NScarlato

Vanessa and the need to (indirectly) nerf (only) her

I haven’t even read all of the replies in this topic, but I will say yes, something should be done about Vanessa. A very skilled Vanessa player is tough on her own, but a very skilled Vanessa player running the restful, medic, and thick skinned perks, with 4 med spray uses, a pocket knife, and a bat? Good luck. I just don’t think any one counselor should be this much OP over the other counselors. 

One of the things that makes Vanessa so good is that stealth play and high repair characters aren't really in demand because Jason can spam sense to find you and low repair characters can just re-roll the minigames until they get a favorable result. If Jason is always going to be able to find you, then obviously speed and stamina become the two most important stats to have.

That said, I'd suggest these changes:

1) Change sense to have a global cooldown just like every other Jason ability. Giving Jason less "rolls" to find characters is beneficial to high stealth/composure characters and also actually makes +sense a real benefit as it will come off cooldown faster. With less chances to use sense, Jason will naturally gravitate toward characters like Vanessa who light up the map with sound pings, meaning they will spend more amount of time having to deal with Jason than stealthier characters, which I believe was the intent of the developers all along.

2) Institute a three second cooldown on re-rolling repair minigames. Counselors need to be able to disengage from repairing in order to escape Jason if he morphs to them, but the mechanic is being abused by low repair characters to get favorable wheels. By implementing a mandatory three second cooldown between attempts after you disengage, it makes the process long enough to not be optimal for low repair characters to keep "re-rolling" while simultaneously making high repair characters more desirable, as they don't need to re-roll.

3) Eating a trap (Jason or counselor) should reduce your speed by a flat percentage for the rest of the match. I'm admittedly stealing this idea from @malloymk because I think it's a good one. If you want to make traps have a real impact on the game, you have to do something with them besides causing damage, because thick-skinned and medic are making them completely trivial at the moment. By implementing a speed penalty, you still allow Vanessa to do her tank trapping, but with real consequences that disproportionately impact her and other high speed characters without being totally unfair. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Vanessa is the META character. She is available when you start the game. The perk system was the last thing implemented. Seeing a pattern here? The developers have said that they didn't plan for the META game. So you can see what is going on here. 

Vanessa should be unlocked a bit further down the line say level 45. 

4 hours ago, AngronKharn said:

The solution is so simple.Just remove the possibilty to have the same character twice or more in one lobby.

Yeah I know now the "you cant tke the favorite counselor of some player away from him and force him to play a different counselor." comments will show up soon.

But the thing is that decs can interfere and do that and they should, because the players cant handle their freedom of choice.

If I look at a lobby and out of eight counselors four are Vanessas I know that it will lead to a round around Jason and troll him scenario.

Its just gamebreaking.

Terrible idea that will lead to lobbies being unable to be filled. 

Also four Vanessa's are not too hard to deal with. Kill the smart characters first, then pick the Vanessa's off one by one. Hell Stalk Morph in at the first mistake and toss a knife into them. It may limp them, and at minimum starts over the minigame. 

Sure some people might get away, but that is more a matter of taking on good players than a Vanessa. 

4 hours ago, HuDawg said:

Nerf Med Sprays time to heal and remove duplicate item holding. Would probably make more sense then flat out nerfing Vanessa.

Swap Jasons stun time with how long it takes to heal.    Make Jason default stun time 1 second.   Make the med spray take at least 5 seconds to use.

Remove the ability to hold duplicate items.  Which will have an impact on how people are using med sprays/medic perk.

I like the bolded. 

4 hours ago, TiffanyIsBae said:

Vanessa just does everything and there’s no stopping her. A good Vanessa can repair, defend, run, fight. Compare her to Buggzy and Tiffany, and you’ll realize how OP she really is. Tiffany can’t repair or defend. Buggzy can’t defend as well or repair. 

This is absolutely correct. You can stealth every major objective even with her 2 in repair. 

I'm seeing all these comments by basic Jason complainers. It's really NOT an issue for those who play in higher levels. I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't think the devs should nerf a character just to satisfy low-level players. Good Jasons can shift grab a good Vanessa player, they can block all of her attacks and make her limp with throwing knives. They can stalk+shift-grab effectively. Get better and Vanessa won't be that big of a problem.

5 hours ago, GeneiJin said:

Vanessa is just blessed.

Just nerf her repair to 1 and put the point into luck (6 to 7 won't do anything, lol).

Then buff Tiffs repair to 2, take it out of streitgh or composer.

All is happy in the world.

Why? I know the 2 strength doesn’t do much and @TiffanyIsBae has been adamant on this by buffing her repair but all that will do is make people bitch about Tiffany. If Tiffany had good speed, stamina, stealth, AND managable repair and they nerfed Vanessa to a 1 repair people who simply switch to Tiffany and then you’d see stories on the fourms to “Nerf Tiffany” because she would “be too OP”. As I have stated before, a 1 repair is not the end of the world for a Tiffany player...some counselors in the game where gonna be at the low end of the repair wheel and it just so happened to be Tiffany and Buggzy. Her trope is not know for being intelligent anyways, so what if it takes her a full minute to install a battery? Install it or give it to another counselor. Most of the time I can put in a car part by myself anyways, the fuse is situational on whether or not I can pull off a perfect skill check wheel or whether Jason is a noob or not.

I would not be upset if Vanessa’s repair was nerfed to a 1 however.

1 minute ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

Why? I know the 2 strength doesn’t do much and @TiffanyIsBae has been adamant on this by buffing her repair but all that will do is make people bitch about Tiffany. If Tiffany had good speed, stamina, stealth, AND managable repair and they nerfed Vanessa to a 1 repair people who simply switch to Tiffany and then you’d see stories on the fourms to “Nerf Tiffany” because she would “be too OP”. As I have stated before, a 1 repair is not the end of the world for a Tiffany player...some counselors in the game where gonna be at the low end of the repair wheel and it just so happened to be Tiffany and Buggzy. Her trope is not know for being intelligent anyways, so what if it takes her a full minute to install a battery? Install it or give it to another counselor. Most of the time I can put in a car part by myself anyways, the fuse is situational on whether or not I can pull off a perfect skill check wheel or whether Jason is a noob or not.

Its only a suggestion and the main point was to even out the difference between Vanessa and Tiff. Vanessa will still be be powerful in her overall kiting abilities, while being more reliant on others to provide an escape for her.  Jason Hunting Vanessa will find themselves in a bind if the Jason is cleaver enough to cut the power and trap it as well.  Tiff still will be weaker than Vanessa in kiting, but become more of a threat being able to sneak key parts to its objective and be reasonably able to repair (if you're good at it ;))  It's also kind of a trope for athletes to be bad technology or mechanics.  Bringing Tiff up one and Vanessa down doesn't really take away from the spirit of the trope ether.  I think it would be a win - win.  More incentive to chose Tiff and reducing at LEAST half of all the Vanessas in lobbies. 

4 minutes ago, GeneiJin said:

Its only a suggestion and the main point was to even out the difference between Vanessa and Tiff. Vanessa will still be be powerful in her overall kiting abilities, while being more reliant on others to provide an escape for her.  Jason Hunting Vanessa will find themselves in a bind if the Jason is cleaver enough to cut the power and trap it as well.  Tiff still will be weaker than Vanessa in kiting, but become more of a threat being able to sneak key parts to its objective and be reasonably able to repair (if you're good at it ;))  It's also kind of a trope for athletes to be bad technology or mechanics.  Bringing Tiff up one and Vanessa down doesn't really take away from the spirit of the trope ether.  I think it would be a win - win.  More incentive to chose Tiff and reducing at LEAST half of all the Vanessas in lobbies. 

Tiff is still a pretty powerful kiter and on par with Vanessa in kiting abilities. They’ve both got the highest amount of stamina in the game. Of course Tiffany has weaker speed but I just don’t see speed as a big deal when it comes to kiting if you can keep a reasonable amount of stamina in the tank.

I can get behind buffing Tiffany’s repair and nerfing Vanessa’s repair but if strength meant anything I’d buff Tiffany’s strength. I mean look at that body...she’s toned, you don’t get those glutes for nothing.

Tiff and Vanessa are two counselors I see A LOT of in quick play. I see a lot of AJ’s as well. I’m actually surprised on the survey a few weeks ago that Vanessa was not higher on the list of most liked counselor. The top three were AJ, Tiffany, and Debbie. 

3 minutes ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

Tiff is still a pretty powerful kiter and on par with Vanessa in kiting abilities. They’ve both got the highest amount of stamina in the game. Of course Tiffany has weaker speed but I just don’t see speed as a big deal when it comes to kiting if you can keep a reasonable amount of stamina in the tank.

I can get behind buffing Tiffany’s repair and nerfing Vanessa’s repair but if strength meant anything I’d buff Tiffany’s strength. I mean look at that body...she’s toned, you don’t get those glutes for nothing.

Tiff and Vanessa are two counselors I see A LOT of in quick play. I see a lot of AJ’s as well. I’m actually surprised on the survey a few weeks ago that Vanessa was not higher on the list of most liked counselor. The top three were AJ, Tiffany, and Debbie. 

I am maining AJ again simply because I love her character.  Especially with the new Violet dance.  I also like being able to fix things.  That said, once found she's one of the easiest counselor's to kill so it's a fun challenge.  Definitely not playing her in QP to have an easier time.

Vanessa and Chad are a problem cause of their speed. Stamina for me is not the issue. Its how easy it is for them to distance themselves from Jason and dodge attacks. Oh and luck is annoying due to how long they can hold their weapons and beat up Jason.

not to mention Sucker Punch is just.... ugh. 

Thick Skin, Medic, Sucker Punch. The unholy trinity. 

4 hours ago, thrawn3054 said:

I don't think any of the counselors need a nerf or buff. They preform the roles they were meant to. A good player can make any counselor an obnoxious pain in the ass to deal with. Granted the high speed stamina combo makes it easier, but you simply have to out play them. I've run the clock out with Mitch and the like. In the end it comes down to your ability vs. the other persons. 

I was going to say this too.

I always play random counselor, and I've run Jason around for 10 minutes as Kenny and still survived the night. With a flat 5 across the board, he's not really great at anything in that "Jack of all trades, master of none" kind of role. A lot of the time Jason players just don't follow through enough with a chase, or give the counselor an opportunity to regain their stamina by going in for grabs/swings, and in turn take a stun in return, giving the counselor an opportunity to collect more stamina. In my opinion, not enough Jason players try to outplay counselors by using mind-games (stalk-shifting from a distance, predicting the window loop and cutting them off, placing traps in atypical spots).

I also don't see as many Vanessa players as there was at release. I still see a ton of AJ, but in most lobbies, I'll see maybe 2-3 Vanessa players at most, and they are often the first to die.

3 minutes ago, AdrianBlackbear said:

I was going to say this too.

I always play random counselor, and I've run Jason around for 10 minutes as Kenny and still survived the night. With a flat 5 across the board, he's not really great at anything in that "Jack of all trades, master of none" kind of role. A lot of the time Jason players just don't follow through enough with a chase, or give the counselor an opportunity to regain their stamina by going in for grabs/swings, and in turn take a stun in return, giving the counselor an opportunity to collect more stamina. In my opinion, not enough Jason players try to outplay counselors by using mind-games (stalk-shifting from a distance, predicting the window loop and cutting them off, placing traps in atypical spots).

I also don't see as many Vanessa players as there was at release. I still see a ton of AJ, but in most lobbies, I'll see maybe 2-3 Vanessa players at most, and they are often the first to die.

In a lobby now.  First of the day. 3/7 are Vanessa.   And we have like 14 counselors now and she’s often played by multiple people.  

1 minute ago, NScarlato said:

In a lobby now.  First of the day. 3/7 are Vanessa.   And we have like 14 counselors now and she’s often played by multiple people.  

Ping me again when the game is over. Let me know how many escape, how many "stealth repair," and how many successfully distract Jason to get objectives complete, because I can almost guarantee that none of them will fulfill her true role as Vanessa. Many of them: 1. Don't deliver parts from one point to objectives, and 2. Don't play distraction; they play prey.

And if I can guess, the remaining players are all AJ or Tiffany?

12 minutes ago, AdrianBlackbear said:

Ping me again when the game is over. Let me know how many escape, how many "stealth repair," and how many successfully distract Jason to get objectives complete, because I can almost guarantee that none of them will fulfill her true role as Vanessa. Many of them: 1. Don't deliver parts from one point to objectives, and 2. Don't play distraction; they play prey.

And if I can guess, the remaining players are all AJ or Tiffany?

We got Jarvis map and they are all low levels.  No one lived.  I was AJ and got one repair done but had no stamina and was killed looking for the other part.  

But yes these Vanessa’s spent the game running ahead of me and hoarding and making sure I had no items to defend myself. 

The last counselor was another AJ who was under a bed in the corner of the map. 

25 minutes ago, AdrianBlackbear said:

. In my opinion, not enough Jason players try to outplay counselors by using mind-games (stalk-shifting from a distance, predicting the window loop and cutting them off, placing traps in atypical spots).

Of course NOT!!! Jason is SUPPOSED TO BE OP and shouldn't have to work aganst a player that clearly understands the mechanics and situational better.  God forbids they learn anything and have every right to complain about every a counselors does. :rolleyes:

Instead of melee attacks giving back the same percentage(looks like 50% or so) have it give the same numerical amount.

I.e. melee attacks against Jason give a flat rate of 25-50 POINTS of stamina back, rather than like 50% of that counselor's stamina pool.

50% of Vanessa's stamina pool is way bigger than AJ's stamina pool. Make it a flat rate return rather than percentage based.

• Like 1

If I'm playing as Jason and I see Vanessa I just let her get away.  Too much trouble going after her.  You can spend a whole 5 minutes trying to deal with her while the other counselors are getting objectives done.  It's just not worth it.

38 minutes ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

Tiffany is a strong kiter, because she was meant to be one. The stealth is for her to deliver parts, but let’s be real Deborah’s and AJs are always hiding or are in the fight. Majority of the time, I’m the one who has to fix the objectives, but her repair is so bad she’ll just notify Jason. She doesn’t need strength because her trope is the slutty girl which most don’t lift anything but their finger. If they buffed her repair she would be more independent, and actually use her stealth as an advantage. Nerfing Vanessa would make her strictly a distraction/protector. While Tiffany can be a solo/distraction. Buggzy should the buff too, and be a distraction/bully. 

1 hour ago, GeneiJin said:

? 

21 minutes ago, TiffanyIsBae said:

Tiffany is a strong kiter, because she was meant to be one. The stealth is for her to deliver parts, but let’s be real Deborah’s and AJs are always hiding or are in the fight. Majority of the time, I’m the one who has to fix the objectives, but her repair is so bad she’ll just notify Jason. She doesn’t need strength because her trope is the slutty girl which most don’t lift anything but their finger. If they buffed her repair she would be more independent, and actually use her stealth as an advantage. Nerfing Vanessa would make her strictly a distraction/protector. While Tiffany can be a solo/distraction. Buggzy should the buff too, and be a distraction/bully. 

?

OMG I hate when AJ and Deborah are hiding and not doing their jobs. Usually I have to do all the work on fixing objectives. I usually play low repair counselors (Tiffany, Jenny, Chad) and I’m forced to do all the fixing because either everybody in the lobby has below a 3 repair or the repair counselors aren’t fixing shit. One time I was Tiffany and Vanessa gave ME the fuse. Bitch what? I can’t put that shit in, how am I supposed to fix that? If they gave Vanessa a DEFINITE role in distraction/protecting by giving her a 1 repair, I can get behind buffing Tiff and Buggzy. Although their tropes don’t really rely on nor are definied by intelligence. The dumb jock and the flirty girl are literally the bottom of the barrel in intelligence which is why they have a 1 repair. What they should do is make tinker a valuable perk to have. Instead of making it go faster, make the skill check bars larger. But God forbid they do that or everybody on the forums will complain that tinker is the new “meta” perk and make 3,000 posts to nerf it like they do currently with medic.

22 minutes ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

OMG I hate when AJ and Deborah are hiding and not doing their jobs. Usually I have to do all the work on fixing objectives. I usually play low repair counselors (Tiffany, Jenny, Chad) and I’m forced to do all the fixing because either everybody in the lobby has below a 3 repair or the repair counselors aren’t fixing shit. One time I was Tiffany and Vanessa gave ME the fuse. Bitch what? I can’t put that shit in, how am I supposed to fix that? If they gave Vanessa a DEFINITE role in distraction/protecting by giving her a 1 repair, I can get behind buffing Tiff and Buggzy. Although their tropes don’t really rely on nor are definied by intelligence. The dumb jock and the flirty girl are literally the bottom of the barrel in intelligence which is why they have a 1 repair. What they should do is make tinker a valuable perk to have. Instead of making it go faster, make the skill check bars larger. But God forbid they do that or everybody on the forums will complain that tinker is the new “meta” perk and make 3,000 posts to nerf it like they do currently with medic.

Now you know why Tiffany needs the extra repair? She can’t do anything when she finds a part and no ones around. Not to mention the drastic difference between repair 1 and 2. 

2 hours ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

Most liked and most used are 2 different things. I'm on both consoles and 3-4 out of 7 people are Vanessa in QP. Including me. 

2 hours ago, GeneiJin said:

More incentive to chose Tiff and reducing at LEAST half of all the Vanessas in lobbies. 

Why should they nerf a character so you can see more of your favorite? Reasoning there is...??? I mean, I wish Jenny was useful, if so I'd be using swimsuit Jenny all day, but too bad. They made Vanessa best, stick with who you like, or go with the best. I chose the latter.

I'm a Vanessa user, and yes I feel that she can do it all except demask Jason easily. Speed and stam and with her luck, she can roll pretty easy mini-games. Medic, well rested, and marathon. I also play fighting games at high level, so I have the hand-eye and dexterity to pass her mini-games with ease. Whenever I want to win, I'm choosing her. Especially in QP where you will be likely counting on yourself to get the job done? I can find shit, run across the map while Jason says fuck it. Repair, rinse repeat. Jason isn't even expecting a Vanessa to repair.

Also since I prefer Jason to counselors anyway, most users of Vanessa are too brave, and will run right into death, and try to fight head on.