the games twitter,  fans and game owners should be informed of this, on all official channels the gun/ill have. 

14 minutes ago, Jasix said:

So this new update didn’t ruin the game? Yes. It did. It’s the worst it’s ever been. And now it may be permanently stuck that way. 

2 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

GUN/Ill hold a stake in this and maybe they should sue miller?

Agreed. I really hope they don’t go silent and fight this alongside Sean Cunningham.

I have been in hibernation for quite some time due to not really having much spare time and then lack of energy when I get time at the moment due to work. However, let me say I am very pleased with the result of having Victoria added for the community and I had high hopes for the rest of the update that has unfortunately thrown many annoying glitches into the game. I am glad to see the commitment to resolve the on going bugs, but its still a little unnerving to be reading that message. In my mind if things continue to go pare shaped I read it as they will throw in the towel and move on. I know that's hard to say but I get the impression F13 could be in a hopeless situation due to that legal action. Whatever the case they should stick to their word and resolve the current game problems.

I don't want to be highly critical and I commend the developers for putting family first, but there are many of us out there who work damn hard through weekends and at peek times pushing 90-100 hour weeks. If they did the same we might have gotten more/better quality content before this buffer stop. For the games sake I hope more content can be released but its looking very unlikely. I absolutely hate being so negative, but this is turning out like a failing company in denial that's going to be forced into administration one way or another.

With such greedy and immoral people out there with their stupid lawsuits, we'll have to just copy but rebrand everything as our own unique content for future games! No that's not Jason its Jeremy and he's wearing a cement bag on his head because he has facial hair disfigurement. He kills with a stolen sword and goes after teens on nature treks in the wooded mountains. He prefers to kill on Saturdays because he has a busy weekday schedule, oh no he is nothing like Jason or the F13 franchise etc etc...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

So this new update didn’t ruin the game? Yes. It did. It’s the worst it’s ever been. And now it may be permanently stuck that way. 

Calm down dude... They can still fix things, they just (temporarily) can't add new content. Bug fixes have nothing to do with the lawsuit...

4 minutes ago, a kamikaze man said:

we'll have to just copy but rebrand everything as our own unique content for future games! No that's not Jason its Jeremy and he's wearing a cement bag on his head because he has facial hair disfigurement. He kills with a stolen sword and goes after teens on nature treks in the wooded mountains. He prefers to kill on Saturdays because he has a busy weekday schedule, oh no he is nothing like Jason or the F13 franchise etc etc...

Did you just write the synopsis for Slasher Vol1: Summer Camp? ;) 

Honestly, thats where GUN should go without IllFonic. Bring on "Summer Camp"!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Truth said:

Calm down dude... They can still fix things, they just (temporarily) can't add new content. Bug fixes have nothing to do with the lawsuit...

They say they will. But my worry is that there is no incentive for them to. Like others. There’s no more money to be made. 

Also, there have been no legal rulings in this case. No other merchandising has been halted in other aspects. Why is GUN prematurely doing this? They have no legal restrictions right now.