Competitive or Horror?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which style you think devs should focus on?

• Horror
    • Competitive

So I always been wondering which experience people would like more to this game. An horror experience or an competitive experience (like DBD). Personally I think devs should focus on trying to make a good horror game instead of an competitive one, we got already DBD for that.

In horror aspect we should have something like the beta, make Jason scary and everything more dangerous for counselors. Plus, the should put more voice lines in the game while playing. Like when you see one teammate and get closer to him the counselor you are playing should say something like "Thank God I found you A.J, we have to get out of here" or something like that, or when Jason is chasing them they should say like "¡Please leave me alone!". Believe me, when you care about an character it makes everything more scary for some reason. Besides, it would make the game more inmersive and realistic.

Now back to the topic, in competitive aspect we got a game kind of like DBD. With perks that really affect gameplay and the only thing that matters is escape. Jason wouldn't be scary and they would fight back a lot, and of course, Jason find their way to kill them all. Important items would be more hidden and killing Jason should be harder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The game is both, and could get better at doing both. It is its own game and doesn't have to grow in a specific way because of the choices other games make. Unfortunately with a small team it can only grow so fast and in so many ways. I do see a lot of room for that growth to happen naturally, into both more horror and a higher level of competition. 

Neat idea for a topic.

10 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

The game is both, and could get better at doing both. It is its own game and doesn't have to grow in a specific way because of the choices other games make. Unfortunately with a small team it can only grow so fast and in so many ways. I do see a lot of room for that growth to happen naturally, into both more horror and a higher level of competition. 

Neat idea for a topic.

It can't be both. DBD tried and well, look how it ended. If the game focus on a competitive way they can't do horror at the same time. Since this would require a balance between Jason and counselors instead of making Jason a killing machine. By the way, when I mean "Horror" I mean something like this: 

Or this: 

@PlayerAgainstTheMachine, I don't see balance from the same angle as you. I'd like the game to be more like those trailers, in fact I spent a good part of the day, adding suggestions to make it a more unpredictable experience. It would be very hard to lay it all out for you, I'll try to break it down.

So your a new player, you have a progression system built into your perks that encourages you to build one type of team playing counselor, this will giving you the most levelling. At the same time Jason is going to be receiving a series of scaled buffs. Basically a behind the scenes ranking system will set matches with equally progressed players, Jason and counselors. So at the start your fighting a Jason no more than one invisible rank above you. That Jason can make use of the buffs as the counselors he faces progress.

At a specific level you can choose to see the ranking system and play the game competitively, at any point you could choose to ignore it again. At this point your Perks are high level but maybe not yet legendary and Jason is truly a monster by the end of the match, team play is required, you have to escape quick or plan to kill him. (In private matches they could even let a ranked Jason hunt you, regardless of counselor standing.) 

To keep people playing it, the ranked system could apply to each progression chain in the system so you would want to complete them all. The perks would still be able to be used on any of your counselors. So you could rank up multiple times with the same counselor or use a different one. Say six or seven progression lines that need to go from common to legendary, that's quite a bit of play. In a very competitive horror game. Make what people do matter more than escaping, or make escaping quick the goal.

Eventual give us a leaderboard, for the really hardcore counselors and Jason's. Maybe a way to set up teams for going against preset Jason players. A friend of the team or a ranked stranger.

Tried to cover how I think it's possible to do both. It's a rank system or new modes that will get players playing.

If the game chooses to go full horror I think that a chunk of the players would leave, it would be hard to get them back. Counselors need to have a better sense of progression, small things like item skins can be used to keep people playing as well. Collecting them could become quite competitive.

l think this game is more flexible than people give it credit for, no worries either this has been a pleasant exchange. I'm going to rewatch the videos now.

12 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

@PlayerAgainstTheMachine, I don't see balance from the same angle as you. I'd like the game to be more like those trailers, in fact I spent a good part of the day, adding suggestions to make it a more unpredictable experience. It would be very hard to lay it all out for you, I'll try to break it down.

So your a new player, you have a progression system built into your perks that encourages you to build one type of team playing counselor, this will giving you the most levelling. At the same time Jason is going to be receiving a series of scaled buffs. Basically a behind the scenes ranking system will set matches with equally progressed players, Jason and counselors. So at the start your fighting a Jason no more than one invisible rank above you. That Jason can make use of the buffs as the counselors he faces progress.

At a specific level you can choose to see the ranking system and play the game competitively, at any point you could choose to ignore it again. At this point your Perks are high level but maybe not yet legendary and Jason is truly a monster by the end of the match, team play is required, you have to escape quick or plan to kill him. (In private matches they could even let a ranked Jason hunt you, regardless of counselor standing.) 

To keep people playing it, the ranked system could apply to each progression chain in the system so you would want to complete them all. The perks would still be able to be used on any of your counselors. So you could rank up multiple times with the same counselor or use a different one. Say six or seven progression lines that need to go from common to legendary, that's quite a bit of play. In a very competitive horror game. Make what people do matter more than escaping, or make escaping quick the goal.

Eventual give us a leaderboard, for the really hardcore counselors and Jason's. Maybe a way to set up teams for going against preset Jason players. A friend of the team or a ranked stranger.

Tried to cover how I think it's possible to do both. It's a rank system or new modes that will get players playing.

If the game chooses to go full horror I think that a chunk of the players would leave, it would be hard to get them back. Counselors need to have a better sense of progression, small things like item skins can be used to keep people playing as well. Collecting them could become quite competitive.

l think this game is more flexible than people give it credit for, no worries either this has been a pleasant exchange. I'm going to rewatch the videos now.

Like I said before,  you can't do an horror game and at the same time an competitive one. In competitive games everything needs to be perfectly balanced to make it more fair. In horror games the killer will always have more power and will have more advantages on his side. 

Remember the ending chase from part 4?

That's how it should be, competitive chases with horror, the objective is to defend yourself from the killer.

22 minutes ago, PlayerAgainstTheMachine said:

Like I said before,  you can't do an horror game and at the same time an competitive one. In competitive games everything needs to be perfectly balanced to make it more fair. In horror games the killer will always have more power and will have more advantages on his side. 

Not true. Some of my friends competed in tournament that strictly gave you points for counselor objectives. If you alternate rounds with each team running their Jason it can absolutely have both horror and competitive elements.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ralph_E_Fresh said:

Remember the ending chase from part 4?

That's how it should be, competitive chases with horror, the objective is to defend yourself from the killer.

This would be great. I remember when I saw recently The Strangers 2 is that the main characters fight back a lot of times, but the horror still there. I think if they find a way to make Jason more scary and they put more dynamic combat (something like you really feel proud that you stunned with a baseball bat the freaking Jason Vorhees)  and they do the game more immersive like putting more voice lines to the counselors this game would be 10 times better. 

33 minutes ago, PlayerAgainstTheMachine said:

Anything can be made competitive. The creators of Smash Brothers have publicly said that they don't care about Smash being a competitive game, and yet Smash games frequently have the most people entering them at tournaments. Competition comes from people who play the game.

This game pits players vs a player, it will inevitably attract some kind of competition.  If Jason is too overwhelmingly strong, to the point that even 1 player escaping is rare, people will find it ether to hard to survive, or too boring to play Jason because he is brain dead to play, killing any meaningful meaningful exchange between players.  Right now though, Jason is teedering on the edge of being too weak.  Due to how slow CS quick block is, combined with the slight delay in all animations + swift Attacker, it's just about impossible to block a swing on reaction, which now requires a read by blocking before they act.  This is not mentioning that sometimes block flat-out doesn't work many times.  As is, Jason isn't strong enough, mainly due to what seam to be unintentional change of mechanics or bugs brought by the new patch.  It's a shame because Jason's was at his strongest since I've played and was at a good place during the last patch, and just needed a few tweaks to improve him just a bit more to balance him out.

Horror games are never scary the second play through though. Resident Evil, the first time I saw a zombie pop out of the ground I jumped back in my seat! Second play through, yawn. Anyway I can just skip these cut scenes??? ?

The competitive nature of gamers in general will keep them coming back to a game. Just to move up the leaderboard, bragging rights, etc. Once you learn how to effectively accomplish something, you want to be able to use that skill. I can't do it myself, but I imagine learning how to effectively combat Jason gives you a real sense of satifaction, whereas a once in a lifetime lucky hit on an OP enemy is just a very, very brief moment of joy. (But more relief than anything) the rest of the time it is just straight up frustrating. (Which often leads to disinterest in a game.)

I voted horror, but for keeping an online community coming back, competitive is your best bet.

As a Jason player I try my damnedest to scare these competitive counselors ( being on the other side of a door they open, stalk shift grab, morphing in front of a runner ) but all I get in return is foul mouth regurgitated insults and AFK trolling. 

2 hours ago, malloymk said:

Not true. Some of my friends competed in tournament that strictly gave you points for counselor objectives. If you alternate rounds with each team running their Jason it can absolutely have both horror and competitive elements.

It depends of which Jason is playing. If it's a bad Jason counselors will bully him and of course in won't be scary anymore. 

I think y'all are missing the point of this thread. I was asking about what thing would you like more to see. More perks and competitive aspects like a ranking system and a leaderboard. Or would you like if the game would be more horror focused, like adding more inmersion (more voice lines to the characters, more sounds, being more bloody and making Jason more powerful) and such. 

17 hours ago, Dead Meme said:

Horror. 

This

Unfortunately it won’t ever be like it was when we all first started playing though. Because then it was new and unseen. But they can do small things (and they have) to increase the fear factor.

• Like 1

I voted horror. The competitive nature of DBD is the part that pushes me away from playing it; I'm generally more concerned with whether or not I rank up instead of enjoying the gameplay and atmosphere. 

This game could have both if it had a proper story mode like Outlast or Alien Isolation. Heres hoping the sequel has it.

Horror for sure, but the problem is that young millennials are so detached from reality that nothing could ever possibly make them fear for their lives.

They wouldn't even entertain the notion of being in grievous bodily harm of a hot knife in their flesh. It's all about the lolzzzzzz.

It only takes a little imagination, as well as the desire to be lifted out of your comfort zone, to truly have a horror experience. Sadly most of today's videogame playerbase is inert to any of this.

Horror. This game has so potential to be terrifying. All they gotta do is make Jason the stalker he is from the movies.

Get rid of the hand holding Proximity music, and enhance or swap Stalk with Sense. 

And why the hell does Jason even appear on the map?

5 minutes ago, dandop1984 said:

Horror. This game has so potential to be terrifying. All they gotta do is make Jason the stalker he is from the movies.

Get rid of the hand holding Proximity music, and enhance or swap Stalk with Sense. 

And why the hell does Jason even appear on the map?

Hardcore mode v1.3 :

(counselors) no HUD, no perks, counselors randomly selected, damage input increased, no vhs static on any of jasons powers

(jason) no HUD, no sense, damage output increased, no sweater warning, no failed/success QTE/trap sound cues unless in hearing range, morph/shift/stalk available at start with slightly longer cooldown   

44 minutes ago, dandop1984 said:

The intense proximity music is part of the immersion experience I consider important for a horror game. 

When Jason has stalk on it removes the music and to be honest, during those moments it doesn't feel like a I'm watching a Friday the 13th film without the Manfredini score intensifying when Jason is near a counselor. It actually looks pretty awkward, like a mockumentary. Like Michael Scott from "the Office" is running around in a hockey mask. 

3 hours ago, Pazuzu said:

The intense proximity music is part of the immersion experience I consider important for a horror game. 

When Jason has stalk on it removes the music and to be honest, during those moments it doesn't feel like a I'm watching a Friday the 13th film without the Manfredini score intensifying when Jason is near a counselor. It actually looks pretty awkward, like a mockumentary. Like Michael Scott from "the Office" is running around in a hockey mask. 

First off there would still be the ambient music that plays through out the game. When Jason uses Stalk the ambient  music still plays, at least from the counselors perspective, and of course once you see Jason his normal Jason theme music would kick in, which would actually intensify the impact of it, so I don’t know what you mean by an awkward documentary. 

Have you ever played Alien Isolation or Outlast? How scary do you think it would be that every time the Alien was near by, the game gave you a warning and the Alien theme song got stronger as he got closer . That’s not scary, maybe the first time, but the impact is lost, and it quickly becomes an alarm system.

You know what is scary, not knowing. Fear of the unknown. 

Plain and simple. Not realizing the killer is already upstairs with you in packinack. Turning a corner and having Jason running straight at you, and That’s when Harry manfredini’s music hits you with full impact.

This game has that potential, it just needs some tweaks 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2