Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Truth said:

Counselor traps are meant to trap Jason. How do you trap something? You place it somewhere that you know they will go. It's really no different than placing it at a door. You know that if Jason wants to get in, he will have to eat the trap. Same thing. If Jason wants to stop the call, he will have to eat the trap. It's really just smart placement.

Except that this is not actually trapping Jason. I totally get placing one to hit jason and prevent him from smashing the box, that's fine. This just acts as something that blocks the phone, which i'm told used to be possible with other in game objects that have since lost that ability. The purpose of the bear traps is to trap Jason, not just permanently block him off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Truth said:

Counselor traps are meant to trap Jason. How do you trap something? 

Except counselors don't need to actually TRAP Jason to block a spot where Jason wants to drop a trap..    They can just drop a unset trap some where and that in turn blocks Jason from setting traps in that area..  Regardless if they actually set it open or not.

Which is pretty much what the OP is getting at.  I've done it a few times... I sort of know what hes saying.  Its kind of a cheese move.  Smart, yes.. But obviously cheezzzzyy.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, woundcowboy said:

Because there is nothing Jason can do to counter it. To be clear, I am not saying that they layed a trap and I stepped in it. They put a closed trap on the phone and I couldn't lay my trap because of it. This made the phone free for the entire match. If there is no counterplay to something, there is a strong chance that it's an exploit.

I do this all the time. This has been going on since the beginning. I don't think it's an exploit. I think this is the fault of Jason for not trapping the phone fast enough. It works both ways. If Jason places a trap first, it makes it hard for a counselor to trap the phone. Personally, as Jason, the phone is the first place I go. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Manny1985 said:

I do this all the time. This has been going on since the beginning. I don't think it's an exploit. I think this is the fault of Jason for not trapping the phone fast enough. It works both ways. If Jason places a trap first, it makes it hard for a counselor to trap the phone. Personally, as Jason, the phone is the first place I go. 

Pretty much the best counter^.

Can trap block Jason if Jason already put traps there.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be a whole new ball game if the devs updated Jason to be able to interact with/pick up counselor items, traps and weapons and to be able to reuse his own traps as counselors can already do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, woundcowboy said:

Except that this is not actually trapping Jason. I totally get placing one to hit jason and prevent him from smashing the box, that's fine. This just acts as something that blocks the phone, which i'm told used to be possible with other in game objects that have since lost that ability. The purpose of the bear traps is to trap Jason, not just permanently block him off.

15 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Except counselors don't need to actually TRAP Jason to block a spot where Jason wants to drop a trap..    They can just drop a unset trap some where and that in turn blocks Jason from setting traps in that area..  Regardless if they actually set it open or not.

Which is pretty much what the OP is getting at.  I've done it a few times... I sort of know what hes saying.  Its kind of a cheese move.  Smart, yes.. But obviously cheezzzzyy.

But if they actually SET the trap, then it just puts other counselors at risk. You place it there and arm it AFTER fixing the fuse. That way the trap is already there and ready to go (plus he can't place his own traps on it now).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess some of you guys would just love it if they implemented Jason can replenish his own traps by picking up unused traps around the map eh? Obviously a joke friends! :)

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Truth said:

But if they actually SET the trap, then it just puts other counselors at risk. You place it there and arm it AFTER fixing the fuse. That way the trap is already there and ready to go (plus he can't place his own traps on it now).

Im not saying its a huge issue or something.    It just the topic..  And the poster does have a point.   I mean, people can argue all they want.  But it is what it is.

Would be cool if Jason could collect un set counselor traps for his own use tho...  Just sayin'

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HuDawg said:

Its sort of an exploit.  Because they are using an intended game play mechanic in a unintended way.

Realistically Jason can trap any objective he wants faster than a counselor.  Also as Jason, IF you have enough traps.  You can step on the counselor trap and then place 3 traps perfectly around it. 

I think the bigger issue with traps is Jason can't reset his traps and counselors can reset and move any trap they want..  Which isn't really fair.  But thats another topic.

How is it unintended to trap an objective as a counselor? Why should a doorway that Jason might never go through or shift through be the go to place to put a counselor trap? A lot of Jason's trap the phone box. A lot of Jason's trap the car. They might even trap a generator after smashing it. Why shouldn't a counselor be able to do the same? 

As for bigger issues, a counselor can only hold one trap at a time and it becomes their primary item so they cannot hold a weapon or vehicle part. A counselor also has to go out and find a trap in the first place whereas Jason spawns with his inventory of traps and an instant morph. A counselor would also have to go back to rearm the trap or move it. Jason stepping on a counselor trap doesn't injure him other than to possibly cause him to lose his mask or go into rage faster. I feel like there is plenty of balance between the two trap types. EDIT: I went back and tested this and a counselor can drop a trap directly on top of a Jason trap whether it has been triggered or not. This may be considered to be unbalanced since Jason cannot do that against a counselor trap but I'm not sure there is an instance where this would be a practical strategy other than to slightly camouflage the counselor trap. I reported it to jasonkillsbugs.com.  I'll leave that up to the devs to figure out.

4 hours ago, Lexandremon said:

Omg, im so tired of this. Ppl ruining the gameplay of the game to feed their own ego
same thing about stuning jason through the door. This game isn't about counselors, for god's sake.
Using a little more realistic physics, Jason would easily remove the counselor's toy (bear trap) and put his on trap in place.

"herp derp, look at me im so cool i put a bear trap in the fuse box HAHA herp DERP HAHA, jason can't put traps there anymore, haha"

They patched the door stun entirely and that was their prerogative and it made the most sense. Was it ever an argument that a weapon or character shouldn't clip through a solid door? Being able to hit someone through a partially smashed open door isn't exactly unrealistic. They just got rid of it altogether due to the way weapons are swung. If you wanted to be realistic you could imagine a scenario where you poke the weapon through the opening in the door that Jason was smashing and hit him. They chose the easier method of just blocking the ability of being able to stun Jason through a door. You still see Jason clipping through doors, particularly if you shut it in his face.

As for realistic physicals regarding traps I am pretty sure any human could easily pick up one of Jason's traps and toss it aside after setting it off with any available object including weapons let alone jump or lean over it. Jason cannot even set off his own traps when walking over them. Where is Jason storing all these traps that he has in his inventory, especially part 2? Is that realistic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ralph Voorhees said:

How is it unintentional or unintended to trap an objective as a counselor? Why should a doorway that Jason might never go through or shift through be the go to place to put a counselor trap? A lot of Jason's trap the phone box. A lot of Jason's trap the car. They might even trap a generator after smashing it. Why shouldn't a counselor be able to do the same?

Dude..     Hes talking about dropping UNSET traps at a objective point.   In order to block Jason from dropping traps.   Its got nothing to do with trapping Jason.

Its not HUGE deal.    But its clearly exploiting game mechanic in an untended way.  It just what it is.

Even if i think its OK.  It doesn't matter because this isn't the point of traps.

Gotta give the dogs their bones.. yo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, woundcowboy said:

Except that this is not actually trapping Jason. I totally get placing one to hit jason and prevent him from smashing the box, that's fine. This just acts as something that blocks the phone, which i'm told used to be possible with other in game objects that have since lost that ability. The purpose of the bear traps is to trap Jason, not just permanently block him off.

I know this was around since the launch, and it's kinda of a dick move.   Unfortunately you have to respect it as a valid tactic as long as the game allows for it, and will have to choose between thwarting the Tommy call or trapping the phone box first.

24 minutes ago, Manny1985 said:

I do this all the time. This has been going on since the beginning. I don't think it's an exploit.

Except it is.  This is "exploiting" the fact that the game engine doesn't allow Jason from placing a trap in that situation.  I doubt it intended when the devs drew up the game documentations.  I'm not advocating against doing it, just calling it what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Hey forums, someone thought of something I didn't and it made me cry. Now I'm mad and I think they cheated because what they did was smart. Tell me I'm special and not alone in the way i feel."

QQ my dude.

@HuDawg

You get fed more than anyone I see on here. Good shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GeneiJin said:

I know this was around since the launch, and it's kinda of a dick move.   Unfortunately you have to respect it as a valid tactic as long as the game allows for it, and will have to choose between thwarting the Tommy call or trapping the phone box first.

Except it is.  This is "exploiting" the fact that the game engine doesn't allow Jason from placing a trap in that situation.  I doubt it intended when the devs drew up the game documentations.  I'm not advocating against doing it, just calling it what it is.

I'm not saying it's invalid, just that it should be removed. Similar to door hitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, woundcowboy said:

I'm not saying it's invalid, just that it should be removed. Similar to door hitting.

Would you be cool with me setting them right on top of Jason's traps? You seem to want to be able to set Jason's on top of counselor traps. Fair is fair right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hudawg is spot on with each response.

I'll pipe in too though because I'm bored and at lunch.

Not an exploit but absolutely cheese.

I have utilized this strategy on occasion even though it is cheese.

Probably should be fixed somehow, but not before a dozen other more pressing issues get fixed.

I would just add that the argument of "get there faster" is a little lame sice there are 7 counselors that can place a trap to block an objective, yet just 1 Jason who can only head to one objective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, woundcowboy said:

I'm not saying it's invalid, just that it should be removed. Similar to door hitting.

Well, it's way more effective against Jason than door combat (which was easily countered).  However, this isn't as wide spread and not something you'll expect to see often in QP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Would you be cool with me setting them right on top of Jason's traps? You seem to want to be able to set Jason's on top of counselor traps. Fair is fair right?

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but yea. That would be fine. Jason could still be hit by the counselor trap and then the counselors could still be hurt by both traps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see it as an exploit. If you didn't get to the phone before anyone else that's your fault. Unless that bear trap spawned right inside the phone house, there's ample time to get there before it happens.

I wouldn't mind if it were patched though. Like say the bear trap gets moved to the side when Jason puts his own trap down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, woundcowboy said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but yea. That would be fine. Jason could still be hit by the counselor trap and then the counselors could still be hurt by both traps.

Only the trap on top would be effective, placing it would set off the bottom trap. Go get two bear traps and try stacking them while they're armed. (Don't actually do this - holy shit would that be dangerous.)

I don't think this would work out how you think. If you trapped a car I would use you to untrap it. Or untrap it by setting counselor traps on top of yours then disarming them or based on the process you would probably set it off when dropping it. This doesn't seem like a good solution to your problem.

Try trapping around their trap, trap the closest window or if you broke the door the closest doorway. Counselors will think they out played you and get outplayed in return. This topic should really have been handled by a Dev making a definitive answer about it being a legit strategy or not. 

@VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow, this isn't a good solution either. What is wrong with people playing strategically on both sides?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not an exploit. You simply miss managed your trap settings. I have been doing this for months.

 

If trapping the fuse box is nixed then so should Jason being able to frap the entrace to his shack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Whitebabyjoker said:

"Hey forums, someone thought of something I didn't and it made me cry. Now I'm mad and I think they cheated because what they did was smart. Tell me I'm special and not alone in the way i feel."

QQ my dude.

@HuDawg

You get fed more than anyone I see on here. Good shit.

Stop antagonizing other people. Did you see the comment I made on the last page about how I was watching this thread? 

If you want to post then post something constructive, not antagonizing remarks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the subject of Trap "exploits" I would suggest that what is seen in the following video is something that could be addressed by the devs as unlikely you are to see it successfully done in a real game:

[Removed]

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Dude..     Hes talking about dropping UNSET traps at a objective point.   In order to block Jason from dropping traps.   Its got nothing to do with trapping Jason.

Most people in this thread seem to be missing that point.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...