wes

Legal Claim and the Road Ahead

Charlie Chainsaw, all you've been doing in both of the threads covering this topic is vent your frustrations at the developers in an unproductive way. You keep assuming bad faith and incompetence on their part based on very little evidence, and I don't understand why you think that's helpful to anyone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Truth said:

Why not? Just because they can't add more content right now, doesn't mean this is permanent.

They can't add more F13 content. That doesn't mean they couldn't do dlc's for other properties in the game. As far as I understand the courts would have to make a specific ruling against it. People have a right to make a living and this game is their living.

2 minutes ago, BrokenFattHardy said:

They can't make money without releasing new content.

1 minute ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

Because they can’t make any money off it anymore now. 

This is the current situation. It literally changed overnight, it can do so again.

Once the lawsuit is cleared up, I'm sure they will be free to release whatever they want to. Fixing the game will only help retain the limited number of players we have now, until they can start making new content again.

5 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

Based on what I skimmed through, Victor Millers argument holds no weight and is in fact a "...disingenuous money grab". I think we can all rest easy, as its only a matter of time before Mr Miller expends his resources on this affair.

They might as well add new content then, if it looks like they're winning the lawsuit anyway 

@ShiftySamurai @wes

Just now, Slasher_Clone said:

They can't add more F13 content. That doesn't mean they couldn't do dlc's for other properties in the game. As far as I understand the courts would have to make a specific ruling against it. People have a right to make a living and this game is their living.

So in theory, they can continue on with making clothing, counselors and maps, they just can't be from the movie?

Just now, FinalBoy said:

So in theory, they can continue on with making clothing, counselors and maps, they just can't be from the movie?

Hence my ideas for a suburban neighborhood map, a hospital, a mansion and etc.

Perhaps release the lazarus boat under a different name for now and have manhattan since that's a city

Just now, Ralph_E_Fresh said:

Playable or bugged, the game needs new content and maps.

Is there any way around this lawsuit? I understand Millet wrote the first script but he didn't write the entire series, so I don't see how he holds the rights to the series

I agree the game needs content. I plan to keep playing as I enjoy the core gameplay.

Victor only worked on the first one , but he created Jason Voorhees, Pamela voorhees and camp crystal lake, so anything related to Jason himself is the issue. Using the crystal lake settings, and Pamela voorhees would also fall into this. I may be mistaken, but that’s my assumption.

Another possibly is this is actually Sean Cunningham pulling the plug, as there’s uncertainty with the franchise.

I’m surprised they can’t add any new counsellors or modes? Create new counsellors not based on a movie character, and maps not set at crystal lake. 

Heck they could do an abandoned camp map, and leave out all referrences to Crystal lake.

3 minutes ago, Lurdiak said:

Charlie Chainsaw, all you've been doing in both of the threads covering this topic is vent your frustrations at the developers in an unproductive way. You keep assuming bad faith and incompetence on their part based on very little evidence, and I don't understand why you think that's helpful to anyone.

It’s not meant to be helpful to anyone. 

Just now, Slasher_Clone said:

The problem is that any content released in this game would automatically qualify as derivative of the Friday the 13th brand, which is what is being contested in the lawsuit. Essentially, any new counselor they add could end up being the property of Victor Miller if the lawsuit goes his way.

I feel bad for them but they can't argue that this game is their livelihood in court, a judge would simply tell them to make a new game.

Just now, Truth said:

This is the current situation. It literally changed overnight, it can do so again.

Once the lawsuit is cleared up, I'm sure they will be free to release whatever they want to. Fixing the game will only help retain the limited number of players we have now, until they can start making new content again.

Look at the developer statements.

"We’ve now been forced to accept that the lawsuit makes future content for the game, including alternate play modes, new playable Jasons and Counselors, and new maps, unfeasible now or in the future"

" So what does this mean exactly? There will be no additional content added to Friday the 13th: The Game. This includes “Uber Jason”, The Grendel Map, Jason Kill Packs, Clothing, Emotes and new Counselors. "

" Deeply sorry to share this news. Starting today, no future DLC content for F13 will be released. As you know, it's been our lifelong dream to create a video game based on F13, and thanks to your support, we were lucky enough to realize this dream. We sincerely thank you. "

These are not the statements of someone who believes that in just a few months things will clear up and they can get back to work. The game is done and dedicated servers aren't going to happen. We'll get a patch or two to make the game a little less broken and then they're done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ralph_E_Fresh said:

They might as well add new content then, if it looks like they're winning the lawsuit anyway 

I think because they are in litigation, all content must be postponed pending a verdict.

5 minutes ago, Ralph_E_Fresh said:

I don't think they're gonna keep paying the team to stick around in case the lawsuit ends which we don't know when.

Forum Members will be the last to know so everyone keep an eye on Bloody Disgusting for further details......

According to the Bloody Disgusting article, it means they can't do Uber Jason, Grendal, kill packs, maps, clothing, emotes and new counselors.

It's totally across the board. They can, and will do, continued bug fixes and dedicated servers.

But content in general is shut down due to the lawuit continuing to be in limbo.

2 minutes ago, FinalBoy said:

No if a ruling was issued then they can't make those things but they could do something unrelated to F13. I'm not a lawyer but from my understanding of it they can get around Millers suit, by naming the dlc something else. As long as their not trying to profit off the F13 name in the process. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ralph_E_Fresh said:

Hence my ideas for a suburban neighborhood map, a hospital, a mansion and etc.

Perhaps release the lazarus boat under a different name for now and have manhattan since that's a city

Interesting. The way they were talking it not only sounded like they couldn't release more content, it sounded like they didn't even want to.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Truth said:

@wes I expected a bit more of an explanation than that...

Get your drink and try again.

What does this mean for the content you already announced (Uber/Retro remake)? That would be a good place to start. It might not be your fault at all, but not releasing Uber would be a big deal...

You can’t release something you’re not legally allowed to release.

1 minute ago, Slasher_Clone said:

No if a ruling was issued then they can't make those things but they could do something unrelated to F13. I'm not a lawyer but from my understanding of it they can get around Millers suit, by naming the dlc something else. As long as their not trying to profit off the F13 name in the process. 

But the DLC would still be attached to a game literally called Friday the 13th. You can't make a case that you're not profiting off the name in that situation. The only way to make money off new content without violating the court order would be if it was part of a separate game.

Does the lawsuit also unable the possibility of original content? Film content is not everything. 

Original maps, original Jasons (Like Savini), original counselors and original gamemodes should still be possible. Or am I mistaken? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barbara Ann said:

Does the lawsuit also unable the possibility of original content? Film content is not everything. 

Original maps, original Jasons (Like Savini), original counselors and original gamemodes should still be possible. Or am I mistaken? 

You are mistaken.

3 minutes ago, JackTV said:

You can’t release something you’re not legally allowed to release.

But they're both already in the game. That's why people on pc are able to hack Uber and use him. Retro was just a rework, so it's not really new content.

I don’t think you guys are reading the statement closely enough. It’s not saying that Jason X and ALL future content is postponed. It’s saying that it is CANCELLED. It’s dead. Otherwise they would have worded it differently. This game is dead. Bug fixes mean nothing when there are no dedicated servers. No more playing online at all. And no more leveling up Offline to unlock in game content. 

The one thing no one is saying is that this is not a permanent thing. 

Yes, future development has to be postponed until the lawsuit is resolved, but that IS finite. It could be weeks or months, or yes, a year or two.

Again, neither Cunningham nor Miller want to see this franchise shrivel up and die. They both want the lawsuit to end amicably so that money can be made again and the franchise can continue.

I, for one, can and will wait. I'm confident we'll see Uber Jason, Grendel and more. We just have to be patient and let it happen in its own good time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Barbara Ann said:

Yes because said content is attatched to the Friday the 13th license.

1 minute ago, Lurdiak said:

But the DLC would still be attached to a game literally called Friday the 13th. You can't make a case that you're not profiting off the name in that situation. The only way to make money off new content without violating the court order would be if it was part of a separate game.

Think about it like Farcry's Vietnam expansion, it's a separate game running in the same engine, it uses old assets and makes something new. 

Just now, Barbara Ann said:

That's honestly what I'm hoping. I've said this before the lawsuit, not everything needs to be canon to the films. And now that it CAN'T be, I see no reason they shouldn't work on original content. This game seriously lacks enough content as is and it would be a shame if they stopped pumping things out.