PurpleFloyd

Top 3 - Horror films you'd like to see remade ...

Here's my picks:

3. Jaws 3D - Not necessarily the story from the third film, but just a new third film. I thought Jaws 2 was a great sequel, not quite the measure of the first film, but a lot better than it had any right to be. The third film was such a drop off from this. I'd love for them to do a new sequel to do away with Jaws 3D and Jaws: The Revenge.

2. Resident Evil - Still don't think I'm over the disappointment of this film. The original game is my all time favourite, but the film is nothing like it. Where's the creepy old mansion? Where's the mystery? Where the limited ammo, tension, proper scares, Jill and Chris, etc? They need to reboot this franchise and go back to the original game and what made it so scary.

1. Alien 3 - The only thing more disappointing that Resident Evil to me was Alien 3. Aliens is my fave film of all time so I had huge expectations for this. What a downer it turned out to be! A lot wrong with it, but the biggest mistake was killing off Bishop, Newt and Hicks before the film even started. Totally negated the point of Aliens and us cheering for them all to escape. Neill Blomkamp should have been allowed to make his new part three as it sounded amazing and would have righted a lot of wrongs.

In no particular order:

Resident Evil- Pretty much just read what the OP said. My opinion exactly. 

Saw- They need one that goes back to the simplicity of the original. My idea would be to go the Blumhouse Halloween route and make a movie that's a direct sequel to Saw 1 and erases the rest of continuity which (in my opinion) ruined the series. 

Child's Play- Chucky has been done to death and he needs a reboot that does him justice, makes it scary and takes away from the comedy

Honorable Mention:

Frogs- A very under-rated movie that I think needs a good, cheesy, Pirahna 3Dish remake. 

I would love to see what would have happened if Chucky successfully transfered his soul into Andy Barclay. At least there is a TV show in the works.

Heres my top 3

1. Reanimator

2. Hellraiser

3. Pumpkinhead

Honorable mention : Return of the Living Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Leprechaun, Phantasm, Critters, Brain Dead, Psycho, 976-Evil, and Friday the 13th

Edited by F134Ever86

My three for a reboot

1. CreepShow 

2.The Mist

3.The Howling

The Monster Squad - Done as a real horror would be good. PG13 but pushing as close to R as possible. 

A Nightmare on Elm Street - Done well this time, and Freddy makes jokes again. The Springwood Slasher needs new children. 

Gremlins - As a horror movie, really go all in on the human on puppet or puppet on human violence. Gremlins always struck me as wanting to be more, the scene with the mom in the house is wonderfully brutal. It always makes me wonder how they got the rating they did. I actually think this idea has the most potential on my list as it has a pretty big fan base, who seem open to it showcasing different genres. 

7 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

The Monster Squad - Done as a real horror would be good. PG13 but pushing as close to R as possible. 

A Nightmare on Elm Street - Done well this time, and Freddy makes jokes again. The Springwood Slasher needs new children. 

Gremlins - As a horror movie, really go all in on the human on puppet or puppet on human violence. Gremlins always struck me as wanting to be more, the scene with the mom in the house is wonderfully brutal. It always makes me wonder how they got the rating they did. I actually think this idea has the most potential on my list as it has a pretty big fan base, who seem open to it showcasing different genres. 

I still cant believe gremlins was PG. How the heck they pulled that off, I have no clue. I remember liking it as a kid, so let me daughter watch that thinking oh this cant be that bad, only PG. My wife just about killed me.. lol

As for remakes I would like to see:

Chopping mall

Slumber Party Massacre

Pet Sematary(I've heard this might be on the horizon)

I know its not going to happen any time soon.... But Friday the 13th needs a remake (again)… The 2009 remake received a lot of hate, but I liked it. Even just continuing along with undead Jason... just something... but something good.

The Re-animator is also a great movie that could use a remake.... But I really wish they could actually stay closer to the original story... It was only a short story, but it was great. Many of Lovecraft's stories could be made into movies... Pretty much all of his stories are in the public domain... which also makes the Necronomicon as he used it free game for anybody. Much of Lovecraft's works have so much potential for great horror movies... if they could stick to the original stories and not try to modernize them.

Frankenstein... But done like the book, as close as possible. Only one movie ever came close to it and it was the best of the lot of them...Mary Shelly's Frankenstein (1994) Robert De Niro was great as the monster and proved he didn't need to be seven feet tall to be an unstoppable monster... Stronger than us, faster than us, better than us... more intelligent than us...
   The classic movies have their charm... and when they were made, there was nothing else like them. But horror had to escalate... each successive movie had to be scarier than the last, which brings us to today's gore fests. I am in no way against gore and blood in a movie, and it enhances the horrific aspects of some stories.

@F134Ever86 Jason becomes the good guy... I love it!! Maybe he just needed to be shown acceptance and love by people that do not judge someone on how they look. Sound like a good action movie, but it diverts away from horror a bit with the redemption story. Plus, the bad guy would need to be a challenge for the ever loving hockey mask head... The new big bad would need to be somewhat unstoppable himself.
   Reminds me of how Wolverine almost became a legit samurai.

@Ahab the horror would come in the form of demonic possessions/sacrifices. In my head canon, Jason's soul was hijacked by thousands of vengeful native americans spirits trapped in the lakebed when he was murdered(why he cant die and can regenerate). Little bad =  evil ninjas Big bad = Eons old demon manifested through the most deadly warlord. Final fight akin to (but much longer than) Gandalf vs Balrog or Predator vs Xenomorph Queen. Any artists out there? Lets make a comic! 

4 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

@Ahab the horror would come in the form of demonic possessions/sacrifices. In my head canon, Jason's soul was hijacked by thousands of vengeful native americans spirits trapped in the lakebed when he was murdered(why he cant die and can regenerate). Little bad =  evil ninjas Big bad = Eons old demon manifested through the most deadly warlord. Final fight akin to (but much longer than) Gandalf vs Balrog or Predator vs Xenomorph Queen. Any artists out there? Lets make a comic! 

Without using the evil dead reference at all... what you suggest here reminds me of the Lovecraft mythos around the Necronomicon and the "Old Ones"... That is to say, in place of the vengeful native American spirits. The beings summoned through the Necronomicon were thought of as demons... but that is not what they were... and blood sacrifice was a big part of the rituals within the book, but the sacrifice did not need to be human. 
   The Necronomicon in part 9... without considering the Evil Dead reference once again... was a perfect explanation for where the movies went with Jason. This was my initial thought when seeing part 9 the first time and already having read much of Lovecraft's works... Deadites do not need to come into the picture, that was Sam Rami's bastardized version of the Lovecraft mythos. Pamela got her hands on the book, performed a ritual to bring back her son that required sacrifice... but she inadvertently became the final sacrifice which brought back her son. But not in the way she thought he would come back. It even sounds like something Lovecraft would have written. I know this had an entire thread around it... and I agree, Jason is not a Deadite… but he could be an "Old One" in "human" form... Although this is not what was intended by the creators and writers of the earlier movies at all... but the human mind likes to have an explanation for things that have no explanation. I still want to know what happened to Paul at the end of part 2... but I have my own speculations about that as well.

With whichever of the many Old Ones entities that could have possessed Jason and brought him back... The Old Ones did not all get along with each other... the possessed warlord just happens to be a rival entity and both resume their hatred of each other after thousands of years between their last battle. And Perhaps Jason's fall from the sky had been prophesized... and the people were waiting for him. Perhaps the possessed warlord was also waiting for his ancient rival to arrive in his new form.

The vengeful native American spirits work well too though... that was just me throwing in my two cents.
   And evil Ninjas controlled by a warlord possessed by a powerful demonic entity... how can you go wrong with that? Have you ever seen Ninja Scroll? It had a similar concept... Its an anime movie, very bloody and not for children.
   I used to do a lot of artwork and actually wanted to be a comic book artist when I was a kid... but its been years since I picked up the pencil or did an ink over. This would make a good comic though. The final battle would be interesting to say the least.

I think we might be straying off topic here a bit though. Have you started a thread with this idea in "all things horror"? Let me know if you do.

I think i got my first boner from ninja scroll lol. I just might do that. Rich people may have their hands tied with creating new content but all the sweaters, pocket knives and lawyers in the world couldnt stop us fans.

• Like 1

Salo 120 days of sodom - make it more shocking and repulsive

Sleepaway Camp - original is great but some of the acting is so bad XD

Hellraiser - while i absolutely love the original, i'd like some of The X rated visuals from he novel added, and better effects

1) Friday the 13th

2) Nightmare on elm street.

3) The exorcist

But Im talking complete overhauls and reworks. M. S. G. A. (make stabbing great again)

Just because remakes are more popular than original stories.... here is another three that should be remade.

Nightbreed…. A great movie with a twist, the monsters are not the bad guys. Also a great book... but the book was titled "Cabal".

The Night Stalker: The Kolchak Tapes... Just because... Kolchak was awesome... and there have been no good vampire movies in a while. Probably not many people on these forums old enough to remember the original movies and TV series... Although they did redo the TV series... the new version sucked.

Gargoyles... Not the cartoon series... the 1972 movie. Kind of cheesy now, but this could be done well today. I did hear recently that they plan to make a movie out of the cartoon series though... Who knows, maybe that one will be worth watching at least... but there would not be as much blood as there would be if they remade the old movie.