RadikalGamer

Phone box trap is it an exploit or no?....POLL.

Trap Exploit by the phone box....  

152 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Jason not being able to place traps at the phone box because a counselor is using one of their traps to body block him placing his own traps, Exploit or No?

• Definitly an exploit, come on Jason's traps are being body blocked!
    • No way, people are just being outplayed and it is a stategic move on a counselors part! It is in no way body blocking and is intended.
    • I have no clue and I am waiting for a developer to chime in on the subject.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/12/2018 at 11:48 PM

This is why I started this poll as the other threads didn't have one that I saw, I am very intrigued over the results so far on this, the voters are weighing in heavily and I am especially glad I added the third vote because I think a lot of us just want to see what the developers have to say on this at this stage.  Thanks for all the votes and replies.

I think it is an unintentional and not an often thought of side effect, very clever I have to say though. I dunno... I think Jason should still be able to place traps on the phone if the other trap is there since realistically he would just move it somewhere else to place his. I voted neutral since I don't really care either way it goes since It probably wont be addressed until the current crisis is over and the wildfires are burnt over.

On 6/8/2018 at 4:07 PM, Redcat345 said:

Exploit, because the trap cannot be used or moved by Jason, causing a one way gameplay situation.

That's like claiming tipping the boat is a exploit because it's a one way situation, you can't stop Jason doing it, you can't do anything in the water to stop him killing you so must be a exploit because it's a one way situation. If he stops the car you can get out and run, if he grabs you then if you have a PK or someone to hit him you get out of his grab you have options with the car so it's not a one way situation like the boat. Maybe they need to change it that if someone in the boat has a PK and Jason go's to tip it they use the knife making Jason let go and gives you time to get away.

Just because it's a one way situation doesn't mean it's a exploit.

2 hours ago, ausanimal said:

That's like claiming tipping the boat is a exploit because it's a one way situation, you can't stop Jason doing it, you can't do anything in the water to stop him killing you so must be a exploit because it's a one way situation. If he stops the car you can get out and run, if he grabs you then if you have a PK or someone to hit him you get out of his grab you have options with the car so it's not a one way situation like the boat. Maybe they need to change it that if someone in the boat has a PK and Jason go's to tip it they use the knife making Jason let go and gives you time to get away.

Just because it's a one way situation doesn't mean it's a exploit.

Boat tipping is intended by the devs, phone trapping with Bear trap may not be.

On 6/8/2018 at 8:30 AM, pApA^LeGBa said:

traps from jason can also not be moved. and counselors also can´t trap a spot where a jason trap is. same for both sides. if counselor traps in certain place is an exploit than jason traps in certain places are also an exploit.

Wrong. Counselors can defuse them without stepping in them. Jason cannot defuse counselor traps without taking the hit, and counselors can rearm them.

42 minutes ago, Redcat345 said:

Wrong. Counselors can defuse them without stepping in them. Jason cannot defuse counselor traps without taking the hit, and counselors can rearm them.

like i said it is a balance issue. jason needs a tool/method against them. instead of magically not beeing able to place them on perfectly flat ground. And traping Jason with a trap is intended.

@RadikalGamer Well you are gullible, sorry. We are talking about the devs that made teaming with Jason legal. And XP-farming/timewasting also (at the end when most people are in spectator) both used to be in the code of conduct and got removed. Good luck.

Poll speaks for itself also.

Thread has been moderated as appropriate. Keep within the forum rules everyone.

2 threads, and a cumulative total of 13 pages arguing over whether counselor bear traps at objectives are an exploit or not. 
Not once did anyone think to seek help, or attempt to solve the problem themselves. 
Counselor bear traps can be countered, because Jason traps can be placed around said bear trap and still work. Only 1 or 2 may work depending on the position of the trap, but yes it is possible to still defend the objective. Although I don't have a video on hand, I can easily make one.

@woundcowboy since you started the other thread, describe the position of the bear traps you are encountering and I can help you with a trap formation that will still catch a counselor attempting to repair. Are they placed horizontally, vertically, angled? At what distance from objective are they placed? Etc.
Images / video would be best but I can still help simply off a good description.

Just now, Alien_Number_Six said:

What does Illfonic say? 

What does it matter? Although I can tell you it is surely unintended since our devs lack a great deal of foresight. No way they would have thought of this.

You guys are thinking of "exploits" in the wrong way however. In the context of a game, "exploit" can be interchanged with "unintended". And something unintended is not necessarily unfair or without a counter, just as something intended is not necessarily fair or possible to counter. Due to inherently bad design for example, or poor thinking on the developer's part. All aspects of a game need to be judged on their own merit, not whether they are intended.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommy86 said:

What does it matter? Although I can tell you it is surely unintended since our devs lack a great deal of foresight. No way they would have thought of this.

You guys are thinking of "exploits" in the wrong way however. In the context of a game, "exploit" can be interchanged with "unintended". And something unintended is not necessarily unfair or without a counter, just as something intended is not necessarily fair or possible to counter. Due to inherently bad design for example, or poor thinking on the developer's part. All aspects of a game need to be judged on their own merit, not whether they are intended.

Well if they don't care about it and I won't get banned for doing it that would be good to know right Tommy86? 

3 minutes ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

What does Illfonic say? 

"Oh shit another thing we didn´t think trough properly."

@RadikalGamer You said in the locked thread that the poll shows both sides. Well, duh! *insertyoudon´tsaymemehere*. That´s what every poll does. That´s the reason a poll exists to show wich side has the majority. A whooping 58% said no, it´s not an exploit. That´s what i meant when i said the poll speaks for itself.

Balance it. Instead of punishing people to use a trap for traping.  

I surely hope the developers are not making any game design decisions based on forum polls.

• Like 1

I have yet to see one argument why balancing him so he can deal with traps is not a good solution? Another sign for salty Jasons that can´t deal with anything besides the routine.

Why does everyone insist on punishing this instead of balancing it? (besides the obvious that devs aren´t capable ofc)  It is stupid for both sides that you can´t move a trap that you stepped in or triggered with the knife. Like, did we superglue it on the ground or what? And is it a very special kind of superglue that only works for jason but let´s other counselors pick up that trap?

I voted no exploit, I have gone over this in many other threads. I do not believe it is intended, and I'm pretty sure it will be patched out at some point. Most likely when it is patched out, if a counselor gets there with a trap before Jason. If they place the trap they will explode into a myriad of sparkling unicorns or something... But seriously, if a counselor trap is sprung in the spot Jason wants to trap he should be able to kick it aside like a dead body. I started doing objective trapping quite a while ago in private games with friends, it never bothered them. I was going for my trapper badge and figured I would try something new to surprise Jason, and hopefully get my badge. The sprung traps not allowing Jason to lay his traps was never my intention, it was something I found out after. Even still, I have been slaughtered many times by great alternative trap placement by my friends who put their traps in areas they knew I was headed. It's not like counselor objective trapping is unbeatable in its current form, but I have since stopped doing it. I regret even bringing up in here because after that it seems way more players are doing it, I just wanted people to know about it and asked if they believed it was an exploit or not. I do not believe it was intended to function as it is, but even still I don't believe it is an exploit. Every Jason player I tried it against in private laughed about it post game, and they all found a way around it. Hopefully the devs will fix it so Jason can kick it aside to help those who are having a hard time with it. Good luck everyone!

I have questions for the players who think trapping the fuze box is an exploit.

Is driving through the woods an exploit, because Jason morphs to the road? 

Am I exploiting Jason when I dodge a car smash with my mini map, because I know how to use my eyes and play high composure counselors?

Most relevant I think so if you answer one make it this one. Is making little piles of firecrackers, med sprays and weapons in a cabin(s) I plan on leading Jason through to kill time and run the clock. I mean I'm only supposed to have three slots, so hitting Jason with three fire cracker, a PK (or two), and healing when I need. Am I exploiting the number of slots? 

• Like 1

Could somebody list all the pro´s and con´s for keeping it/removing it?

@Slasher_Clone

Is driving through the woods an exploit, because Jason morphs to the road?  He just morphed at the wrong Location.

Am I exploiting Jason when I dodge a car smash with my mini map, because I know how to use my eyes and play high composure counselors? Do you make one of his abilities unuseable?

Most relevant I think so if you answer one make it this one. Is making little piles of firecrackers, med sprays and weapons in a cabin(s) I plan on leading Jason through to kill time and run the clock. I mean I'm only supposed to have three slots, so hitting Jason with three fire cracker, a PK (or two), and healing when I need. Am I exploiting the number of slots?  You can only hold three at a time so no Problem there.

54 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Am I exploiting Jason when I dodge a car smash with my mini map, because I know how to use my eyes and play high composure counselors?

Most relevant I think so if you answer one make it this one. Is making little piles of firecrackers, med sprays and weapons in a cabin(s) I plan on leading Jason through to kill time and run the clock. I mean I'm only supposed to have three slots, so hitting Jason with three fire cracker, a PK (or two), and healing when I need. Am I exploiting the number of slots? 

But am I exploiting the mini map and Jason being marked, do you think the devs intended this? @The Wolf with that Toast

(They did give us flare guns to mark him on the map, so maybe, imo.)

As for the stashes of goodies, how is my ability to do this and then stun Jason repeatedly not more aggravating then not putting a trap right on the fuze box? (I find players who do this either awesome or jerks that rage quit.)

PS. When you answer in a quote I can't quote you.

Can anyone give a proper reason why we should remove it when we can just give Jasone something to deal with it? You really rather have magical spots on the map where you somehow can´t place a trap? Why would anyone prefer that over a more elegant solution, where both sides can actually move traps after they stepped in or triggered it with a PK/whatever Jason get´s to do so? @The Wolf with that Toast

Every argument to just make it impossible cry´s out "i don´t wanna change my routine" loud. seriously. downright stupid to just cry for magic spots instead of having a more believable solution.

No solution required, it's just a trap.

I want more types of trap, I think the Devs should do that instead. (Timeframe whenever, they're busy with important stuff.)

1 hour ago, Slasher_Clone said:

1. Jason morph is not exact, and works on a grid. Roads or no roads. Your comparison doesn’t even come close. Maybe if  taking the car off roads prevented Jason from morphing, but that’s not the case.

2.  The map is a tool, and using it to avoid Jason, is intended. Again the map doesn’t make Jason’s shift or traps unusable.

3. You have 3 item slots, and finding more items is fine. 

Jasons traps where designed after feedback from the beta. Intended to trap objectives. The intent of the counselor placing a trap at the phone Knowing Jason can’t do anything about is the exploit. Not necessarily the trap itself it’s the reason behind it. And it makes Jason’s traps useless against objectives. 

I don’t think anyone should be punished or even discouraged from doing this. Too me it’s a Grey area, that the developers should address, and ultimately patch out, so no counselor trap can be placed within a few feet of an objective.

• Thanks 1

Jason can trap around it, or the building itself. Keep saying it makes his traps unusable, his traps still work just fine. You could try being as creative with your traps as Jason.

What exactly are you doing in a match as Jason that you neglect the phone objective so long that a counselor has time to drag a trap out there?

On 6/7/2018 at 4:24 PM, Whammigobambam said:

I choose exploit because there is no counter move Jason can make. My move would be make sure everything else is trapped and kill anyone and everyone at or around the phone house but the fact that one placed trap can alter the entire way people prefer to play is unbalanced. That being said shame on you Jason for being beaten to the phone house.

I think a bigger issue here is that Jason should have trapped the phone box inmediately. Its the only way to prevent everyone from escaping easily. Before they eliminated trap stacking, this wasn't much of an issue. 

On 6/7/2018 at 4:56 PM, Truth said:

@RadikalGamer I don't think it's an exploit, but I also don't think it was intended. I don't think the devs even thought about this. We are advised to think outside the box, that's what this is. They didn't put counselor traps into the game with the intention for them to trap objectives, but it IS a legitimate strategy. Like everyone keeps saying, trap the fuse sooner and you won't have this problem.

I agree with this. I put it on the same level as locked door combat. Its something that arose later and was probably never considered. Though it seems like an unintentional flaw, it is also a smart strategy. 

This an an afterthought and not an exploit. Smart placement by counselors. Just have to use more traps to surround theirs.

1 hour ago, dandop1984 said:

Jasons traps where designed after feedback from the beta. Intended to trap objectives. The intent of the counselor placing a trap at the phone Knowing Jason can’t do anything about is the exploit. Not necessarily the trap itself it’s the reason behind it. And it makes Jason’s traps useless against objectives. 

There is probably a lot off things when the game was made that was intended to be used in a way but people found other uses for it. like someone said above the flare gun was made to mark Jason on the map but people found shooting him with it was a better use, did they intended for cars to go off road like some people do or to stick to roads and pathways.

Just because something was made and set up to be used a certain way in this case Jason traps and people have found they don't need to just trap doorways they can secure a objective with them. How do you tell which one is a exploit is the flare gun one cause it's not being used like it is intended to be used, cars going off road if they were intended to use roads and paths is that a exploit because the cars are not being used as intended. The list could go on as people will have different views on what is a exploit in the game, i don't think trapping the phone before Jason is a exploit it a smart move someone made to secure the fuse box same as if you put one in front of car to stop Jason trapping it letting you put the battery in and not be worried about a trap.

• Like 1