wes

Legal Claim and the Road Ahead

1 hour ago, PopSteeb said:

THANK YOU LORD JESUS AND THE LAWYER !!

Sorry to disappoint, but that article is from last July.

I haven’t had time to read through everything, did anyone from the Devs side ever respond to give an answer on why their statement was worded to sound so definitive. As in, why did they say we will not add new content now or anytime in the future, instead of saying, until this court case is resolved, all new content is postponed?  That is the thing from yesterday I never understood. Also, I did they ever answer why they can’t unlock Uber Jason since he is already in the game? (Both in the files and in VC 2.0)?

14 minutes ago, Treymaker said:

I haven’t had time to read through everything, did anyone from the Devs side ever respond to give an answer on why their statement was worded to sound so definitive. As in, why did they say we will not add new content now or anytime in the future, instead of saying, until this court case is resolved, all new content is postponed?  That is the thing from yesterday I never understood. Also, I did they ever answer why they can’t unlock Uber Jason since he is already in the game? (Both in the files and in VC 2.0)?

The official announcement states that they cannot release new content until the lawsuit is resolved (which presumably means that once the lawsuit is resolved, they can).  I understand the confusion, the numerous statements (and game articles created from those statements) tend to make it sound more permanent than the official statement released. But since this statement comes straight from Gun Media itself (and posted on here as well), I'm going to believe this one. http://f13game.com/news/end-of-content/

Legally speaking, couldn't you release Uber Jason as is right now in the next patch? He wouldn't be considered future DLC if you release him ASAP. He's already in the game, and I'm sure the kills are too, somewhere in the coding as well as the Grendel map.

Side note; Victor Killer isn't gonna try to get the game stopped completely right? As in; "I don't like it, I wasn't a part of it, shut it all down, nobody can play."

Cause if he does that, I will gladly be a part of the hundreds of thousands of fans losing their shit about it.

2 hours ago, Truth said:

Sorry to disappoint, but that article is from last July.

I was on my phone when I posted the article. Sorry for any confusion as I did know it was from last July. My point in posting it was to bring forth the question as to why and how this has changed now as according to that article, what is happening shouldn't even be able to happen.

• Like 1

Not gonna read 6 pages , just see if I got the just of this . V. Miller , who wrote the screenplay for Friday the 13th part 1 ,a screenplay WITHOUT Jason even in it , I heard that was a LAST MINUTE decision , was so moved by the Friday the 13th Universes joyous approval of the Friday the 13th the game , that he now , like almost 3 years later , want's some $$ money or the game developers can NOT  release new content ?  And , the ruling was for Miller to what ? Shove a hardcopy of Friday the 13th the game UP HIS ASS ??  The Screenplay writer ?  In what COURT did this OCCUR ?   This , plus their little Savini Jason rip - off FIASCO , well it doesn't look good !!  I think the devs ( we know who they are ) ( and THEY know who they are ) , they got in WAY over thier heads , they should have always had DEDICATED SERVERS and Waited until the HARD COPY version came out to even ANNOUNCE the game and THEN , making us wait forevr for an UPDATE , that as far as I'm concerned , we NEVER GOT ,  can a coalition of Gamers S U E  t he devs for WASTING ALL OUR TIME ?  I'm SERIOUS !! SUE ' em for what littles left of thier ' The whole GAME WAS A SCAM '  COMPANY.  At least get enough to pay the LAWYERS, TRUTH .  Peace Out !!

Let’s wait to see if the game is removed from the digital stores by the deadline date. If no, well that’s a bad look to say the least. Either way though, I’m having a tough time to believe this isn’t just an excuse that will be followed by no dedicated servers.  Sure seems like if they cared we’d get all content teased released in current state by end of this month when I read the backstory.  

9 minutes ago, TimmyJarvis said:

Let’s wait to see if the game is removed from the digital stores by the deadline date. If no, well that’s a bad look to say the least. Either way though, I’m having a tough time to believe this isn’t just an excuse that will be followed by no dedicated servers.  Sure seems like if they cared we’d get all content teased released in current state by end of this month when I read the backstory.  

A cease and desist would be issued if they can't release future content, if there's no cease and desist they can release content

6 minutes ago, Ralph_E_Fresh said:

A cease and desist would be issued if they can't release future content, if there's no cease and desist they can release content

Ask god buddy.

12 minutes ago, Ralph_E_Fresh said:

I’m not so sure it’s that black and white. Isn’t cease and desist to stop a practice?  Demanding that it stop is not releasing the right to claim damages for prior practice as far as I know.

I still can't believe this... Victor Miller had all these years to file a lawsuit, but waits until 2016 to do so? Pretty shady that he files the lawsuit around the time the hype for F13: The Game was building up. Victor Miller doesn't care about the F13 franchise, he just cares about the money now that the franchise is popular again.

"A derivative work prepared under authority of the grant before its termination may continue to be utilized under the terms of the grant after its termination"

This game can therefore release future content, as it may continue to be ultilized under the terms of the grant even after the termination, the grant which included all the content under development.

Case closed.

"but this privilege does not extend to the preparation after the termination of other derivative works based upon the copyrighted work "

This doesn't pertain to future content in the game, this pertains to Other Derivative works. Future content isn't other derivative works, as it's future content for a Deriative work that was prepared before the termination and may continue the terms(future content) even after termination.

The game can therefore continue the terms of the grant, which includes further development on this specific derivative work until whenever the terms /contract expires.

In short they can continue working on the derivative work of Friday the 13th the game and the terms of it(future content, servers and etc), as it was prepared prior to termination and may continue under the same terms(future content and etc) after the termination.

They simply cannot make another  derivative work(Aka another game, film, action figure and etc after the termination, they basically can't hand anyone else the copyright, they can't make new ones, existing terms continue after termination. Future content for Friday the 13th the game isn't another derivative work, its a term of the derivative work which they can continue.

All terms made prior to termination may continue, Friday The 13Th the game may release future content.

No new terms can be made after the termination however, so no new films, games, books, etc they can only continue to make stuff for existing terms/works.

34 minutes ago, guitar.zombie said:

Are you a lawyer? 

He likely went to expertlaw.com/forums and asked there. Great site, helped me with legal questions about my housing, fan fictions and other intellectual property.

I'm still confused.  What his the problem ?  Even SLEEVEDBIKER made a Farewell to Friday the 13th the game video. Wouldn't V. Miller PROFIT by the NEWFOUND SUCCESS ??  Why the fuss??  Why did I WEEP all day ?  WTF is going on here ?   Ralph E boy , says everything I heard is FALSE !!  The question is not ' Are you a LAWYER ' but  ' Are you a lawyer for  GunMedia / Illfonic ? ' I think they may be looking for one  !!  WHAT about the new patch SCREWING everything up ?  I 'm AFRAID to play it as it was glitching for me the last I played it , like 2 days ago.  What and when is this so called " Dateline ?  Talk to me Ben .

15 hours ago, Flyin_J said:

I like how people assume this means they can double post.

Yeah ? I'm haing 'Learn information about ' Friday the 13th the game time "  Now , answer my questions and I promiss I'll STOP posting , O K pal ??  I need to know this SHIT as I have $$ Invested in the game and heard a lot of promises and heard a lot of CRAP today . How much more can we take ? And wouldn't dedicated SERVERS prevent getting kicked or what was that about ?  Thanks  

1 hour ago, Ralph_E_Fresh said:

"A derivative work prepared under authority of the grant before its termination may continue to be utilized under the terms of the grant after its termination"

This game can therefore release future content, as it may continue to be ultilized under the terms of the grant even after the termination, the grant which included all the content under development.

Case closed.

"but this privilege does not extend to the preparation after the termination of other derivative works based upon the copyrighted work "

This doesn't pertain to future content in the game, this pertains to Other Derivative works. Future content isn't other derivative works, as it's future content for a Deriative work that was prepared before the termination and may continue the terms(future content) even after termination.

The game can therefore continue the terms of the grant, which includes further development on this specific derivative work until whenever the terms /contract expires.

In short they can continue working on the derivative work of Friday the 13th the game and the terms of it(future content, servers and etc), as it was prepared prior to termination and may continue under the same terms(future content and etc) after the termination.

They simply cannot make another  derivative work(Aka another game, film, action figure and etc after the termination, they basically can't hand anyone else the copyright, they can't make new ones, existing terms continue after termination. Future content for Friday the 13th the game isn't another derivative work, its a term of the derivative work which they can continue.

All terms made prior to termination may continue, Friday The 13Th the game may release future content.

No new terms can be made after the termination however, so no new films, games, books, etc they can only continue to make stuff for existing terms/works.

Can we bump this comment and actually shove this in the devs faces? Either they're getting worried over nothing, or we're being duped.

And I really hope we aren't being duped.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, MrCatFun21 said:

No offense but dbd team should create whole friday the 13th: game and made it perfect but i hope the fans, jason and sean cunningham helping the owner of this game and stop the lawsuit

dbd is trash 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, al1ve said:

Can we bump this comment and actually shove this in the devs faces? Either they're getting worried over nothing, or we're being duped.

You are! 🤣

3 hours ago, al1ve said:

Ralph is not correct here. But boy does he like to think he is. See Ralph focuses EXCLUSIVELY on one aspect of the definition of "derivative works." Which is the part he keeps prattling on and on about: "derivative work prepared under authority of the grant before its termination may continue to be utilized under the terms of the grant after its termination"  Seriously, the guy sounds like a broken record. However, he fails to recognize the other aspects, and believe me I have tried to help him understand this: A “derivative work” is a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a “derivative work”. The Friday the 13th game, itself, is considered derivative content under the grant from Cunningham to GUN, this is only protected until the grant terminates (includes all content in the game). To put it simply, as others have stated before as well, ANY new content whatsoever, be it clothes, new counselors, Uber Jason, the Grendel map, emotes, etc. would represent a modification (elaboration) on the whole of the game, therefore it's ALL derivative because it represents an original work of authorship. So even though Uber Jason is within the game's data and coding, he wasn't formally released, and his being released could very well put GUN/Illfonic at risk to pay damages to Victor Miller, on the off chance he wins the lawsuit because even if they release him NOW, his presence in the game would exist beyond the termination of the grant, which would put GUN in a precarious situation, again if Miller wins. So, I imagine they have been advised by THEIR lawyers to avoid future content.

Basically, if Miller wins, GUN is screwed with ZERO lubrication. Which is why we're all hoping, and pretty confident, Sean Cunningham will win the lawsuit and buisness can resume as usual. Ralph is wrong, and is basically interpreting the legal wording in a way that best suits his arguments and not living in reality.

5 hours ago, pioneer67fkd said:

dbd is trash 

DBD have no bugs but it's a half-tedious game, I'm trying to learn to like😑.  The movement is strange the characters seem to be slipping

2 hours ago, Nickypoolicious said:

To put it simply, as others have stated before as well, ANY new content whatsoever, be it clothes, new counselors, Uber Jason, the Grendel map, emotes, etc. would represent a modification (elaboration) on the whole of the game, therefore it's ALL derivative because it represents an original work of authorship. So even though Uber Jason is within the game's data and coding, he wasn't formally released, and his being released could very well put GUN/Illfonic at risk to pay damages to Victor Miller, on the off chance he wins the lawsuit because even if they release him NOW, his presence in the game would exist beyond the termination of the grant, which would put GUN in a precarious situation, again if Miller wins. 

This isn't true, future/new content isn't a New Separate Derivative work made after the termination, it's a term made Before the termination, this it still continues after termination.

Whether future content is a term or a derivative work in of itself, it was granted prior to termination and therefore remains in effect after termination.

Why do people keep comparing DBD and F13 they are a different game, with all this shenanigans i will keep playing F13,