RoyBurns

What's your opinion on Veganism?

16 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

You will live longer and have fewer health problems. This is the way to go. Also only eat 1 meal a day.

Ok, that right there can be reasonably debunked by health experts (especially the 1 meal a day part, I'll throw the red flag on that idea). In order to live longer, and have fewer health problems, you need the following three:

• Diet
  • Proper Nutrition
  • Proper Exercise (running on a treadmill constantly is no good, you need to incorporate some forms of lifting weights if you don't want your knees to give out on you before you're 50 years old)

For everyone else here, you guys need to understand what a "vegan" is. There are two different types of known diets that focus on mainly vegetables: "vegetarian" and "vegan." Vegetarians focus mainly on vegetables, but they are also known to consume non-red meat food items such as eggs as well as seafood (prominently fish). They also won't mind consuming dairy products since despite the fact milk/cream comes from a meat source (cows, goats), dairy products aren't meat. In this sense, vegetarians have a balanced diet focusing on vegetables with the inclusion of non-red meats to introduce valuable sources of protein that most vegetables will have problems giving you, and they have less restrictions on obtaining nutrition from other food items.

Vegans focus on vegetables, similar to vegetarians, but will not consume meat of any kind. They also will not consume food products that came from animals. In other words, they have more difficulties getting the proper nutrition they need, and in some extreme cases are hipsters who look down upon those who eat meat.

Diets like the Mediterranean style have been proven to be effective, and this involves eating seafood, many types of which contain high amounts of unsaturated fats, therefore granting access to higher amounts of HDL cholesterol compared to the more dangerous LDL (though you do need both forms, just that you need more HDL as well as need to keep your LDL lower). There's also nothing wrong with consuming meat, even red meat, you just need to keep an eye on what exactly you're eating. Eat two-three small meals a day with consistent snacking every hour or two (e.g. celery stalk with peanut butter) to keep up your metabolism, drink plenty of water, and beware of consuming preservatives as well as high fructose corn syrup.

Counting calories, watching fats/carbohydrates, gettings all the vitamins/minerals/protein/etc. your body needs, and making sure you don't treat food as an enemy, all of this is necessary for a proper diet.

2 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

Anecdotal evidence by someone trying to sell you something is not reputable.

Citation still needed.

I couldnt possibly care less about what 'health professionals' say. Ultimatley eat how and what you want. 

55 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

Anecdotal evidence by someone trying to sell you something is not reputable.

Citation still needed.

Nothing is being sold except an idea. I know what works for me and im not going to try to convince anyone.

4 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

I couldnt possibly care less about what 'health professionals' say.

Then can I be your doctor/dentist? I have theories and accept all currency.

8 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

I couldnt possibly care less about what 'health professionals' say. Ultimatley eat how and what you want. 

To be blunt, if I ate however I wanted, I would probably die before the age of 50. I love deep fried food, and honestly I eat vegetables because I have to, not because I want to.

It's true you can eat whatever you want, but that rarely ends with a proper diet if you lack the understanding of how nutrition works.

2 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

So then I guess you DO care what health professionals say, despite your earlier claim.

If you say so

16 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

Ok, that right there can be reasonably debunked by health experts (especially the 1 meal a day part, I'll throw the red flag on that idea). In order to live longer, and have fewer health problems, you need the following three:

• Diet
  • Proper Nutrition
  • Proper Exercise (running on a treadmill constantly is no good, you need to incorporate some forms of lifting weights if you don't want your knees to give out on you before you're 50 years old)

For everyone else here, you guys need to understand what a "vegan" is. There are two different types of known diets that focus on mainly vegetables: "vegetarian" and "vegan." Vegetarians focus mainly on vegetables, but they are also known to consume non-red meat food items such as eggs as well as seafood (prominently fish). They also won't mind consuming dairy products since despite the fact milk/cream comes from a meat source (cows, goats), dairy products aren't meat. In this sense, vegetarians have a balanced diet focusing on vegetables with the inclusion of non-red meats to introduce valuable sources of protein that most vegetables will have problems giving you, and they have less restrictions on obtaining nutrition from other food items.

Vegans focus on vegetables, similar to vegetarians, but will not consume meat of any kind. They also will not consume food products that came from animals. In other words, they have more difficulties getting the proper nutrition they need, and in some extreme cases are hipsters who look down upon those who eat meat.

Diets like the Mediterranean style have been proven to be effective, and this involves eating seafood, many types of which contain high amounts of unsaturated fats, therefore granting access to higher amounts of HDL cholesterol compared to the more dangerous LDL (though you do need both forms, just that you need more HDL as well as need to keep your LDL lower). There's also nothing wrong with consuming meat, even red meat, you just need to keep an eye on what exactly you're eating. Eat two-three small meals a day with consistent snacking every hour or two (e.g. celery stalk with peanut butter) to keep up your metabolism, drink plenty of water, and beware of consuming preservatives as well as high fructose corn syrup.

Counting calories, watching fats/carbohydrates, gettings all the vitamins/minerals/protein/etc. your body needs, and making sure you don't treat food as an enemy, all of this is necessary for a proper diet.

A whole food plant based diet is the only diet clinically proven to reverse heart disease.

So of course oreos and fries are vegan, but they aren't healthy. 

Vegans have about a 15% less mortality rate currently than meat eaters.

1 minute ago, RoyBurns said:

A whole food plant based diet is the only diet clinically proven to reverse heart disease.*

Vegans have about a 15% less mortality rate currently than meat eaters.*

*Citation needed

To answer your original post: vegan diets are fine with me, as are vegans who don't have a sense of smug superiority. They just need to keep track of their B-12, iodine, and Calcium levels.

• Like 1

Just now, RoyBurns said:

A whole food plant based diet is the only diet clinically proven to reverse heart disease.

Vegans have about a 15% less mortality rate currently than meat eaters.

That right there is debatable. The Mediterranean diet has seen people comfortably living well past their 90's, and we're talking about people who regularily eat fish/shrimp/scallops. Asians who ate blue tuna (before it turned expensive) saw similar results.

The reason why people live longer isn't just diet, it's about other aspects of their lives like maintaining exercise as well as other healthy conditions. For example, the quality of water you drink can aversely affect your body as you grow up (henceforth why children in third world countries have it so much worse than us sheltered folks). Exposure to sunlight while also properly using sources of sun screen is another part, and what kind of sun screen you use can also affect this. Ultimately, there's so much that goes behind a healthy lifestyle that diet alone cannot attribute for.

The main reason why these studies claim veganism works is because vegans can easily screw up their nutrition if they're not careful. Therefore vegans have no choice but to carefully watch their nutrition, and these reasons are why they appear to live healthier than others; they have more to lose if they're not careful. Vegans still have issues with having far more limited sources of nutrition, and I've seen some who have no choice but to buy supplements in order to get the nutrition they need, something that proves the diet isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Diet, proper nutrition, and proper exercise are the key ingredients to living well, and even those ideas alone cannot attribute to everything that goes behind a healthy lifestyle.

This thread can stay open as long as it remains a sensible discussion. Any 'anti-vegan' remarks and I'll be closing it :) Just a fair warning before anyone comes in and starts bashing the lifestyle.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

This thread can stay open as long as it remains a sensible discussion. Any 'anti-vegan' remarks and I'll be closing it :) Just a fair warning before anyone comes in and starts bashing the lifestyle.

Thread asks for opinions on vegan lifestyle...and essentially any comments against it, thread gets closed.

Logic.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, hu_soldier13 said:

Thread asks for opinions on vegan lifestyle...and essentially any comments against it, thread gets closed.

Logic.

If it degenerates into a flame war is what I'm saying. I want it to remain a civil thread for people who want to genuinely discuss it.

1 hour ago, Kodiak said:

Any 'anti-vegan' remarks and I'll be closing it :)

Does "not eating bacon is a sin!!!" count?

2 hours ago, Trident77 said:

That right there is debatable. The Mediterranean diet has seen people comfortably living well past their 90's, and we're talking about people who regularily eat fish/shrimp/scallops. Asians who ate blue tuna (before it turned expensive) saw similar results.

The reason why people live longer isn't just diet, it's about other aspects of their lives like maintaining exercise as well as other healthy conditions. For example, the quality of water you drink can aversely affect your body as you grow up (henceforth why children in third world countries have it so much worse than us sheltered folks). Exposure to sunlight while also properly using sources of sun screen is another part, and what kind of sun screen you use can also affect this. Ultimately, there's so much that goes behind a healthy lifestyle that diet alone cannot attribute for.

The main reason why these studies claim veganism works is because vegans can easily screw up their nutrition if they're not careful. Therefore veganrcas have no choice but to carefully watch their nutrition, and these reasons are why they appear to live healthier than others; they have more to lose if they're not careful. Vegans still have issues with having far more limited sources of nutrition, and I've seen some who have no choice but to buy supplements in order to get the nutrition they need, something that proves the diet isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Diet, proper nutrition, and proper exercise are the key ingredients to living well, and even those ideas alone cannot attribute to everything that goes behind a healthy lifestyle.

It's not really debatable, It's proven science.

Also Vegan doesn't = whole food plant based diet. Vegan just means not eating anything from animals. Although most vegans still eat pretty healthy in general.

The longest living civilization are the Okinawans (most people over 100 years old), who ate only 3% of their calories from meat. Their diet was mostly from plants (whole grains, fruits and vegetables etc)

Sadly, they're westernized and their diet is becoming shit like ours.

Mediterraneans are just better health wise to the US, but they're not the best. 

2 hours ago, Thatguyinktown said:

*Citation needed

To answer your original post: vegan diets are fine with me, as are vegans who don't have a sense of smug superiority. They just need to keep track of their B-12, iodine, and Calcium levels.

Most vegans don't even go vegan for health reasons. They hope to help preserve the environment because animal agriculture is ruining it. Animal agricture, ironically is the biggest threat to human extinction. They also are fed up with 64 billion animals being slaughtered every year for no objective reason than that they taste good. The system is flawed and it won't even benefit humans in the long run. If bees go extinct, humans are going to be in deep danger. 

So you can't be mad if a vegan is upset with you. If you support the industry, you have to suck it up.

Although some vegans can go overboard and be unnecessary.

Trying to make me drool @Cokeyskunk? Drooling at my computer screen at work is no better than laughing hysterically at something you posted...

1 minute ago, Truth said:

Trying to make me drool @Cokeyskunk? Drooling at my computer screen at work is no better than laughing hysterically at something you posted...

I can't help it. I'm Texan.

Honestly, I do have a great smoking pit and make 15 lb briskets and rib racks like this several times yearly. I've been invited to several competitions by competitors who say mine is among the best they've tasted, but it holds no interest for me. I WOULD like to open my own themed barbecue restaurant someday, though . . . we'll see.

3 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

I can't help it. I'm Texan.

Honestly, I do have a great smoking pit and make 15 lb briskets and rib racks like this several times yearly. I've been invited to several competitions by competitors who say mine is among the best they've tasted, but it holds no interest for me. I WOULD like to open my own themed barbecue restaurant someday, though . . . we'll see.

You should ship me some lol

Or just move here and open it!!!