Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So we're struggling to break 1,000 players on PC, even during peak hours during the double XP event. It really isn't a question of why - there are lots of them covered in other topics. What I want to know is:

Do you guys think it will ever recover?  Is there a magic bullet the devs can fire that is going to revitalize the game? If they fixed every bug tomorrow, do you think people would come back? Do you think there is a feature they could add that would stir up interest again, and get us to even a quarter of our all-time peak of 16,000? I'm sure some will say 8-900 players is plenty for a game to operate. While I agree with that, I also feel like it's going to sink further rather than stabilize. Especially with things like the salt mines diving us further.

I'm looking at the double XP event and telling myself I should get in there and get some levels while I can I just....can't find the motivation or the excitement any more.

Most of the names in my Steam horror group are on DbD now and it makes me want to throw up ? . I'm stuck in this place where I can't tell if I've been white-knighting this game in denial, or if I'm over reacting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say they could keep it 2k if they fix all the bugs, polished mechanics, introduced worthwhile new mechanics and keep pushing content from the films while introducing a new mode perhaps.

There will always be a swing in that depending whose more OP. Jason or Counselor.

Some believe Jason should be OP and for the counselors to have to work to escape or kill him...and/or troll him.

Others believe it should be balanced/favor counselor and it should require skill for Jason to get kills and counselors should have it easier despite it being 7 against 1 because counselors don't work together in quick play as the reasoning. While somewhat true, 7 counselors of skill and/or using the correct counselors means Jason is null and void. Hell even 2 can butcher him, kill him, troll him, etc.

I think the devs should pick a direction and stick with it, rather than cater to both sides. Their gonna lose more players either way. The game is called F13, Jason is the star character. I think it speaks for itself which direction the game should take, provided they ever fix their game. I guess it comes down to what people think the standard should be. 4/8, 8/8, etc.

I think 4/8 against a skilled lobby and 8/8 when not. If Jason is being constantly killed, trolled, getting 0/8, 1/8, 2/8 then the game isn't what its cracked up to be because Jason never had a body count of 0 or 1 or 2 in any of the films.

But given the track record. Its always multiple steps back for every step forward. Its hard not to be pessimistic and that goes for BOTH sides of play.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think adding in Uber-Jason and Grendel will bring a chunk of players back for a time, but the key is hooking them and making them stay. To do that, I think it'll require them to fix the lion's share of the bugs in coordination with their major content releases (hopefully without making a lot more). Then to stay fairly consistent with a content update schedule, or at least push the game via things like free weekends or more consistent bonus XP/Tape events.

I recognize that IllFonic is a small team and the temptation to compare them to the DBD team dismisses that Behaviour Interactive has worked on Triple A titles in the past so they have more experience with these things, but still you have to keep some kind of content momentum (and keep your game mechanically functional) to keep a dedicated community. 

I really hope it gets a shot in the arm though. I have both games and while both have their charms I very much prefer the gameplay and style of F13. For all its flaws, I think they've made a great game that just needs some polish and tweaking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SolidusPrime said:

So we're struggling to break 1,000 players on PC,

Play on console.!!     

 

Even on xbox..  Theres over 200 looking for group games and wait times for QP are about 1 min.

 

Looks like PC players have lost their mind.  IF they would rather play DBD over this.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Play on console.!!     

And pay for a game you bought?......

nah.jpg.0ded9079007162e60506df74dac01daa.jpg

But to OP , I think at some Point it will get better for PC. Since on consoles there is no real Problem. And no , you are not wrong at defending this game.

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

I think 4/8 against a skilled lobby and 8/8 when not.

This sounds reasonable to me, assuming Jason player is average to good. Current state I believe is good, as long as they bring back body blocking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, badassgixxer05 said:

This sounds reasonable to me, assuming Jason player is average to good. Current state I believe is good, as long as they bring back body blocking...

That one can´t be intentional , can it? There is no way , they could have thought that this was a good Idea. It doesn´t even make sense! Hell , in the beginning they could actually kill them before Jason. That is my onliest Thing I don´t like about the update to be honest.

Edited by The Wolf with that Toast
Does somebody hate me or why did you give me two confusions? You know , you could just ask and I would explain.
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

And pay for a game you bought?......

nah.jpg.0ded9079007162e60506df74dac01daa.jpg

 

Well im just sayin.. The player base is rockin on consoles.

 

Anywhere between 5pm est to 2 pm est.   Console player base looks like this.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could sell out and put other movie character such as Freddy Krueger  in .That the near ONLY reason games like Dead By Daylight are As popular as they are because the killers they create don't generate as much buzz as licensed Horror characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HuDawg said:

 

Well im just sayin.. The player base is rockin on consoles.

 

Anywhere between 5pm est to 2 pm est.   Console player base looks like this.

 

 

 

Just curious - Do you have any actual hard numbers for this, or just your gut feeling?

Because lobbies take under a minute on PC still too. That's why I said normally 8-900 players isn't an issue. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the balance is spot on right now. There's 2 things they need to focus on in my opinion.

1. Fix the bugs. This should go without stating. There's far too many and several game breakers. Enough is enough.

2. They've got to introduce a deeper perk and leveling system, both for Jason and the counselors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

 

Well im just sayin.. The player base is rockin on consoles.

 

Anywhere between 5pm est to 2 pm est.   Console player base looks like this.

 

 

 

I am a console Player......but I will Switch to PC.

PS I always thought , he sings : whoop dat ass...........

@The Gloved One I think most People , who Play that have never watched a Horror movie.....well , atleast before playing the game.

I think here are more dedicated Horror fans.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

That one can´t be intentional , can it? There is no way , they could have thought that this was a good Idea. It doesn´t even make sense! Hell , in the beginning they could actually kill them before Jason. That is my onliest Thing I don´t like about the update to be honest.

Yeah its almost impossible to get a grab kill with 2 or more counselors working together. I usually have to time combat blocks or get beat up for a second and wait for a weapon to break to get a grab kill now in groups. was nice to have the body block to be able to turn grabbed counselor into swinging counselor and not get stunned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SolidusPrime said:

Just curious - Do you have any actual hard numbers for this, or just your gut feeling?

Because lobbies take under a minute on PC still too. That's why I said normally 8-900 players isn't an issue. 

Well on xbox the looking for group is always 200+ pages .   And theres also the QP.

Its extremely popular on xbox.  But i don't have real numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Yeah its almost impossible to get a grab kill with 2 or more counselors working together. I usually have to time combat blocks or get beat up for a second and wait for a weapon to break to get a grab kill now in groups. was nice to have the body block to be able to turn grabbed counselor into swinging counselor and not get stunned.

Is it even possible to kill a Tommy and Sweater Girl now? Even when you still have the mask on , it must be next to impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

I am a console P

@The Gloved One I think most People , who Play that have never watched a Horror movie.....well , atleast before playing the game.

I think here are more dedicated Horror fans.

 Majority of Dead by Daylight fans are clueless and probably think somebody like Michael Myers is a new Character .But on topic yes I do believe the P.C player base can be saved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Gloved One said:

 Majority of Dead by Daylight fans are clueless and probably think somebody like Michael Myers is a new Character .But on topic yes I do believe the P.C player base can be saved.

Some were probably like : Michael Myers......He must be related to Jenny Myers from Friday!

Edited by The Wolf with that Toast
Yep , somebody definitely hates me.
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

Some were probably like : Michael Myers......He must be related to Jenny Myers from Friday!

Well they aren't wrong technically ,the voice actress for Jenny played Judith Myers in the Halloween Remake .I believe the Grendel if given proper treatment .will bring back a ton to the p.c player base .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not too worried about the player count. Consoles seem to be doing pretty well. Pc might struggle to break over 1000 doesn’t mean the entire player is decaying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New modes without being scared to go outside the f13 franchise. Every new franchise they expand into will bring more loyal players. Evil Dead and Night of the Living Dead would both be 'easy' editions to the game. Each can be used to test new features or mechanics before changing the core game. 

Bi-Weekly events for item that you can keep to expand your options for customization. Flashlights/radio skins should come first followed by other cosmetic upgrades. New items that change the dynamics of play, healing, hiding and repair all need to be expanded in small ways that create a fresh new experience, similar to the old but more comprehensive. Fortknife rules at this right now, add bikes and wheelchairs to create new user experiences the way Forkknife did with the shopping cart. 

Add the ability to continue a match after it has finished by going immediately to the next map. I would like an all connecting road map but it wouldn't be necessary, most of the camp exits could be set up as connecting to other camps. Dead players would spawn in the new map as normal but those that escaped would come in either the boat or car. If you escaped to the cops you would spawn in same as a dead player. 

There are three ideas in rough draft, I've written more about all three in the past, ask if you need links.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The PC player base is generally less tolerant of dealing with glitches/bugs and with a abundance of great games available that are free to play.   Honestly, nothing less that a largely bug free experience, plus positive word to mouth is need to revive the dwindling player count.

 

44 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

Is it even possible to kill a Tommy and Sweater Girl now? Even when you still have the mask on , it must be next to impossible.

I don't think there is any consistent way to deal with them beside simply preventing Tommy from spawning or allowing the sweater gril from leaving the Shack alive, but trying cleaver tactics can sometimes save you.   A Jason for example got me by baited me to chase him to sweater stun, canceled out and ran up to stun him.   The jerk hide a trap in the bushes in between us, lol, which saved him.  I'll be sure to watch out for that in the future, but sometime stuff like that can save Jason

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GeneiJin said:

I don't think there is any consistent way to deal with them beside simply preventing Tommy from spawning or allowing the sweater gril from leaving the Shack alive, but trying cleaver tactics can sometimes save you.   A Jason for example got me by baited me to chase him to sweater stun, canceled out and ran up to stun him.   The jerk hide a trap in the bushes in between us, lol, which saved him.  I'll be sure to watch out for that in the future, but sometime stuff like that can save Jason

That happened to me as well! But all 4 of us avoided them......well , I actually stepped in one after the kill. Would I have stepped one step further he would have won. Was pretty funny though because as soon as I ran to him he ran back to the lake. We all try to bait him out....then he goes to us and then I run 2 seconds and he is already in the lake.

Well , that tactic sadly isn´t really useable as a -Traps Jason.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

Well , that tactic sadly isn´t really useable as a -Traps Jason.

Yea, I feel you,  That's among the reasons why I wouldn't use at -trap Jason. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SolidusPrime said:

Most of the names in my Steam horror group are on DbD now...

I am actually considering buying that game...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@OP

I called this months ago, and it’s only going to get worse till they get their shit together. Eventually we will hit a “point of no return”. I am hoping we haven’t gone that far, but we just may be there already. Only time will tell! With that said buying this game was a good experience for me. It taught me to never buy another title with Gun/Illfonic on the label.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...