RoyBurns

What's your opinion on Veganism?

3 minutes ago, Truth said:

You should ship me some lol

Or just move here and open it!!!

Business model wouldn't work outside of Texas. Remember: I said THEMED restaurant. 

Marketing, my friend. MARKETING = $$$$$$$

?

People are free to eat whatever they like.

They want to be vegans? Let them be vegans i say.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Business model wouldn't work outside of Texas. Remember: I said THEMED restaurant. 

Marketing, my friend. MARKETING = $$$$$$$

?

So change the theme! (What is the theme?)

1 hour ago, Cokeyskunk said:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

My decision is made on what goes on the barbeque tonight!!! I got hungry the moment I saw that.

I have several friends that are vegan... but sometimes shift between full on vegan and vegetarian. Personally.... I am not picky about food... except peppers. I hate peppers and anything with peppers in it. Other than that, I do not really care too much about what I eat... but I do try to stay away from junk food and processed foods, fast foods and overly greasy foods (but I am not against any of these even though they are all horrible for your health, I just try to stay away from them).
   As one of my vegan friends put it.... No Faces, no Mothers... if it has either or comes from something that does, they do not eat it. When visiting them for diner and beer... the fact there is no meat does not concern me at all... I do not have a problem with any vegan meal choices.... unless there are peppers in it.... I hate peppers... Did I mention I hate peppers?

@RoyBurns You are one of the only people I have ever seen in a discussion that even brings up the animal husbandry industry and the threat it poses to our existence… 51% of the pollution in the world is nothing to sneeze at... yet VERY few people talk about this or even know or acknowledge it is even a problem. Its hard enough to research a legitimate source with these stats...
   Never trust a study done by the people who sell the product in question or make money off said product in any way.... Food is a huge industry, everyone alive IS a customer... for their entire lives.... and no industry will publish (or allow to be published) information that will hurt their industry.... It is amazing yes... but some people will lie to not lose money. The whole battle over removing lead from gasoline should have taught everyone this lesson. Everyone already knew lead was toxic, but the petroleum industry's studies told us it was not harmful at all... It took what... 30 years of arguing with them before it was removed?
   I would never presume to tell anyone what the can or can't (or should or shouldn't) eat... but if people cut their animal product consumption, it would go a long way to helping lessen the pollution problem, much further than everyone driving less to limit emissions, or even littering for that matter. For example... if everyone cut their consumption of animal products by even 1/3... it would lessen that 51% to only 35%ish.... not exact math, the whole equation would need to be reworked, but its enough to get the point across.

To that end... I never realized how much meat I ate until my friends became vegans and I actually paid attention out of curiosity. I have tried to cut my meat consumption considerably, but still eat meat of all kinds.... just not around the vegans... or as often as I used to... and I ate a lot of meat before the friends became Vegans.
   Meat these days is too damned expensive to eat all the time anyway... and it cuts into my beer money.

With that said.... If it is true that each strip of bacon takes one minute off your life, then I should have died in 1746.... LOL.

• Like 1

I can understand a moral objection to killing animals in order to procure their flesh . . . .

However . . . . 

If it is being done for health reasons, it doesn't wash. Just cut out the preservatives (nitrates / nitrites in particular) and you're already on a good path.

I understand the pollution thing, but never got the brow beating of others over killing to eat. All omnivores and carnivores do this across the animal kingdom, and we are apart of that kingdom. You don't see people up in arms over a lion pouncing on an antelope, but when I go hunting or fishing, not for trophies but for meat, some of the folks around the closest town get all crazy eyed like I killed their family member.

I just don't understand it. I don't see people doing this to vegans but I sure see a lot of it coming from them, of course not all, as I have a few friends that are, but they realize it is a choice and don't freak out when we get together and I eat a steak and they have a salad and pasta.

1 hour ago, jameson87 said:

I understand the pollution thing, but never got the brow beating of others over killing to eat. All omnivores and carnivores do this across the animal kingdom, and we are apart of that kingdom. You don't see people up in arms over a lion pouncing on an antelope, but when I go hunting or fishing, not for trophies but for meat, some of the folks around the closest town get all crazy eyed like I killed their family member.

I just don't understand it. I don't see people doing this to vegans but I sure see a lot of it coming from them, of course not all, as I have a few friends that are, but they realize it is a choice and don't freak out when we get together and I eat a steak and they have a salad and pasta.

Because many people seem to have forgotten that, once upon a time, we depended on hunting animals for necessary survival. Food, kept the neighborhoods safe, clothing, there's a lot behind it. And we'll likely have to go back to that lifestyle when society collapses at some point.

The funny thing is there are several cultures in existence that eat mostly meat, yet blood pressure/heart disease problems are virtually unheard of for them despite the cholesterol implications. For example, Eskimos and some Inuit cultures: some of them don't eat anything fiber related year-round because of obvious year-round cold/ice problems making plants a no-go, yet they boast relatively high standards of healthy living regardless. At the end of the day, any diet can succeed so long as it obtains proper nutrition, and as I mentioned before there's more to a healthy life style than just what you eat (e.g. you should really wear sunscreen when the sun's out).

These so-called studies discussing how vegans supposedly live longer is because vegans tend to be more health-conscious than the average person, mainly because nutrition deficiency is a very real problem if you're not careful when you limit your food sources. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my venison jerky that my kind neighbor gives me whenever he goes out hunting.

58 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

Because many people seem to have forgotten that, once upon a time, we depended on hunting animals for necessary survival. Food, kept the neighborhoods safe, clothing, there's a lot behind it. And we'll likely have to go back to that lifestyle when society collapses at some point.

The funny thing is there are several cultures in existence that eat mostly meat, yet blood pressure/heart disease problems are virtually unheard of for them despite the cholesterol implications. For example, Eskimos and some Inuit cultures: some of them don't eat anything fiber related year-round because of obvious year-round cold/ice problems making plants a no-go, yet they boast relatively high standards of healthy living regardless. At the end of the day, any diet can succeed so long as it obtains proper nutrition, and as I mentioned before there's more to a healthy life style than just what you eat (e.g. you should really wear sunscreen when the sun's out).

These so-called studies discussing how vegans supposedly live longer is because vegans tend to be more health-conscious than the average person, mainly because nutrition deficiency is a very real problem if you're not careful when you limit your food sources. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my venison jerky that my kind neighbor gives me whenever he goes out hunting.

Exactly, on point with all of those facts. But it still puzzles me why some become so vile and rabid over someone else's diet choices. And personally, I prefer to hunt and take what I need for myself and family, versus buying all of the processed and packaged stuff in the stores when I am able to. But regardless, I don't go and brow beat others for choosing to be vegan or anything else, just wish that same courtesy could be extended both ways. Maybe it is just the ones around where I live that act this way. I would like to think this, but I also ran into this back in Atlanta where I am originally from.

I hate meat. It´s disgusting for me.

Well , I am Pesceterian , otherwise I would probably die because I don´t eat enough healthy Food.

And I love Fish Sticks with Curry.

15 hours ago, Truth said:

So change the theme! (What is the theme?)

The theme will not be changing. The theme will be an Old West-setting. The building will look like an 1800's establishment, and the employees will wear period-accurate clothing and speak in Old West-lingo. I even plan to have a player piano with a person to occasionally play it to set the ambiance, and the bartenders will say things like, "What'll it be, Stranger?" and be paid a bonus if they grow a handlebar mustache.

manrunsincashrainning.gif    

1 hour ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

I hate meat. It´s disgusting for me.

Well , I am Pesceterian , otherwise I would probably die because I don´t eat enough healthy Food.

And I love Fish Sticks with Curry.

Odd. I hate fish. It's disgusting for me. 

Well-- except crustacean. I could eat crab & crawfish all day long. 

15 hours ago, Freddie Mercury said:

People are free to eat whatever they like.

They want to be vegans? Let them be vegans i say.

I agree.

It's a shame vegans can't have the same attitude and instead spend (waste) time protesting restaurants that serve meat.

There was a recent and very publicized protest at a restaurant here in Toronto. The funny part is, instead of going after something actually problematic, like McDonald's, they protested a place that serves ethically sourced game meats...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

I agree.

It's a shame vegans can't have the same attitude and instead spend (waste) time protesting restaurants that serve meat.

There was a recent and very publicized protest at a restaurant here in Toronto. The funny part is, instead of going after something actually problematic, like McDonald's, they protested a place that serves ethically sourced game meats...

As a cook , are vegans annoying to serve?

6 minutes ago, The Gloved One said:

Generally, no. It's just when they expect you to bend over backwards and create something for them - even somehow pulling ingredients you have nowhere on your menu.

I'm more than happy to help them find sòmething suitable on the menu or out of what we have in house. But I've definitely gotten a handful over the years who seemed to think we have an international market in the back.

Once had a vegetarian cause a stink because all she could eat at a BBQ joint (!!) was caesar salad and cornbread.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The Gloved One said:

1 minute ago, AldermachXI said:

Generally, no. It's just when they expect you to bend over backwards and create something for them - even somehow pulling ingredients you have nowhere on your menu.

I would think the greatest irritation would be the demanded questions. I've had several of my chef friends have run-ins with vegans who want to speak to the chef directly to know EXACTLY what is going in their dish. "Any cheese?" "Any milk products?" and the worst: "Let me see the labels."  ?

1 minute ago, Cokeyskunk said:

I would think the greatest irritation would be the demanded questions. I've had several of my chef friends have run-ins with vegans who want to speak to the chef directly to know EXACTLY what is going in their dish. "Any cheese?" "Any milk products?" and the worst: "Let me see the labels."  ?

5 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

I'm more than happy to help them find sòmething suitable on the menu or out of what we have in house. But I've definitely gotten a handful over the years who seemed to think we have an international market in the back.

Once had a vegetarian cause a stink because all she could eat at a BBQ joint (!!) was caesar salad and cornbread.

When I go to a restaurant , I come to EAT.I think its okay to a point to know all the food in what your eating but going to the extreme of whats in  seasonings or what boils down to what , is too crazy to be demanding as you are a hungry customer slowing the general process for somebody who might have legit allergies.

I could never be a vegan or a vegetarian because I love ribs, burgers, and steaks too much but if it makes someone else happy I don't care. Just don't try to guilt trip me into being a vegan or compare meat-eating to slavery, the holocaust, or any other human atrocities. I stay away from those type of vegans.

Don't get me wrong, I love food in general, not picky about much, and usually grow a garden (organic from heirloom seeds. No GMO's). Not this year for obvious financial reasons, but I am all for knowing what is in your food that you buy to prepare. But going to a restaurant and demanding that kind of information and to cause that kind of hassle on a busy chef/cook is beyond insane. If you want that much control over your food buy organic or grow your vegetables and cook your meal yourself. Problem solved @AldermachXI

Exactly @LadySansaLannister

54 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

I would think the greatest irritation would be the demanded questions. I've had several of my chef friends have run-ins with vegans who want to speak to the chef directly to know EXACTLY what is going in their dish. "Any cheese?" "Any milk products?" and the worst: "Let me see the labels."  

In defense of the concerns behind those questions: there are legitimate risks for diners beyond dietary decisions in the form of allergies, and if the wait staff gives off an air of apathy or ignorance, the next logical step is to go to the source. Life-or-Death situations are still Life-or-Life-or-Death, even if the staff don't appear to know or care.

Respectful requests (in my mind) get more traction than demands, though. This is where vegans and folks with severe allergies run into problems. A handful of loud individuals with bad attitudes don't necessarily represent the entirety of a dietary community, but will leave the most memorable impression. If a restaurant staff has been burned by rude, pushy people who don't treat the staff with respect in regards to dietary needs or preferences, then the word 'vegan' or the word 'allergy' starts to trigger an almost involuntary eye-roll. I have worked with the general public at points in my life, and I understand how hard it is to come back from the brink of cynical disregard once you've been flooded with unearned abuse.

TL,DR: 

3t2npON.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

In defense of the concerns behind those questions

Excellent point. Irritation almost always stems from an individual's perceived attitude. Every condition can be met by being either courteous, or by being demanding and snotty.  

Unfortunately, my acquaintances have run into far more demanding/snotty/showboating vegans than the courteous ones who take time to acknowledge the bother.

27 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Excellent point. Irritation almost always stems from an individual's perceived attitude. Every condition can be met by being either courteous, or by being demanding and snotty.  

Unfortunately, my acquaintances have run into far more demanding/snotty/showboating vegans than the courteous ones who take time to acknowledge the bother.

I can understand why some people are picky... did I mention I hate peppers? There is a reason why I hate them.... they actually make me sick. Even just a little bit of peppers in my food.

Every time I go somewhere like subway... or a pizza place for instance, I tell them... I want everything on it except peppers of any kind... pretty simple instructions in my opinion. To which they always start listing off ingredients... Them: you want onions... Me: yes.... Them: green peppers... Me: is it a pepper of any kind?.. Them: yes... Me: no peppers, thank you... Them: tomatoes?... Me: yes... Them: red peppers?... Me: is it a pepper of any kind?... Them: yes... Me: no peppers, thank you... this always continues with them mentioning every single type of peppers on their ingredients list. I always try to be polite, I have come to expect this from fast food places. They are just trying to do their job after all... and I can respect that.

But I have actually had meals at high end restaurants that had peppers in them... at places like this, you expect when you ask them to make sure there are no peppers in something, that you will not have to dig through your food to make sure there are no peppers. It should not need to be explained why you do not want something in your meal... to anybody. I even go out of my way with the waiter or waitress to make sure what I am ordering is not something pre made that comes with peppers in it, and that it is actually possible to have whatever meal I am ordering with no peppers in it... yet this still happens... But I still always try to be polite.... pay for the meal I could not eat and just never go back to that particular restaurant.

The only times I have ever asked to speak with the chef are when I actually get the meal without peppers that I asked for... and it is to thank them for the awesome dinner that they prepared. These chefs always seem to be very grateful for the compliment, and they never expected that it would be a compliment. But with my luck, this has not happened as often as you might think.

I do not really eat out anymore... ever. If I go out to a restaurant with anybody, I tend to watch them eat while I have a couple beers.

@AldermachXI I did not know you were a cook. I have a couple of friends who are chefs as well... I have heard some horror stories about rude customers over the years. I try not to be the subject of one of these stories... but I have also known people that were the subject of these stories.
   People actually protest restaurants that serve meat?... but not McDonalds? I would insert a Godzilla facepalm giff if I could find one.
   I do not remember reading about that in the news... and I am not far from Toronto. I would ask what's wrong with people?.... But I know the answer to this question would be a very long read... much of which I am already aware of... but some things will never cease to amaze. Perhaps the carnivorous people that hate vegetables should start protesting the unethical torture and murder of millions of lettuce and broccoli plants each year.... I hear the screams of the vegetables!!… But vegetables are just so tasty.

5 hours ago, AldermachXI said:

Wait, doesnt caesar dressing have anchovy in it?

22 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

Wait, doesnt caesar dressing have anchovy in it?

It does. Vegetarians have a tendency to make exceptions on a whim though.

That, and some caesar dressings don't anymore. So maybe they just live in ignorant bliss pretending they all don't.

@Ahab https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2018/04/vegan-protesters-wont-leave-antler-restaurant-toronto/

Just now, AldermachXI said:

That, and some caesar dressings don't anymore. So maybe they just live in ignorant bliss pretending they all don't.

A level 5 vegan should know better :P

28 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

Cornbread usually has a milk/buttermilk in it. Maybe premixed stuff doesn't, only make it from scratch at the house lol.

"Perhaps the carnivorous people that hate vegetables should start prot esting the unethical torture and mur der of millions of lettuce and broccoli plants each year.... I hear the screams of the vegetables!!"

That is gold. And Tool has a song about just that called Disgustipating. Hidden track on the Undertow album, the actual music is comprised of the band destroying a piano, some guitar effects and Maynard shooting whats left of the piano with a shotgun. Pure musical genius. Maybe the carnivores could just blare that at them @Ahab

• Like 1

@AldermachXI I just read the article and watched the video.... The article said that it was posted about a month ago, so this was recent. I am amazed I heard nothing about this in the news, and the fact that it was on Joe Rogan amazes me even more that I have not heard of that yet. Next time I pass through Toronto I will be sure to stop in for a wonderous meal at this restaurant... its been a while since I have had any venison. I just hope there is no peppers in it.
   Thanks for the info.

@jameson87  "I hear the screams of the vegetables" is actually a line from a tune. During the first year the comedy network was on the air (in Canada) I saw the video for this song and thought it was hilarious... It was on during a commercial break... here it is... (This is not meant to offend anyone and is merely for comic relief. All lives matter... even broccoli!... but I love broccoli just as much as a nicely burnt steak... we all have to eat after all... and ALL food was alive at one time). My vegan friends get a good laugh out of this too!!

• Like 2