1 minute ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

Why can’t Jason X be unlocked? He’s already in the game, and he’s NOT part of the Friday the 13th property. 

But the game is a Friday the 13th property.  

For those looking for the original court filing of HORROR INC, MANNY COMPANY v VICTOR MILLER from 2016, its right here in it's 17 page entirety: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3034739-friday13.html

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/friday-13th-rights-at-stake-922911

Just now, Alien_Number_Six said:

Damm I felt the same way when Alien: Isolation didn't get a sequel.

It *might*. It's just rumors right now, but they pulled down the official website for maintenance right before E3

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/392855-alien-isolation-2-potentially-on-its-way-after-creative-assembly-pulls-official-site

3 minutes ago, Komatose1313 said:

I would imagine because the game itself is listed as a "Friday the 13th" IP. 

Then they would have to kill it right now. Stop sales. Kill the severs.

3 minutes ago, NScarlato said:

Jason X is still supposed to be "Jason" - the character Victor Miller is probably claiming he has some rights to.

Yeah. But he’s not. Lol. Which is why the movie was called “Jason X”. That was the legal way around the film. So the same can be done for the game. 

• Thanks 1

So.. no new content? Could they still release original content that has nothing to do with the movies themselves? Like original characters, maps and clothing?

4 minutes ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

Yet they still sell lots of other F13 Licenses such as apparel, home media, etc. so no, you're probably wrong there. Neither of us are legal wizards, so lets just see how the cards fall. I was just offering you some insight as to maybe why it can't be included after this declaration. 

Hopefully now that there will be no more content they won't be against moderate creating their own character skins etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NScarlato said:

How would this lawsuit impact original counselors or characters / locations outside of the original movie that Victor Miller has no claim to whatsoever?

If I understand it correctly, he is essentially claiming that since he wasn't an employee at the time, he holds on to the rights as the sole owner/creator and not WB or Paramount since he didn't write the movie under their employment.  Most contracts will have you sign an IP(intellectual property) release/waiver saying if you created anything for the company, those rights belong to the company and not you.  He is claiming since he wasn't employed by them then no such release is signed meaning he retains ownership of F13 as a franchise and everything related to it.  

I might be wrong but that's what I understood from it.  He is pretty much trying to claim the franchise as a whole and not just the first movie.  So anything relating to Jason or F13 belongs to him including licenses.  

6 minutes ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

Yeah. But he’s not. Lol. Which is why the movie was called “Jason X”. That was the legal way around the film. So the same can be done for the game. 

This logic would not hold up in court for one second. You don't seem to understand the difference between intellectual property and trademark, for one.

I honestly don't understand how Miller is even got a case here considering you got guys like Stan lee That we know for a fact wrote most of his own character such a Spider-Man and Daredevil and yet he's entitled to 0% of the ownership of them..

@ShiftySamurai

What about Savini Jason? Can he be unlocked for us non-backers? Or would that qualify as new content and thus not be allowed?

I am legitimately asking as we will never be given any new content for this game ever again, and I believe Savini Jason would make for a fitting send off if possible. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Gun media shouldn't have the rights to another major horror franchise ever.

^THIS.

At least this lawsuit gives them an excuse to shut this whole mess down and cast the blame elsewhere.

I guess they're off the hook for fixing this shit show now.

"We'll still be fixing bugs" my ass. They probably started sending out their resumes weeks ago.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Corkenstein said:

If I understand it correctly, he is essentially claiming that since he wasn't an employee at the time, he holds on to the rights as the sole owner/creator and not WB or Paramount since he didn't write the movie under their employment.  Most contracts will have you sign an IP release/waiver saying if you created anything for the company, those rights belong to the company. and not you.  He is claiming since he wasn't employed by them then no such release is signed meaning he retains ownership of F13 as a franchise and everything related to it.  

I might be wrong but that's what I understood from it.  He is pretty much trying to claim the franchise as a whole and not just the first movie.  

Nice of him to wait 36 years to claim this.  Opportunistic scum.

• Like 5

I guess the question would be with Jason X. He was already made, already has his kills, is already playable and technically we've all already got him in there. Is he technically new? Because he was released before this. 

And maybe the way to "fix the bug" that cause players to randomly spawn in as Jason X would just be to unlock the already created and delivered content.

• Like 3

Anyone want to update the games wikipedia page with this news?

1 minute ago, DasMurich said:

I guess the question would be with Jason X. He was already made, already has his kills, is already playable and technically we've all already got him in there. Is he technically new? Because he was released before this. 

And maybe the way to "fix the bug" that cause players to randomly spawn in as Jason X would just be to unlock the already created and delivered content.

Maybe that's their loophole since they technically already gave him to us?

I myself hope that they don't quit the Slasher horror genre because for some reason they're the only ones they had the good sense to make a horror game and take it out of the first person view and actually give you real objectives to complete... outside of Resident Evil this is probably my favorite horror game that has ever come out.. I believe they should do like dead by daylight just make the game summer camp as they originally planned and just occasionally get DLC of of the more well-known slashers..

• Like 1

I mean, this sucks for the franchise, not just the game, and really disappointed in the amount of post attack Miller,, some post of have been up for about and hour. 

Be better people, sure you might be angry, but don't be jerks about it.

Now on the bigger picture for the game, the money coming is going to be drying up, less people buying the game, less people coming in with no content, and with people talking about how bad the big update was, and the patch after that. How long can we realistically expect them to keep putting money back in to the game? Dedicated servers aren't the cheapest thing in the world

The article claimed that Victor Miller is supposedly rescinding his alleged rights in July 2018.  Can't you throw out the Jason X jason really quick before July?   Even if a buggy mess, then just fix it lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Truth said:

@Slasher_Clone We can go to war with him over it, we just can't organize it here. 

Exactly.

It's not going to help the situation in any single way, and more likely will make it worse. Simple as that.

I totally get the frustration and anger rolling around. But planning attacks on Miller just can't fly here.

17 minutes ago, ShiftySamurai said:

Art books and the soundtrack are unaffected for backers. 

Thanks for getting this info to us.

Even with all the bugs and issues, the game is still fun to me. Would I have loved more new content? Yes, I would have. But I will continue to play it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrokenFattHardy said:

That official press release does a fine job of polishing the situation with your customers, btw. Not one mention of how IllFonic keeps breaking things or that y'all's idea of QA is simulation over ACTUAL GAMEPLAY.

My single biggest gripe over the last six months.

1 minute ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

My single biggest gripe over the last six months.

If they didn't have to worry about fixing the game since launch,maybe they could have focused on making Paranoia "fun" and getting Uber Jason out there............

:chadwut:

Also why are they canceling all future content instead of just stating that any future content is on hold, until the situation is figured out? Their choice of words makes it sound like they are just done. Supposedly going to work on servers and fixes (we’ll see if that comes about)... but why word it like you are done with providing anything new? The wording is definitely worrying

• Thanks 1