Sign in to follow this  
PowellCampsNAKED

What Was “Cort” even talking about?? Lol

I watched part 6 again for the 100th time but still can’t figure out what the fuck Cort was trying to tell the campers about the pile of rocks!?

🤔 

Cort was basically telling us that his own dad was a philanderer, and that he used to recruit Cort to clue him in to whether or not his mom was wise to it, and then tied that to some gobbledygook about native tribes and communication through piles of rocks.

2 hours ago, PowellCampsNAKED said:

I watched part 6 again for the 100th time but still can’t figure out what the fuck Cort was trying to tell the campers about the pile of rocks!?

🤔

@NthnButAGoodTime

Friday The 13th Part 6: Jason Lives 28:00 - 28:42

1244785761_4.jpg

KID

You gotta be kidding.

CORT

Listen, you obviously don't know anything about Indians, ok.

Probably none of you do. Look, here's the story. These are called Indian markers, ok.

Lets just say you have a chief, alright? And he dumps his squaw or his wife or whatever.

And he decides, "I'm gonna pick up with another woman and take off with her.

So he takes off, leaving his son with the mother.

All of a sudden a week or two later, the son wants to catch up with his dad, right?

He wants to learn how to shoot a bow, kill a buffalo. Whatever these guys do.

So,what happens is he comes along...sees the rocks, says, "Dad, he went that way." obviously.

And so what happens is he knocks downs them all down before the mother catches up...because he doesn't want to see any of her anymore.

So pretty much that is the basic story. It tells you where to go.

KID

If this is exciting as it gets, we're in big trouble, dude.

uFIGQD.gif

• Like 2

@GhostWolfViking

I will amend my observation slightly after reading your transcript (I was going on memory). Cort's dad was still a philanderer (this is the subtext of Cort believing this was a relatable premise to a standard group of kids), but Cort wasn't complicit in his dad's secrecy so much as projecting his wish that he hadn't been cut out of his dad's life.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PowellCampsNAKED said:

🤔

Is this one of the SP Challenges?

3 hours ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

Cort was basically telling us that his own dad was a philanderer, and that he used to recruit Cort to clue him in to whether or not his mom was wise to it, and then tied that to some gobbledygook about native tribes and communication through piles of rocks.

Riggghhhhtttttt !!!!! 😬

4 hours ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

@GhostWolfViking

I will amend my observation slightly after reading your transcript (I was going on memory). Cort's dad was still a philanderer (this is the subtext of Cort believing this was a relatable premise to a standard group of kids), but Cort wasn't complicit in his dad's secrecy so much as projecting his wish that he hadn't been cut out of his dad's life.

Sounds like you are the one who is "projecting".

1 hour ago, zmccain said:

Sounds like you are the one who is "projecting".

I'm simply reading the subtext planted by the writer. You have a character whose first inclination of a relatable narrative to a group of children is a story about a father wandering off to get some side action. It's not really a standard approach to children.

One of the only other character-building instances for Cort through the narrative is a scene in which his intent is to hold off his orgasm until a song is over. This appears to be something that is in his complete control, as when the power goes out, he releases on cue, despite the fairly vigorous rhythm up to that point. He appears to have a practiced control over this biological feat far beyond that of a typical early-twenty-something.

Cort's implied idolization of his father, despite his abandonment, coupled with the apparent sexual nature of his father's departure informs a sexual identity in Cort that has already been finely honed, despite his young age.

Now, sure, this could all be just silly dialogue filler in a dumb popcorn movie. I'd buy that, if this movie, of all the entries in the series, didn't go out of its way to pack obvious visual puns, winks to the audience, audience-participation cues, and a deep non-sequitur background for even the smallest of characters.

As far as the suggestion that I'm simply projecting, I grew up in a stable, happy suburban home, with both of my parents, who are rapidly approaching another milestone anniversary.

Speaking of reaching into the subtle edges of the story, Fun Rabbit Hole question for any readers interested in responding: What was Megan drawing in the police station prior to assisting in Tommy's breakout?

10 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

I'm simply reading the subtext planted by the writer. You have a character whose first inclination of a relatable narrative to a group of children is a story about a father wandering off to get some side action. It's not really a standard approach to children.

One of the only other character-building instances for Cort through the narrative is a scene in which his intent is to hold off his orgasm until a song is over. This appears to be something that is in his complete control, as when the power goes out, he releases on cue, despite the fairly vigorous rhythm up to that point. He appears to have a practiced control over this biological feat far beyond that of a typical early-twenty-something.

Cort's implied idolization of his father, despite his abandonment, coupled with the apparent sexual nature of his father's departure informs a sexual identity in Cort that has already been finely honed, despite his young age.

Now, sure, this could all be just silly dialogue filler in a dumb popcorn movie. I'd buy that, if this movie, of all the entries in the series, didn't go out of its way to pack obvious visual puns, winks to the audience, audience-participation cues, and a deep non-sequitur background for even the smallest of characters.

As far as the suggestion that I'm simply projecting, I grew up in a stable, happy suburban home, with both of my parents, who are rapidly approaching another milestone anniversary.

Speaking of reaching into the subtle edges of the story, Fun Rabbit Hole question for any readers interested in responding: What was Megan drawing in the police station prior to assisting in Tommy's breakout?

Well, in my opinion you are reading way too much into what are obviously just jokes.  And not even good jokes.  The "indian" scene is just ironic humor.  It's supposed to be funny because the "adult" is supposed to be teaching the children and he's dumber than they are.  Ironic.  The sex scene is just a straight out sex joke.  The reason he's "holding it" is because the girl is telling him to hold it until the end of the song.  The joke is that that would be tough for any guy.  That's the joke. (in Schwarzenegger voice) 

The reason I said it sounded like you were the one who was projecting is that when people make a leap and overly complicate something it is usually because they are projecting their own experiences onto it.   Guess I was wrong.  😯

1 hour ago, zmccain said:

Well, in my opinion you are reading way too much into what are obviously just jokes.  And not even good jokes.  The "indian" scene is just ironic humor.  It's supposed to be funny because the "adult" is supposed to be teaching the children and he's dumber than they are.  Ironic.  The sex scene is just a straight out sex joke.  The reason he's "holding it" is because the girl is telling him to hold it until the end of the song.  The joke is that that would be tough for any guy.  That's the joke. (in Schwarzenegger voice) 

The reason I said it sounded like you were the one who was projecting is that when people make a leap and overly complicate something it is usually because they are projecting their own experiences onto it.   Guess I was wrong.  😯

You’re wrong. 

If you only see what is on the surface and none of the subtext in movies, then you are missing out on what makes movies most worth rewatching. You think that THAT was reading too much into it? You don’t know shit about Semiotics, then. :lol:

2 hours ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

What was Megan drawing in the police station prior to assisting in Tommy's breakout?

She launched a rubber band at him.

Wrote a message on the paper that was not completely visible.

Then drew a terribly drawn tree.

It's clear what she was trying to say.

Don't crash into any trees while driving the car because of the rubber band bug. 😄

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

no idea but i want you to tell it now spill the beans

2 hours ago, jahzaveamanaie said:

no idea but i want you to tell it now spill the beans

So here's a screengrab from YouTube (I can't get to my discs to put together something better.)

Screenshot_20180605-062854.png

Though I think @GhostWolfViking was setting up a game glitch joke, it's understandable that someone would think she's drawing a tree. However, in a heavily forested area, it seems weird that a sapling with apparently disconnected branches would be the go-to tree image for a local resident and camp counselor. The sketch itself is really only meant for Tommy.

We (AND Tommy) had, just a few scenes back, seen a similar collection of lines and contours. During the car chase, Megan orders Tommy to duck his head out of view which lines him up to see the image below.

Screenshot_20180605-071415.png

Screenshot_20180605-071327.png

The film proceeds to dump innuendo into the dialogue of the car chase as a full confession that it knows what it's doing (when is the last time you heard someone refer to a turn in the road as "hairy"?) 

Now, assuming that was the intended callback for the drawing, it suffers by not immediately following the chase scene and poor framing (we are at least able to see most of the drawing, even though we can't make out her earlier note to Tommy). I suspect the original idea was to have those scenes closer together, but pacing concerns outweighed that goal. 

I'll put to two images closer together and let you decide for yourselves.

Screenshot_20180605-062854.pngScreenshot_20180605-071327.png

BONUS QUESTION: What did Tommy say about the drawing?

Based on the lengths the film goes to pack in this basically unnoticed joke, I don't feel like I'm reaching to believe that Cort is speaking biographically when he talks about the rock pile.

• Like 2

Every time I hear the name 'Cort', it just makes me think of my ex girlfriend lol. 

Wondering if 'Cort' is short for Cortese or something. 'Court' is the girl's name :)

21 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

BONUS QUESTION: What did Tommy say about the drawing?

There, are you happy?

Tommy - No. It stinks. 🐟

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

Based on the lengths the film goes to pack in this basically unnoticed joke, I don't feel like I'm reaching to believe that Cort is speaking biographically when he talks about the rock pile.

thats the most mind blowing thing ive read here yet. i never knew the film did that smart stuff.

51 minutes ago, GhostWolfViking said:

There, are you happy?

Tommy - No. It stinks. 🐟

thats the longest and most thought out horror movie dick joke ive ever witnessed. but also,

🤢🤢eek

41 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

I was so confused. I thought you were talking about some weird streamer.

I think nothing of this applies to the German Version.

Fascinating! I'd be interested in seeing the script for the German version of that scene.

4 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

Fascinating! I'd be interested in seeing the script for the German version of that scene.

Which Scene? I may write it on here.

4 hours ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

Which Scene? I may write it on here.

The counselor, Cort, is crouched over a pile of rocks, telling the campers a story. 

@The Wolf with that Toast, the scene is in Part 6 if that wasn't already clear.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, NthnButAGoodTime said:

The counselor, Cort, is crouched over a pile of rocks, telling the campers a story. 

@The Wolf with that Toast, the scene is in Part 6 if that wasn't already clear.

I was not sure if this Scene or the Tommy Scenes.

Ok , let´s start :

Kid : Soll das ein Witz sein? - Is this supposed to be a joke?

Cort : Hört zu , ihr wisst offensichtlich gar nichts über Indianer (Listen , seemingly nobody knows even something About Indians) , Ich nehme an keiner von euch (I guess nobody of you knows something About Indians). Also hier ist die Story (Okay , that´s the Story) : Das soll ein Wegweiser der Indianer sein (This is supposed to be a marker of the Indians). Sagen wir , ihr hättet einen Häuptling ( Let´s say , you have a Chief). Und der verlässt seine ? ( I really couldn´t understand what he said there , it was probably Squaw in both languages) oder seine Frau oder was auch immer (And he leaves his [Squaw?] or his wife or whoever). Und der tut sich mit einer anderen Frau zusammen und haut mit ihr ab (And he goes together with another Woman and leaves with her). Also er geht weg und lässt seinen Sohn bei der Mutter zurück und ein zwei Wochen danach will der Sohn zu seinem Vater , weil er lernen will , wie man mit Pfeil und Bogen auf Büffel schießt und all die Dinge (So he leaves his son by his mother and one/two weeks later the son wants to go to his Father because he wants to learn how to hunt a buffalo with bow and arrow and all those Kind of Things). Also er macht sich auf dem Weg und plötzlich sieht er diese Steine hier (So he goes to find his Father and suddenly he finds These Stones here). Sein Vater ist also offensichtlich diesen Weg gegangen (His Father obviously took this path). Aber er wirft den Haufen um bevor ihn seine Mutter sieht , denn er will von ihr nichts mehr wissen (But he knocks the pile down before his mother sees it because he doesn´t want to see her anymore). Das wäre die Grundgeschichte (So that´s the main Story). Man weiß in welche Richtung man gehen muss (You know in which direction you have to go).

Kid : Wenn der denkt , dass das eine wahre Geschichte ist , dann spinnt der doch ein bisschen (If he [he is Cort] thinks , that this is a true Story , then he probably is out of his mind).